Fraxer

The Four
Jul 15, 2015
So I make a comeback into watching Wuxia, which I gave up on after a series of disastrous twists/sad endings. So before I start with the review, lemme talk about what I expect from a Wuxia drama.
1. No overglorification of a single character.
2. Good romance and chemistry between the lead pair(s).
3. Decent CG.
4. Good costumes.
5. A somewhat good ending (All those "see you in the next life" read more endings are annoying when they pop up without warning)

Story: It is yet another adaptation of Si Da Ming Bu by Wen Rui'an. The title literally means "The Four Great Constables" and chronicles the journey of the Infamous Four of the Divine Deputy Bureau as they try to maintain peace, investigate cases, destroy the great villains and put an end to the devious plans of the Royal Lord An Shi Di.

Characters:
"Cold Blood" Ling Xie: The leader of the Infamous Four. Rude and indifferent on the outside, but it all stems from his tragic past. He is the prince of the wolf tribe who lives for vengeance on those who killed his people. Though his life span is shortened by the wolf poison in his heart, revenge is his sole purpose in life till he meets Chu Ying Xue (as expected?).

"Heartless" Wu Qing: Kind and gentle - in many ways the opposite of Cold Blood, but is eternally suffering due to a tragic love. But is his lover actually dead? Can they be still reunited? Or is she the one actually destined for him? The questions are answered as the story progresses. Keep your napkins ready though.

"Chaser" Zhui Ming: A jolly fellow and also a friend of the princess. Has been in love with the princess, but she is infatuated with Cold Blood.

"Iron Fist"; Tie Shou: Gets his name from the iron gauntlet on his hand and a prodigy as hand-to-hand combat. Has his own romantic interest.

Chu Ying Xue / Chu Li Mo: A seemingly naive girl, who is actually the daughter of the Holy Moon Sect's leader and has the ability to read minds. Her stepparents force her to become a royal concubine, but she escapes and is taken in the Divine Deputy Bureau as a maid. Initially dislikes Cold Blood, but starts caring for him after learning about his past and eventually falls in love with him.

Ji Yao Hua: Member of the Divine Deputy Bureau and grew up with the Infamous Four. Has been in love with Cold Blood despite knowing his secret. In her own words, "When he dies, I wish to die with him." One character we really learn to love and pity in the first half. But does she really give up on Cold Blood? Or is this the beginning of something sinister?

An Shi Di: The primary villain in the series. Wishes to obtain the divine skills and would go to any lengths to do it. But what is his aim? World domination? Or something more?

Others: There are others who might be considered primary characters, but in my opinion, the story revolves around these 7.

The main reason I finished the drama so quickly is Janine. She looks absolutely adorable in traditional Chinese dresses. Her on-screen chemistry with Zhang Han is pretty good as well. Jia Qing did her bit very well. There are so many times one wishes a better future for her - but Janine still comes first :| The four male leads do justice to their roles. Though Zhang Han and Yang Yang get more screen time, the others are not neglected either. A couple of the other female leads are downright irritating, but I guess we just oughta live with it. Loved the costumes on the actresses. Always feels good having multiple romantic threads in the story, with most, if not all, having happy endings.

Music: Fits the story, though nothing great about it.

Rewatch: Yes, it is lengthy and yes, it might get repetitive at times. But nevertheless, it can be watched again and again if you fell in love with the characters (which I did).

PS: I feel this review is kinda lengthy yet inadequate in places. I'll try to edit it later when I have time. Thanks for reading!
Noble, My Love
Sep 28, 2015
Yay, a short-cut to bliss! If you like cheesy Korean romantic dramas but don't have the time to watch the lengthy ones or the patience to tolerate the evil mother-in-law or the plotting sister-in-law or the jealous ex-gf occupying prime time, this is the one for you! ^^

Story: Nothing new here, rich guy comes across a poor girl who's not smitten by money. He gets curious about her and falls in read more love. The girl follows suit. There is some parental opposition, obsessed lover-wannabe, etc. but they don't play make much difference to the storyline.

