The Princess' Man

• Network: KBS2
  • Duration: 1 hr. 5 min.
  • Genres: Historical, Romance, Political
  • Tags: Joseon Dynasty
  • Rating: 15+ Restricted (violence & profanity)

• Members: 12,182
Anjaly
Sep 28, 2017
Annyong..
This is my first review ..
This drama is worth all the time u invest in the . A deep romance suspense action thriller seguk. i would recommend it to any one who love these themes.
The acting and music was really good. A strong female character, who is bold and flexible at the same time was really impressive for me...
Only criticism I can give is that I felt it little dragged.. a little only (the story wise)..  Also when it came to the  ending u might feel a little disappointed . But trying to stand in the writers shoes I think he wrote the ending much in the sense  of reality.
I really enjoyed it.

HermanFassett
May 3, 2017
Be prepared to hold onto your horses and definitely don't close your eyes! Though this is a short Sageuk coming in at a measly 24 episodes (IKR!), it certainly has all the feels and annoyances and amazingness that makes up a typical Sageuk.

Story (9.0):
I'm literally writing this as the last episode is finishing and I'm watching this last scene and getting goosebumps and shivers; what an amazing way to close the drama! I've heard some negative comments about this ending, but honestly it was the best way it could have ended in my opinion. And it's not even your typical Sageuk ending where everyone both good and bad beside the main character seems to die (only kind of joking); instead we see a beautiful finale that ties in with the first antics of our main couple and leaves you to wonder why all those other dramas focus on closure by successful revenge and conquering.
But don't get me wrong: the whole last half of this drama is mostly about trying to get revenge, and there are PLENTY of sorrowful and tearjerking scenes especially leading on from the 1/4 mark. If the beginning of the drama didn't clue you in, I don't know what would. This is a Romeo and Juliet style story (don't worry, it doesn't end quite the same).
There were a number of romantic couples in this drama, and while Se Ryeong and Seung Yu's was very fun to watch, especially in the very beginning and as the story came to a close, I found the love story between the Princess Kyung Hye and Jung Jong to be just as enticing and especially around the half way mark, even more fun to watch. Honestly, the Princess Kyung Hye was more interesting at times than our main character Se Ryeung (I guess I could call her Princess as well), and I loved seeing Kyung Hye's relationship both with her cousin Se Ryeung and her husband Jong morph and change over the course of the story.
I've painted this story in a highly positive light so far, but there were some parts I found excruciatingly aggravating. However, as I go through and enumerate, you'll probably see that it isn't isolated to only this Sageuk.
First off, most of my frustration from this story happened from the 1/4 mark the 1/2 way mark. Seriously, I watched the first 6-7 episodes in great joy, then draaaggged through those next 6-7 and then flew through to the end.
BEGIN RANT:
My problem with these episodes were these stupid choices and mistakes and misunderstandings and mishaps and all this gooblety gook drama that I really didn't want to see that I realize needed to happen for the rest of the drama and I'll admit made Se Ryeung's later actions so cheerworthy but in reality made me really want to skip scenes and indeed I found myself reading recaps to find the scenes I wanted to watch so I could get to a place I really wanted to see and I've lost sight of where I was going with this rant, but seriously, WHY! AGH!
END RANT.
Heh, the last half was worth all the drama though, and yes the drama was the basis of the whole story, but still, meh, Se Ryung was a bit annoying in these portions.

Acting/Cast (9.5):
Ahhh! So many crying scenes! I think most of the time Princess Kyung Hye was on the screen, she was crying!
But wow, Princess Kyung Hye blew me away, especially in the scene where she and Jong are tearfully looking at each-other... Actually, that whole episode was amazing on her part. Whenever her chin wobbles came into play... Dagger to the heart! ;(
The rest of the cast was mostly very good, though I found Song Jong Ho's (Myeon's) acting to be a bit over the top at times. Especially... nvm that's a spoiler.
There was also one scene that stuck in my head where there was an army of soldiers cheering that was sooo fake.
Beyond that, our main characters definitely didn't disappoint, and all the conniving and scheming and backstabbing politicians and their incompetent rivals were pretty well cast; I thought Se Ryung's father was very well cast especially whenever his character had semi-redeeming (who are you kidding, he can't be completely redeemed) moments like the last part of the finale.
The main couple was well cast and were very good together, but they definitely don't top my favorite couples list. Maybe 5th place. It's not totally their fault though because I've got some really strong couples on my list. Props to Woon and his Orabeoni girl love...
Final person I really need to commend would be the young King Dan-jong played by Noh Tae Yeob. Those sorrowful eyes of his can really strike the heart and helps his excellent portrayal of a young desperate king who feels trapped and useless.
Oh but wait, I can't forget Seung Yu's niece A Gang! She's the cutest thing ever... Loved the scene of her painting on Suk Joo's face! Haha.

