AnanyaS

Goblin
Jan 21, 2017
Goblin is a great drama. I went into it with low expectations, but I was pleasantly suprised, or more accurately, I blown away. You can recognize a good drama by the way it makes you feel exactly what the characters in the drama are feeling. That's the way Goblin was for me, with each character, I laughed and I cried.

I'll TRY to keep the review sweet and short, so here are read more the reasons I enjoyed Goblin:
-The premise is unique. It's one of a kind. I haven't seen any other Kdramas with a similar plotline to Goblin, so that was a plus point.
-The actors do a superb job. I could feel their emotions from across the screen. then again, nothing less to be expected from such a spectacular cast.
-The drama has everything, ranging from bromance, romance to mytery and suspense.
-The bromance is spectacular. One of the most epic bromance I've ever seen in a Kdrama. It made me laugh a lot, but it also had its heartwarming and heartwrenching moments. Goblin and Grim Reaper's relationship is one of the best reasons to pick this up.
-The two couples- Goblin & Eun Tak and Grim Reaper & Sunny. Both couples had their own story. The sweet and cute moments of the Goblin couple & the sizzling chemistry between Grim Reaper and Sunny was enough to keep the 'romance' meter of the drama pretty high. You won't be able to get enough of the cuteness of Goblin & Eun Tak.
-The mystery of the characters. From 'the lady in red' to the king and queen, each episode just gave enough glimpse into their lives to keep us engrossed. It'll drive you crazy in a good way.
-Each minute of every episode was enjoyable. I didn't skip a single moment of any episode.
-The unexpectedness of the drama was really great. Just when you'd think you had something figured out, some twist would come along and surprise you. The writer sure did a tremendous job.
BONUS: Beautiful and addictive OST

I personally didn't find anything even remotely bad about it, but that's not to say other people won't, so here's a few things you should keep in mind before venturing into it.
-The age difference between Goblin [ (~939) he was 39 when he died and then immortal for 900 years] and Eun Tak (19).
-Comparatively less screen time for Sunny and Grim Reaper couple. But I suppose that's to be expected specially since the title alone indicates that Kim Shin (Goblin) is the main lead, so it's no wonder they get the most screen time.
-Worst product placement you'll ever see in a Kdrama. You might think I'm kidding but sometimes even the smallest thing can annoy you. I personally found those scenes amusing though.

