https://cdramabase.com/2017/11/22/crowdfunding-help-getting-more-cdramas-subbed/

I just saw this and find the idea pretty interesting. Especially since I want to watch some dramas on that list. I think I will support it but I wonder if this can work. To pay subbers they will need a lot of money. Will the donations be enough? What do you think?

not interested /not participating / not discussing the subject
if I wanted to discuss it I'd have to write a comprehensive essay analyzing all aspects of the complex problem adding to it a lot of personal opinions on various points and I don't feel like doing it...

It seems like a huge risk to take considering how long the average Chinese drama is. I appreciate anyone willing to donate and try it but for a longer made-for-TV drama it could end up with the subtitler(s) giving up. But if it's successful - who gets paid what if multiple people are involved? 

Perhaps a way to compromise might be crowdfunding on a per episode basis. So pick a show. Set a price per episode (depending on the length), one person works it. That way it's not like "here's a few hundred dollars to subtitle" and some people put in more or less work or they give up partway through

I think I would also worry about youtube takedowns so having an .srt file (or other subtitle file) might be a good idea. So if there ever is a takedown - you still have the subtitles and can download the video from elsewhere and match the .srt file timing with the video timing.

There are a lot of other potential issues than this but it is what comes to mind for now. I appreciate the effort and if they can come up with something concrete for one of the shows on the list that I like - I might throw in a few $. I've lost money before on other things so even if things go wrong, it's not that big a deal to me personally.

i think thats kinda silly. how much money can u possibly crowdfund and be assured of which drama u want to watch? 

i tink its a different scenario if its a group of subbers and u are donating to them to watch their subs. but of course, when that happens there are usually no other subbers for the same drama and the drama is thus no longer avaialble to the nonpaying public.

the best is still subbers like the batsu game. where htey release for free but accept donations. 

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
 MadiHawkins:

if I wanted to discuss it I'd have to write a comprehensive essay analyzing all aspects of the complex problem adding to it a lot of personal opinions on various points and I don't feel like doing it...

nobody forced you to do it though so idk why you bothered with this unhelpful reply. 

Yuanwei, check and think over things before being offensive to me...

It was informative from my side: as you can see (or probably not judging by your words) I watch only Chinese/Taiwanese movies/dramas and I'm interested in subbing projects, so I only sent a message that I'm not interested in the crowdfunding project, because Lara asked, so I guess, she wonders how many people will join it.

I also mentioned I won't describe reasons because it would be a waste of my time if I'm not participating and it is not my intention to discourage other people from participating if they want.

You preferred to see it other way but I hope it's only you.

And speaking of "unhelpful reply": if you are a moderator here, look above, it wasn't me who spammed the thread.

I think thats overly sensitive. People are welcome to post whatever they want whether they agree or disagree. Never a need to take it personally. 

MadiHawkins:

I also feel like you shouldn't have said it like that... I mean if you say '...not discussing the subject.' just end it there... no need to go on and say all that.