blackstar_aria

Muscle Girl
11 of 12 people found this review helpful
Aug 7, 2011
1 word over-acted. Of course Lee Hong Ki is as adorable as a puppy, and his Japanese was surprisingly good, but the whole thing is way overacted. It is a comedy, with some action (the wrestling). It is built on an interesting premise and seems like it would be really good from the first 2 episodes, but the story line seems to go in circles making the 30 minutes that you watch read more it feel like an hour. The flash backs are numerous and repetitive and that makes you feel like you have already watched this episode. The end was lack luster and felt rushed as if the drama got cut short and they had to hurry and finish it. Some things were never explained and why the antagonist of the story had a sudden change of heart I guess we will never know.

What I did like was Hong Ki's smile, the girls overacting, and them pretending pro-wrestling was a sport. I have never been a fan of wrestling, but when they did the moves it seemed funny and made me want to clothes- line someone.

All in all, unless you are a fan of Lee Hong Ki, pointless dramas about girls trying to be tough, or if you are a pervert and like to see girls in mid-drifts and skirts hitting each other this drama is for you. Otherwise the first 3 episodes are enough to understand the plot and I really wouldn't bother with the ending.

oh and I didnt understand the lack of common sense and magical happenings in the last ep. just a note.
Juui Dolittle
7 of 7 people found this review helpful
May 6, 2011
I really liked this drama,because of the acting. Shun and Hiroki are a set of awesome actors! I really expected it to be like a Dr. Dolittle where he is litterally talking to the animals, but it wasnt like that at all. This is a really sweet story about a man who really cold on the outside but soft on the inside, how that man really cares for animals but not so read more much for people. Shun did such a great job!!

This is a rather serious drama, with animal surgery and a lot of animal topics that I didnt even know exsisted. Not much comedy, and a slight ( and I mean slight) bit of unrequited romance/ longing. Some of the major themes were: the little man fighting the big company, taking responsibility for your own life, compassion, and fighting your fears. I didnt like the ending because I wanted some people to get together (but oh well).
The Empress
May 30, 2012
I really liked Jotei, so I decided to watch Yeoje to see if it had a better ending or if it fixed some of the things i hated from Jotei. I will admit that I am a bit unfair in my critique because it took forever to finish this, and I ended up having to watch the last 2 episodes on my very limited knowledge of the Korean language.
I did like read more the updates to the story, some of the characters are older than they were, and some are younger. Yeoje was also way less pervy than Jotei, but the girls in Yeoje created senseless arguments. It was like the writter said, "these two are supposed to be in a conflict here". FOr the age of the girls the conflicts did not make sense like it did in Jotei where they were younger and immature. The use of technology is something that could not have been used in Jotei becasue it was so old, so it was cool to see gadgets used, in some cases i yelled "ha ha gotcha!"
I did not like the acting. It was awful, the actors were in some cases stiff, over emoting, stone faced, and in some cases looked like they came from acting 101. the main offender is the really hot male lead (who gets points for shirtless fan service), he had exactly 2 expressions and a really cute smile. I loved Matsuda in his role and I wanted Kang ji sub to bring it, but he dropped it somewhere before getting to set. The female lead wasnt really compelling either, although she had more expressions, i really hated her "i am strong" facade when she wasnt strong. Oh and her alligator tear scenes are hilarious.
Although the cast is really great looking, Yeoje didnt do something that Jotei was able to; Jotei made you feel for the characters, and even in the absurd situations they were in you rooted for them. Yeoje toyed with the main concept and in the end you didnt care whether everyone went up in flames or not.
Its not worth the work to find the drama (it was on cable tv), learn Korean to translate it, and then watch a over dramatizied version of Jotei. watch the first 3-4 episodes and then skip to the last one. If you watched the original you didnt miss anything.
p.s. the ending is the same.
Azumi
Jan 7, 2012
There were no reviews so I thought I would write one. Azumi is a really cool telling of the life of a female shinobi and how she has to constantly prove herself. The character is a very cool and strong girl, who is just finding out what romantic feelings are, dealing with losing her ninja family, betrayal, and revenge. The movie is has some really awesome ninja fighting scenes, great scenery and read more a bit of gore. Otherwise Ueto Aya is an awesome actress the embodiment of her character - really making you believe this character. Not as long as a drama, but a good watch and there is a sequel!
Rebound
Nov 11, 2011
Happy ending!!! I really liked the themes and messages in Rebound, and I think it's a truly worthwhile watch. The main idea is captivating; what happens when you are fat, loose weight, then gain it back? In this drama all hilarity ensues.

