Michael

Cutter
Mar 15, 2017
Really excellent, both as a mystery thriller of high school boys becoming involved in the lurid criminal underworld and in the unfolding of the characters of the protagonists. It's also a classic tale of how an innocent acting for good motives (helping his mother) gets caught up in crime. I also feel the BL theme is absolutely central to this movie. All the events that happened would simply not have developed the read more way they did but for the initial attraction between Se Joon and Yoon Jae. It's brought out when the pair meet at the end when the truth seems clear even if still unspoken. There's also the irony that the "strong" character Se Joon is revealed as vulnerable exactly where his deepest feelings lie - if he'd been strong enough to express his feelings to Yoon Jae I'm sure the triangle between him, Yoon Jae and Eun Yeong would have been shown as unreal and events would not have ended up as they did. I get the feeling Se Joon realised his attraction but could not express it, whereas Yoon Jae was too innocent and suppressed his feelings but may have finally realised the truth too late. Depends how you interpret the ending. I felt sorry for poor Eun Yeong - well played by the lovely Moon Ga Young - who was really caught in the middle between two boys unable to fully express their love for each other. The treatment of her character's part was for me the most objectionable aspect of the movie - if maybe justified by the plot. The ending was also very well thought out and acted, even if - for those of us with a romantic outlook - a real bummer. Re-watch value high because even when you know the story, it's a pleasure to appreciate the finer details of how the characters develop and the plot is acted out.
Seven Days: Friday - Sunday
Sep 20, 2016
Beautiful sensitive movie, maybe the best BL movie I have seen to date. Great characterization, original premise for the storyline and plot development - the progression of the movie's plot is perfectly attuned to how the contrasting characters of Seryou and Yuzuru come together. There are two lead roles here, not one.
Udagawachou de Matteteyo
Oct 14, 2016
Really interesting and watchable treatment of a subject that is even more a minority and sensitive one than gay life - cross-dressing. I thought the actors came across very well and liked the development of their friendship. Recommended.
Love Place: Shiawase no Katachi
Oct 7, 2016
Really sweet story, it's not giving much away to say it's a "triangle" story based on misunderstandings - a typical BL format. My rating for story is based on how it's handled. Touching love scenes. The boys are tops in the eye candy department. Plus why do you always feel sorry for the one causing the problems? There's a very nice comic episode too. Not sure the bit tacked on at the read more end adds much, but that's my opinion. It's relatively short but probably just right to fit in all the ingredients and hold interest with no padding. If you're a sucker for sweet stories, cute boys and with happy endings, watch it!!
Forbidden Love
Sep 20, 2016
Unbelievable storyline. Poor characterization and character development. The lead up to the shock ending frankly lacked credibility. The shock came from nowhere because it was a complete non sequitur. Music? what music?
Hard to Give Up
Nov 2, 2016
Not the most original of storylines, but simple and touching in its way. It's a short watch, so boredom does not have time to creep in. Cast pretty wooden unfortunately. Nice happy ending always rates a bonus for me.
Taboo
Dec 4, 2016
Kano is courted by numerous other men but according to some viewers of the movie he only really loves Soji. I'm not sure exactly where that idea comes from except from possible pointers towards the end of the movie. But if true, this would be highly ironic, given that a point is made of Soji being fiercely antipathetic to same sex love. Earlier in the movie it is specifically stated Kano and read more Tashiro are an item. So why does he accept the command to kill him? This in turn is because the powers-that-be suspect Tashiro of committing murders from jealousy. But as the movie concludes it seems rather more likely that Soji may have been responsible due to his hatred of same sex love, in which case, if Kano loved Soji, it may make sense that he killed Tashiro to cover up for Soji who was actually the one he loved. Was Soji running back claiming he'd forgotten something really to get away to murder someone else - even perhaps Kano? It all gets really impenetrable. I suppose you can reach your own conclusions depending on which pieces of the jigsaw you select. The above is only predicated on the emphasis some comments have put on Soji and Kano's supposed love for him. But I'm not sure I accept that anyway. Still, it's a beautifully produced, atmospheric movie with an androgynous and beautiful lead. Alas youth is fated to be cut down for even the most beautiful like the cherry tree at the end of the film. I think that's a common metaphor in Japanese culture.
