I wished a little more space were given to screenwriters and directors in the dramas and movies database.
When I like the style of a director, or that of a writer, I tend to follow his/her work with pleasure, like I do when I truly appreciate an actor.

Therefore, I was wondering if you have your favourites, who they are and if, like me, you'd like to know more about their work.
I gotta say: Hong Sisters

and Kitagawa Eriko comes in good 2nd place because of Sunao ni Narenakute, Tatta Hitotsu no Koi and Sora Kara furu ichioku no hoshi.
I second the Hong Sisters. They are an obvious mention but I don't care. I love their dramas. and also Kim Do Wo ~ Wrote My Name Is Kim Sam Soon and What's Up Fox which are two of my favorites.
Eriko Kitagawa is no doubt my favourite screenwriter too.
She has such a delicate touch for meaningful dialogues, without ever being overly flowery. And I think she has a true talent for defining friendship. Wonderful. :)
Tatta Hitotsu no Koi was the first Jdorama I watched and I really loved it. If Eriko Kitagawa is that good I am going to look up the other dramas HAVA mentioned and give them a try.

I also like Kim Eun Sook who wrote The City Hall and Secret Garden. (she also did "the Lovers" series) and My Princess...which surprised me because ummm...I think she must have been having an off day/week/month. My Princess was okay but it was certainly no City Hall or Secret Garden.
jeanie65jh wrote: Tatta Hitotsu no Koi was the first Jdorama I watched and I really loved it. If Eriko Kitagawa is that good I am going to look up the other dramas HAVA mentioned and give them a try.

I also like Kim Eun Sook who wrote The City Hall and Secret Garden. (she also did "the Lovers" series) and My Princess...which surprised me because ummm...I think she must have been having an off day/week/month. My Princess was okay but it was certainly no City Hall or Secret Garden.

In fact, she didn't write My Princess. Apparently, Kim Eun Sook has a protegé, a newcomer in the drama world and she wrote My Princess. But when the drama aired, soon after Secret Garden was over, they used Kim Eun Sook's name to promote the drama, so that most viewers thought it was her work.
She's denied the paternity of that (stupid, I may add) script many times, but since it's her protegé she didn't follow up the issue.

As for Kitagawa, she also wrote Orange Days, Heaven's Postman, Long Vacation. All great dramas/movies. :)
as i write this i hang my head in shame for i must confess i've never even remotely tried to find out about any of the writers or directors or producers involved..of any drama i've watched so far..i merely watch it on face value...if i like what i see on screen i watch it (i know i'm shallow..i'm vain :()..ofcourse, i should be aware of them..they r the ones who make or break a drama..my binnie even made a whole drama bout the people involved behind the scenes..even then all i did was look at him n drool-ed *siigh*...just recently i gotta know of the Hong Sisters n that too coz i was readin some article on The Greatest/ Best Love...i won't say they r my favourites just coz they are the only ones i have heard of hehehe..apparently i have watched like 4 of their dramas n none of them are my favourites lol..so they clearly are not...rest assured i will surely be lookin forward to reading all the posts here..hopefully it'll help me broaden my pea sized knowledge on dramas lol..thanks rita :)
amrita828 wrote: In fact, she didn't write My Princess. Apparently, Kim Eun Sook has a protegé, a newcomer in the drama world and she wrote My Princess. But when the drama aired, soon after Secret Garden was over, they used Kim Eun Sook's name to promote the drama, so that most viewers thought it was her work.
She's denied the paternity of that (stupid, I may add) script many times, but since it's her protegé she didn't follow up the issue.

As for Kitagawa, she also wrote Orange Days, Heaven's Postman, Long Vacation. All great dramas/movies. :)

About Kim Eun Sook: Well that explains a lot. hmmmm...

I liked Heaven's Postman a lot! and I have heard so many glowing things about Orange Days. I need to put that higher on my radar to watch. I haven't seen Long Vacation but I am adding these to my plan to watch list like I did with the others from Hava.
kamz wrote: as i write this i hang my head in shame for i must confess i've never even remotely tried to find out about any of the writers or directors or producers involved..of any drama i've watched so far..i merely watch it on face value...if i like what i see on screen i watch it (i know i'm shallow..i'm vain :()..ofcourse, i should be aware of them..they r the ones who make or break a drama..my binnie even made a whole drama bout the people involved behind the scenes..even then all i did was look at him n drool-ed *siigh*...just recently i gotta know of the Hong Sisters n that too coz i was readin some article on The Greatest/ Best Love...i won't say they r my favourites just coz they are the only ones i have heard of hehehe..apparently i have watched like 4 of their dramas n none of them are my favourites lol..so they clearly are not...rest assured i will surely be lookin forward to reading all the posts here..hopefully it'll help me broaden my pea sized knowledge on dramas lol..thanks rita :)

Rest assured Kamz, I myself only know a few. You're not shallow at all and at the end of the day, what counts is the result of a combined work between writer, all the filming staff and the actors: in a word, the final product we enjoy. I don't like the Hong Sisters either, but I'd be more than happy to watch one of the dramas they write if there were Binnie in it, LOL. For all I care, he could star in a silent movie and I'd watch it anyway.