I really loved the cast everyone was well cast. Love Mokomichi and he looked so in his element! After Buzzer Beat I thought I would hate a Saki, read more but now I love her again. The leads had chemistry and when it was time to get down to some real emotional things they really delivered. I also liked their use of fat suits, they were the most realistic ones I have seen yet. Surprisingly this drama has a lot of little twists and turns all throughout it to keep it interesting, and a lot of comedic parts.

I did not like that the Nobuko character was a "Jolly" fat person , and how long it took her to realize things about her self and others (there was only so much yelling at her I could do). I also had a problem with the drama assuming all fat people could eat mounds of food, and were unlovable or just unattractive. The timelines on which they were getting skinny were so unlikely, however, they did briefly examine the dangers of diet pills. It took me a long time to finish this drama because Nobuko seems so foolish, and silly until she gets angry and that can be annoying. This drama does have a false ending, where they probably should have just stopped and said we are finished but they kept it going. This led to a feeling of 2 different stories being told, maybe there were 2 different writing teams. The first half works more on problems with weight and the second more so problems with life.

Overall, I thought this was an awesome watch and if you are stuck around episode 3-5 don't worry there is some great icing on this cake.

p.s. this is a comedy the characters are ridiculous and over the top.
Myu no Anyo Papa ni Ageru
4 of 4 people found this review helpful
Aug 4, 2011
Disclaimer: I am not a fan of sad tragic stories but I love Matsujun.

This was more of a peek into someone's life living with this illness. Matsujun was cute in this and so was the little girl. I literally cried because that little girl acted so well and it was so sad to me. I didn't like how many dramatic pauses this special seemed to take and how cut- up read more the drama seemed with the flash backs and such, but overall it was good. You really see a struggle of a family trying to keep it together. There is no glamour, no comedy, just the tragic realities of what some people live through. I may be biased saying I didnt like it becasue it kept getting even more depressing as it trodded on, but it was played well.
If I Were You
10 of 13 people found this review helpful
Sep 1, 2012
i wanted to be in love with this movie, like i loved secret garden. i found it stayed up late to watch it and was excited for gender bending time. after its done i feel like i wasted hours of my life.
the story concept is similar to secret garden but the movie's attempt to balance comedy and drama is painful to watch. there were way too many times where the scene read more changed, the mood changed, or a random act occurred with no prep (music, a comment, foreshadowing, anything). It felt like the story was chopped into bits, so the characters would be discussing a matter, then the scene changes to the next day. this led to constant questions of: what happened to the issue at hand? was it resolved? who gave in?.
on top of the story line confusion, the acting was inconsistent. sometimes the male lead would act like such a man that i had to wonder, oh did they switch back? i blame some of this on the writers they didn't give us enough time to know the characters before they switched.
amid the wreckage there were some bright spots; shots of comedy were pretty well placed throughout. so if the movie was getting awful a shot of comedy would draw you back with false hopes of it getting better. they did a lot of parodies (even secret garden)so those were really funny.
i wouldn't watch again, and if you love the concept I suggest you watch secret garden a 3rd time. Overall it had a great general concept, poor writing and poor execution. i gave it a 6 because they tried to capture that "secret garden magic" but didnt have enough time and the ending is waaaay better than secret garden.

p.s. i loathe group songs where the whole world is singing. beware
Jotei
6 of 7 people found this review helpful
Nov 9, 2011
It would have gotten a 10 but I cant say i believed in the lead characters cause. otherwise I loved Jotei! The story is about a girl who never gives up and reaches her goal. Yes it is based in the dirty underworld of hostess clubs, and deals with a lot of sex, alcohol, money and revenge but it's a must see.

I really liked Kato Rosa in this; although read more she looked innocent she played her role well. I already love Matsuda Shota, and he always plays a really good tsundere character. I liked the story line because she the character Ayaka didn't get everything like Cinderella, but in the end made out fairly well. This story didn't seem realistic, but a really ugly fantasy, where Ayaka has all of these disappointing moments and events to make it to a place that really isn't all that great. The drama played in between what is realistic and what would only happen in dramas. I think because it mixed them both it came off as this awesome semi-realistic story.

What I didn't like was how much they put an emphasis on having sex for something you want. It is true that this is a story about a girl becoming an empress in the night world, so that is part of it I guess. I would have wanted to see her get where she was going without sex- but maybe even that is too far-fetched for the fantasy. I also didn't like that the main character, Ayaka, believed that becoming a Ginza Empress would really allow her to exact revenge. That seemed just plain silly to me. I also detested her revenge plans for her father, and screamed my head off when that part came around.

All in all I thought the drama was well planned, a great story to watch, great actors and it was entertaining. It kept me glued to my computer, like hadn't been in a long time. Yes you may not agree with the premise, but if you give it a chance and have an open mind, I think it will win you over.

p.s. the end was good and gave resolution and satisfaction.

p.p.s I cried in the drama- and I am not a crier!

