https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/byeon-woo-seok-says-heartbeats-get-fast-due-to-lovely-runner-fame-reacts-to-being-called-sunjae-instead-of-own-name-1306377

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2024/05/21/kim-hye-yoon-appreciates-her-fans-even-more-after-lovely-runner/?sh=4ca9e7b8b843

I wrote an article that might be interesting to some on the success and challenges of lovely runner. I am planning on writing more, but just in case you want to read it here it is - https://theintjheadspace.wordpress.com/2024/05/22/from-underdog-to-triumph-the-remarkable-journey-of-lovely-runner/

Kessa Muffin:

I wrote an article that might be interesting to some on the success and challenges of lovely runner. I am planning on writing more, but just in case you want to read it here it is - https://theintjheadspace.wordpress.com/2024/05/22/from-underdog-to-triumph-the-remarkable-journey-of-lovely-runner/

Nice ! Tq... 🫰

https://x.com/lilymelodies/status/1795651647282258365

an important interview from HY's view... hopefully you will get more scriprs HY'ah. ... and BSW will always be buddies with you

INTERVIEW Kim Hye-yoon credits unique narrative for global success of 'Lovely Runner 

By Park Jin-hai

Kim Hye-yoon, the star of the recently concluded tvN romance drama, "Lovely Runner," attributes the show's global success to its unique blend of storytelling.

A key factor of the narrative's appeal, according to Kim, is its shifting perspectives between Im Sol (Kim) and her love interest Ryu Sun-jae (Byeon Woo-seok), departing from the traditional romantic comedy format, which usually focuses primarily on the female lead.

“The buzz surrounding the drama began after the drama narrates from the perspective of the male protagonist, Sun-jae. Rom-com dramas in many cases normally unravel the story from the perspective of the female lead, so this change of perspective must have given drama fans a heart-fluttering moment,” Kim said during an interview with The Korea Times at a cafe in Seoul, Monday, a day before the airing of the final episode, adding that the popularity still feels as a sudden and pleasant surprise to her.

The 16-part drama intricately weaves together the perspectives of Sol and Sun-jae, providing viewers with a multifaceted understanding of both characters. This approach allows audiences to connect with them on a deeper level, delving into their motivations and emotions as they navigate the complexities of their relationship.

“Another biggest attraction of this drama is the theme of mutual 'rescue romance' as the leads save each other, both emotionally and physically,” she said.

The series centers on Sol, a huge fan of the K-pop idol Sun-jae. Sol, who aspired to be a movie director, became paralyzed after an accident and finds comfort in Sun-jae's music. Then, disaster strikes again when top star Sun-jae kills himself, leaving his fan Sol heartbroken.

In a twist of fate, Sol travels back in time and wakes up back in high school, 15 years in the past — before her accident and Sun-jae's death. Seeing this as a miracle, Sol decides to use this chance to save her idol and rewrite their destinies.

The 27-year-old actor, debuted on the KBS drama “Samsaengi” (2013) playing a supporting character, became a recognizable face through the mega-hit JTBC series “Sky Castle” (2018). With “Lovely Runner,” Kim is experiencing the highlight of her career.

She said the script of the drama, adapted from web novel “Tomorrow's Best,” was so much fun and even made her worried about her acting.

"The script was as much fun as the original web novel. I was laughing and crying along the way. The story was so captivating that it made me feel even more pressure. I hoped that I could express it well enough for the viewers to experience the same range of emotions. I was really worried about whether I could do it," Kim said.

Another challenge she faced was portraying her character, Sol, across different life stages, from her teens to her 30s, through various time jumps in the drama.

"The time-slip element was challenging because it required me to portray a 30-something woman who returned to her teenage self. So I had to carefully choose words and expressions that teenagers would not typically use,” she explained.

Kim also paid attention to visual details such as hairstyle and clothes to differentiate Sol's appearance at various ages throughout the drama.

“For younger Sol, I wore fake bangs, while for older Sol in her 30s, (I opted for a) more mature hairstyle. Wardrobe has been youthful and vibrant in her teens and early 20s, but a more sophisticated style for adult Sol,” she said.