Acting/Cast: It centers around just two characters played by Sung Hoon and and Kim Jae Kyung. I liked Jae Kyung in God's Quiz 4, but this was my first time watching Sung Hoon. Though I won't say they did an exceptional job, but they kinda complemented each other on screen very well. His brother and secretary and her friends play minor roles in the story, though I didn't pay much attention to them.

Music: Nothing original but considering 15-min episodes, they suffice.

Rewatch: Yes, yes and yes! Mainly coz it's so short, but also coz of the feel-good factor.

Concluding Thoughts: Nothing new about the story, nothing new about the execution, nothing spectacularly great about the acting and yet - it's pretty much awesome considering the time invested.
Dear Mom
Jun 16, 2015
As the synopsis says, it's a drama about four sisters and their romantic pursuits - the caring first sister, the clumsy second, the worldly wise third (who still goes the wrong way in life) and the annoying fourth. And frankly, it leaves me unimpressed. I'd have so much preferred if it was a 20-30 episode series with only one couple - the second sister Yi Wan (Tseng Joanne) and Xiao Fei (Sia read more Melvin), or in the worst case two couples. The lesser said about the younger two sisters, the better. It's the antics of Crazy Dog Qin aka Mad Dog King (rofl at the name - and the character justifies it) following the orders of Xiao Fei's mother which keeps the viewers glued, despite the occasional overacting.

The other stories are mere fillers, all following the time-tested formula of a single mother, a marital affair, an unrequited love and so on. After a while, the director seems to have lost track of the individual threads - with so many episodes focusing on particular characters and forgetting about the rest. There are so many unconvincing scenes, like when Xiao Fei says something like,"After we married, it seems like I make you angry so often", and I had to go back searching if I had missed any scenes, coz the only things I remembered were them quarreling a couple of times about watching TV and throwing socks on the floor. I think most of the actors did a good job, just that I didn't find their characters very interesting. Nothing exceptional about the music, but can listen to it a few times.

Rewatch value: 10 for the Crazy Dog and Yi Wan/Xiao Fei story, 5 for the Lian Qing story, 0 for the Xiao Xi story, 2 for the others.

If you like romantic stories, you must watch this for this one pair (you might like the others as well - I didn't). It has pretty much everything - the interesting first encounter, how they come to regard each other, one mom who tries to force them together, another who's opposed initially but comes around in the end, the interesting sidekicks and finally, no romantic triangle/ jealous lovers (there's a small one, but doesn't last long and had a graceful closure).
Whisper
May 22, 2017
A drama which generates mixed feelings. But the feeling of "so near, yet so far" dominates them all. It had a bit of various genres, but not enough of any. A story with the backdrop of a law firm, but the law is overshadowed by politics. There isn't enough intuitive crime detection to call it a crime/investigation drama. Just some sprinkle of romance here and there, so can't be called a romantic read more one either.

Yet another saga of how power corrupts people who in turn corrupt others as well. An honest judge is forced to convict an innocent man. The convicted man's daughter who is a cop, decides to set things right. Things start off badly between the protagonists, but they gradually come to understand each other and work together. It starts off with a lot of promise, but it gradually turns out to be a tug-of-war. Expected things happen, but the audience are kept waiting in the tussle between (good and evil?)

The actors have done a decent job, but the major expressions in the drama are poker face and smirk, and not all of them seem natural. A bit more of joy would've been nice.

Rewatch value is kinda low for me. The last two episodes kinda killed it all.

It's definitely worth a one time watch, start with no expectations and you might be in for a surprise!
The Crossing Hero
Jul 15, 2015
Finally the wait is over. Before starting, I'd like to thank the subbing team/group for the good work. This was yet another random find after which I ended up patiently waiting for the subbed episodes every week.

Story: During the Ming dynasty, Hong Xi Dong is the leader of Emperor Zhu Yun Wen’s personal bodyguard detail. Then the 'Nine Turns Luminous Night Pearl' is missing and he's suspected to have stolen it. read more Two palace guards Peng Ze and Xu Xiao Tian chase him and they all somehow end up in the 21st century, where they meet a lookalike of Xi Dong.

