blackstar_aria

Code Blue
12 of 12 people found this review helpful
Jul 23, 2011
Love Yamapi- he is so cool and believable in this roll! Erica and Manami both do well here as well . This drama is about a group of young doctors getting over their handicaps to work their dream job and fly to traumatic scenes on a helicopter. Think ER with helicopters and hot actors. The characters really worked together and the drama really left you wanting another episode; hence the specials and read more the season 2 offering. This drama isn't for the faint of heart - they use real technical terms show what seems to be real blood/ guts and load you up with the suspense. There is no romance- like 0- but you don't miss it. The drama teaches important stories through its characters, and each one you can relate to (except the girl playing megumi, she wasn't believable). The majority of the cast is made up of veterans that you've seen in dramas and movies before, so that's something else to look forward to.

Enjoy it!

p.s. the sequel is just as good.

p.s.s. love the tsundere yamapi
Yukan Club
13 of 14 people found this review helpful
Jul 25, 2011
Ok I like Kat-Tun so I thought why not watch Jin in a drama? I am glad I did because I certainly wasn't disappointed. Yukan Club is about a bunch of rich kids who like to solve crimes instead of going to class. Each one of them has a special talent or specialty that helps in solving the mysteries or problems of others. This is a feel good comedy with light romance read more and light mystery. The characters learn something new each episode but its nothing that is life -changing. Yukan Club isn't a drama that will make you watch it as a marathon, but is a good drama to watch after a drama with really heavy adult themes. Generally you can tell that everything is going to go well for the characters so it doesn't have much suspense, you can almost always tell how its going to end. As a light comedy its fun to watch and it doesn't take itself too seriously either.
Buzzer Beat
23 of 27 people found this review helpful
May 3, 2011
I stayed up all night to finish this drama when I watched it. This a very sweet story about 2 people who meet each other and fight to not fall in love. Yamapi in all his super cuteness, plays a naive basketball player who is on the rise. Keiko plays a sweet innocent violin player who is making no money and about to give up. By chance they meet, and keep running read more into each other, and eventually become each others support when troubles come. I know i cant give any spoilers but...... watch out for the girlfriend she is an unbelievable mess.

if you like romance stories this is an awesome one that doesn't bog you down with too much basketball terminology.
Muscle Girl
11 of 12 people found this review helpful
Aug 7, 2011
1 word over-acted. Of course Lee Hong Ki is as adorable as a puppy, and his Japanese was surprisingly good, but the whole thing is way overacted. It is a comedy, with some action (the wrestling). It is built on an interesting premise and seems like it would be really good from the first 2 episodes, but the story line seems to go in circles making the 30 minutes that you watch read more it feel like an hour. The flash backs are numerous and repetitive and that makes you feel like you have already watched this episode. The end was lack luster and felt rushed as if the drama got cut short and they had to hurry and finish it. Some things were never explained and why the antagonist of the story had a sudden change of heart I guess we will never know.

What I did like was Hong Ki's smile, the girls overacting, and them pretending pro-wrestling was a sport. I have never been a fan of wrestling, but when they did the moves it seemed funny and made me want to clothes- line someone.

All in all, unless you are a fan of Lee Hong Ki, pointless dramas about girls trying to be tough, or if you are a pervert and like to see girls in mid-drifts and skirts hitting each other this drama is for you. Otherwise the first 3 episodes are enough to understand the plot and I really wouldn't bother with the ending.

oh and I didnt understand the lack of common sense and magical happenings in the last ep. just a note.
Juui Dolittle
7 of 7 people found this review helpful
May 6, 2011
I really liked this drama,because of the acting. Shun and Hiroki are a set of awesome actors! I really expected it to be like a Dr. Dolittle where he is litterally talking to the animals, but it wasnt like that at all. This is a really sweet story about a man who really cold on the outside but soft on the inside, how that man really cares for animals but not so read more much for people. Shun did such a great job!!