Music (9.0):
The music was very good and also very typical of the Sageuk's I've scene with the mix of full orchestral and then a few male sung ballads and maybe some female singing throw in... I times I felt the main theme was played waaay tooo muuuch, but there was also this one haunting orchestral song with female bg vocals that gave me the chills. A good soundtrack, but not on my list of downloads.

Rewatch Value (8.0):
I will most definitely NOT be rewatching episodes 8-13 unless forced to watch the whole thing with a sibling or friend and if you don't understand why, go read my rant up in the story section. But the first 5-6 episodes, where our character relationships are being established were a joy to watch and will probably be on the top of my rewatch list. The last half of the drama was completed by yours truly in a blink (a day or two okay, give me three) and were very well done, but it is at times tearjerking enough that I don't think I'll be able to rewatch it as much as I would that first quarter of the drama.

Overall ( 9.0):
I've had this on my watchlist for ages and now that I've finally got around to finishing it, I can honestly say it wasn't a waste of time and I fully enjoyed myself. What a powerful love story!
For anyone who's watched the first few episodes, I also hope you caught my reference in the very first sentence of the review. Shame on you if you didn't.
If you are not a fan of Sageuks, I don't know how well this will resonate with you, but I've got such dramas as Empress Ki under my belt so this was a fairly easy and very pleasing undertaking for me.
P.S. I don't want to go through and fix my name spelling inconsistencies so figure it out yourselves.
P.P.S. I don't want to discourage anyone from watching this, so this is post scriptum, but I do feel like I'm being optimistic with this drama mainly because I didn't love it as much as I thought I would after reading some really good reviews of it and it didn't leave me half as a mess or in love as some other dramas (Empress Ki, Queen In Hyun's Man, etc). But it still deserves the 9 I guess. Maybe 8.875...
P.P.P.S. Is this my longest review yet? Maybe. It's like over 1200, almost 1300 words long. Here's to watching dramas when I should be writing essays and then going and writing drama reviews that are longer than my essay needs to be!

BaekInHa
Mar 18, 2017
I definitely have a love/hate relationship with The Princess' Man. The beginning of this got me so hooked that I managed to finish the entire thing within 3 days.

First half of the drama was great. rest is still intriguing yet also kinda draggy. I thoroughly enjoyed the first couple episodes, the last quarter, not too much. Ended up skipping a few bits of the last episodes.

Unpopular opinion: seryeong at times is actually one of the worst female leads ever. She was annoying, insufferable, at many times, especially the second half. Her love for seungyu sometimes didnt feel real at all, enough to the point where I was questioning why the heck she was willing to sacrifice everything for him. I found the beginning of their relationship cute though, when they had no cares about politics, and the whole thing was less melodramatic. I might have found it romantic or sweet if the relationship between the two of them was better executed, but unfortunately just ended up feeling pissed off whenever she acted out. I might feel this way probably because of the part of me that likes rooting for villains...

In my opinion, Prince Suyang's character was very well developed...Despite all the horrible things he did in order to gain power, I never truly hated his character. His story was well crafted and allowed for me to understand why he did the things he did, and his love for his kids really showed...which might be part of the reason I rooted for him.

The ending seemed rushed, especially since the whole conflict between the pro&antagonist was concluded in like 10 minutes. It also didn't explain what happened to the characters (other than the main) afterwards, which was pretty unsatisfying.

Despite how much I disliked some of this drama.... I must admit that everytime I tried to drop it, I would suffer from The princess' man withdrawal syndrome and end up crawling back to finish it lol.

The OST is great, one of the best in a drama for me.The number of flashbacks this drama had was kinda annoying for me.

Overall, decent plot, nice characters, good OST, good acting, rewatch value is low to medium because of the amount of sad scenes...I would probably only rewatch several scenes I enjoyed between the two main leads at the beginning.

ps. watch for Shin myeon aka the best & most dynamic character in the whole show.

xkarebear
Sep 4, 2016
ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL.
You see all these 10 ratings, and they're there for a reason. The Princess' Man is a masterpiece, manipulating my emotions like the worst case of PMS; one moment, I'm happy; one moment, I'm sad; one moment, I'm angry; one moment, I'm sad again. Yes, the predominant feeling must be sadness, as you kinda have to be a masochist to enjoy this drama. Anyway, if you enjoy a good cry, grab a box of tissues and read on!

