Okay so as I was typing a comment in response to another user, I thought of something, and I want to know what you guys think/if you think it's possible.

So it's a popular theory that Woo Jin is the 2037 cop Kim Joon Hyuk. The way they both absentmindedly played with the Rubik's Cube, the fact that he has no record before 2027, the words "find your brother(s)", the memories of Woo Jin. all point to that.

Rolling with this theory, I think Woo Jin is the one who invented the chip. He said to that professor that the best cure for PTSD hasn't been invented yet, and that 'best cure' is to make people completely forget their painful memories. Which is exactly what we're seeing with Min Ji. This storyline is called "BETA Project" which means we'll be seeing the creation/testing of some product/invention - most likely, the chip.

Towards the end of episode 2, we get that obligatory kdrama shower scene with Kim Joon Hyuk. I believe it was when he was looking in the mirror that he brushes his hair aside, and we see a scar behind his ear. In the same area that the chip is placed in all the inhabitants of Smart Earth. But the whole deal was that he would get into Smart Earth without the chip, so what is that scar? 

Google defines 'beta test' as "a trial of machinery, software, or other products, in the final stages of its development, carried out by a party unconnected with its development." So basically they test a product on a sample of its intended audience. This may make you think that Woo Jin might just become a tester, but I think his words earlier and his application for the job in the lab mean that he'll at least be on the developing team. 

But if he created the chip, why would he need to sneak a chip out of Smart Earth for testing? Why would he need to hack into it if he invented it?

My theory is that Woo Jin tested the chip, or at least a prototype of the chip since this is called BETA Project, on himself. Maybe throughout the drama we'll see a series of traumatic events happen that hurt him so much they drive him to create the chip to erase those memories
. And since creating the chip was tied to those memories, he forgot that he created it? This makes sense when you think about the bathroom scene and he has those flashes of memories of Woo Jin. Just like how Min Ji's memories of being kidnapped were returning to her, it appears that those traumatic memories of 2017 are returning to him.

Maybe he invented it with a pure goal of curing PTSD, but another developer or scientist or whatever took the prototype and twisted it to create the chip for Smart Earth. And that's why he needs to get his hands on a Smart Earth chip, because it's different from the prototype he created.

Smart Earth has existed for 5000 days, that's about 13 years. So around 2024 was the creation of Smart Earth, and Kim Joon Hyuk's records start at 2027. Just an added thought.

Sorry for the essay. This is probably just a crack theory, but I feel that these details were included by the writer/director for a reason and that they must be important. Let me know what you think!
No need to be sorry for the essay, I love it! :D

I agree, when I finished watching Ep 1 and learning about the chips, it made me realize that BETA Project most likely stood for the testing of those chips and since Woojin is the main character of Part 1, then it made me wonder what is his association in the project and it Ep 2, it introduces the possibility that the idea of the chip actually came from him and the possibility that the chip was also tested on him.

Ep 2 pretty much established that Woojin is Joonhyuk (unless it's some very elaborate red herring) - with the rubik's cube, his friendly relationship with Dongsoo and pinching his eyebrows, the way he gives Dongsoo deadlines, Joonhyuk's flashback... I do wonder if the return of Joonhyuk's memories was triggered by going to the Smart Earth or has it always been on-going. The symptoms were indeed similar to Kim Minji's. His flashback is kinda tricky though because it showed both Bumgyun and Woojin's flashbacks based on camera POV.
DUDE! I am half way trough 2nd ep and needed to stop coz it just came to my mind and I was like 'I HAVE A THEORY!' and it's basically the same you have. I think the traumatic thing will probably have to do with his brother. We know they were suppose to 'disappear' (both of them) so what IF Bum Gyun disappeared 1st and Woo Jin could not take it so he decided to try his chip on himself. Since it was just prototype things gone wrong and he lost his memories. He probably only had the photo of him, Bum Gyun and Jung Yeon that could lead him to his own identity and he assumed they were his brothers. And this will be a whole story of inventor saving humanity from his own invention type of stuff. 
@Kate actually the teasers already showed Jingoo looking for his twin brother... so yes, you're right. :D I think Bumgyun will be the first to go missing too. 
@hongberg I didn't even got to finish 2nd ep yet. I still need to watch 2nd part. Honestly this could be such an awesome plot twist but they revealed it from the beginning ahahaha they lost their chance with this one 
@hongberg lol thanks! That's a good question, what triggered the return of his memories.. And true, you always have to take camera POV into account.

@Kate and omg I didn't think about the possibility of losing all of his memories, I was just thinking he forgot the year 2017, but that's a very good point! I'm not sure if you saw the rest of episode 2 yet, but there's a scene that shows Woo Jin searching for Bum Gyun.

Yeah, imagine if they only dropped the smallest of hints that Woo Jin was Joon Hyuk, like no mention about "go find your family" or anything. That would have been a shocking twist.

But dang I still have too many questions, I need it to be Monday lol.
DID YALL SEE EPISODE THREE

I'm second guessing everything I said earlier omg. Kate was right, he has no memories. But how did he lose all of them? Why are they all having the same symptoms of their memories coming back? And why does Ho Soo act like he has the bug in him?

Are the chip and the bug one in the same? Is the bug the product being tested in BETA Project? Is the bug a prototype of the 2037 chip? Did it get loose or something? Is someone exploiting the students to illegally test their product?

We know this bug, on top of the pain and nosebleeds, causes abnormal behavior, but we don't yet know the internal specifics of that behavior. And we don't even know what the purposes of the bug is, just that it is causing people to kill themselves. 

Does this make Jung Yeon Bluebird? or are the "aliens" a part of an organization called Bluebird. Bluebird is what's confusing me the most now. Does this make Bluebird the inventor of the chip?