This is a rather serious drama, with animal surgery and a lot of animal topics that I didnt even know exsisted. Not much comedy, and a slight ( and I mean slight) bit of unrequited romance/ longing. Some of the major themes were: the little man fighting the big company, taking responsibility for your own life, compassion, and fighting your fears. I didnt like the ending because I wanted some people to get together (but oh well).
The Empress
May 30, 2012
I really liked Jotei, so I decided to watch Yeoje to see if it had a better ending or if it fixed some of the things i hated from Jotei. I will admit that I am a bit unfair in my critique because it took forever to finish this, and I ended up having to watch the last 2 episodes on my very limited knowledge of the Korean language.
I did like read more the updates to the story, some of the characters are older than they were, and some are younger. Yeoje was also way less pervy than Jotei, but the girls in Yeoje created senseless arguments. It was like the writter said, "these two are supposed to be in a conflict here". FOr the age of the girls the conflicts did not make sense like it did in Jotei where they were younger and immature. The use of technology is something that could not have been used in Jotei becasue it was so old, so it was cool to see gadgets used, in some cases i yelled "ha ha gotcha!"
I did not like the acting. It was awful, the actors were in some cases stiff, over emoting, stone faced, and in some cases looked like they came from acting 101. the main offender is the really hot male lead (who gets points for shirtless fan service), he had exactly 2 expressions and a really cute smile. I loved Matsuda in his role and I wanted Kang ji sub to bring it, but he dropped it somewhere before getting to set. The female lead wasnt really compelling either, although she had more expressions, i really hated her "i am strong" facade when she wasnt strong. Oh and her alligator tear scenes are hilarious.
Although the cast is really great looking, Yeoje didnt do something that Jotei was able to; Jotei made you feel for the characters, and even in the absurd situations they were in you rooted for them. Yeoje toyed with the main concept and in the end you didnt care whether everyone went up in flames or not.
Its not worth the work to find the drama (it was on cable tv), learn Korean to translate it, and then watch a over dramatizied version of Jotei. watch the first 3-4 episodes and then skip to the last one. If you watched the original you didnt miss anything.
p.s. the ending is the same.
Azumi
Jan 7, 2012
There were no reviews so I thought I would write one. Azumi is a really cool telling of the life of a female shinobi and how she has to constantly prove herself. The character is a very cool and strong girl, who is just finding out what romantic feelings are, dealing with losing her ninja family, betrayal, and revenge. The movie is has some really awesome ninja fighting scenes, great scenery and read more a bit of gore. Otherwise Ueto Aya is an awesome actress the embodiment of her character - really making you believe this character. Not as long as a drama, but a good watch and there is a sequel!
Rebound
Nov 11, 2011
Happy ending!!! I really liked the themes and messages in Rebound, and I think it's a truly worthwhile watch. The main idea is captivating; what happens when you are fat, loose weight, then gain it back? In this drama all hilarity ensues.

I really loved the cast everyone was well cast. Love Mokomichi and he looked so in his element! After Buzzer Beat I thought I would hate a Saki, read more but now I love her again. The leads had chemistry and when it was time to get down to some real emotional things they really delivered. I also liked their use of fat suits, they were the most realistic ones I have seen yet. Surprisingly this drama has a lot of little twists and turns all throughout it to keep it interesting, and a lot of comedic parts.

I did not like that the Nobuko character was a "Jolly" fat person , and how long it took her to realize things about her self and others (there was only so much yelling at her I could do). I also had a problem with the drama assuming all fat people could eat mounds of food, and were unlovable or just unattractive. The timelines on which they were getting skinny were so unlikely, however, they did briefly examine the dangers of diet pills. It took me a long time to finish this drama because Nobuko seems so foolish, and silly until she gets angry and that can be annoying. This drama does have a false ending, where they probably should have just stopped and said we are finished but they kept it going. This led to a feeling of 2 different stories being told, maybe there were 2 different writing teams. The first half works more on problems with weight and the second more so problems with life.

Overall, I thought this was an awesome watch and if you are stuck around episode 3-5 don't worry there is some great icing on this cake.

p.s. this is a comedy the characters are ridiculous and over the top.
Unfair
Nov 6, 2011
Unfair is a mystery suspense, cat and mouse kind of drama. There is essentially no romance , no comedy, it is a really serious drama. I liked it, although it had a really slow start. Because the drama is so old, the first episode didn't capture me immediately like others do but as soon as I got into it around ep 5, I couldn't stop watching. The ending is really good I read more promise you wont see the true culprit coming!!

The positives are the character development for the main character. She is a tough cookie, however by the end her soft mushy side really comes out and its really good to see her being a human.. I also liked how the action is nonstop and a lot of the characters are played really well. The little girl is soo cute!!!

I didn't like how tiring the whole thing was. The action is really non stop but there is no to sleep or even eat a full meal. This drama was a little unusual that it was one whole mystery, not lots of little stories or mysteries leading up to a larger one. Because it is one large mystery, it is really engulfing, but it also makes you just want to get to the point.
Switch Girl!!
7 of 8 people found this review helpful
May 28, 2012
I really liked the live version of switch girl. As a fan of the manga, i was excited that it really followed the manga story line and left the characters the same. First off let me say the Switch girl concept lives in every girl so it is not a novel idea, it is the way the mangaka presented it that made it soooo funny. I have never seen nishiuchi mariya in read more a drama before nor was i aware that she was really a model, but she was cast perfectly in this role. I totally believed that she was my beloved Nika, her expressions were awesome, her off mode was just as convincing as her on mode. However, on the other hand Kiriyama Ren wasn't that great to me. Hes cute but he really just made me want to watch mizushima hiro play the role (although hes too old to really do it). the supporting characters were awesome caricatures (they were supposed to be) constantly bringing the funny.
It made me sad that the episodes were short and it seemed like they crammed a lot of concepts into under 30 minutes, so the drama did feel rushed. On the upside there is never a dull moment in the drama, the characters are constantly moving. To all the manga fans, the drama is toned down and cool for the 14 and under crowd. Yet, to be honest I dont think i would have found this drama as awesome as i did without being a fan of the manga first (which is not yet completed). I did enjoy seeing real live people act out one of favorite mangas; enough to grit my teeth, rely on my own Japanese skills and finish the series no subs.
Happy watching.
Myu no Anyo Papa ni Ageru
4 of 4 people found this review helpful
Aug 4, 2011
Disclaimer: I am not a fan of sad tragic stories but I love Matsujun.

