HeadInTheClouds:
-10000 points for involving FL in her messy ass romantic dealings. Not cool! Poor dude was like a roadkill on XY's highway of love :-)

I have to agree.  Poor Feng Long didn't deserve getting involved in her mess or his fate or a 'friend' like Jing.  If Tong Hua wanted to make his life miserable, she should have married him to A Nian, and then both he and his wife could have been in love with CX and had their own angsty, not a tragedy ending.

HeadInTheClouds:
She didn't want to give them a chance for that and other (valid) reasons but chose to give Jing a chance for the very reason that she didn't want to give XL a chance even though Jing was engaged and she might have to wait around for 15 years while he gets his shit together.

15 years?  Jing couldn't get his shit together in 15 lifetimes.

This is one of my big problems with XY and Jing and one we had a major discussion about before.  In no universe is the real Jing the sort of man that any sane woman would want in her dreams, cause he's a repeat liar and engaged / practically married!   Nor would any sane woman give him the time of day, much less ANOTHER chance, cause the 15 Year Promise was not the first chance that Jing got, and he repeatedly FAILED, FAILED, and FAILED every chance you gave him.

HeadInTheClouds:
She had obviously weighed up the gains and losses and chosen the option that she believes had a better return.

XY failed at maths.  And from learning from experience.

HeadInTheClouds:
Now that her investment turned out to be bad, and she wants to start something with XL, she's going to have to go all out to make up for the previous "rejection". Maybe hiring a band and a flash mob would do the trick :-). But it has to be clear and leave no doubt about her intentions. A crystal ball on the eve of her marriage to another man, ain't going to cut it. That just screamed, "I'm not quite sure and hedging my bet". I wouldn't take that bait.

Exactly.

HeadInTheClouds:
I would like to add that her accepting Jing's proposition is totally fine. With her issues, it makes sense why she would be reluctance to explore things with XL. Although, getting involved with an engaged man ain't a good look and speaks to her impaired judgement and moral standards.

When your major criteria is not having another woman in the relationship, I again question XY's ability to calculate, by hooking her dreams and hopes on a guy who is engaged to a woman who has been living as his wife for the last ten years.  Especially given that woman is a female assassin who clearly is far more effective and ruthless than Jing.

HeadInTheClouds:
And I'm also not saying that if she has been less passive that would mean a happy ending for her and XL. XL would also need to do his part.

I have faith in XL.  Unlike others full of empty promises, XL gets things done, and delivers on his promises.

windiaaa041293:
Picture of the Wilderness

I have translated the map below.

Actually, the Weibo poster 墙外行人p was questioning the accuracy of the map based on what is known from the novel. I do find some discrepancies as well. I am also more inclined to think that the Fang Feng clan's locations should be swapped with Fang Lei clan, since the Fang Feng clan is from the North. The location of Qingshui Town also feels a little questionable - it seems too far away inland. I always had the impression that it should be on the east of the Central Plains, rather than on the west. Hmm....

liddi:

Actually, the Weibo poster 墙外行人p was questioning the accuracy of the map based on what is known from the novel. I do find some discrepancies as well. I am also more inclined to think that the Fang Feng clan's locations should be swapped with Fang Lei clan, since the Fang Feng clan is from the North. The location of Qingshui Town also feels a little questionable - it seems too far away inland. I always had the impression that it should be on the east of the Central Plains, rather than on the west. Hmm....

Ah, thank you!  Though the image isn't loading for me right now.

I was trying to translate it with the Google Image Translate and what hanzi I recognized, as well as my map reading skills.  Like I can see the borders.  The big rust medallions are the 3 kingdoms, and the rust label is Qing Shui Town.  The white labels are the named mountains -- except Jade Mountain which is waaaaaay off to the west.  But it wasn't lining up with what I imagined, either.

I did think Qing Shui Town was in the far west, under Xiyan -- so I was thinking even further west.  But I thought 5 Mountains and Haolin was to the south west, nearer Qing Shui Town -- not on the east and across the river from the Central Plains.  I certainly didn't think Jade Mountain was the westernmost feature all by itself.  In the drama, Jade Mountain was in the Central Plains and close to where Xin Yue was hanging out on the boat with FFYY -- I can't remember what city it was.

liddi:

Yu Shan (Jade mountain) should be on the West if I remember correctly. 