STORY
The story is really complex, and the summary doesn't do it justice. The intricacies of the plot are more fine-toothed comb than blunt club, and the same applies to the characters; they feel real and multifaceted, demonstrating the screenwriters' and directors' vast experience with creating beautiful stories and convincing character developments. Additionally, during the entirety of the drama, scenes flow and nothing is forced. Useless characters are (thankfully) MIA. There is no filler, which makes this drama one which you cannot watch in place of a light-hearted rom-com. The Princess' Man requires your utmost concentration, and you'll be rewarded with a splendidly moving story because of it.

ACTORS
They could not have picked a better cast, and I was thoroughly impressed with the caliber of the actors/actresses who took part in this show. It wasn't just the main characters; the side-characters were so expertly portrayed that there were moments during which I felt that they weren't side-characters at all. There were moments in which I felt that they were the main characters, like The Princess' Man was their story to tell.
TLDR, imagine a dozen all-star/main-cast stars getting together with (an) amazing director(s), with a gorgeous script. The result - The Princess' Man, which I strongly feel is one of the strongest dramas to date.

MUSIC
Amazing, heart-wrenching, Park Wan Kyu - One Day of Love, 'Nuff said.

REWATCH VALUE
As much as I'd like to put 10 here, I can't. In actuality, 8.5 is a stretch for me, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Princess' Man is one of those dramas that is so freaking good that I'm terrified to watch it again. It's like my relationship with sushi; if I have too much of it, I'll get sick of it, and then for a while, I'll forget I love sushi. But I don't want to ever fall out of love with The Princess' Man. I don't want to forget how I felt the first time I watched this drama because it truly deserves all the accolades and recognition that it got.
TLDR my 8.5 rewatch value is only because I'm me. This is in no way representative of the actual amazingness (yes, I created that word) of this drama.

CONCLUSION
Pretty much, y'all should watch it cause it's fantastic. Also, everyone deserves a great time, and this drama deserves more hype, even though it's 2016 and 5 years have passed, because amazing things will stay amazing, and yeah.

WARNING LABEL
Watch at your own risk. Watching may result in a year-long break from drama-land because nothing will compete. And yes, this happened to me.

FURTHER NOTE:
I am, by no means, a drama addict. I don't follow kpop, or korean make-up, or korean actors. I usually just watch these things when I'm really bored, so I've never posted on this site until today. However, this first and only review, so that should demonstrate to all you doubtful folks that this drama is amazing. So please, watch it, and share it with friends! Thanks!

Docta
Aug 24, 2016
As I though I have seen most of the popular dramas out there and didn't know what to watch anymore, I came across this amazing, intense and beautiful drama, a real gem in the kdrama world. One of those which never got you bored, irritated or frustrated, one of those which make you want to watch episode over episode without pause till the end, and then regret finishing it so fast. (I finished it in just two days)

Story
Beautifully written, excellent plot, intense to the point that your heart hurts, and you cry and feel relief with the everyday of the characters. Love, family, friendship, treason, politics, traditions... as many say the korean version of Romeo and Juliet.

Acting/Cast
it's uncommon, a weird exception, but for me this was one of the few dramas in which every single character is play absolutely perfect. From the main to the supporting roles - the main couple, the princess Kyung Hye, Shin Myun, Jo Suk Joo, and the rest.
Moon Chae Won was incredible in this role, her character was strong, determine, intense, reckless and graceful, growing up in every single episode, gaining confidence as she tried to live with her name and her own decisions.
Kim Seung Yoo was no less, he showed so many faces along the series. His character was complex, enchanting, confident, full of despair and sadness, due to the different hardships that life has put on his way. Both of them, had a great chemistry. Their emotions truly surpassed the screen, reaching everyone.

Music
The OST was absolutely unique and original for a drama.
My congrats to the one who made the selection.

Rewatch Value
Should you rewatch this? Of course, I'll surely rewatch this someday.

Don't hesitate to give this drama a chance, you'll fall in love with the story, the characters, the setting and the music!!

moonziyan
Jun 2, 2016
I don't know how to say my disappointment with this drama without spoiling it, but let me at least try.

This drama has a VERY GOOD PLOT, except for the last 10 minutes of it.
The actors were BRILLIANT. How can their stare convey so many emotions?
The music was one of the greatest I have ever heard in a kdrama. It highlights the viewers emotion every time it plays.
But the rewatch value? I am sorry for the fans of this drama but I will never watch this again.

WHY?

It is not because all of the heartbreaks, tears, and frustration I invest in this drama while watching it. I feel the story. I feel every sobs and anguish that the male lead felt. I laugh and giggle at every good moments. I scream and pull my hair every time someone I like in the drama dies. I feel all of these. And that is why this is a good drama. But maybe that is also the reason why I became disappointed in it. I feel too much of all the emotions that the last 10 minutes of the drama didn't make sense to me.

