As of episode 7, I don't trust Bu Yeon.

Is she selfish? Or, was she was corrupted by the Ice Stone?

If Master Lee's revelation in Episode 7 is any hint, Bu Yeon planned to consume Nak Su's energy since Part 1. But she had to retrieve the Ice Stone first from Jin Mu.

It is a huge gamble. But, as per Master Lee, everything is still going to according to Bu Yeon's plans.

Bu Yeon taught Nak Su about the Ice Stone, and manipulatively led her to make choices Bu Yeon wants without Nak Su being the wiser. She wants Jang Uk, the true heir, to have the Ice Stone and to keep Nak Su from using it herself.

Once that was done, Bu Yeon will unleash all her raw energy and Divine Power to consume Nak Su. Unfortunately, Jin Mama almost killed Bu Yeon, then Jin Mu made Nak Su go wild which further weakened Bu Yeon.

Now, in Part 2, with a weakened Bu Yeon, Master Lee almost removed her soul. But in the end, Master Lee did not.

Quite possibly, Bu Yeon talked to Master Lee and coerced him to do her bidding. Master Lee helped Bu Yeon sealed Nak Su's soul, so Master Lee can redirect Nak Su's energy to as a source for the Body's Divine Power -- ssince Bu Yeon can not provide the energy.

But in the process, Bu Yeon is slowly consuming Nak Su's energy too. Once Nak Su is depleted, she will disappear, and Bu Yeon will re-emerge.

Unfortunately, for that to work, NakYeon (the new identity) must not use the Divine Power. Because everytime she uses it, the seal on Nak Su's soul weakens, thus Nak Su's memories are leaking.

If Nak Su's smemories are leaking, Nak Su's soul will notice her energy is being consumed by Bu Yeon.

And well, with a weakened Bu Yeon and enraged Nak Su, they will definitely die.

Everything lies on NakYeon, the new identity, to control those two souls, possibly merge those two souls. Bu Yeon and Nak Su definitely want to live, but them occupying one body would no longer work.

Nak Su is under the control of Jin Mu. A repeat of Part 1 is possible if Jin Mu discovers Nak Su is back, if one of the souls are stronger, the other can not do much about it.

Then there is Jin Mama who definitely wants Bu Yeon to be back.

NakYeon is their only hope.

Updated as of Episode 8

Updates

• Episode 8:
    • Bu Yeon has weakened (end of Part 1) and needs to recover
      • Nak Su's energy is feeding the Divine Power, so it can keep the petrification at bay.
    • Since Jang Uk knows Hwansu, he can choose to remove Bu Yeon.
      • But it is forbidden.
        • NOTE: This was what Master Lee was going to do, but for some reason ended up not doing it.

The situation

• Episode 8: Jang Uk knows Hwansu, and can choose to remove Bu Yeon and keep Nak Su in the body.
    • This was what Master Lee originally meant to do.
  • Episode 8: Bu Yeon finally admitted she is only using Nak Su, and will discard her after she achieves her goals.
    • But, as she has weakened because of the events in the ending of Part 1, Bu Yeon was not able to discard Nak Su.
      • Now, she is consuming Nak Su's energy to recover her own energy. Once Bu Yeon's own energy is back, she will be able to take back control of the Divine Power, and be stronger than Nak Su, enabling her to remove Nak Su.

Current situation as of Episode 8

1. The NakYeon identity is still in control after she finally accepted she was Nak Su.
    • She still is the same NakYeon, she does not have the bravery, carelessness, and mindset of Nak Su.
    • She still talks as NakYeon, detached from, and not as, Nak Su.
      • “One of my memories was Jin Mu” instead of “I remember Jin Mu”.
  2. But NakYeon still does not have control of Nak Su's energies.
    • Nak Su's energy is still being used as the source for the Divine Power.
      • And Bu Yeon is still consuming it.
    • NakYeon is so down, she submitted to her fate of dying.

Some other notes

• Master Lee said:
    • The Body, or Mu Deok, is still alive while petrified because of the Divine Power.
      • Episode 1: He said that the only way to save the Body is to remove Bu Yeon's soul; then Nak Su's energy will be used as source of energy for the Body. Doing so will enable the Divine Power to reverse the petrification.
    • This points to the following:
      • Bu Yeon, even at a weakened state, still had full control over the Divine Power.
        • Because of Bu Yeon's weak energy, the only thing the Divine Power can do was to keep the Body alive.
        • Also, Master Lee, can not simply use Nak Su's energy as the new source of energy for the Body. Bu Yeon must go.
  • However, as of Episode 7:
    • Master Lee revealed that Bu Yeon is actually still in the Body.
      • And that everything is still going according to Bu Yeon's plans.
    • This hints to the following:
      • When Master Lee tried to remove Bu Yeon, she probably talked to him.
        • Bu Yeon convinced Master Lee to keep her inside because it is her own body. She will slowly consume Nak Su's energy and make it her own.
        • Once Bu Yeon recovers, she will once again become the energy source of the Body and the Divine Power.
        • Since Bu Yeon will be stronger than Nak Su, she can finally eject Nak Su. Which was her plan all along, if she was not weakened at the end of Part 1.
  • Master Lee said NakYeon should not use her Divine Power, because:
    • He agreed with Bu Yeon that the best course of action is to let Bu Yeon consume Nak Su's energy and make it her own.
      • This way, at least one person can be saved, and that is the owner of the Body, Bu Yeon herself.
      • However, NakYeon still ended up using the Body's Divine Power, which made the lock on Nak Su's memory weaker and weaker.
      • While things are still going according to Bu Yeon's plans, and he agreed to it, things still happened contrary to it. He is considering that maybe, just maybe, Jang Uk and Nak Su are meant to be together.

