alyrios:

Answering some of the questions posted above: Sou Jun's character was changed for the drama. He actually appears in the novel quite a bit and he doesn't get hurt either. Same with Jiang Ju, his character was changed for the drama, or rather expanded. It was mentioned he did go on a blind date with Xu Qin, but to my knowledge, Song Yan is unaware of this the whole time, even when Xu Qin finally introduced them at the bar. Xu Qin does not goes down to the wreck in the novel, it seems they added more drama to this. I am also wondering about Song Yan getting the fibrillator treatment, that is not in the book

I agree both 2 is expanded char 

RosemaryCavalcanti:

Eu quero muito ler o romance, alguem sabe onde encontro em portugues?

Really no idea where to find the novel for portugues language ??

alyrios:

Answering some of the questions posted above: Sou Jun's character was changed for the drama. He actually appears in the novel quite a bit and he doesn't get hurt either. Same with Jiang Ju, his character was changed for the drama, or rather expanded. It was mentioned he did go on a blind date with Xu Qin, but to my knowledge, Song Yan is unaware of this the whole time, even when Xu Qin finally introduced them at the bar. Xu Qin does not goes down to the wreck in the novel, it seems they added more drama to this. I am also wondering about Song Yan getting the fibrillator treatment, that is not in the book

Really agree for this 2 expanded char. I still very appreaciated for this two (JY and SJ). They play their expanded char so well. In ep 18 preview, JY "forced" SY to confess his love to XQ is also very cute one (ofc thats something we cant read in novel ) ??

The subtle differences I noticed the drama made in the main leads' personalities which I feel doesn't do their novel characters justice. Like in ep 18 SY admits that he likes XQ out of annoyance and jealousy, almost like lashing out.
In the novel, it took some time for him to decide that he would let go of the past and just free his heart to move forward. This is a very important moment in the novel because when he makes the decision, they both go all in and are absolutely not shy about it. He tells his family, the co-workers that has a crush on him, her brother, directly and unapologetically.

The scene in ep 18 of the drama presents his admission as forced due to jealousy, he also appears hot & cold, maybe even shy, which is completely out of his novel character. As a matter of fact, in the novel, even before their reunion, he proudly announced to his co-workers that he was going to marry her and showed them her photo.

The FL is also doesn't appear withdrawn from humanity and cold-hearted in terms of her job as a doctor and her interactions with her co-workers as in the novel. There, her job is just an art of science, not necessarily a profession to preserve life.
In the drama, she just appears anti-social instead. I'm a little disappointed that part of her personality was one of my favorite areas in her character development

The problem with TV adaptations of novels is that we lose the characters' inner thoughts. 

alyrios:

The problem with TV adaptations of novels is that we lose the characters' inner thoughts. 

Yes... in novel, their char is darker than TV adapt. What we see on tv, is lighter much more

Im almost done with reading the novel and I feel like, when I start watching the show, I'll essentially have to treat them as two different entities. Its very clear, even though I haven't started watching yet, that there are some major changes to the plot. 

Nope:

Im almost done with reading the novel and I feel like, when I start watching the show, I'll essentially have to treat them as two different entities. Its very clear, even though I haven't started watching yet, that there are some major changes to the plot. 

Yup , I liked the novel better.  The changes they have made in the filler episodes change up their character and relationship dynamics quite a lot . Anyway the drama as a separate entity is likeable enough especially as I'm quite happy with the actors. 

schuey7:

Yup , I liked the novel better.  The changes they have made in the filler episodes change up their character and relationship dynamics quite a lot . Anyway the drama as a separate entity is likeable enough especially as I'm quite happy with the actors. 

Since I catch clips on TIKTOK I already know that there is a major gap in time from her 'silent pseudo rejection' before the earthquake. (It seems like the earthquake hasn't happened yet?). But in the book it was like the next chapter. I also suspect they are going to heavily tone down the darker plotlines of the book (her suicidal tendencies and him being being tortured and nearly executed because of her family).  I wish they wouldn't because I like that this book went there. But also, I think we know they are trying to delay them getting together as soon as they did in the book because once they got together in the book, 60% of their story was just them going at it like rabbits pretty much immediately.

Plus it seems like they just changed where he was coming from too. In the book he wasn't initially angry with her over her decision to leave him when they were eighteen, but spent years working toward trying to be someone better for her. He became angry after what happened to him by her family. But even in his anger, no matter what he said to her, he never let anyone talk bad about her; and still he spent all his spare time trying to be someone better for her because even though he was angry, he still only loved and wanted her. He knew when he saw her again, it was only a matter of time before he gave into his feelings.....at least that's how I read him in the books. 

But the clips I've seen so far, make it seem like he is just angry that she didn't choose him over her family when they were teenagers.

No I mean I think otherwise , we saw him writing letters to her and her mother burning them so he probably didnt get mad at that. he is just sad because she cant still have the courage to choose him after so many years. and its the same for the novel , he never lets anyone else talk bad about xuqin . he always says they dont understand her in the drama as well and in todays episode it was mentioned that song yang told the team he was waiting for his first love ever since. 

Am I the only one thinking that the scene in the trailer where XQ is using the fibrillator on SY is the dream she has after they got back together? You remember? She has a nightmare after getting back together with SY and is by herself in his room while he is at the brigade. Thoughts? 

I'm quite sad they did not include Xu Qin simping on Song Yan in uniform. I assume it's the blue one that he wore when he refused to get interviewed and passed the responsibility to Xu Qin. Our girl was OGLING. 

Also, ep 21 of her waking up to a beautiful sunny day lost its meaning. Originally, the hazy weather to sunny and clear skies were metaphors to their relationship after their porridge talk. It was supposed to be a day for Xu Qin where she had already let go of the heavy burden of the past, and finally face Song Yan with a lighter heart. Alas, it now meaningless.

I really love the changes they made in the drama. For me, as long as they don't change the core of main characters then it's fine. 

It's also interesting for me too because dramas that I have watched before likes to put only one out of the two main characters to have trauma, but in this novel, both of them carry a very heavy trauma. 

Which chapters cover their school/teenage story?

Divya:

Which chapters cover their school/teenage story?

Is hard to say because you see mostly flashbacks of their teen years throughout the book. I do know chapter 27 is set in the past entirely.