hekeykomoreee

Bromance
Jun 10, 2017
I pretty much cringed, eye-rolled, and retched my way through every episode. The suspension of disbelief was too great. Megan Lai's character, Pi Ya Nuo, seemed to be more of a mockery than a genuine attempt at being "one of the boys". She came across more as a lesbian with a terrible sense of fashion. The chemistry between the romantic leads was nearly extinct, registering somewhere between zero and lame. Some of read more the fight scenes looked like they were choreographed by Richard Simmons and Baron Chen never convinced me that he was a mafia boss' son. He would be more believable as the leader of a Disney street gang comprised of a bunch of aging, disgruntled, former idol pop stars. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm completely in love with Mandy Tao I would've abandoned this show early on. Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy T-dramedies, but not this one.
Investigator Alice
Jul 17, 2017
I would say this show was bad, but that would mean it was intended to be good.
I guess viewers were supposed to be educated as well as entertained, but they have to be interested first.
Eight episodes of Investigator Alice was 8 episodes too many.
K-pop stars are often used by the So Ko show biz industry to attract younger audiences to watch shows where the subject matter may be too read more complex or just plain boring. However, Kim Nam Joo's acting did nothing to make this show even boring (boring being a step up from the snoozefest it is).
This show had no pulse, as she flatlined through every episode.
The only take away from this train wreck is that Kim Nam Joo has set the bar pretty low for future K-pop stars to make the transition from singing to acting (or whatever it is she was doing).
***WARNING***
There is an Investigator Alice 2!
My Queen
Jul 6, 2017
I was tempted to rip this show a new one after watching episode 33, which was at best terrible and at worst consistent -- consistently terrible. The writers must have been dropping acid when they wrote that episode. I mean, that was a real gamble. In the ending scene of the episode in question, I found myself unable to stop laughing, though I'm sure it was supposed to have a dramatic effect. read more However, I decided not to unleash my venom after watching the final episode. I was very satisfied with the ending and I found all the characters very likable.
Night Light
Jun 11, 2017
Yo-Won Lee owned the role of Seo Yi-Kyung, a ruthless and savvy Japanese business woman who disrupts South Korea's corporate boy's club in this brilliant K-drama. I absolutely loved the fact that she used her lady smarts and not her lady parts to get what she wanted. This show is a clear departure from other Asian dramas where women portray a more subordinate role, damsels in distress in constant need of rescuing read more where their only goal in life is to get married and have children. Night Light bitch slaps that notion with Seo Yi-Kyung bringing off-the-charts girl power and much needed feminine badassery to the corporate table.
Strong Woman Do Bong Soon
This show was trying to go in too many different directions at the same time but ended up being a heavy-handed romantic snooze fest with flashes of mostly bland humor and drama.
There never really seemed to be any sense of urgency to catch the bad guy.
How inept and pointless was that police force?
The real villains of this show are the writers by keeping the character of Do Bong Soon read more subordinate to the male lead whom she eventually marries, which shows a severe lack of imagination for a female character with super human strength.
I expected more "girl power" and female badassery from this show.
Other than being physically attractive, I saw no reason for the leads to be together.
I lost it when the bomb transformed into a fireworks display.
My Little Baby, Jaya
This movie certainly turns up the outrage to the point where my blood was boiling knowing that issues of bullying, rape, and suicide continue to plague high schools all over the world, but the greater tragedy is the systems that are allowed to remain in place, which more often blames and ultimately fail the victim.
I agree mostly with the Han Cinema review by William Schwartz that the amount of suffering Jaya read more endured was heavy-handed, eclipsing the majority of the movie, allowing us briefly to empathize with her father's feeling of helplessness and revenge.
Unfortunately, much of Jaya's suffering and death are in vain due to her father's cerebral palsy, as he goes on a sort of mentally challenged rampage that falls way short of meeting my criteria for vigilante justice.
Like Mr. Schwartz, I thought maybe she would've done better going with the social worker in the beginning.