When asked about how much similarity she as a person shares with her character, Kim responded "50 percent."

"Sol is a very emotional person, often shedding tears in extreme situations. However, in real life, I am not someone who cries easily. I would say that I share about 50 percent of Sol's personality traits. Like Sol, I am cheerful and have a great sense of humor, which makes it easier for me to portray her character," she said.

"However, Sol is the type of person who bounces back immediately from difficult situations, never giving up or dwelling on them. In contrast, I do experience moments of discouragement, self-doubt and hesitation. While Sol's resilience is something I admire and hope to learn from."

Kim expressed her openness to taking on more teen romance roles, stating that she is willing to continue embracing such characters as long as she can.

"Instead of working hard to try to shed school uniforms or break away from teen image, I want to embrace it and let it be. Time will come when I look awkward to wear school uniforms in dramas. Until that time, I am happy to wear them," she said.

However, unlike Sol, Kim has no desire to revisit the past, even if given the opportunity to travel through time.

"I has given much thought about what time period I would go back to if time travel were possible. But I think I would choose not to go back to the past even if I could. I believe I made choices in the past and they were the best choices that I could make at the time. I have no regrets about it. In fact, those choices I made led me to where I am today," Kim said with a smile.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2024/05/398_375523.html

INTERVIEW 'Lovely Runner' actor Lee Seung-hyub reflects on familiar idol role 

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2024/05/688_375525.html

Lee Seung-hyub plays Baek In-hyuk in the tvN series "Lovely Runner." 

N.Flying member notes impact of music on his actingBy Pyo Kyung-min

The popular tvN series "Lovely Runner" wrapped up its final episode Tuesday, leaving viewers enchanted and eager for more. Known for its heart-warming romance between Ryu Sun-jae (Byeon Woo-seok) and Im Sol (Kim Hye-yoon), the show owes much of its success to the outstanding performances of its cast.

And among the stellar lineup is actor Lee Seung-hyub, who played Baek In-hyuk, Ryu's long-time friend and bandmate in the fictional boy band Eclipse.

Lee, a singer-turned-actor who burst onto the scene as a member of the rock band N.Flying, credited his real-life experience as a singer the key to his acting prowess during an interview with The Korea Times at his agency headquarters, FNC Entertainment, May 22.

"The fact that I'm a singer brought a unique dynamic to this drama," Lee said. "Witnessing viewers’ reactions, where they assumed I was initially an actor, finally felt like a validation of my career in acting. It was gratifying to know that my performance was seamlessly embraced."

Lee debuted back in 2015 as the frontperson and guitarist of N.Flying, expanding his career into acting just two years later. He continued to build his resume with roles in JTBC's 2021 romance drama "Nevertheless" and tvN's 2022 rom-com series "Shooting Stars."

In "Lovely Runner," Lee portrays the character Baek, a passionate young man who embarks on a journey from his hometown to Seoul at the age of 16, driven by his dream of becoming a singer. Along the way, he encounters Ryu, and together they navigate the challenges and experiences as members of a fictional K-pop juggernaut.

Lee emphasized that, similar to his character Baek, he has harbored a deep love for music since a young age. Reflecting on his own experiences, Lee shared that he left his hometown of Daegu at the age of 19, dedicating himself entirely to music as he made the move to Seoul.

“Playing Baek brought back many memories of my youth,” Lee recalled. “Like Baek, I too, being from the provincial area, had to travel to Seoul for lessons every weekend since there were no music schools nearby. It also reminded me of auditioning for my dreams during middle school.”

However, Lee clarified that he and Baek possess very different personalities. In person, Lee's deep voice and thoughtful demeanor stood in stark contrast to the vibrant and playful character portrayed on screen.

“Baek and I have completely opposite personalities. My natural voice is this low and I'm generally calm, whereas Baek is cheerful and always brightens the atmosphere with his high-pitched voice. So, I had some difficulty at the beginning,” he said.

