blackstar_aria

Can't Lose
13 of 13 people found this review helpful
Dec 4, 2011
Cant stand losing was pretty good, definitely worth a watch especially if you are a fan of Yoon Sang Hyun. As in the synopsis this story depicts a married couple's love life, its ups and downs, and definitely playing up how men and women are so different. There is a lot of repetition in issues that they have, some watchers didn't like that but I did because it lent itself to authenticity. read more There are a lot of comical parts, a lot of arguments with everyone, some tragic parts as well, but not a whole lot of romance.

The actual story concept was a good one, 'how married lawyers would fare working with each other day in and day out'. I felt like the writers must have changed somewhere in the middle of the drama because initially the focus was on the couple and their work, and soon it changed to the couple and their inner circle. There were a few holes and discrepancies in the story, some people just suddenly had a additional kid, other characters who had a fairly decent sized role disappeared. (I am trying to avoid spoilers) . The main idea was always there but feel and pace of the drama started to change.

There are a lot of twists, in some cases you know whats going to happen but you still want to see them do it. Yoon Sang Hyun was awesome in this role. He is totally believable! Choi Ji Woo did well but I didn't like her as much as I liked some of the other actors, she really started to get annoying. There weren't any evil mothers, or vengeful sisters but a lot of the couples tearing each other apart. (like in real life).

I liked the ending but it kept me wondering as to what happened. It doesn't happen a lot where a whole episode is dedicated to closing it up so I have no idea how they seemed to leave strings still hanging. There are lots of side stories and tragedies to keep you interested, if you can stay with it for the first 4 episodes you will want to see how it turns out. The story slowed up in the middle, but trudge on with it- its really interesting to get a bird's eye view of relationships.

p.s. its more like a tragic/life drama not so much romcom
Code Blue
12 of 12 people found this review helpful
Jul 23, 2011
Love Yamapi- he is so cool and believable in this roll! Erica and Manami both do well here as well . This drama is about a group of young doctors getting over their handicaps to work their dream job and fly to traumatic scenes on a helicopter. Think ER with helicopters and hot actors. The characters really worked together and the drama really left you wanting another episode; hence the specials and read more the season 2 offering. This drama isn't for the faint of heart - they use real technical terms show what seems to be real blood/ guts and load you up with the suspense. There is no romance- like 0- but you don't miss it. The drama teaches important stories through its characters, and each one you can relate to (except the girl playing megumi, she wasn't believable). The majority of the cast is made up of veterans that you've seen in dramas and movies before, so that's something else to look forward to.

Enjoy it!

p.s. the sequel is just as good.

p.s.s. love the tsundere yamapi
Don Quixote
17 of 18 people found this review helpful
Nov 27, 2011
Don Quixote was really enjoyable. Story line was great, it was laugh a minute and Matsuda was a dream to watch.

I wasn't familiar with the traditional story of Don Quixote, but that wasn't necessary because this drama really didn't stick to the traditional story. What the drama took from the Spanish story was a theme of "unconventional chivalry" and really played it up.

Assuming that you read read more the synopsis, this story is a Secret Garden type of switch but without the romance. (if you didn't see the Kdrama Secret Garden -you need to- but think Freaky Friday). Yes there is essentially no romance in this drama but you really don't miss it. The main characters are like fish out of water and it makes it hilarious to watch.

The two main characters are played excellently by the already awesome Matsuda and Katsumi Takahasi. I loved seeing Matsuda smile and be really dorky then witch to being all Yakuza, if you are a fan of his then there is no reason not to watch. Katsumi was really good to playing a totally dweeb young man , he made it believable.