It took 1 day to get from Zhi yi to Five Deity mountain and about half a day from Zhi Yi to Qing Shui. 

Qing Shui was located by the sea (East sea)  and from it went down south to Gaoxin. It mentioned  that the north of Qing Shui is Xuan Yuan. However, Xuan Yuan here was the kingdom after conquering of Sheng nong, meaning the central Plain at that time belonged to Xuan Yuan kingdom already. Thus from the text, I always think Qing shui was located in the south east of the great Xuan Yuan kingdom. 

Ze Province and Zhi Yi should be much closer to Sheng Nong mountain since XY and FFB frequently went to discovery those city in their day trip. 

And indeed, Fang Feng clan should be in the north of Sheng nong kingdom

Sheng Nong and its Central Plain was the largest part of Da Huang. This map show Gaoxin size was quite large and signicant.  

liddi:

Okay, I see this now.  And it's got the Haolin Bai Li tribe in the Central Plains,  and it's got Xi Ling clan in Xiyan, both of which are wrong, I believe.  And why is Gui Fang all the way up there?

And according to this map, Qing Shui Town is one of the most strategic spots on the map.  There's no clear path to Haolin, from Xiyan, except by marching thru Qing Shui Town ... and maybe below Xilling?   No wonder the Resistance Army was such a pain in the butt sitting in those mountains, ready to sweep onto any travel in those passes.

H19279:
Ze Province and Zhi Yi should be much closer to Sheng Nong mountain since XY and FFB frequently went to discovery those city in their day trip. 

Based on the novel, the general location of Shen Nong mountain, Ze Province, Yan Chuan  Plains, Zhi Yi and Dan River are accurate:

Shen Nong Mountain was located in the hinterland of the Central Plains, its scenery beautiful and majestic. It had a total of nine mountains, two rivers and twenty-eight main peaks. To the north, it was connected to the strategic military fortress of Ze Province; overlooked the fertile Yan Chuan Plains to the south; guarded by the natural barrier of Dan River in the east; and the city walls and moat of  the renowned Zhi Yi laid to the west.

-- Vol 2 Ch1  (Chapter 19)

To travel from Zhi Yi to Qing Qiu would take two hours using a cloud carriage. It was even faster with a winged ride, requiring only about an hour.

-- Vol 2 Ch3  (Chapter 20)

Shen Nong Mountain is actually a mountain range, and Xiao Yao and Fangfeng Bei travelled on winged rides, which should cut their travel time considerably. So I guess it is still possible that they could have made a day trip to travel to and from Zhi Yi and/or Ze Province.  Also, Zhi Yi and Qing Qiu is an hour away by winged ride, which would make travel time between Zhi Yi /Ze Province and Shen Nong mountain considerably less than that.

We also know that it took Furball at least half a day to 1 day to travel from the ocean to Zhi Yi, after Xiao Yao woke up following the 37 years. 

The moment Xiao Yao woke up, she felt sunlight shining on her eyes. Instinctively, she turned oer, and closed her eyes to continue sleeping.
:
Once Xiao Yao climbed on to the back of the white condor, it immediately ascended into the sky and flew towards the Central Plains.
:
The next morning, the white condor landed outside Zhi Yi City. Xiao Yao knew that many people recognised Xiang Liu's winged ride, so it could only her this far.

-- Vol 2 Ch5  (Chapter 22)

H19279:
Sheng Nong and its Central Plain was the largest part of Da Huang. This map show Gaoxin size was quite large and signicant.  

Yes true. I always thought that Shen Nong (the Central Plains) commanded the largest area, and Xuan Yuan the smallest. From the map, it would appear that Xuan Yuan and Gao Xin are almost comparable in size while Shen Nong is the smallest. Also, was Yu Abyss and Tang Gorge supposed to be on the opposite far ends of Gao Xin? 