Characters:
Hong Xiao Dong / Hong Xi Dong: Xi Dong is from the era of the Mings and Xiao Dong from the 21st century. It is unclear at the beginning whether they are the same person or reincarnations. Xiao Dong is a former police officer who became a private detective when his ideals about the police force were shattered. He has the ability to read minds and transforms into Xi Dong under specific circumstances, seemingly in the presence of Xian Ting (who he remembers as Xian Er once transformed). But is she the one responsible for the transformation?

Peng Ze and Xu Xiao Tian: Two palace guards from the Ming dynasty who end up in modern Taiwan. The initial episodes focus on how they adapt to the changes in the environment. Though they initially suspect Xiao Dong to be the thief, they are soon convinced (primarily by Mo Han, who undertakes the task of getting them used to the 21st century) that he is, in fact, the good guy. Then they join forces to find the pearl.

Zhang Xian Ting / Xian Er: Xian Ting is the "Go Go Go" poster girl of a news channel who is forced by her editor to wear weird costumes while reporting. She wants to be a principled reporter and report actual news. Seeing an opportunity to interview the palace guards, she contacts Xiao Dong. Though their relationship is strained in the beginning, she falls for him after learning about his past. Supposedly, she's the reincarnation of Xian Er, the wife of Xi Dong. Though Nikki shines in her role, she does look kinda shabby next to Jiro Wang sometimes.

Mo Han: One of the members of Xiao Dong's detective agency. Has idolized and loved Xiao Dong since he saved her from an assailant during her high school days. her image is that of a peppy girl, but inside she's caring and understanding. Once she realizes the love between Xiao Dong and Xian Er, she lets her feelings go and in turn, paves the way for a new love.

There are other characters providing the much needed comic relief. Overall, the casting and performance are adequate, if not exemplary at times.

Concluding Thoughts: The ending was not conclusive and indicates a second season. In fact, without a second season, the ending is downright ridiculous - simply too many open ends to be resolved.

Music: Both the opening (The Great Hero by Jiro Wang) and ending (Love Influenza by Kirsten Ren) are worth listening to a few times.

Rewatch: It is a complete drama with doses of romance, comedy and action. Can be watched again if time permits.
Love on a Rooftop
Aug 5, 2015
I absolutely detest writing a review without finishing a drama, but I fear I won't be able to finish this one. My eternal patience has given way to annoyance and even murderous intent - so I'll stop lest I decide to start plotting against the crew. I've come a long way (85 episodes), so I guess I'm not dropping it without trying. So why am I giving up when there are only read more 15 episodes remaining?

Two reasons:
1. Every drama has lovable characters who keep the viewers occupied. This drama has no consistent ones. Even the supposedly good characters behave like retards more than once.
2. After 85 episodes, I feel like the story so far could've been as well been covered in 8 episodes.

Lets start with the synopsis - "A drama about a woman who finally becomes a part of a family after re-adoption and man who chooses love over family." I seriously wonder how this synopsis was written (gets my nomination for the worst synopsis reward). After around 43 hours, I'm not convinced that she's becoming a part of the family but I'm already convinced he's not choosing love over family.

Coming to the story, this features the most hopeless and pointless love quadrangle I've ever seen seen in a drama. Seems more like mere obsession and rivalry rather than love. The so-called hero keeps jumping all over the place with his decisions. Every drama has characters you'd like to kill off so that the rest can be in peace. But if you start doing it here, there'll be no one left.

The only redeeming point was the music - I kinda liked the opening theme.

Rewatch: The "watch" value itself tends to zero - the rewatch might as well go into negative.

Concluding Thoughts: I might've been critical and exaggerated here and there, but I'm at the pinnacle of vexation and have been ruing the wasted hours of my life. There are loads of good family-oriented dramas out there like Glorious Day, Family's Honor, Assorted Gems and Daughters-in-law. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this contraption.
Madam Cutie On Duty
Jul 16, 2015
I've been shying away from HK drama all this time. Probably because I usually do it in waves. Japanese gave way to Korean, then Taiwanese and Chinese. Once I watch all the dramas I really feel like, I move on to the next language. That being said, this was my HK drama and I loved it! ^_^

Story: Two cops go undercover (or are forced to) into a public housing community as read more a married couple to find out about a loan-shark company supposedly operating from there. As expected, they keep bickering with each other, while slowly falling in love. Or are they already in love?