All in all, this a undeniably great drama. It sucks you in, has great topics and situations and by the end you feel as if you too have gained 2 friends. Even if you see the end coming in this drama, the characters are so likeable that you want them to do their best. All the episodes are good and there is no need to fast forward, and i normally need to fast forward. If you feel like getting away from all of the plotting and scheming that some of the other dramas have, this is a good refreshing one. Watch it. Like now.
Yukan Club
13 of 14 people found this review helpful
Jul 25, 2011
Ok I like Kat-Tun so I thought why not watch Jin in a drama? I am glad I did because I certainly wasn't disappointed. Yukan Club is about a bunch of rich kids who like to solve crimes instead of going to class. Each one of them has a special talent or specialty that helps in solving the mysteries or problems of others. This is a feel good comedy with light romance read more and light mystery. The characters learn something new each episode but its nothing that is life -changing. Yukan Club isn't a drama that will make you watch it as a marathon, but is a good drama to watch after a drama with really heavy adult themes. Generally you can tell that everything is going to go well for the characters so it doesn't have much suspense, you can almost always tell how its going to end. As a light comedy its fun to watch and it doesn't take itself too seriously either.
Buzzer Beat
23 of 27 people found this review helpful
May 3, 2011
I stayed up all night to finish this drama when I watched it. This a very sweet story about 2 people who meet each other and fight to not fall in love. Yamapi in all his super cuteness, plays a naive basketball player who is on the rise. Keiko plays a sweet innocent violin player who is making no money and about to give up. By chance they meet, and keep running read more into each other, and eventually become each others support when troubles come. I know i cant give any spoilers but...... watch out for the girlfriend she is an unbelievable mess.

if you like romance stories this is an awesome one that doesn't bog you down with too much basketball terminology.
Muscle Girl
11 of 12 people found this review helpful
Aug 7, 2011
1 word over-acted. Of course Lee Hong Ki is as adorable as a puppy, and his Japanese was surprisingly good, but the whole thing is way overacted. It is a comedy, with some action (the wrestling). It is built on an interesting premise and seems like it would be really good from the first 2 episodes, but the story line seems to go in circles making the 30 minutes that you watch read more it feel like an hour. The flash backs are numerous and repetitive and that makes you feel like you have already watched this episode. The end was lack luster and felt rushed as if the drama got cut short and they had to hurry and finish it. Some things were never explained and why the antagonist of the story had a sudden change of heart I guess we will never know.

What I did like was Hong Ki's smile, the girls overacting, and them pretending pro-wrestling was a sport. I have never been a fan of wrestling, but when they did the moves it seemed funny and made me want to clothes- line someone.

All in all, unless you are a fan of Lee Hong Ki, pointless dramas about girls trying to be tough, or if you are a pervert and like to see girls in mid-drifts and skirts hitting each other this drama is for you. Otherwise the first 3 episodes are enough to understand the plot and I really wouldn't bother with the ending.

oh and I didnt understand the lack of common sense and magical happenings in the last ep. just a note.
Juui Dolittle
7 of 7 people found this review helpful
May 6, 2011
I really liked this drama,because of the acting. Shun and Hiroki are a set of awesome actors! I really expected it to be like a Dr. Dolittle where he is litterally talking to the animals, but it wasnt like that at all. This is a really sweet story about a man who really cold on the outside but soft on the inside, how that man really cares for animals but not so read more much for people. Shun did such a great job!!

This is a rather serious drama, with animal surgery and a lot of animal topics that I didnt even know exsisted. Not much comedy, and a slight ( and I mean slight) bit of unrequited romance/ longing. Some of the major themes were: the little man fighting the big company, taking responsibility for your own life, compassion, and fighting your fears. I didnt like the ending because I wanted some people to get together (but oh well).
Witch Yoo Hee
9 of 10 people found this review helpful
Sep 18, 2011
2 words: Epic disappointment.

And it started so good too! Lets get to the pros and cons-

It was an awesome idea to start with a cold blooded woman being melted by a cheery, wanna-be chef. I loved the way that the drama started the story line was moving and developing, different situations occurring, it was exciting! But the story got boring, very predictable, slow and the idea went to read more crap. Although the concept was Yoo Hee's transformation into a kinder more presentable lady, it happened within the first 6 episodes. This drama focused more on Yoo Hee's love triangles and her naivety in love than her being a tsundere character.I am so frustrated because I didn't like the ending, and I feel like it was a waste of time.

The music is really catchy throughout the drama and for the most part its really well placed. I didn't like Ga In, maybe her acting skills were developing because I loved her in Bad Man. I did like Jae Hee, but his characters seem to be the same in EVERY drama. (although I absolutely hated what happened with his girlfriend in this drama) Dennis Oh and Kim Jeong Hoong were awful, as far as acting goes. The cast didn't seem to have much chemistry, none of the characters really seemed in love with the exception of Jun Hye Bin. Hye Bin was believable!