Breakout
I just finished watching the final episode and I'm still laughing! This show never really took itself seriously though the story was very solid.
It seemed to be a parody of itself by overdosing on the absurd action and exaggerated performances of the actors resulting in a more comic effect rather than a dramatic one.
I recommend this show to anyone who needs a good laugh.
Playful Kiss
Jul 9, 2017
I thought the leads and the supporting cast performed very well, the characters were very believable and there was very little stretching of the imagination.
Ummm...but again, if I were Oh Ha Ni's father there'd be no way in hell I would want my daughter to be with an arrogant, condescending prick like Baek Seung Jo just because he's good looking. I mean, talk about low self-esteem! Wow!
Inborn Pair
Jun 23, 2017
***WARNING***
I'm not a fan whatsoever of Chris Wang's acting. Just puttin' that out there. It doesn't matter what T-dramedy he's in. I know I can expect to retch, roll my eyes, and cringe, in varying amounts depending on if he's cast as the romantic lead, supporting role, or just making a guest appearance.
Unfortunately, he was cast as the romantic male lead, Ke Wei Xiang in Inborn Pair, where his facial read more expressions seem to range from a happy-go-lucky-dumbass to a completely-clueless-dumbass, mouth open, with a look of mild to severe constipation in between.
I don't know. Maybe it's just me.
I mean, as the viewing audience we're already expected to overlook a lot of the technical shortcomings (scenes with no continuity where the actor will be shown smiling from one angle but crying from another), suspend our disbelief when it comes to the show's premise we know is not likely to occur in the real world in order to enjoy these TTV romcoms. But when you have an actor like Chris Wang giving such a robotic performance, never closing the emotional distance needed for me to sympathize with his character at any time, the show became a chore to watch.
Personally, I don't believe 84 episodes were needed to tell us that the romantic leads would eventually end up together.
But it's the journey that counts, not the destination. Right?
Yeah, whatever.
I think the producers of this show were actually trying to convince themselves that Ke Wei Xiang and Song Yi Jie (Annie Chen) were meant to be together, despite being manipulated into marriage.
Needless to say, I didn't buy it.
A lot of their "chemistry" was paper thin, failing to make the transition from script to screen. What I found problematic about Ke Wei Xiang was that he was near perfect and whatever character flaws he possessed were not deal breakers. And really there was no logical reason for Wei Xiang not to be with Luo Yun (Or more likely why she would want to be with a clingy, insecure momma's boy. But then Pops Luo brought her back to reality. I'm not saying I approve of his method but I like the results. I just wished somebody would've done the same for Yi Jie).
I got far more entertainment mileage from the rest of the supporting cast with all their flaws, shortcomings and far more interesting stories instead of Wei Xiang and Yi Jie's who-gives-a-shit romance. Still. Eighty-four episodes? WTF?
I LOVE YOU Puff Kuo, Jenna Wang, Jennifer Hong, Annie Chen, and Fu Yin in that order.
Ex-Boyfriend
Jun 19, 2017
I really enjoyed the first 12 episodes and then I guess the writers said, "Screw that! All the previous episodes don't mean a damn thang! Let's try something else." Don't get me wrong! I don't mind unconventional endings but this sucked. I was really let down. It was as if all the drama and shit that happened in the previous episodes was for nothing. Zilch. Zero. Nada. I propose a 15th episode read more where the supporting cast members (minus the one who was killed) from the previous episodes converge on Taipei and beat the living shit out of the romantic leads, a gesture symbolizing the anger fans have towards the writers, after receiving no return on their emotional investment in this show.
Oh yeah! If hot Taiwanese women think Jerry Huang is good looking then I'm living in the wrong fuckin' country! A one-way ticket to Taiwan, please!
Just You
Jun 15, 2017
Since this was the very first Taiwanese dramedy I watched I won't shit all over it. In fact, this show taught me not only how to watch and what to expect from other T-dramedies, but that I shouldn't review them using American standards to avoid being overly critical. I've also found that translation is very important when there's a language barrier. Sometimes the translation can be too literal and the context of read more a scene has been misinterpreted.