“Even though Baek and I share a common passion for music, I felt that if my usual self was projected onto the character, I wouldn’t be able to faithfully portray the lively In-hyuk. So, I focused on acting practice to uncover and express my hidden playful and oblivious sides.”

Lee said his co-actors significantly helped him during these practices.

"The director of 'Lovely Runner' stressed the importance of camaraderie among the cast for the success of the drama and it proved to be true. I formed strong bonds with my fellow actors," the 31-year-old noted.

"In particular, I became close friends with (Byeon) Woo-seok. We spent time together off-set, bonding over drinks and workouts, and I received valuable acting advice from him. Byeon isn’t naturally outgoing, but his support was invaluable," Lee said, expressing gratitude to his fellow actor.

Lee's N.Flying bandmates also unwavering support for him throughout his journey.

"When you're close, there's a lot of teasing. My N.Flying bandmates would playfully tease me about my performance in the drama, which I interpreted as their way of showing affection and interest in my work," he said.

Lee is currently gearing up to make another appearance in an upcoming tvN drama soon, aiming to showcase his talents.

"I don't see much difference between my work with N.Flying and my acting career. I simply aim to continue honing my craft and eventually excel at it. My ultimate goal is gradual but steady progress," he said.

"I believe in the importance of the journey, so I'm more grateful for the learning experience than the success of 'Lovely Runner.' I take pride in the hard work I've put in."

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2024/05/398_375277.html

'Lovely Runner' showcases power of buzz over ratings

TV ratings no longer the sole measure of drama's success

By KTimes

With the advent of online video streaming platforms, TV ratings are no longer the sole measure of a show's success, and the series "Lovely Runner" has demonstrated how impactful a strong buzz can be for a show's popularity.

According to Nielsen Korea, a leading global provider of TV data, "Lovely Runner" started with a 3 percent viewership rating for its first episode and reached 4.8 percent by its 14th episode.

Despite its relatively modest ratings, the drama has built a powerful fanbase. The show's overall buzz, along with the popularity of its lead actors, Byeon Woo-seok and Kim Hye-yoon, has propelled it to the top of various popularity charts.

Buzz refers to the widespread interest and excitement generated around a show, often measured by its presence and popularity across news, social media and other platforms.

Initially, "Lovely Runner" was not considered for prime time slots and was not highly anticipated. However, it has now become one of the hottest dramas.

"Lovely Runner" benefited from word-of-mouth, fueled by its availability on streaming platforms. Both the TV broadcast ratings and the cumulative viewing time for Tving's streaming service have increased steadily.

The synergy between tvN and Tving helped the drama captivate its target audience: women in their 20s and 30s, despite the limitations of its genre as a "youth drama" airing on Monday and Tuesday nights.

Popularity extends beyond Korea

tvN conducted a pre-broadcast screening to identify the selling points that appeal to the younger demographic, which were then reflected in the editing and marketing strategy.

Park Sang-hyuk, the head of channel business at tvN, is optimistic about surpassing the 5 percent rating threshold, saying, "We are confident that the strong buzz will translate into higher ratings."

Tving reported a remarkable 94 percent real-time viewing share among all live channels during the same time slot.

Although the drama's ratings have plateaued as it nears its conclusion, "Lovely Runner" remains strong in all four key areas of "buzz": the news, voice of netizens, video and social media.

Its popularity extends beyond Korea, topping the weekly viewing charts on Viu, an Asian regional streaming service, in Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia for the first week of May, from April 29 to May 5.

Byeon and Kim have maintained their positions at the top of the actor buzz rankings for three consecutive weeks.

Park emphasized the importance of demographic ratings from adults aged 20 to 49.

"Content driven by buzz tends to generate even more buzz," Park said.

An analysis of tvN shows that high engagement from the 20 to 49 demographic leads to increased motivation to watch the live broadcast, and the enthusiastic response from this age group has influenced other demographic cohorts, creating the current buzz surrounding "Lovely Runner."