Law Dai Shu / Paul: An uptight officer, whose mother ran away with his family's money to get plastic surgery done. Since then, he hates people who go for plastic surgery. Has been dating the same girl for 7-8 years, but they gradually grow apart and break up. He goes undercover as a plumber and soon becomes popular with the ladies for his looks.

Fa Ping / Apple: After being teased for being ugly as a child, she believes that becoming beautiful can change her life. After a life-changing plastic surgery, she becomes popular with men. Has a soft corner for fellow officer, but Paul was her first love. She initially hates him since she heard him telling his friends that he'll never date such an ugly girl, but gradually realizes all that he's been through in life and the spark of love ignites again. (Banzai!) Though she's a spoilt young lady, she soon picks up the habits of housewives like bargaining and cooking. Her transformation is a real treat to watch.

The chemistry between the two is amazing throughout. It is entertaining without being clingy or overbearing. It is pretty much a one-track romance as his (ex-)gf and her crush hardly play an important role and are soon shown to be not worthy of the protagonists - so much better than unrequited true love and buckets of tears. As they live together, they come to understand the importance of having someone to care for. Their parents, especially his father and her mother are amusing as they try to interfere in the love lives of their children. Their senior officer with his T.I.A.O. ("This is an order!") is hilarious to say the least. He picks up new and crazy spots for their secret meetings every time - you just can't keep waiting for where/how he'll turn up next. I didn't pay much attention to the other housewives, but they did their part. The ending is a simple feel-good one without any major twists. Overall, this is a drama I'd highly recommend if you're looking for a light-hearted romcom.

Rewatch: If I have time, definitely!
Hidden Identity
Aug 5, 2015
Phew, that was fun! And I'm sad to see it ending so soon. It made for a refreshing change from previous spy dramas like Spy which were nothing but romantic stories with a spy-ish flavor. Not that I hate romantic side-stories - I love them, but only as long as they stay on the side.

Story: This drama focuses more on events rather than characters - at least that's the impression I read more got. It has its pros and cons - there are times you feel a character is dispensable and there are also times when you're not sad when a character dies coz you never felt one with him/her. It focuses on investigative Team Five - "We hide our identities to catch criminals. We don't exist in any records, not even police records." The concept is nothing new - it's been tried and tested over and over again. But its a worthwhile watch. There is a teeny-weeny bit of romance in the flashback scenes, but it doesn't interfere with the story. For those who think that with a young man and woman in the team, romance will bloom eventually - think again!

Acting/Cast: I like how equal importance is given to almost all of the team members. Frankly, I prefer this rather than the hero-worship of one or two persons with everyone else sidelined. I've seen most of the actors in some drama before (but hardly remember) and they did justice to their roles. Most of the times they are seen sporting stoic expressionless faces, so I'm not sure if my judgement is proper. I remember Lee Won Jong from The Girl Who Sees Smells and kinda miss his humor here.

Music: Great OST - loved it.

Rewatch: Why not!

Concluding Thoughts: Nothing new about the story, nothing new about the execution. But if you're a fan of spy/police/investigative dramas, you can try this once. It's better than many others I've seen in recent times.
Mask
Jul 30, 2015
Finally, it ends - and the feeling it instills in me is not joy, sorrow or anguish, but relief! It was an interesting drama, but perhaps deserved a better treatment.

Story: Yet another saga of lookalikes, where one dies and the other takes her place.
Déjà vu?
1. One is poor, the other rich.
2. They are polar opposites in character.
3. The one still alive falls in love with someone related read more to the one who dies.

But in spite of the predictability (yes it was predictable, and anyone who refuses to acknowledge is blinded by their love for the actors and whatnot), it made for an enjoyable watch.