As of episode 8. There is still the possibility that everything lies on the NakYeon identity. There is still the possibility that NakYeon can unite Bu Yeon and Nak Su together. Maybe being inside the prison would give NakYeon the power to subdue the Ice Stone-touched Bu Yeon.

Again, this has to be said, it is a guess and nothing else.

IM YourOnlyOne

Thanks for your analysis and your effort and for sharing it with us.

This will definitely help all Alchemists understand better.

IM YourOnlyOne:
Maybe being inside the prison would give NakYeon the power to subdue the Ice Stone-touched Bu Yeon.

I am pretty confused with this sentence. 

Do you mean to say that NakYeon can subdue the Ice Stone?

And JBY's heart was touched by NakYeon's action?

I was thinking about why JBY took in Naksu's soul in S1. It must be just like how NakYeon is rn.

JBY couldn't remember who she was so she took Naksu to get her memory and divine power back.

But the plan was interrupted by her mother choking her. I think that was the time when she remembered everything too cos of the flashback scenes.

Also, I think NakYeon went to Jin Mu this time to do what JBY would do: protect Jinyowon instead of her revenge. She will revenge Jin Mu for sure but now is not the time yet. And JBY will take revenge for her if NakYeon failed to do so.

Sorry if this repeats other comments as I didn't read all of the above:  But optimistically hoping for a happy ending, Bu-Yeon's soul will be transferred to So-I's dead body via Hwansu/Ice-Stone/Jin-Priestess-powers/other-deus-ex-machina, leaving Naksu's soul in her now compatible body.  Not sure which of our couples Jang Uk/Naksu,  Park Dang Gu/Jin Cho Yeon, or So-Yi=JBY/Seo Yul will have the babies. But biologically speaking, it won't be Go Won/the Turtle.

Apparently So-i is not a viable choice of body? As you need to be at the brink of death, not dead.

@IM YourOnlyOne thank you for your in-depth analysis. on this. 

milZ888:

Apparently So-i is not a viable choice of body? As you need to be at the brink of death, not dead.

@IM YourOnlyOne thank you for your in-depth analysis. on this. 

I could be wrong, but I think at some point it was stated that the ice stone (or Hwansu?) could even return souls to bodies that were dead. Not that any statements on what's impossible are to be taken at face value in this show.

Ok I have a question. Let's say that Naksu's soul gets out of the body, what will JBY look like? As of now she looks like how Naksu would. Would she stay the same or will she turn back to how Mudeok looked like cause I thought that Jung So-Min will not be in this season.

@Kate

I think JBY will first need to be petrified to change back to her appearance.

That's one of the reasons why I expect happy an ending. XD

I think, there is a possibility for a happy ending for all -  Bu Yeon will reborn as a child of Nak Su and Jan Uk. I thought about that possibility when her mother wanted to force her to give birth to a heir of Jin family.

what is bu yeon’s plan?

It seems like the divine soul in JBY is is the original Jin priestess Jin Seol-ran, who may have entered Mama Jin's stillborn child through the ice stone (where she preserved her soul). In that case, it could well be JSR, not Naksu, who leaves JBY's body once all the dust has settled, having achieved her goals.

And Master Lee is talking complete bullshit as usual.

I also thought/ hoped that the JBY would live on as a child of NAK-UK. But i don't think this will be the case. There has been no drama inclination that the two have been intimate, just kissing.

We still don't actually know what happened to Mu-Deok body as it was never shown (at least not that i remember). Would love to see JBY return to her original body once she has recovered within Naksu. This might be made possible with the ice stone and with the fire bird.

Which ever way they want to portray it, I'm sure that it will be a happy ending otherwise there will be viewer outrange. AOS best drama of 2022.