This article from the Hankook Ilbo, sister publication of The Korea Times, was translated by generative AI and edited by The Korea Times.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2024/05/lovely-runner-popup-store-a-huge-success-sells-out-quickly

The tvN Monday-Tuesday drama 'Lovely Runner' has successfully completed a seven-day popup store event in Seoul and a group viewing event for the finale.

'Lovely Runner,' scripted by Lee Si Eun and directed by Yoon Jong Ho and Kim Tae Yeop, produced by CJ ENM Studios and Bon Factory, is a time-slip romance drama. In it, Im Sol (played by Kim Hye Yoon), a devoted fan devastated by the death of the famous artist Ryu Sunjae (played by Byun Woo Seok), travels back to 2008 to save her beloved idol. The series, known for its poignant 15-year romance and mutual salvation narrative, along with the actors' highly synchronized performances, has been popularly dubbed a 'Monday sickness cure' due to its high popularity.

The production team of 'Lovely Runner' announced on the 29th, "In response to the warm love and interest from viewers, we have successfully completed the specially planned popup store and the final episode group viewing event in collaboration with CGV."

On the 28th, a thousand fans nationwide participated in the finale viewing event of 'Lovely Runner,' which showed a high competition rate, marking it as the most attended event of the year. The gender distribution of the bookings showed women made up 87.9%, and the age distribution showed the 20-30 age group accounted for 84.1% of total bookings, proving the drama's popularity among younger audiences once again.

The event was attended by directors Yoon Jong Ho and Kim Tae Yeop, writer Lee Si Eun, and actors Byun Woo Seok, Kim Hye Yoon, Song Geon Hee, Lee Seung Hyub, Moon Si On, Yang Hyuk, Seong Byeong Sook, Jeong Young Ju, Song Ji Ho, and Lee Il Jun, who all expressed their gratitude. Overcome with emotion during the stage greeting, Byun Woo Seok tearfully said, "This theatre represents the staff who worked with us during the filming. I am very grateful for the learning and thank you all for creating Sunjae so wonderfully," showing his appreciation with a 90-degree bow. Kim Hye Yoon also expressed her thanks, "Thanks to everyone, I was able to watch all 16 episodes in one theater," and added, "'Memories do not disappear; they permeate the soul,' a line from the show, and I hope 'Lovely Runner' will be a lasting memory in everyone’s hearts

Additionally, the popup store ran from the 23rd to the 29th at The Hyundai Seoul B2F Iconic Popup Zone. The attendance over the seven days was significantly higher than typical popup stores, with the saying 'early morning open run is a must,' leading to over a thousand queue numbers being issued each morning and early closures due to high demand. The total 17 types of merchandise (MD) sold at the popup store were inspired by the adorable characters of 'Lovely Runner' and actors such as Byun Woo Seok and Kim Hye Yoon. Popular items like the SolSun metal badge, Cheongsangari T-shirts, denim eco-bags, and SolSun couple key rings sold out on the first day. The 'Lovely Runner' popup store plans to continue with sales in Busan and online.

Since its first broadcast on April 8, 'Lovely Runner' has left numerous records, achieving a perfect end. Starting with a 3.1% viewership rating for the first episode, the finale reached an average of 7.2% with a peak at 8.7% in the Seoul metropolitan area, setting a new record high. As of the 26th, it surpassed 850 million digital views, demonstrating unprecedented popularity. It also ranked second in the number of paid subscribers contributed among tvN dramas on Tving since the service began, with a 2100% increase in paid subscribers up to the 15th episode from the first week of release. It also ranked first in weekly broadcast VOD and real-time channel combined viewer UV (unique visitors) for four consecutive weeks, and the combined viewing time for broadcast VOD and real-time channels exceeded 16 billion minutes (27.2 million hours).

Furthermore, according to Good Data Corporation's platform FUNdex, as of the 28th, 'Lovely Runner' was ranked first in TV-OTT drama buzz for four consecutive weeks, with Byun Woo Seok and Kim Hye Yoon leading the TV-OTT actor overall buzz rankings for the same period. The first OST 'Shower' by Eclipse climbed from 305th to 5th in the Melon daily charts, marking yet another significant achievement for the drama.