Misaki Number One!!
6 of 7 people found this review helpful
Jun 18, 2011
I liked Misaki Number 1! I thought it was charming and a cute twist on the bad / inexperienced teacher taking on troubled teens. Although it closely resembles Gokusen, Great Teacher Onizuka and other great dramas with the same plot, it had way better fashion and sincerity to it. I would not want to see a sequel for this drama because the story line wasn't deep enough to carry it a second read more season; and toward the 7th episode the storyline was tired.

There are no real plot surprises, there are no real twists and turns. This drama is not going to blow you away or make you cry;however it's fun it's light and its sparkly. If you've seen the other dramas like this you know what's going to happen and you know what the characters will do, but sometimes it's still fun to see the process.

P.s. Karina was really good in this role, but the other actors were plain awful.
Super Rookie
Nov 11, 2012
Super Rookie is one of those dramas you need a reason to keep watching midway through- either you fell in love with a character, or you have to see the end. Complete with fan service, idols, comedy and a little corporate deviancy; Super Rookie will keep you entertained (for the most part) and has a feel good ending.
I watched super rookie for Eric (why else) and honestly even when the plot read more bored me, when there were too many long pauses accompanied by the ost music, I still fangirled over Eric’s face and beautiful body. Even though the majority of my time was spent fangirl squealing there were other good parts too. Episode 1-9 there is a good amount of fanservice of eric and oh ji ho (another lovely specimen) for us ladies. The story line is an original one that hasn’t been overused, you know Kang Ho’s secret could get out at anytime so the story increased the feeling of constant suspense. Funny supporting characters were well developed as Kang Ho’s friends and truly brought out the funny moments (to be honest, the brother is a show stealer). I loved that Kang Ho was the peoples man, and like naruto (I am watching that right now too) most people who met him, loved him and found they were fast friends.
What I didn’t like was the antagonist roles. There were so many antagonists it was really hard to keep rooting for the main character. The Lee Bong Sam character constantly completed actions that seemed to conflict with his character, I think the writers were trying to show his development but the actor didn’t bring that out very well. The executives who hated Kang Ho were just plain annoying especially with their fake laugh, but you do not know who is the most evil until the very end.
I love Han Ga In, but I didn’t love her role. In super Rookie she pulled an ugly duckling to swan move, which I found unrealistic mainly because of the seemingly 200% expansion of her wardrobe. Speaking of wardrobe I HATED that Kang Ho through the whole drama wore the same suits, oh that ground my gears so bad!! Poor Eric had the absolutely worst wardrobe I have ever seen for a lead male character in any kdrama and it really made me long for the days of Spy Mung Wol. Eric wasn’t the only culprit, most of the “corporate” suiting looked like poorly fitted 30’s gangster suits with none of the swag. Idk why but aside from the clothes everyones hair styling (except Han Ga In) was really bad too.
This is a good watch if you are just finishing a really serious drama or a super funny drama. Although his acting talent was still budding; Eric will keep you engaged as Kang Ho who is naive, yet street smart, good at everything except staying awake on the job, and you really do begin to hope he succeeds. This has got family drama elements, preached against all odds you too can succeed, and has light enough romance that tweens could watch no problem. Yes I got bored in the middle but that’s what fast forward is for, plus the pay off at the end was good.
Himitsu Chouhouin Erika
Jan 5, 2012
I liked Himistu Chouhouin it wasn’t a brain teaser mystery drama, it wasn’t heavily laid with intrigue, but it had some comedy, a little skin showing and a lot of awesome fights. This drama reminded me of Kurosagi, although Himistu Chouhouin is more about doing the right thing than extracting revenge.
I really liked that Erika is practically a chameleon in every situation, shes smart, strong, but still longs for a simple read more life. She is easily likable because of her backstory , which they seemed to place perfectly in the drama. I like how she seems somewhat awkward as a housewife because it makes the character a little more believable.
I didn’t like how all the criminals seemed to give up the info so easily, it was quite funny though. The family part of the story was gray to me. I felt that the kid was just unlikeable and not cute, and that the husband was weak (although they may have meant for it to be that way). The way the husband never asked questions annoyed me a bit, but towards the end you understand a bit more.
There was some bad acting, and of course you could see the end of each episode coming at the opening scene, but it was still fun to watch it play out. I didn’t think I would like this because it sounded cliché and I saw the female lead in something else where the acting was poor- but I really enjoyed this drama. I thought I was going to do a lot of fast forwarding but I didn’t at all. Because each episode is less than 45 min its quick and easy to watch. There is an awesome twist at the end so if you are looking to get away from the emotional pull of all the romcoms watch secret spy Erika and put your brain on low.
- it didnt get a 10 because I couldnt connect to it, but thats also why i liked it (i know its a contradiction)
Fugoh Keiji
Jun 25, 2011
This isn't a serious drama this is a about a really rich police officer, who legitimately wants to make it on her own in the most comical way possible.I really liked this series, it made you laugh, her naivety seemed genuine and you were slightly in suspense because it always seemed like something was going to happen. If i was to compare it, its like Legally blonde as a cop.
Yankee-kun to Megane-chan
May 3, 2011
Ok this drama gets major points because I am still reading the manga. ( If you liked this read the manga its better)