So, to sum up- I LOVED this drama! Do give this one a chance, you won't be disappointed. Once you start it, chances are, you'll end up loving it. Happy Watching!
The Starry Night, The Starry Sea
Some dramas just click with you. It doesn't even have to have a spectacular cast or an intriguing storyline (both of which, it had). I don't normally watch C-dramas, but the reason I ventured into this was because I'm a big fan of fantasy dramas and the plot looked interesting. I wasn't expecting anything, but boy, was I surprised. It was love at first sight for me. I was hooked from the read more first episode. I'll try to explain why-
For fantasy drama lovers like me, the premise of the drama is interesting. It is by no means, unique, but nevertheless exciting to see. It was one of the dramas I looked forward to every week. And I'm glad to say I really really enjoy it (well 98% of it anyway, for the remaining 2% I wanted to find the screenwriter and kill him/ her, lol)
Despite it not being unique, the drama was able to elicit the right emotions from me, which truthfully, only very few dramas are able to do. I loved the hero, I hated the villain- it was just the way it's supposed to be.
I specially liked Wu Julan's character. FSF did such a wonderful job in portraying him. He's definitely not just another beautiful face! And the way he would smile (although it happened rarely)...*swoon*
The main couple was adorable. I was so so much invested in them. The way they slowly but steadily grew closer. I loved every minute of their screen time! Even the secondary couple had me intrigued to see how their story would unfold.
The female lead's acting was a bit awkward at times, specially in crying scenes, but I grew used to it with each progression of episode.
All in all, I enjoyed this drama very much. The ending was a bit disappointing (to say the least), but I enjoyed the remaining so much, I can't really hate the drama for it.
The OST of this drama was also really good, specially the ED song 'Echo'.
Do give this a try!
Duang Jai Akkanee
Sep 13, 2016
You might think that I overrated the show a bit. I mean 9.5 is pretty high. I do feel like I may be a little biased because-
-This is my first thai drama ever.
-And I'm a sucker for this kind of storyline. Seriously, I love those stories where the MCs hate each other at first and then fall in love together.
It might not be a 9.5 worthy show, BUT I read more can assure you it's a definite 8.5 (that is however, if you like rom-coms and this type of storyline) So, give it a chance, you won't be disappointed.
As apparent from the synopsis above, Duang jai Akkanee is a modern day version of Romeo & Juliet.
The basic storyline of the show is that Fai (male MC) and Jeed (female MC) come from families that hate each other. And at first, they share that sentiment too. But overtime, they fall in love.
It might not be the first show to implement the 'enemies-to-lovers' storyline, but believe me, it plays it really well. The actors are really natural.
As to why I liked the show (aside of the aforementioned reason) : At first this seemed like a typical rom-com, and it is, no doubt about it. However it also shows serious obstacles that our MCs have to face. It features the terrible problems of gambling, fraud and it shows how much pride can affect our lives for the negative.This show features people with real problems and not just ones that never actually happen in real life. PLUS, the main couple are just sooo cute, both Jeed and Fai.
Only fact I was bothered by was the fact that everyone took the act of rape very lightly, joking abut it and all. Personally, I pretended it didn't happen (to that degree). It was for, like, a single episode anyway.
Happy watching! :)
Dec 9, 2016
Please Love The Useless Me is a typical rom-com, complete with our naive heroine (Michiko), our rough-around-the-edges hero (Shunin) and the secondary lead (Mogami), who you can't help but feel sorry for. PLTUM is cheesy, cliché and predictable, but in my opinion, it doesn't make it less enjoyable, especially if you love light-hearted rom-coms.
The story starts with our kind, inexperienced and naive heroine who's unemployed but is financially supporting a university read more guy, who turns out be *gasp* scamming her . This is where our hero comes in who takes her in, gives her a job, helps her out. Then throw in the secondary lead, our heroine's quite sudden realization of love and even more sudden realization of love for our hero, and you've got the condensed version of the show.
THE GOOD:
- Despite this being a rom-com, it doesn't feature the typical jerk male lead. Sure he's a bit rough around the edges, but all he does to help Michiko far overcomes that flaw. Shunin is probably the first male lead that I liked, not because of good looks (doesn't mean he's not good-looking) but because of his behaviour.
-A lot of people were in love with a lot of other people (seriously) BUT they were all nice to each other. There were no cat-fights because of a man or any jealous moments for the male leads.
-Very light-hearted and cute. I didn't skip out any moments and it had me looking forward to the next episodes.
-Happy Ending!!

THE BAD:
-Though everything was resolved in the end with our main leads getting together, I still felt as though I didn't have closure. I was left with burning questions of 'when did he fall in love with her?'

Despite that, I very much enjoyed the series. Give it a try!
Bromance
Nov 22, 2016
Bromance is my first gender bender drama. I know, I'm quite behind. I picked up one a few years ago but ended up dropping it after 1 episode since I didn't get into it. Needless to say, I was hesitant to pick up another gender bender drama. But I digress.
To put it into a simple sentence I loved it. I loved the story, the cast, the ost. Pi Ya Nuo did read more a great job acting as a guy. Zifeng (Chen Baron) has definitely added his name in my favorites list. He did a great job. He's cute, funny, sexy- basically the whole package. The OTP's story is cute and also funny at times. Bromance is one of the very few dramas where I liked each and every character and where I didn't skipped episodes.
If we talk about the couples, my favorite would be, without any doubt- Nana and Yang. Don't get me wrong, the main couple is also very good, but I loved the side couple. Their love story grows in the sidelines but is just as interesting, if not more. He's series and quiet and she's bubbly and charming, Tell me, how are they not meant to be?
All in all, I enjoyed this drama very much. Give it a chance!

India