All in all, you really have to fight through to the end because its boring. However you want to see the characters develop because it begins really charming, funny and cute. My advice start and watch till the 11th episode at that point you can skip to the end. Trust me you wont miss much.
HAMMER SESSION!
11 of 13 people found this review helpful
Jun 18, 2011
Yes it's the same concept as Gokusen, but its way better. Its edgier, its funnier and its got Mokomichi! I really liked this drama because of the exciting plot and situations that unfolded. I also liked how it had a touch of a psychological aspect to it as Otowa (Mokomichi's character) really scammed everyone by getting in their heads. Although the main concept is that this teacher comes in and changes the read more students and the school by teaching in unconventional ways, this story has so much more. The teacher isn't a teacher but an ex conman on the run, and we don't really know his name. I liked how this drama really let its characters mature and even though the viewer is privy to the inner workings of the con-mans set up you still don't know how things are going to turn out. This isn't a tear jerker but makes you think, laugh and gasp.
The Empress
May 30, 2012
I really liked Jotei, so I decided to watch Yeoje to see if it had a better ending or if it fixed some of the things i hated from Jotei. I will admit that I am a bit unfair in my critique because it took forever to finish this, and I ended up having to watch the last 2 episodes on my very limited knowledge of the Korean language.
I did like read more the updates to the story, some of the characters are older than they were, and some are younger. Yeoje was also way less pervy than Jotei, but the girls in Yeoje created senseless arguments. It was like the writter said, "these two are supposed to be in a conflict here". FOr the age of the girls the conflicts did not make sense like it did in Jotei where they were younger and immature. The use of technology is something that could not have been used in Jotei becasue it was so old, so it was cool to see gadgets used, in some cases i yelled "ha ha gotcha!"
I did not like the acting. It was awful, the actors were in some cases stiff, over emoting, stone faced, and in some cases looked like they came from acting 101. the main offender is the really hot male lead (who gets points for shirtless fan service), he had exactly 2 expressions and a really cute smile. I loved Matsuda in his role and I wanted Kang ji sub to bring it, but he dropped it somewhere before getting to set. The female lead wasnt really compelling either, although she had more expressions, i really hated her "i am strong" facade when she wasnt strong. Oh and her alligator tear scenes are hilarious.
Although the cast is really great looking, Yeoje didnt do something that Jotei was able to; Jotei made you feel for the characters, and even in the absurd situations they were in you rooted for them. Yeoje toyed with the main concept and in the end you didnt care whether everyone went up in flames or not.
Its not worth the work to find the drama (it was on cable tv), learn Korean to translate it, and then watch a over dramatizied version of Jotei. watch the first 3-4 episodes and then skip to the last one. If you watched the original you didnt miss anything.
p.s. the ending is the same.
Drop
Feb 7, 2012
Drop was hilarious. Lots of blood and fighting, like Majisuka Gakuen but with ikemen and without that whole pretentious story line of why they fight. Chuck full of shonen comic references, if this was not a shonen comic, it really felt like the target audience is young boys. This movie is literally bare bones boys fighting and protecting their pride.
What I liked was the honesty in the characters. As a true read more dramanista, I am always looking for the scheming friend, the evil mother, the rat in the group but there was none of that. The characters literally said out loud exactly what they felt, and it was refreshing. Narimiya Hiroki is an awesome actor! This type of character for him is not new (Yankee-kun to Megane-chan) but he is so believable even if you do see his wrinkles. He really brought the main character to life. Although the other supporting characters were to be stereotypical, they played their parts very well and I forgot i was watching actors at times. I must admit that started this because I love Mizushima Hiro. As much as I loved to watch him in this movie, his character fell flat. It could be the fault of the writers, but his character seemed under developed or maybe the character was supposed to be vicious/crazy but Hiro couldn’t commit to it. IDK. I may blame the writers because they introduced a lot of characters that have no development, no story line and then randomly appeared/ disappeared.
The main question on my mind while watching, “Why are they using fully grown men to play middle schoolers?” I know some of those dudes are in their 30’s! I mean these dudes had full facial hair but playing 15-17 year olds??!! I also couldn’t understand how some characters were not getting physically stronger with all the fights, like how are you remaining so weak but you can still run your mouth? Not to mention how cool the parents were with all of this, your son wants to become a delinquent and you say “ok!”?. To top it all off, there is a sudden sorrowful scene out of nowhere that causes major changes. (I had the stupid face on because I didn’t really see it coming).
There were certainly loose ends, unraveled strings, and frayed stitches, but it wasn’t boring. For a story that seems meant to tell young boys “life is short don’t waste it” I think it does a pretty decent job. However it gets a fat F for encouraging ruthless violence for younger ages. I, however am not in that demographic and anything that gives me a little eye candy while entertaining me, I say “bring it on!”. I do recommend the movie for a break from the complex story lines, the plotting and the scheming found in many of the dramas we see. Overall: Lots of cool real fights, loads of excitement.
Azumi
Jan 7, 2012
There were no reviews so I thought I would write one. Azumi is a really cool telling of the life of a female shinobi and how she has to constantly prove herself. The character is a very cool and strong girl, who is just finding out what romantic feelings are, dealing with losing her ninja family, betrayal, and revenge. The movie is has some really awesome ninja fighting scenes, great scenery and read more a bit of gore. Otherwise Ueto Aya is an awesome actress the embodiment of her character - really making you believe this character. Not as long as a drama, but a good watch and there is a sequel!
Rebound
Nov 11, 2011
Happy ending!!! I really liked the themes and messages in Rebound, and I think it's a truly worthwhile watch. The main idea is captivating; what happens when you are fat, loose weight, then gain it back? In this drama all hilarity ensues.