It revolves primarily around four people (or should I say five?).

Choi Min-woo: The illegitimate son of the chairman of SJ group and heir apparent. It is apparent since his father's only legitimate child is a girl. As such, he is resented by his stepsister and stepmother. With a sad childhood and having grown up without any affection, he finds it difficult to interact with others affably.

Choi Mi-yeon: Min-woo's half-sister who believes that she (and her husband) ought to be the heir to her father's company. Just a pompous rich lady, but we are led to believe that she does care for her brother.

Min Seok-hoon: Mi-yeon's husband, driven by greed. He's willing to go to any length for preventing Min-woo being declared the successor.

Seo Eun-ha: The daughter of a congressman and Min-woo's fiancée. Also the lover of Min-woo's brother-in-law Seok-heon (really? gimme a break! I'm glad she died)

Byun Ji-sook: A poor girl burdened by her family's debts and Eun-ha's lookalike. After Eun-ha's death, she is blackmailed by Seok-heon to take her place and help him in his devious plans. Gradually, she sees in Min-woo his suffering and his longing for love. Motherly care gives way to feminine affection (yay! banzai!!!)

So we have clearly demarcated sub-plots here.
1. Seok-heon will do anything he can to topple Min-woo.
2. Ji-sook and Min-woo will eventually fall in love (everyone knows its bound to happen).
3. Mi-yeon will resolve her feelings towards her brother and husband.

So what made this drama unique? Or is it really unique? I've read people claiming this is the "Drama of 2015", and I believe they said that for Healer and Kill Me, Heal Me as well. I support no such claims, barring the one that this is a worthwhile series. The actors did a magnificent job here and that probably made all the difference. The lead pair shared an awesome on-screen chemistry. It was a treat to watch them fall in love. It was the two of them standing up for each other which kept the series alive amidst all the conspiracies. Soo Ae did a commendable job in both her roles. The scenes I loved most were when Ji-sook tried to understand Eun-ha and realized how different they are. Also, her transition from a timid girl fighting for her family to a headstrong one fighting for the man she loves is zap, just fantastic. Yeon Jung-hoon as the malicious villain is convincing (yes, we do feel he should just die and let us be in peace).

The music is good (can't bring myself to say great), and it suits the story.

Not something I'd like to rewatch, but you never know.

Concluding Thoughts: This is a drama shouldered by good acting and supported by a decent storyline. Though it gets overbearing at times with all the politics, I'd recommend it for a one-time watch. The ending is kinda bittersweet and we do feel sorry for some, but it's all in the game.
Queen of Housewives
Jul 7, 2015
So I finished watching the drama and the question I'm asking myself is,"Why did I watch it?" I'm neither fond of such stories nor am I a big fan of any of the actors. I just somehow ended up here from Queen of Reversals and decided to give it a try - and I finished it before I knew it. Does that mean I enjoyed it? Not really, lets just say I read more had too much time on hand and nothing better to do!

It's more or less about office politics involving the workers and their wives. Just to give a basic premise, the story of the two high school classmates is introduced. There is a severe dose of unhappiness in married life and extra-marital affairs, which frankly, I'm not a big fan of. Romance is limited and often in the wrong place (there was some cheesy romance between Bong Soon and Joon Hyuk near the end). I wish the cat fights between the female leads had some humor in them, but it leaves one disappointed and irritated at times. The ending was kind of orthodox (feel good? maybe).

The actors did a decent job, but most of the characters were not lovable. There are times you feel sad for Ji Ae and Bong Soon, but they were short-lived for me. A couple of good songs in the background manage to salvage something.

Rewatch value is very low coz I doubt anyone would ever rewatch this (lol!)
Cha Cha For Twins
Jul 9, 2015
Well, I guess this movie is not a very popular one considering how difficult it was for me to get hold of a copy. Not many ratings on mdl either. Anyway, let me proceed!