The whole story centers around Hana Adachi and how she is trying her hardest to become a part of her class, and no longer be a outcast like she was when she was a yankee. Because hana has a big heart whenever she sees someone who is a read more loner or an outcast she invites them to join her group which is the student council. Its fun to see Hana being so naieve and sweet and pulling the kindness out of everyone around her especially shinagawa. oh and the girl can fight!
You're My Pet
5 of 6 people found this review helpful
Dec 29, 2011
Let me preface this by saying I am a hardcore kimi wa petto fan with matsujun. (he was sooo cute!) I would also like to mention that although I liked Geun Seok, I really felt hat he was too handsome and not cute enough. However when I watched the movie I became a fan, not enough to topple kimi wa petto, but enough to be a hair’s difference.
First are the comparisions. read more They have the same concept, but in kimi wa petto I still feel that matsumoto jun was way cuter, like puppy dog cute, but JGs was the kind of puppy you could see as a man. The chemistry between Ha Neul and JGS was like brother sister and she didn’t start off as cold as the lady from kimi wa petto- maybe because a drama has more time. Still, the movie brought out some points that the drama didn’t touch on, and although they are very similar, it almost feels like a different story.
I really like how they pretty much let JGS get manish from day one, so when the transition from pet to man came it didn’t seem so awkward. I didn’t like that there were some holes in the plot (I filled them in myself from kimi wa petto), and I also didn’t like how JGS’s goal was so sketchy and undefined. ballet to musicals? really?? his dancing seemed a bit stiff, and a bit much, but singing was heavenly. (but they did show off his singing, so yea! i missed it after YAB.)
All in all I would definitely watch again I liked all the eye candy, and the concept from the drama. If it can convert an Arashi, matsujun fan girl like me, it will be fun for all.
Baby-faced Beauty
4 of 5 people found this review helpful
Feb 4, 2012
Watch at your own risk. A relentlessly tragic but still syrupy sweet story about a older girl still working toward her dreams. Although I skipped a few episodes, and fast forwarded a lot, I still think that this drama made some very valid points in relation to age, viability and attractiveness. Although I wouldn’t really recommend it, it was still a decent watch.
What I did like: The male leads were awesome. read more Yes Choi Daniel is annoying at first, but then you love him, then you hate him again. Ryu Jin was the perfect second male lead. Although you know how its gonna end, he puts up a good fight and backs out at the right time. I really liked the premise this drama started with episodes 1-8, I also loved how skilled the female lead was.
What I didn’t like: (there is a lot more of this) Idk if watching too many of her Cdramas turned me but it was so hard watching Jang NaRa with that blank stare on her face in a romantically charged Kdrama. I think she was trying to look naive but it wasn’t working, and her chemistry with all the male leads seemed more suited for a sister. (I bet kissing scenes were painful) I blame the writers for a lot of the problems with the drama and not Jang NaRa. The story began great: she’s struggling supporting her family, they have no father and a bratty little sister, but then the tragedy begins. After ep 6 I couldn’t stand watching because of how tragic the character’s life was becoming. It was almost as if the writers needed to beat the point into the watcher that Lee SoYoung was someone to pity. Despite her age, Lee SoYoung was so naive it was like the character was introduced to the real world when we started watching. I took it as SoYoung knew nothing about human relationships before the drama began and that made it more bearable for me. Beware of the romance it has all the sugary sweetness of two middle schoolers falling in love. (making me want to hurl a few times) I have no idea how this went on for 20 episodes! the love interests were set up in episode 2 and the enemies were on the move in around episode 3 or 4.
Every character aside for the main leads, was out for themselves (including the cute kid) making you not want to care about anyone. Its really hard to watch a drama where the sister, mother, father, and all the coworkers are evil. I can only root for characters when I can see hope for them, and I didn’t see hope for SoYoung. Lucky for us the writers took the focus off of her having a baby face despite her age and turned this into a family drama about halfway through. So watch at your own risk, or if you like to see the same situation over and over and over and over again.

313