I really loved the cast everyone was well cast. Love Mokomichi and he looked so in his element! After Buzzer Beat I thought I would hate a Saki, read more but now I love her again. The leads had chemistry and when it was time to get down to some real emotional things they really delivered. I also liked their use of fat suits, they were the most realistic ones I have seen yet. Surprisingly this drama has a lot of little twists and turns all throughout it to keep it interesting, and a lot of comedic parts.

I did not like that the Nobuko character was a "Jolly" fat person , and how long it took her to realize things about her self and others (there was only so much yelling at her I could do). I also had a problem with the drama assuming all fat people could eat mounds of food, and were unlovable or just unattractive. The timelines on which they were getting skinny were so unlikely, however, they did briefly examine the dangers of diet pills. It took me a long time to finish this drama because Nobuko seems so foolish, and silly until she gets angry and that can be annoying. This drama does have a false ending, where they probably should have just stopped and said we are finished but they kept it going. This led to a feeling of 2 different stories being told, maybe there were 2 different writing teams. The first half works more on problems with weight and the second more so problems with life.

Overall, I thought this was an awesome watch and if you are stuck around episode 3-5 don't worry there is some great icing on this cake.

p.s. this is a comedy the characters are ridiculous and over the top.
Unfair
Nov 6, 2011
Unfair is a mystery suspense, cat and mouse kind of drama. There is essentially no romance , no comedy, it is a really serious drama. I liked it, although it had a really slow start. Because the drama is so old, the first episode didn't capture me immediately like others do but as soon as I got into it around ep 5, I couldn't stop watching. The ending is really good I read more promise you wont see the true culprit coming!!

The positives are the character development for the main character. She is a tough cookie, however by the end her soft mushy side really comes out and its really good to see her being a human.. I also liked how the action is nonstop and a lot of the characters are played really well. The little girl is soo cute!!!

I didn't like how tiring the whole thing was. The action is really non stop but there is no to sleep or even eat a full meal. This drama was a little unusual that it was one whole mystery, not lots of little stories or mysteries leading up to a larger one. Because it is one large mystery, it is really engulfing, but it also makes you just want to get to the point.
My Bratty Princess Spinoff
Jul 29, 2011
It was ok. In all honesty this drama has nothing to do with the original My Bratty Princess- with the exception that it follows a girl who was dressed as a boy because of some family secret. I really liked that this was a period drama and it had a lot of comedy in it. Theres a ton of cute guys going accross the screen and the fight scenes are cool so read more its not boring.

If you have already watched the first one, this one is a bit of a let down. The female lead is way weaker and more annoying, not to mention there was a really good reason to hide her identity in the first Bratty Princess, in this one the premise wasnt as good. In the first the development of side characters was stronger as well.

Beware, there are a lot of technical slip ups that you will catch throughout the series like the editing department must have fallen asleep. The voice overs are so unrealistic and annoying and at some point you will want to cuss the emperor for having no balls and the female lead for being annoying.

The end of the series seemed rushed and was slightly disappointing, but otherwise it is a watch-worthy drama if you like period dramas with comedy and not really intense drama.

Jul 29, 2014