However, for TTV shows like these, if you've seen one...
They're predictable, cookie-cutter affairs that are ripe with mellow-drama, Disney-style humor, and OTT performances, which is what they're supposed to be. Formulaic.
TaiwaneseTV producers know all too well who the hell their target audience is and more importantly that they're willing to spend money on products that are carefully displayed (product placement) throughout the episodes.
Anywho, what I find entertaining and interesting about these shows is how Taiwanese culture defines romance and gender roles.
Unfortunately for Aaron Yan's character, Yi Qi, I was introduced to the role of the romantic male lead for the first time or who I would come to know as the lead asshole -- an arrogant, condescending prick who gets a free pass for being a dick because he has mommy issues. Of course, he's good looking, earns a lot of money and is well educated so he knows better than everybody else, meaning he has the power. He's in control. In most of the TTV dramedies I've watched, this has been the case.
Enter Puff Kuo's character, Liang Liang, who I absolutely adored. Her eyes are amazing. I mean, why else would I give a rat's ass that her goldfish died. Liang Liang is so likable to the point that I felt that no man deserved her attention, much less her affection. I was hoping at some point early on that the writers would have her character exhibit more independence and kickassery. But after watching all 39 episodes of this show I've learned, sadly, that that type of female character is not popular.
Murphy's Law of Love
Jun 11, 2017
A renew agent of divorce? Really?
I found this T-dramedy to be too formulaic, stacking the deck with eye candy in order to compensate for a very dull story.
Oh man! Ji Jia Wei has mommy issues! Who cares? And Guan Xiao Tong got stood up. So how does that make her a love expert?
I'm sorry but Danson Tang had this creepy androgynous vibe going on like a #prettyboystalkerserialkiller. Of course, read more he was very convincing as an emotionally distant asshole, which is apparently a requirement for the role of romantic male lead in most Taiwanese television shows.
Ivelyn Lee is incredibly cute and adorable but she looked underage and the o-t-t pouting served only to emphasize that fact. She looked like she should've been carded in various scenes. I foolishly thought that maybe, just maybe the writers at some point would use her fake-id-middle-schooler-who-is-caught-out-after-curfew-look as a vehicle for some much needed entertainment mileage but I guess I was wrong.
Boys Over Flowers
Jun 10, 2017
Unfortunately for Lee Min Ho, he looked much older than the high schooler he was attempting to portray and his hairstyle was ridiculous, an obvious attempt to make him appear youthful but a distraction throughout most of the episodes. He seemed overly committed to the role of F4's leader, Jun Pyo -- a rich, arrogant asshole with mommy issues and at no time did I root for him to be with Jan-Di. read more If I were her parents I wouldn't want my daughter anywhere near an unstable prick subject to violent outbursts. I mean, if this show is a reflection in any way of South Korea's culture at large than the entire country is filled with a bunch of romantic bullies! Jun Pyo's infantilizing treatment (a paternalistic father knows what's best for the child) of Jan-Di was difficult to watch but what was even more difficult to watch was her suffer from a kind of Stockholm Syndrome where the victim identifies with her attacker.
Stranger
This K-drama is very true to life, a tragic commentary on the world we live in.
I would definitely recommend it!
Pleasantly Surprised
The romantic leads were mismatched from the start with Puff having to do most of the romantic heavy lifting though her character was very antisocial.
I thought there was more chemistry between Hao Wei and Kai Qi.
Jasper Liu's character was too childish at times, which made it difficult for me to believe that he was this badass chef and that he possessed the know-how to run his father's company when he read more wasn't stalking Kai Qi.
It's never a good idea to rely on children too much in a supporting role because the cuteness factor quickly wears off and you find yourself wishing them bodily harm. At least, I did.
The entire kidnap/rescue scenes were laughable and not in a good way.
I absolutely loved the supporting cast because they made this show tolerable and fun to watch.
I think I'll take a break from watching Taiwanese television shows for a while thanks in large part to Jasper Liu's performance.

Male