Story: It's just your run of the mill high school romcom with the two female leads being twins. Nothing new about it - one's an extrovert, the other an insecure introvert. And nothing new about the execution either read more with too many loose ends. Only the feelings of the boys were clear, not the girls. The romance was so feeble that even if the pairings were swapped in the end, no one would've cared (or even noticed, for that matter). I'm not a fan of cheesy romance, but I would've even lapped that up here. The story was supposed to be about two twins and their realization about their individuality, but till the end, neither are they convinced nor are the audience.

Acting/Cast: The casting was pretty much spot on though. I think Huang Peijia is made for schoolgirl roles (I absolutely disliked her role in Be With You - she looks like a kid opposite Bobby Dou). Yogurt was cheeky, Ping even more so.

Music: No background score - and I mean absolutely nothing. And it seems I can't give 0, so lemme just make it 1.

Rewatch Value: One good thing about it is that its short. So on a boring day, I won't mind rewatching Yogurt trying to woo Mini.
Assorted Gems
Jul 1, 2015
Well, I decided to try this after serious considerations and I can't say I really regret it. I read people cribbing about the ending, but it wasn't so horrible as I've read, neither was it unexpected.

Unlike many other dramas I've seen, the story did carry some sorta message, with the children realizing the plight of parents when they themselves become one. Well, on the other hand, Yeong Guk's parents were a read more delight to watch. I had serious doubts about an old lady acting like a kid, be she did it without being too annoying. The various romantic threads seem to fit well with the characters.

Don't seem to remember anything about the music though I watched it only yesterday, so that's a low out there.

One serious issue I had with the drama was the annoying pair of Ho Bak and Kkeut Soon. Oh well, even their names sounded pesky to me! So much in contrast with their siblings. At least that girl is a spoiled princess as expected, but the guy behaves like a retard even after coming from humble beginnings. Without them, I would've loved the drama enough to give it even a 9. Kill them off or maroon 'em off to some island in the pacific - and I'll contemplate rewatching this.
Brick Slaves
Sep 26, 2015
Boy oh boy, tremendous promise showed in the first few episodes but unable to sustain it throughout. Not a very exuberant title, and I daresay I expected better execution from a TVB drama.

Story: It catalogs the struggles of lower and middle class residents of Hong Kong as they try to buy a house. Starts off pretty well, but after a while monotony creeps in and refuses to leave. It also did read more become predictable at times.

Acting/Cast: The main couple was little better than passable. Their chemistry as friends/flatmates absolutely rocked, but as lovers? Something was amiss. I wish Jack was shown to be have some more backbone. Even after half the series is over, he's still attached to his ex who dumped him for a rich guy. Selena Li as Cecelia does a decent job, though I feel she's not suitable for teary scenes.

Peggy is good as the youthful character in the show and House provides the much needed comic relief. Too many other characters who tend to go in circles (a lot!).

The story keeps losing steam and eventually the "feel-good" ending is not as convincing as it ought to be.

Music: Not a fan of HK music, and this one's nothing special.

Rewatch: Probably not, maybe if it was a 10-episode series...!

Concluding Thoughts: I started writing this with the aim of writing a detailed review, but somehow couldn't and have to stop with a half-baked one. Probably coz though I liked the series in bits and pieces, I never found reasons to love it. Not very recommended, but if you have ample time at hand, why not!
Blue Swallow
Aug 5, 2015
That was.. unexpected! After reading the synopsis (I hadn't read the true story of Park Kyung-won by then), I expected the heroic saga of a woman triumphing in a male-dominated society. Perhaps she did, but not in the way I was looking forward to.

Story: It is based on the true story of the first Korean female civilian pilot Park Kyung-won. To achieve her dream of becoming a pilot, she travels to read more Japan and enrolls in an aviation school there. "At 10:35 AM on of 7 August 1933, she took off in her Salmson 2A2 biplane, named the Blue Swallow, from Tokyo's Haneda Airport on one such flight to Manchuria; she crashed 42 minutes later near Hakone, Kanagawa and died." - Wikipedia

Now for what the directors/writers did. They push in a melo romantic thread in the form of a Korean exchange student in Japan, later an officer in the met department. If I say anymore, I'll be dishing out spoilers - so watch the conclusion yourself. Apart from this, the story kinda follows the facts.