When Cang Xuan was wounded, the physician Wu Cheng mentioned that Tang Gorge was thousands of miles away from Qingshui town. I don't recall whether there was any mention how long it would take for them to travel to Tang Gorge?

H19279:
Yu Shan (Jade mountain) should be on the West if I remember correctly. 

My impression was that Jade Mountain was always isolated from the rest of the Great Wilderness.  I don't recall its location being mentioned in LYF. Was there anything in Once Promised?

Kokuto:
Okay, I see this now.  And it's got the Haolin Bai Li tribe in the Central Plains,  and it's got Xi Ling clan in Xiyan, both of which are wrong, I believe.  And why is Gui Fang all the way up there?

Actually that is the Bai Li / Jiu Li tribe where the lovers bug originated. The tribe you are thinking of is  Gao Xin's Bai Hu tribe, which is further south.

Kokuto:
And according to this map, Qing Shui Town is one of the most strategic spots on the map.  There's no clear path to Haolin, from Xiyan, except by marching thru Qing Shui Town ... and maybe below Xilling?   No wonder the Resistance Army was such a pain in the butt sitting in those mountains, ready to sweep onto any travel in those passes.

Qingshui Town is meant to border Xuan Yuan to the west, the Shen Nong resistance army to the east, and Gao Xin to the south. Nonetheless, I never imagined it to be so far inland. Also, the Shen Nong resistance army base was in the mountains, but was their hideout in the Shen Nong mountain range itself? I never had that impression. If it were, Xiang Liu would not have said that they could never go home anymore, and asked for two peaks on Shen Nong mountain for them to be buried there...

windiaaa041293:

Picture of the Wilderness

I echo everyone's sentiment about this map. Bai Li is described as mountainous in Once Promised, so it doesn't make sense to have it in the plains.  I also got the impression that the Haoling tribes were more condensed closer to the ocean.

Green dot is where I thought QingshuyTown was with the mountain range that XL would have been hiding in.

plor20:
I echo everyone's sentiment about this map. Bai Li is described as mountainous in Once Promised, so it doesn't make sense to have it in the plains.  I also got the impression that the Haoling tribes were more condensed closer to the ocean.

Actually, I imagined Bai Li to be in the mountainous area where the current Qingshui town is supposed to be situated, or perhaps even further north, beyond Shen Nong mountain.  Does that make sense? 

And yes, I thought Gao Xin should be closer to the ocean instead of being spread so far inland. Though, I have no concept of where Yu Abyss is meant to be. 

plor20:
Green dot is where I thought QingshuyTown was with the mountain range that XL would have been hiding in.

My impression is that it was probably closer to the mountains where the Xi He tribe was, rather than so far down south, because it is actually at the north of the Gao Xin kingdom.

In addition to having General Hong Jiang’s army to the East, Qingshui Town was West of the Xuan Yuan Kingdom and North of the Gao Xin Kingdom.

-- Vol 1 Ch2

Beyond the back door of the humble Hui Chun clinic laid a plot of land planted with medicinal herbs. Further down the field was the West River, which would lead into Qing Shui, and the rushing waters of Qing Shui would flow into the East Sea.

-- Vol 3 Ch13  (Chapter 46)

so something like this?: this also makes alot of sense too. red: baili, green= Qingshui Town

this would make sense becuase huichun clinic is near a small river, and would explain her ablity to swim to the ocean, and accessibility to guord lake.

plor20:
so something like this?: this also makes alot of sense too. red: baili, green= Qingshui Town

this would make sense becuase huichun clinic is near a small river, and would explain her ablity to swim to the ocean, and accessibility to guord lake.

Yes. That's how I would imagine it.

Certainly not where Qingshui Town is currently. It would take her forever to reach the ocean at that rate!

Any thoughts about the location of Qing Qiu? I always assumed it was far nearer to Zhi Yi City, since Little Yan Zhuan convinced the Tushan clan to make Zhi Yi the centre of their business operations. Was there any mention that it was near the East Sea?

