pandeaa

Eternal Love Review

pandeaa
Mar 20, 2017

I normally refrain from watching shows that are super popular when they’re airing. Why? Cause I’ll get swept up with all the reviews and comments on how great/perfect the show is…only to realize that it’s full of loop-holes and everything is mediocre at best. Maybe the love from everyone else makes me a harsher critic of the show, but because of this habit(?) of mine I tend to watch popular shows half a year (or longer) after its done airing. When all the hype has shimmered down and I can watch peacefully (aka less like a grumpy grandma). However, I broke my rule with this drama. Eternal Love/Three Lives Three Worlds was a beautifully made drama that can certainly live up to its popularity, but only if you’re into a slow-paced romance.

Overall:
There are definitely some areas that were frustrating to me, areas that could’ve been further developed (or undeveloped LOL), and things that I wished were different. The romance between the main couple was detailed and you can feel how in love they were (mainly Ye Hua). However, because of how detailed the main characters were we only got a taste of all the supporting roles and their stories. This is probably the only ‘downfall’ of the show for me. Only because I wished there were more to other supporting roles. I actually wish this drama is longer just so I can see what happens to everyone. I would not recommend this drama if you’re looking for something fast paced. This drama is something that slowly builds over the span of 58 episodes.

Like most Chinese dramas this is based off a novel. The novel is by Tangqi Gongzi and for the most part I heard that the drama is incredibly like the novel besides the relationship between Bai Feng Jiu and Donghua Dijun. Which can be found in a spin-off novel titled Pillow Book. There are a lot of copyright/plagiarism allegations on the Three Lives Three Worlds novel. I'm not going to go in depth about them, but I'm pretty sure you can easily find articles on it. To whoever credit is deserved, the plot is beautifully written and I loved most of it. There are a couple of reasons as to why I got frustrated, but they mainly dealt with character development rather than the plot itself. For example, Li Jing went from being a rebellious prince with so much personality to a mopey king focused only on past mistakes. Besides this, I actually found myself wanting more and more. Mainly Yan Zhi and Zi Lan though…I loved them so much. Someone please write a fanfic for them. I'd read it.

Acting/Cast:
I actually started this drama because of an interview I saw of Mark Chao. I know everyone was hesitant on staring this because Mark wasn’t your conventional pretty boy and was comparing him to Yang Yang (actor who’ll play Marks role in the movie), but there was something so genuine about him in his interview that I started the drama right away. Mark brilliantly portrayed the role of Ye Hua! For the most part his character was stoic, but when he showed emotions…I felt shivers. From the way he looked at Bai Qian, the way he softly smiled, the way his eyebrows furrows, or his breakdown from sadness/grief…he basically threw my emotions and heart in a frenzy. I can go on for days as to why I love Mark Chaos acting, but I’ll stop. Needless to say, I'm super excited to see his future works.
I have never seen a drama with Yang Mi before (I’ve only heard of her cause she married a HK born actor), but I loved her portray of Si Yin, Su Su, and Bai Qian. She went from being an aloof and mischievous disciple to being kind hearted and easily manipulated human and finally to being a well-respected, classy, and badass queen. There was something about her that never changed when she portrayed these different characters and that made it more convincing that they were all the same person, but different lives. Kudos to her! Though I do believe she does better with her mischievous scenes over her emotional ones.
The rest of the cast was great! I don’t want to delve into each character since there are a ton of supporting roles, but I loved them all. I think everyone did incredibly well on their portrayals whether they were to be liked or hated.

The soundtrack has been on repeat for days.

Rewatch Value:
At the moment no, but maybe in the future.

Comments (5)

• Login or Register to post comments
    Jeana Mar 20, 2017 - edited

Tbh, only thing Yang Yang really has going for himself is his pretty looks. He literally can't be bothered to act so I think he's going to take in his famous expressionless block of stone face to playing Ye Hua too. I hope he surprises but I don't have much expectations.

moondust Mar 22, 2017 - edited

Great review and I agree with y'all about Yang Yang. I feel the same that Mark has truly taken the character of Ye Hua and made it his own. Last thing anyone would've imagined considering all the flack prior to airing (due to his looks being a concern compared to Yang Yang). I'm only watching the movie now for the pretty and to compare the versions.

Zhe Lan and Yan Zi has to be one of my favorite things about this show.

pandeaa Mar 24, 2017 - edited

Omg! Thanks for the compliment! This means a lot to me since I've always enjoyed reading your reviews/comments and have started a couple dramas because of them.

I don’t understand why everyone said Mark is unattractive. I found his silly personality and genuineness to be incredibly attractive. Whereas I don’t think much of Yang Yang. He literally reminds me of something I would go admire at a museum and leave. Something that is beautiful and exquisite, but don’t care to see more than once. I also love how Mark proved to the whole Chinese community (and drama world) that you don’t need a pretty face to be loved, you just need talent.

Same! I absolutely adored Zi Lan and Yan Zhi. There’s something about these two characters that I’ve always had a soft spot for. Unpopular opinion: I found their relationship to be more impactful than Donghua and Feng Jius. I just got sick of Feng Jiu weeping at Donghuas feet.

moondust Mar 24, 2017

Thanks for the shout! twas real nice of you :') Don't get me started on DH-FJ. They WERE cute but FJ got so annoying I found it hard to sympathize with her. I even see ppl saying she's treading on Su Jin territory minus the evil part and I can't say I disagree.
      Welcome to the club lol I totally love Mark's easygoing personality offscreen. Saw few of his movies since and realized it's his acting/how he presents his characters that make him so darn attractive. Yang Yang is pretty to look at but boringggg af.

United States of America