I don't hate how it ended. But it wasn't the way I want it to be. It doesn't have to be bloody. I just want to see some repentance and justice for those who lost their lives.

LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT: Don't fall in love with Jeong Jong..... scratch that.... don't fall in love with any of the characters. ......... you're welcome <3

Totoro-san
May 12, 2016
I just want to add my two cents in here...this was certainly one of the best drama ever made and I watched this for a second time already.. I love the technicality of editing skills (especially on ending scenes), of the way the director emphasized the difference of life of royalties, gisaeng, as well as slaves.
The main point in this drama was revenge and it was brutally portrayed all throughout the series..from a simple petty misunderstandings to a bloody killing spree. All the artists in this drama were top class! they showed so much talents that I almost forgot this was only a pigment of fiction from a certain facts about King Suyang and General Kim Jongseo.

***FROM HERE ON: MILD SPOILERS CAN BE READ***
There's only one thing that's bugging on my mind though..the storyline was far-off from perfect for it had similarities between the two household rivals: Montague and Capulets. A tragic story in which two star-cross'd lovers were caught between crossfire of their own families. Likewise, the two protagonists of these series resembles them with only the throne as the sole motive of the riffraff of the two families: one ambitiously covet the throne, the other wants to uphold the throne to the rightful owner. From a marriage proposal to the death of the reigning King, all hell breaks loose. It was carefully written BUT the character of Shin Myun was the only thing I can't stand, not because he had no backbone to begin with but due to his lack of background.

Why did he hate Seung Yoo so much?
Did he really loved Se Ryung? OR he just loved her because she was her consort-to-be due to circumstances?
Was he really ambitious and selfish to begin with?

I emphatized with his loss, but his loyalty was so questionable that it became false to me. What really drove him mad? what'll be his gain after this war? Pardon me for ranting but I really want his character to be developed, for the viewers to see his side on why he allowed such heinous acts on his brethren.

All in all, this was a good drama to invests with. 24 episode was a good number to summarise and pack-up all the things that needed to be ended.

NAT
Apr 24, 2016
Thrilling, moving and wonderfully executed. It's everything i wanted and more.

The Princess' Man parallels that of Romeo and Juliet, so naturally i expected the series to be quite melodramatic and depressing. There are many instances of tragedy such as death, betrayal and obviously the engaging love story of the star-crossed pair, but fortunately the tone and mood has just the right amount of angst, humour and romance. The romantic element is what really MAKES the drama. The leads simply staring at each other will keep your heart pounding. It's definitely what keeps me continually intrigued and wanting more (aside from the revenge factor) because it's so INTENSE and so! many! plot! twists! I just love them so much.

The only reason why the story isn't a 10/10 because it got a LITTLE draggy and the ending kind of felt rushed. Other than that, it's perfect.

The rewatch value is also up there. I wouldn't rewatch the political parts, but i could if i had the time and energy.

WhiteLilly
Feb 12, 2016
This drama was good and in every aspect solid. But it was not brilliant.

You have a nice story arch and character development. Especially the hero undergoes a believable transformation. There is a lot of tragedy in this drama, but the ending was surprising - in a good way.

Whilst it all starts off as a Romeo and Juliet scenario, it soon changes to a story of revenge. The romantic aspect stays throughout, but it never departs from its tragic circumstances.

Although I did like this drama, it did not blow me away, though. And these are the reasons:

1) The script had some flaws. If you watch carefully, you will recognize every 3 episodes or so that someone did not behave logically or the time-setting wouldn't fit, so the plot could be bent the right way.
2) More accurately you can observe this in the actions of the heroine, especially in the first 10 episodes, when she just does not do the logical thing to do (I cannot tell you what without spoilers), although it does not fit her level of intelligence.
3) This drama lacks some comic relief - it has NONE. It is very unusual, even for sobber historic dramas, to not have at least one funny character to counterbalance the heavy. It wouldn't have to be something goofy, because that wouldn't fit the general mood, but at least some joke here or there. Unusual. I, for one, missed that a lot.
4) For a historical drama, set around the powerstruggle at court, there is close to none, scratch that, there is NONE strategic plot. Seriously, the scheming of the villains and the good guys is basically killing each other off. One could argue, that it is just not the emphasize of this drama, but really, it should be part of it, it is the reason for the story and keeps happening all the way till the end.
5) So yeah - in the end, it is somehow about the suffering and death of lots of people who fall victim to a bad and cruel ruler, and the suffering of two lovers, especially because one is the daughter of the villain. But there is hardly more.