The timeline no longer fits with the theory that he implanted the chip into himself to make him forget the events of 2017. The hospital scene where the cop is showing Joon Hyuk that video, which looks like the memory cube thing from earlier which makes this even more sketchy, happened ten years before in 2027. So he would have had his memories as Woo Jin up until 2027 when he somehow lost them, created a new identity, and that's why there's no record of him before 2027.

I'm starting to suspect that the answer lies with that professor who smashed a cigarette. I know I've seen him before, I think as a villain, but I've seen him in many dramas. I don't think they would have cast someone so recognizable if the role wasn't significant. 

Jesus, when this drama is over and we have all of the answers I'm going to have to rewatch everything in order to make sense of it.
Hi guys!!! I've seen Ep 3 raw but I'm yet to watch it subs as I'm at work atm... BUT DAMN... This show just keeps getting my energy up every episode. My thoughts are still scattered, which I suppose will always be the case when it comes to this show.. so just whatever.. ahahaha

• So the Beta Project seems to be the bug that has the memory chip in and whoever's doing this beta testing is using the students as experiments. 
  • Oh good idea.. Bluebird could be an organization.
  • The ending for both Parts 1 and 2... In the teaser, it seems like Woojin is still trusting Jungyeon despite finding out she has a connection to Bluebird. But omggg Bumgyun TT_TT Somebody save that precious.. when he was weakly calling out Woojin's name :(
  • Gong Seungyeon..
  • So who is her dad? Why does he seem so strict? First thought that came to mind was.. is he the twins' father? Since he's the one who left with the alien. But then, watching the 2007 timeline, he didn't seem to be the kind of father to be around and let his kids be abandoned like that.
  • Hosoo's past. Damn, Gikwang! Good job! Really love the casting game in this show. I've said it tons of times... but everyone's at the top of their game here! The confrontation scene between him and Joonhyuk... also that part when Hosoo turned off the power while my heart was already racing as they are on their way to find Bluebird's location... omggg
  • That revelation in the end that even Joonhyuk remembers nothing and that he himself doesn't know which twin he is...
  • BOTH TWINS DO PLAY WITH THE RUBIK'S CUBE.. I love that plot twist.
OHMYGOSH EPISODE FOUR 

WOW WAS I COMPLETELY WRONG

I don't understand how Joon Hyuk could be Bum Gyun when he had those flashes of memory in episode 2 that belonged to Woo Jin. They were of the scene in the police station but Bum Gyun wasn't there..

But damn I am so impressed with how unpredictable this is.

I KNEW THAT PROFESSOR WAS GOING TO BE THE BAD GUY. I wonder what the details of his plan are tho..

And Jung Yeon is Bluebird. Or at least in 2037 she is.

I totally agree, the acting is phenomenal. Kikwang keeps surprising me. 

Poor Bum Gyun :((( This show is amazing tho
In the 4th episode the detective said to Joon Hyuk that his brother left his memories to him, so every Joon Hyuk memories are in Woo Jin POV.
I'm punching myself on the face right now... because even if I've always wanted Joonhyuk to be Bumgyun, the show has already perfectly established Kim Joonhyuk as Kim Bumgyun right from the very first episode and I failed to realize it.

Part 1
Kim Bumgyun: I told you. I'll find you wherever you are.

Part 2
Kim Joonhyuk: Wait for me. I'll find you wherever you are.

=

Yup~ Woojin left his memories for Joonhyuk... so if Joonhyuk had his memories from both the twins POVs"
  • Woojin's POV came from the memory WJ left behind.
  • Bumgyun POV came exactly from his own returning memories.
So guys, since it's cleared up that bum gyun is the dective, who do you think woo jin is? I personally think he's Ho Soo, because joon hyuk/bum gyun seems to be building a relationship with him, and Ho Soo and Woo Jin have similar personalities in my opinion. Here's my theory: Woo Jin thought bum gyun was dead, and requested to have his memories be erased by smartearth. I mean I can see Woo Jin doing that tbh. Who do you guys think Woo Jin is?? 
@hongberg Oh shit, nice catch!! Ah, that makes sense.

@KatySarang_TGeyes I thought it would be Ho Soo at first too, but he has a confirmed identity and the girlfriend, plus they're just too different. They've done a great job of casting 2017 and 2037 counterparts that look similar so far, and Ho Soo and Joon Hyuk have different heights and builds so I can't see it. 

But like after episode 8, I have no idea who Woo Jin could be. I thought I knew were this was going, but there are red herrings everywhere I've given up on trying to predict the story lmao
I still think he might be Ho soo, but that's because I literally cannot see anyone else, because all other possible candidates have been blown out of the water. And it is possible that his memories got erased and he's been living his life as Ho soo, which is wear the girlfriend comes in. K, but I need to know. Is it just me or in the preview when joon Hyuk is banging on the door, there's an untranslated part, did he say woo Jin cuz that's what it sounded like. And this is the first time he bangs on the door, not second, where we know he says "Han Jung Yeon!" lol I am desperate af to find out who woo Jin is, I've seen the preview like a million times. 
In my opinion future Kim Bum Gyun is actually Kim Woo Jin, and Lee Ho so is true Kim Bum Gyun. Erasing their memory was the only way to infiltrate company.
Not sure why they've changed identities, but even the first I saw how future Kim Bum Gyun is acting, I've seen in him Kim Woo Jin.
* or maybe the other way around maybe Kim Woo Jin (future Kim Bum Gyun) is responsible for death of his brother, that's why they gave him identity of Kim Bum Gyun. Because it was too hard for him to live as Kim Woo Jin but he still needed to destroy the company.