Acting/Cast: Not a fan of any of the actors here, but I think they did a decent job. Frankly, I expected more glamour from the Koreans - but well, maybe this was for the best.

Music: Nothing much to say about - just a few background scores.

Rewatch: Don't think I'm going to, but you never know.

Concluding Thoughts: Go with no expectations and you might be pleasantly surprised.
7 Days In Life
Jul 18, 2015
Ok I'm stumped and clueless. I really don't understand how this drama is rated sub-7, when so many retarded (pardon my French) Kdramas get 8+ ratings (o_O). Such is the case with many other TVB HK dramas. I hope people won't judge them so just because they don't have a cutie pie as the hero and glossy, heavily-made up actresses playing the lead roles (many of them are attractive here as well). read more Story: A variety of people gather in the Wonderful Harbour Hotel on a particular day when a Mexican diplomat staying there contracts a new strain of influenza. Keeping up with the health laws, the whole hotel along with its residents is quarantined for 7 days. The story follows these 7 days, as the viewers gain insights into the reasons such an odd group of people turned up there at the same time. This is based on a true event from 2009, when the first H1N1 case was reported in a hotel in Wanchai and the hotel was sealed off for 7 days.

Characters (this might be long, but I'll try to keep it short):
Chiu Chin Lung: A typical 'act first, talk later' cop. He can't ignore injustice, which leads to him taking matters into his hands and landing him in trouble. He's investigating the kidnapping of a boy and ends up in the hotel while chasing the suspects.

Tong Ching: An enthusiastic journalist, who gets to know Lung the day before the quarantine. She enters the hotel to get evidence of an affair between a rich businessman and a bank superintendent. She joins hands with Lung to track down the kidnappers.

Yik Cho On / Calvin: A professional thief (a la Robin Hood?) who robs the rich and donates a fraction of the loot to charity. He disguises as a Thai Chinese businessman. As is expected, we get glimpses into his past, showing why he became what he is.

Wong Ka Yu / Christy: Calvin's partner and girlfriend, disguised as the wife of a rich Shanghai businessman. Though her rational personality clashes with Calvin's impulsive one, they care for each other deeply.

Ho Chan: The jack of all trades at the hotel. He is nicknamed Chief and seems to have a hidden past, which once revealed, can throw many lives into disarray. He helps Lung and Ching with their investigations.

Tai Siu Nam: The bellboy at the hotel, who is in cahoots with the kidnappers.

Liu Ho Yan / Judy: The hotel concierge, who chases rich men and falls in love with Calvin.

Yao Dan: A supermodel (but is she really who she claims she is?)

Au Yeung Ka Ka: An escort, who gets called out by a businessman staying at the hotel and ends up getting quarantined. One of the few who actually enjoy the situation.

Kwok Wing-mui: Lung's mother who's obsessed with getting him married.

Acting/Cast: Most of the actors did a great job, especially Cheng Joyce. She really shines as your plain Jane. The scenes between her and Bosco Wan are a treat to watch. No romance, its just a pair of incidental friends poking around. Ma Steven and Kwok Sonija share a great on-screen chemistry with their constant on-off relation. Barring maybe one or two, you just don't get to hate anyone ^_^

Music: I'm no big fan of HK music, but I found this one entertaining (enduring?)

Rewatch: This can be categorized as a thriller with a dose of comedy and romance. There are really not many unnecessary scenes. One of the few dramas I feel I can rewatch without using the fast-forward option!

Concluding Thoughts: This is really an awesome drama with a highly convincing ending. It can be seen as an "everyone gets what they want" scenario, but you do feel sorry for the most unlikely people. With so many stories tied-in, the director did a meticulous job of keeping the audience occupied. When the bunch of unconnected people start to bond together, you really start cheering for them. After all, no man is an island.

It might not have the glamour of many other dramas, but that is not what it was meant to be. TVB dramas are known for their outlook at reality and this drama excels with that perspective. If you appreciate a good story with good acting, this is the one for you. Highly recommended!

May 23, 2017