Anyone here who used to be avid anime fan but doesn't like it much anymore? Either because anime changed or because you changed?

I found myself watching more and more drama in recent years, as I started finding anime less and less enjoyable. I've been told a combination of things such as:

- getting too old for anime - I was watching mature anime at a young age and still enjoyed "childish" anime when I got older

- nostalgia - yes, but I think this is overvalued

- too narrow-minded, only enjoys anime of my generation/that I grew up with - my "golden age" goes from 1980s-2010, that's a lot of different generations/styles of anime

All things considered, I can't help but feel there is something missing from anime nowadays, something that can't be easily described. Does anyone else feel this way?

* I'm aware I won't get many replies due to the very nature of the question, anime fans who have stopped watching it would not be here in the first place.

Completely opposite in my case. I have been watching anime from when I was 8 and now I am 16. I think I am loving anime more and more with the passing days. I have been also writing anime streaming sites related articles on my blog mmxnewscaster.com and I am loving this new experience as well. 

Ah yeah I can say the same as well,  being an avid fan for 6 years even though I'm still in my teens. I feel like the anime produced in the past 2 or so years have gone really down in production value (animation, graphics, storylines). It's just not as interesting as it used to be, and I'm slowly escaping to manga and dramas. It's a shame but new anime series seem to have lost their shine.. seems a lot more dull and shallow.

As an avid fan of anime in my childhood and teens, and now into my adulthood, i can honestly refer to my experience that liking anime comes in phases.

As a child and teen, there was nothing more interesting than anime. I loved everything about it. From stories, the different genres, the quirky characters, the graphics and etc. I cant seem to move on from animes and manga, i went to phases of trying to learn drawing anime even though i was terrible at it.  But somehow there came a time in my college days that i outgrew anime in which case i delved heavily into dramas like @lee. I went years and years of hiatus on anime from college days to young adult life. It felt too childish for me and also there wasnt anything interesting in storylines or graphics. Became a very big drama addict then. But now in my mid 20's, i am slowly getting back into animes. And man i am surprised at how much i missed and how much i enjoy this for form of entertainment. Though i also have my drama loves.

I think we go through different experiences (experiencing love, heartbreak and other emotion) and changes (being a carefree to being awkward and selfconcious and then having more self confidence) nd phases (being a child, to a teenager to an adult) thus our taste change through it all. 

MMX News Caster:

Completely opposite in my case. I have been watching anime from when I was 8 and now I am 16. I think I am loving anime more and more with the passing days. I have been also writing anime streaming sites related articles on my blog mmxnewscaster.com and I am loving this new experience as well. 

That's good to hear, do you think this is because you prefer newer anime more or is it simply a case of discovering more anime in general (including old)?

Not at all. Been watching anime for a good 15 years now and I recently got hooked on Attack on Titan [Yes, I may be several years late]. I think the key reason that I haven't gotten burnt out is simply because I watch only a select few each year. 

That's totally the case for me. I used to watch at least one different anime everyday and now I haven't watched one in months. I still read manga though, but anime is hard for me. Like  you said, its like something is missing in anime nowadays. 

The same is happening to me, I haven't watched anime in months! And I've watched around 260 during the last 10 years. I've realized that I can't stand at all BL, harem of any sort, big boobs fandom, fluffy/cute/dumb ones etc.

The last summer season was so poor that I haven't felt like picking up any since then, I'm not even interested in finding out new titles. I hope that'll change.

Watching anime depends on my mood. Sometimes I can go months without any anime and other times I can't last a week without anime. 

Ceki:
I've realized that I can't stand at all BL, harem of any sort, big boobs fandom,

I can't either, especially any ecchi genres. There has been a large influx of those types of anime over the years. 

lee:

Ah yeah I can say the same as well,  being an avid fan for 6 years even though I'm still in my teens. I feel like the anime produced in the past 2 or so years have gone really down in production value (animation, graphics, storylines). It's just not as interesting as it used to be, and I'm slowly escaping to manga and dramas. It's a shame but new anime series seem to have lost their shine.. seems a lot more dull and shallow.

So even teens notice something off about anime recently, one would think the younger generation would love the newer anime since that is sortof the target audience/demographic.

Unfortunately, for me it started like 6-7 years, yes, that includes even anime such as Attack on Titan, the infamous SAO, Lie in April, I feel like anime had gone downhill ever since Guilty Crown, which to me was sortof a signal for bad things to come. Hard to explain, there still a lot of cool anime nowadays but none of them are emotionally impactful, even the ones that try to be.

For me I am currently only watching 1 anime"boruto" becuase it is generational, an I am one of the few people that enjoyed the fillers in shippuden--not 5 seasons of fillers, but a few here and there didn't hurt.  I get emotional about this because I have invested in the characters.  

The last "new" anime I watched was KADO: the right answer and it fell flat for me.

After that I rewatched a Inuyasha OVA and felt better.

I did like Nanbaka though and am waiting to see if season 2 comes out and the the characters of Trickster were starting to grow on me by the end.  

I did like SAO but Log Horizon did it better. and before that there was .hack 

I think  SAO  it's great  it's a good anime  you can watch movies and tvshow or anime  HD free at my site http://moviesonline.ac/watch/OGgjWYxR-sword-art-online-the-movie-ordinal-scale.html

hey, I personally prefer anime apps over sites. For some obvious reasons it allows us to watch our favourite anime anytime anywhere. 

I watch on cunchyroll  beacuse i watch them subbed, and funimation if crunchy doesnt carry it, Netflix has been fail in the anime department.  I have all three apps VRV just pissed me off.

still reading the seven deadly sins Manga on crunchyroll manga app. I think I am going to finish food wars at some point....

I feel exactly the same! Barely watched any anime from the last two seasons, only keeping up with One Piece and Boruto,

I used to watch 15-20 anime a season, now i only watch about 3-5, I actually think the quality of the anime coming out lately has lowered a lot, very few actually catch my eye, I've turned my attention to dramas for now...