There is no mention of the Jin Tian clan of the south, or Ji Province where A Heng died. The desert and peach blossom forest where A Heng and Chi Chen were, it would be on the north shore of Chi Shui though...

liddi:

i just did a quick scanning of the first chapter of Once Promised. it is said that:

Sheng Nong is in the center of D Huang. 

Gaoxin is Southeast of Sheng Nong.

Xuan Yuan is in the northwest of sheng nong

Bai li is mountain area on the South West of Shen Nong. 

Chapter 4 Once Promised said Jade Mountain was on the West of Da Huang

In chapter 9, once promised, it is said that Ze province is on the north of Sheng Nong mountain  which is located at the center of the Middle Plain. Zhy Yi is on the west of Sheng nong mountain 

Yu Abyss is where the sun goes down thus it should be on the West

Ji Province where Ah Heng died was in (or close to ) Xuan Yuan kingdom . 

Qing Shui should be half distance between Sheng Nong mountain and Five god mountain 

H19279:

i just did a quick scanning of the first chapter of Once Promised. it is said that:

Sheng Nong is in the center of D Huang. 

Gaoxin is Southeast of Sheng Nong.

Xuan Yuan is in the northwest of sheng nong

Bai li is mountain area on the South West of Shen Nong. 

Chapter 4 Once Promised said Jade Mountain was on the West of Da Huang

In chapter 9, once promised, it is said that Ze province is on the north of Sheng Nong mountain  which is located at the center of the Middle Plain. Zhy Yi is on the west of Sheng nong mountain 

Yu Abyss is where the sun goes down thus it should be on the West

Ji Province where Ah Heng died was in (or close to ) Xuan Yuan kingdom . 

Qing Shui should be half distance between Sheng Nong mountain and Five god mountain 

Then the shape of the map itself is incorrect that's why Qingshui Town looks too much in land. Um....maybe I'll investigate a map generator to create what could've been.

HeadInTheClouds:
I would like to add that her accepting Jing's proposition is totally fine. With her issues, it makes sense why she would be reluctance to explore things with XL. Although, getting involved with an engaged man ain't a good look and speaks to her impaired judgement and moral standards. And I'm also not saying that if she has been less passive that would mean a happy ending for her and XL. XL would also need to do his part. It's about her decision making process, what action she took and how that comes across. Does that makes sense?

Yes, what you're saying definitely makes sense. In real life, I would have no tolerance for this type of behavior of going after an engaged/married man. There's no excuse. It's despicable. However, in the context of a story involving face/shape/gender-shifting, mermaids living in sea shells, deities threatening to whip, kill, and castrate each other, fish stones, PLBs, hot nine-headed demons, and morally gray characters living in a society that normalizes violence, subjugates women, conducts slave death matches for entertainment value, and where polygamy/fun with prostitutes is the norm for the entitled wealthy class, I can suspend my moral judgement and look at the extenuating circumstances behind XY's situation.

Do I think Jing is a waste of food/space/oxygen? Yes. Do I secretly wish TSH had been competent enough to actually kill him? Yes, although I guess that's not really a secret anymore. Do I think XY is dumb AF for getting entangled with this hot mess of a weaselly man? Undoubtedly. Had XY ended up with Feng Long, Ru Shou, TSH, heck even CX, then I wouldn't have felt the strong desire to smack some sense into her.

All that said, I personally believe that Tong Hua intended to write XY as a shrewd but pitiful character rather than a dumb b*tch who was completely undeserving of XL, so I choose to overlook her shortcomings and not hate on her too much. If I really allowed myself to hate her, I'd be a YaoJing fan instead of a YaoLiu fan because I'd think XY and Jing deserved each other. And the thought of having to head over to the YaoJing forum--that might be even scarier than death.

End rant :)

plor20:

Then the shape of the map itself is incorrect that's why Qingshui Town looks too much in land. Um....maybe I'll investigate a map generator to create what could've been.

This map is a bit different from the one we saw in the drama -- mainly on the east where the big river is going in a  different direction, and there's more land past it.

https://ameblo.jp/shanghaijvmi/entry-12815420590.html