On the other hand, once you've established what's the kind of scenario you like the best, or the style of certain dialogues and situations, knowing that you can (more or less) rely on a writer or a director is nice.
I have got my loves in film direction too, like Wong Kar Wai, who in my eyes can do nothing wrong (Hong Kong Express, In the Mood for love, 2046, My Blueberry Nights etc), or Zhang Yimou, Peter Chan and others - to remain within Asia. :)

On a side note, there are screenwriters who seem to love to work with specific directors (and viceversa). Kim Eun Sook, the scriptwriter and Shin Woo Chul the director cooperated to make Secret Garden, City Hall, On Air and the Lovers serie Jeanie mentioned. I guess they understand each other well in terms of style and the finished product they want to get.
amrita828 wrote: I don't like the Hong Sisters either, but I'd be more than happy to watch one of the dramas they write if there were Binnie in it, LOL. For all I care, he could star in a silent movie and I'd watch it anyway.

LOL..Hi5 to that hahaha...

on a side note, i would like to mention that i DO follow writers/ directors when it comes to Hollywood/ Bollywood movies..just not kdramas yet hehe..but now that u have mentioned i will try n pay more attention to the ppl behind the scenes :)
kamz wrote: i must confess i've never even remotely tried to find out about any of the writers or directors or producers involved..of any drama i've watched so far..i merely watch it on face value...if i like what i see on screen i watch it (i know i'm shallow..i'm vain.

just recently i gotta know of the Hong Sisters n that too coz i was readin some article on The Greatest/ Best Love...i won't say they r my favourites just coz they are the only ones i have heard of hehehe..apparently i have watched like 4 of their dramas n none of them are my favourites lol..so they clearly are not.

I've also never looked up directors/scriptwriters or any of the people behind the scenes.

And I'm also not really a fan of the Hong Sisters. I've dropped most of the dramas, some are on hold, I think I've only completed two. I did enjoy The Greatest Love, a lot and on the second try. I think my problem with them (maybe this is just a figment of my imagination) is that they write overly pathetic women, just look at Go Mi Nam. But she's not the worst. So can I join the club? lol
LisNoir wrote: I've also never looked up directors/scriptwriters or any of the people behind the scenes.

And I'm also not really a fan of the Hong Sisters. I've dropped most of the dramas, some are on hold, I think I've only completed two. I did enjoy The Greatest Love, a lot and on the second try. I think my problem with them (maybe this is just a figment of my imagination) is that they write overly pathetic women, just look at Go Mi Nam. But she's not the worst. So can I join the club? lol

hahaha that made me LOL :D
LisNoir wrote: I've also never looked up directors/scriptwriters or any of the people behind the scenes.

In my opinion you're absolutely right. Their idea of romance is usually a clumsy, overly humble woman attracted to a man who initially treats her like dirt and after 20 episodes gives her permission to like him. I was told repeatedly that The Greatest Love is different, but I'm afraid after 10 minutes of watching Cha Seung Won I get a rush (I apologize for being so harsh, but I can't help it. I really can't.) So to me this combination is lethal.
Go Mi Nam has been on my mind a lot lately because I'm watching - and liking - the japanese version of YaB. It's incredible how small changes in her lines and a slightly different way to interpret the role by the actress can make such a difference. The japanese portray a sweet, generous girl out of her element, while the original is, as you say, a pathetic woman who apologizes for existing.
Not to talk about the male lead, who in my book has been surpassed by his japanese counterpart although he's neither as good-looking, doesn't have as good a voice, nor is he as experienced in acting as Jang Geun Suk (whom I love, in case someone may question my taste).

Uh, and because today I'm really looking for trouble, I'd add that Gumiho isn't better: she is more feisty, but behaves like a butler. Urghh..

The club can be founded. LOL
Hong Gil Dong is the reason why Hong Sisters are my fav :D
HAVA-RAVA wrote: Hong Gil Dong is the reason why Hong Sisters are my fav :D

If you come knocking at the door of the club, we will aim at you with bow and arrows, then. ;)

Jokes aside, I've watched the first episodes of HGD and dropped it just because I'm not into period dramas - I didn't even know of the existence of the sisters at the time. But the cast is excellent and if ever I decided to watch a period drama, I'd try this one out again.