Sad…but beautiful. Rather confused at the start as to where the story was going, but the sensitive ending more than made up for it. The story-line is not original but the BL angle is and I am happy gay relationships are given equally good treatment with straight romance. If only the same were true in Europe! Not one I would probably hurry to re-watch as it's very emotional but well worth seeing read more for anyone who has not.
Our Kogen Hotel
Nov 17, 2016
Lovely, understated movie. All the actors are appealing and play their parts well. It must be very difficult to act an emotionally traumatized role. Not a movie for those looking for a lot of action but well worth viewing if you like well developed characters and a good story. My only slight criticism is that the denouement is a bit too neat - unless we are to understand that manager Sawashiro deliberately read more picked out a remote unpromising hotel to manage because of past events. Maybe - but it's certainly not spelt out and you need to exercise your imagination pretty hard before you come to that realisation. I can't say more without making a spoiler. Watch it and you'll understand. Would certainly watch again myself.
The Raccoon
Nov 6, 2016
I agree with the other reviewer. Cute, movie and actors. The young lead was super-cute!. Disjointed. Plus I'm still not sure what happened at the end. It has to be said that Chinese movies are still at a very primitive stage of development compared with Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese and HK. However the version I watched suffered from glitches like sound loss, frame jump etc and the English subtitles were pretty awful - read more but thanks are due we had any, I suppose, at least you got the flow. My Chinese is non-existent! Don't think I'd watch again.
Lan yu
Oct 8, 2016
Very touching movie told in compact episodes (i.e. events seem to be left hanging and then you find out how you got to the next bit by the use of back story, so you have to just carry on watching even if it may seem confusing) so it's all very well pieced together into a tight organic whole. Interesting background issues with China's modernization, Tiananmen etc. If you don't like movies with read more sad parts this, this may not be for you. I don't either, but of course I didn't know how the movie would turn out. But it's worth persevering for the moving story of how a relationship develops and is sustained over a long period. Fine acting and directing. I give re-watch values based on whether it justifies re-watching, although I must admit I'm inclined to skip sad ones - life's sad enough as it is!
Seven Days: Monday - Thursday
Sep 20, 2016
Beautiful sensitive movie. See my review of Fri-Sun. The whole thing had me almost in tears by the happy ending. Brilliantly acted, you really felt for these boys. Probably the best BL movie I've seen to date. Plus they are both so good-looking, Hirose Tomoki especially in the movie (is it the same person in the biog? it doesn't do him justice).
Jinroh Shokei Game
Sep 20, 2016
Weird but interesting story - brings together several genres such as the closed room whodunnit of crime fiction, hard edged rebarbative sci-fi/horror and - through its school student setting - dystopian works of children's atavistic reversion to savagery when plucked from normal "civilised" life, such as Golding's Lord of the Flies, Oe's Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids and in cinema Battle Royale. I feel the plot becomes too clever for its read more own good, the contortions become hard to follow and there's a fair amount of sleight of hand by the time it gets to the end. Still, it makes you think - whether as a dramatic comment on human society or a dramatic projection of human psychological motivations. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it!! Some nice eye candy here anyway, in particular with the sultry good looks of Ota Motahiro (whose photo on the biog page completely fails imho to do him justice compared to the movie!) (Was there any music? I don't see how we can give a required score).
The Depths
Sep 20, 2016
Brilliant dark gay-themed thriller with solid characterization, tight plot and good production values. The settings show film noir influence. Don't let the initial wedding scenes put you off, this really takes off after this is out of the way and the relationship between photgrapher Bae (Kim MIn Joon) and his friend (the groom) operating a photographic/modelling studio is established as a basis for the plot development. Ryu, working in an organized prostitution read more racket, becomes the centre-piece of the plot and is an entirely believable character, well acted by Ishida Hoshi (a name to watch). The ending is very skilfully done and certainly has you thinking to work out what happened. A solid gay-themed production, well worth a watch if you go for thriller-type movies. Not for those looking for sensitive romance.
Same Difference
Sep 21, 2016
I like to think I'm a generous person, so give this a 5. Eye candy value only, though. A disappointment.

Male