Gosh. I am quite sure, that I have never smiled LESS whilst watching a drama. HOWEVER, it did not make me sad, at the same time. I did not cry and the ending was maybe the long sought counterbalance for all the tragedies happening.

So why did I give this an 8? Because it is still a very well directed and detailed drama, and the lovers' fate keeps you watching, although it is not the usual kind of romance you are used to. In many ways it is more realistic than any other historical drama, because it is nowhere over the top and portrays the bitterness of life in a believable way.

You should watch it, if you like dramas that are realistic and portray the endurance of people as they struggle, fall and get up. It is a historical setting, but it does not employ any historical events, thus it is not necessary something for lovers of historical dramas by itself.

You should not watch it, if you want a well-rounded drama, with either humor, sweetness or a strategic plot. You won't find them here.

Chelsey
Jan 25, 2016
This was an epic historical drama, the story was amazing and the actors were amazing yet I feel a bit let down.

The story was very long winded and very emotional, I found myself crying quite a bit in this drama, omg the feels. However the end, even though happy it was also tragic and I felt that all that suspense, all that drama led to nothing. If the writers wanted an ending like that they could have made it that happy ending a long time ago except without all the angst and blood.

I loved the main couple even as ill fated as they were, but they changed so much character wise, with all the pain they had to deal with throughout the story. I couldn't really reconcile them with the happy carefree couple they were before.

The OST was amazing, I'll definitely listen to it again.

This is a great drama with great actors and a great story, however, it is full of pain and angst and a part of the plot feels like it just gets dropped at the very end. This is a classic must watch for any kdrama fan.

Kerry
Jan 18, 2016
I loved watching this drama however i felt I had more unanswered questions than answers at the end. I wouldn't say I loved the ending but I felt like I missed something. I think the soldiers guarding the nobles etc were bad. If you are guarding such an important figure you should be able to fight. YOu should be the best of the best. It was like having a bunch of florist fighting as guards, they could barely defend themselves. They lacked the skills needed to protect someone important. Therefore I was yelling at the screen half the time. I think it would have been great to be shorter but I guess you need all those episodes for the build up of hatred and frustration with certain characters and situations. The story was great, filled with everything to get you glued to your seat to watch. Hatred, jealousy, love, misunderstandings, lies, a big bag of betrayal, lust, envy, cuteness fighting etc etc. good old fashion evil and mix in a Romeo and Juliet kinda love. I thought the characters were fantastic and you may shed tears a few times but you will yell at the screen. My problems with the drama was the unanswered stuff at the end and the big WTH, when did that happen and where is everyone else? the KinG, I was kinda speechless. Does greed really pay off. I imagine stuff like this does happen in history no matter the country but It was kinda sad also. Does it benefit you to be king when most want your head on a platter and do they really allow you to rule when so many strings are pulling you at once if you manage to stay alive. seems like you are better off being a common folk. Like i said I loved watching this drama however I am conflicted on the ending. NOT that it was horrible but I would have liked a more polished ending. Acting was great from everyone, main and supporting alike.

JimmyChooLove
Sep 17, 2015
What an incredibly moving and well executed show. With a lot of asian period pieces you run into issues of over complicated stories and dull moments, but I found that to not be the case at all for The Princess's Man. The story was engaging and the romance endearing throughout.

Highlights:
- The relationships between characters. The main leads had amazing chemistry, but I would say that the epic bromances were sometimes even more engaging and moving. The secondary romance was incredibly moving and also very well done.
- Story. In too many dramas main characters are kept apart or tension is created for stupid reasons. This was probably the first drama I've seen in a long time where most of the secrecy, revenge, and anger are all rooted in pretty valid logic.
- A Kang played by little Yoo Bin. She might be the cutest child in the entire world.

Some low points:
- Song Jong Ho. I really liked him in Reply 1997 but he just did not do it for me as Myun. I don't believe he had enough range to play the arguably most tormented character in the show. Based on his actions, you're actually supposed to feel a lot of sympathy for his position, but he just seemed to be operating robotically throughout.
- Melodrama amped up to 10 at the end. As the stakes got increasingly raised throughout the show, the amount of tears from our beloved characters similarly experienced exponential increases. I understand the reason for the tears, but towards the end every interaction seemed to be weepy, sobby, and angsty. Not a huge gripe but I would have preferred a few more call backs from the characters to the good old times, when life for them wasn't such a bloody, miserable, hot mess.

In summary, this was probably my favorite show so far in the saeguk genre due to it's strong story and performances. I am looking forward to rewatching it again in the near future!