This was more of a peek into someone's life living with this illness. Matsujun was cute in this and so was the little girl. I literally cried because that little girl acted so well and it was so sad to me. I didn't like how many dramatic pauses this special seemed to take and how cut- up read more the drama seemed with the flash backs and such, but overall it was good. You really see a struggle of a family trying to keep it together. There is no glamour, no comedy, just the tragic realities of what some people live through. I may be biased saying I didnt like it becasue it kept getting even more depressing as it trodded on, but it was played well.
Majisuka Gakuen
4 of 4 people found this review helpful
May 3, 2011
Who doesnt love a group of bad a** girls taking over? Majisuka is all about a famed yankee (Maeda) resisting the urge to fight because of her feelings for one of her friends who died in a fight. When Maeda goes to her new school (chuck full of yankees) she is forced to proved that she is "serious" and time again. I loved all the girls from AKB 48 and how they read more interacted with each other. The acting was poor and the story line was weak and predictable but it was fun. A group of girls known for being pretty, beating eath other sensless for ridiculous reasons is priceless. I didnt take this drama serious, because if you do you wont have fun with it.
If I Were You
10 of 13 people found this review helpful
Sep 1, 2012
i wanted to be in love with this movie, like i loved secret garden. i found it stayed up late to watch it and was excited for gender bending time. after its done i feel like i wasted hours of my life.
the story concept is similar to secret garden but the movie's attempt to balance comedy and drama is painful to watch. there were way too many times where the scene read more changed, the mood changed, or a random act occurred with no prep (music, a comment, foreshadowing, anything). It felt like the story was chopped into bits, so the characters would be discussing a matter, then the scene changes to the next day. this led to constant questions of: what happened to the issue at hand? was it resolved? who gave in?.
on top of the story line confusion, the acting was inconsistent. sometimes the male lead would act like such a man that i had to wonder, oh did they switch back? i blame some of this on the writers they didn't give us enough time to know the characters before they switched.
amid the wreckage there were some bright spots; shots of comedy were pretty well placed throughout. so if the movie was getting awful a shot of comedy would draw you back with false hopes of it getting better. they did a lot of parodies (even secret garden)so those were really funny.
i wouldn't watch again, and if you love the concept I suggest you watch secret garden a 3rd time. Overall it had a great general concept, poor writing and poor execution. i gave it a 6 because they tried to capture that "secret garden magic" but didnt have enough time and the ending is waaaay better than secret garden.

p.s. i loathe group songs where the whole world is singing. beware
Jotei
6 of 7 people found this review helpful
Nov 9, 2011
It would have gotten a 10 but I cant say i believed in the lead characters cause. otherwise I loved Jotei! The story is about a girl who never gives up and reaches her goal. Yes it is based in the dirty underworld of hostess clubs, and deals with a lot of sex, alcohol, money and revenge but it's a must see.

I really liked Kato Rosa in this; although read more she looked innocent she played her role well. I already love Matsuda Shota, and he always plays a really good tsundere character. I liked the story line because she the character Ayaka didn't get everything like Cinderella, but in the end made out fairly well. This story didn't seem realistic, but a really ugly fantasy, where Ayaka has all of these disappointing moments and events to make it to a place that really isn't all that great. The drama played in between what is realistic and what would only happen in dramas. I think because it mixed them both it came off as this awesome semi-realistic story.

What I didn't like was how much they put an emphasis on having sex for something you want. It is true that this is a story about a girl becoming an empress in the night world, so that is part of it I guess. I would have wanted to see her get where she was going without sex- but maybe even that is too far-fetched for the fantasy. I also didn't like that the main character, Ayaka, believed that becoming a Ginza Empress would really allow her to exact revenge. That seemed just plain silly to me. I also detested her revenge plans for her father, and screamed my head off when that part came around.

All in all I thought the drama was well planned, a great story to watch, great actors and it was entertaining. It kept me glued to my computer, like hadn't been in a long time. Yes you may not agree with the premise, but if you give it a chance and have an open mind, I think it will win you over.

p.s. the end was good and gave resolution and satisfaction.

p.p.s I cried in the drama- and I am not a crier!

Misaki Number One!!
6 of 7 people found this review helpful
Jun 18, 2011
I liked Misaki Number 1! I thought it was charming and a cute twist on the bad / inexperienced teacher taking on troubled teens. Although it closely resembles Gokusen, Great Teacher Onizuka and other great dramas with the same plot, it had way better fashion and sincerity to it. I would not want to see a sequel for this drama because the story line wasn't deep enough to carry it a second read more season; and toward the 7th episode the storyline was tired.

There are no real plot surprises, there are no real twists and turns. This drama is not going to blow you away or make you cry;however it's fun it's light and its sparkly. If you've seen the other dramas like this you know what's going to happen and you know what the characters will do, but sometimes it's still fun to see the process.

P.s. Karina was really good in this role, but the other actors were plain awful.

313