bannie:

This is the correct response to OP.

A decade ago it was the Japanese trend and dramas were being subbed the next day. 

Korea has taken over since. 

Less demand, less supply. 

That's a pity. Everyone is into k-dramas now, because "they are much better than other doramas", which isn't right. Nowadays most k-dramas are stupid and boring with too much drama and love triangle. But that's the trend. I like j-dramas more because they are not predectible, you don't know what'll happen in the next episode. 

Hessa Volunteer Staff

Actually, since Kocowa took over SBS, MBC, and KBS dramas, and Netflix took tvN dramas, Viki has started, this month, getting J-dramas. You can request it over there, they have added a couple of J-dramas this month and are planning to add more to combat the lack of K-dramas.

ChristineDavenport:

That's a pity. Everyone is into k-dramas now, because "they are much better than other doramas", which isn't right. Nowadays most k-dramas are stupid and boring with too much drama and love triangle. But that's the trend. I like j-dramas more because they are not predectible, you don't know what'll happen in the next episode. 

I agree. But if you say things like that here you might face the backlash.

I think most of my friends in real life can agree that Kdramas are more sensationalistic with alot more arguing fighting and crying. But its the in-thing now. So you cant deny that either. 

I just wish that there are subbers like last time. 

Hessa:

Actually, since Kocowa took over SBS, MBC, and KBS dramas, and Netflix took tvN dramas, Viki has started, this month, getting J-dramas. You can request it over there, they have added a couple of J-dramas this month and are planning to add more to combat the lack of K-dramas.

Sadly, Afaik viki isn't available on my country(philippines) not sure tho

Hessa:

Kocowa sucks because it doesn't work in Europe :// 

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 HAVA-RAVA:

Kocowa sucks because it doesn't work in Europe :// 

I know, it doesn't work in my country too (licensing fees costs a lot to have it worldwide). But at least we can get the subs on illegal streaming websites. Better have it licensed and get subs than nothing.

bannie:

I agree. But if you say things like that here you might face the backlash.

I think most of my friends in real life can agree that Kdramas are more sensationalistic with alot more arguing fighting and crying. But its the in-thing now. So you cant deny that either. 

I just wish that there are subbers like last time. 

ehhh I semi-disagree. I think anywhere you have dramas, be it the USA or Asia, you will get a ton of recycled junk shows being produced. There are Awesome dramas in both Korea and Japan if you look around. Just look at "W",  "Memory", "Signal", "Incomplete Life", to name a few atypical dramas from Korea. ..... Although Korea  does make a high volume of pretty predictable, weepy rom-com's, It's not hard to skip them thanks to sites like this where I can see all the reviews before investing the time. 

With Japan, I personally have had much better luck finding great films than Dramas, but that's also because I have had less luck finding the subbed ones here lol. 

I have set up a website that when I find something I post where I found it subbed. No guarantee that the links will still work if I had to dig for them (like kurosagi the movie the link is now dead).  So if its on my watched list it is subbed (minus dirty yellow boys, pinkanchi tabun, and this weird compellation with sho eating 3 lollipops that make your talents appear)

It's true that Japanese dramas used to get subbed faster than they do nowadays, but it's not all bad. The quality of translation is MUCH better now than it used to be. So, you may have to wait longer, but at least you can be sure the character is really saying what the subtitles tell you they're saying - and not the exact opposite, or something else entirely, which was not unusual at all in fansubs from 10+ years ago. Enthusiasm and love for a show will never entirely make up for insufficient language skills and lack of experience in translation.