FINAL update

Changelog:

Updates

• Episode 9 and 10
    • As was guessed in Part 1, Bu Yeon's soul is Jin Seol Ran.
      • The real soul of Bu Yeon never returned.
      • The soul that entered the baby was the soul of Jin Seol Ran.
    • As has been mentioned before, Part 1 is about and was planned by Bu Yeon.
      • Bu Yeon's objective was to retrieve the Ice Stone.
    • Part 2 revealed:
      • Bu Yeon (i.e. Seol Ran) attracted Nak Su (as was said before (even in Part 1)), Bu Yeon needs Nak Su for her plans).
      • Bu Yeon, in Part 1, taught Nak Su not only to lead her to make decisions favourable for her (Bu Yeon) plans, but also because Bu Yeon also planned to give control of the body to Nak Su.
      • Jang Uk was part of Bu Yeon's plan (as was mentioned before, too)
    • Master Lee is alive because he entered a dead body of a boy.
      • He practically hinted that if a soul enters a dead body, they would not suffer petrification, thus, they won't need to consume a living person's energy.

The situation

• Episode 9 and 10
    • Bu Yeon is actually Jin Seol Ran (I, and others,Se posited this back in Part 1)
    • Bu Yeon meant by making Nak Su disappear, only temporarily. Bu Yeon never intended for Nak Su to disappear permanently.

Episode 9 and 10 ending to the NakYeon dilemma

1. It was not clear if Bu Yeon (a.k.a. Jin Seol Ran) left the body, because in the last scene, both of her eyes glowed blue:
    • The mark of a soul shifter
    • The mark that there are two souls in the body
  2. In the scene when Bu Yeon woke up the soul of Nak Su, they were in the same place when the souls of Bu Yeon and Nak Su first met in Part 1.
    • It's a depiction of the internal place within the body of the two souls.
    • Bu Yeon (a.k.a. Jin Seol Ran) is more likely still in the Body. Bu Yeon is simply sleeping.
      • This is similar in Part 1 when it was first revealed that Bu Yeon takes control of the Body when Nak Su is sleeping.
  3. WIthout Bu Yeon, Nak Su will reject the Body and will petrify if she does not consume a living person's energy. The side effect of Alchemy of Soul (instead of using Hwansu).
    • Like in Part 1, it was Bu Yeon that kept the petrification at bay through the Divine Power
    • It was also showed in Part 1 that the Divine Power can purify the energy consumption process.
    • In Part 2, since Bu Yeon has regained her energy, the Divine Power can tap on Bu Yeon's energy instead of Nak Su's energy.
    • Once again, the Diving Power is at work putting the petrification at bay, just like in Part 1. The only difference is, there is no more need for Bu Yeon to wake up.
  4. In the end, NakYeon, or as herself has chosen, Cho Yeong, survived.
    • She still is a new identity. If the English translations are correct, the way NakYeon/Cho Yeong speaks is still detached to her past identity as Nak Su.
    • And she also has full control of the Body's Divine Power.
      • Which Bu Yeon probably relegated control to NakYeon, since she decided to sleep.

Some other notes

• Jin Bu Yeon's baby body was already dead, Jin Seol Ran's transfer into that body was similar to Hwansu (like Master Lee), no side effect, even though the Ice Stone was used.
    • Even if there is a side effect (because of the Ice Stone), Jin Seol Ran's energy was very powerful, and the Divine Power in the Body was also powerful to push back the petrification (as we've seen in Part 1).

Memorable

1. Born as Cho Yeong
  2. Grew up as Nak Su, the assassin
  3. Lived as Mu Deok
  4. Resurrected as Bu Yeon (Part 2 version of Bu Yeon, not 'Bu Yeon as Seol Ran') 
  5. Reborn as Cho Yeong (a.k.a. the NakYeon identity)

NOTE: This is only how I understood and reconciled things from an in-universe perspective. It does not mean this is how you should interpret the show.

Ahead:
I am pretty confused with this sentence.

Do you mean to say that NakYeon can subdue the Ice Stone?

And JBY's heart was touched by NakYeon's action?

Not the ice stone itself, rather, Bu Yeon, since she once touched the ice stone when she was ten years old, and her soul was called into the dead baby through the ice stone.

But of course, as of episode 10, Bu Yeon isn't "bad" at all. She just stuck with her plans to ensure things will happen as she has seen it 200 years ago.

Thecla:
I could be wrong, but I think at some point it was stated that the ice stone (or Hwansu?) could even return souls to bodies that were dead. Not that any statements on what's impossible are to be taken at face value in this show.

At least, as of episode 10, it seems to hint that Hwansu is the method that can move souls into a dead body, when Master Lee said that's how he survived.

But if one is using the Ice Stone / Soul Ejector / Alchemy of Soul spell, it probably is not possible to transfer to a dead body. I think this was hinted as one of Jang Uk's father's experiments, but failed every single time.

On Jang Uk's part with the power of the Ice Stone, he can move souls through the power of the Ice Stone; or through Hwansu.

Thecla:

It seems like the divine soul in JBY is is the original Jin priestess Jin Seol-ran, who may have entered Mama Jin's stillborn child through the ice stone (where she preserved her soul). In that case, it could well be JSR, not Naksu, who leaves JBY's body once all the dust has settled, having achieved her goals.

And Master Lee is talking complete bullshit as usual.

Yep, what happened as of episode 10! ^_^