I've had trouble with Chinese dramas that are in a modern setting. I prefer historical, wuxia and fantasy (even if in a modern setting).

Ode to Joy one of the most viewed if not the most viewed drama out of China. But most of the praise I see is about the friendship between the women and realism... which seems like it would relate more to women than to me.

Would you recommend this even if I don't appreciate the friendship moments as much you? Is it interesting where some characters (even just supporting ones) have strong personalities (shy or outgoing or whatever)? 

Ode to Joy is one of my favorite Chinese dramas because of how real every character felt to me; however, I don't think you would enjoy it if you don't enjoy modern/realism dramas. On top of the friendships that developed between the five women, we also learn about their lives. It's very realistic and deals with a lot of issues women face (some Chinese-culture based and some in general). Some issues include sexism, filial piety, marriage/dating, money, etc. I'm an Asian woman and because of this, I found it easier to relate to some situations so I'm not sure how enjoyable it would be for men...

Each character added their own flavor to the drama and did very well in portraying their respected roles. Here's a brief breakdown of the main characters(by age):

An Di - A brilliant and successful corporate executive who left America in search of her long-lost brother. She doesn't like to be touched and can come off as an ice queen. She's rational, direct, and generally the calmest of the five. Over the course of the drama, she uncovers the truth about her identity and falls in love for the first time (it's a bumpy process).

Fang Sheng Mei - A gorgeous and tactful HR manager. She was born into a poor family who favors boys and because of this, she wishes to marry rich. She's responsible and always help her poor excuse for a brother out, but her family is not appreciative of her. She comes off prideful and oozes confidence, but throughout the drama we see her insecurities unveil.

Qu Xiao Xiao - A spoiled rich girl who returned home from America to try and take over her father's company. She is fearless, wild, brutally honest, shameless, and has a carefree personality. She's a troublemaker and she enjoys it! Throughout the drama, her personality doesn't change but she becomes a businesswoman and starts courting a doctor.

Qiu Ying Ying - A naive and rash girl from the countryside. She's the most cheerful and talkative out of the five main characters. She's straightforward, falls blindly in love, doesn't listen to others advice, and doesn't think of the consequences of her actions. Throughout the drama, she finds passion and success in her job.

Guan Ju Er - A shy, dutiful, and quiet girl from a well-off family. She is trying to find her own path and is interning at a Fortune 500 company. She is studious, hardworking, and keeps to herself. She is the perfect daughter and easily fades into the background. Throughout the drama, she starts opening up and falls in love.

With that said, you could always give it a shot and drop it if it's not your cup of tea.
Hope this helps!

I'll give it a go. I do like dramas set in modern times but for whatever reason the Chinese ones I've watched so far just haven't had too much appeal to me. I have enjoyed a few of them like The Fox's Summer for example because the two main characters have strong and opposite personalities and have to adjust to each other. The Big Boss was good because she had a hilarious imagination.

It definitely is a drama that women would likely relate to more than men. If you aren't into friendships and character progression and growth, it probably isn't your thing. It is very realistic and deals with a lot of social issues that women in their 20s-30s face. It's very character driven and all of the characters have very different situations and personalities, and the bonds they form and their friendship as a group as well as their individual relationships with each other are interesting to watch.

It took me a while to pick it up because of the length, and it is definitely the longest drama I've finished (I'm awful with long ones!) but it was absolutely worth it for me. You can always give it a try to see if it's your thing?