I really want to start watching more Japanese dramas and get back to listening to the Japanese language again, but I don't know much about their dramas.

The only drama I've watched before 日本人の知らない日本語, which I enjoyed but it clearly wasn't the most amazing or serious show made. What are your favorites? Anything other than "Japanese boys over flowers" or "love over tokyo". 

I am not sure what is suitable for beginners so i am just going to give a list of my favorites from what I have seen

Romance 

From 5 to 9 (Cute leads)

Rich Man Poor Women (Dont be discouraged by the title its a great show)

Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu (Contract marriage plot that is very realistic)

Suki na Hito ga Iru Koto (Yamazaki Kento is life)

Mystery 

100 Million Yen Women (Its on Netflix,  its fascinating and weird - i suppose not the best for beginners but try it)

I havent seen too many Japanese Shows myself but this should be a good place to start

Enjoy!

I personally like Dear Sister a lot. 

If you're into school genres, I'd also recommend Gomenne Seishun. 

A good romance would probably we Zenkai Girl. 

Suki na hito ga iru koto (lots of cute moments and lots of food, also the protagonists have lot of chemistry).

I also liked Dame no Watashi ni koishite kudasai  & Good morning call:D

1 litre of tears, koizora,zenkai girl

I like fluffy and Rom-com the most so my list isn't completely balanced genre wise. Here are a few dramas I liked:

Mars (I like Taiwanese ver better though)

From Five To Nine

Good Morning Call

Kurosaki kun no Iinari ni Nante Naranai

My Little Lover

Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (To The Beautiful You)

Ikemen Desu ne (You're Beautiful)

Kimi Wa Petto

Hapimari

Last Cinderella

Nobuta wo Produce

Hotaru no hikari

Mei-chan no Shitsuji

Nodame's Cantabile

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge

Liars Game

Rich Man Poor Woman

Switch Girl

Yankee-kun to Megane-chan

Zettai Kareshi 

Currently watching Ashi Girl up to episodes 11 and it's pretty decent. Absurd of course but cute and funny.

tell me your favorite genre and I will suggest something...

right now my friend we will call him Yubell from now on cause thats his gamer name loves psychological or thinky dramas and hates romances,  My husband loves WWII dramas and Samurai movies, I watch anything with a hot guy.

or just check out my favorites list  my first drama was Itazura Na kiss..that was my gateway drug

I find asadoras to be a good choice. The 15 minute format means you can watch as many or as few as you want at a time. Generally I’ll watch 6 episodes at a time for 1.5 hours.  The fastest I ever watched a drama was Amachan, 18-24 episodes a day for a week. Asadoras do tend to be 35-39 hours long and the 150+ episode count scares some people away. 

I’ve watched 

Amachan - young girl wants to be a diver and an Idol

Gegege No Nyobo - Based on the biography of  the wife of  mangaka Shigeru Mizuki.  

Chiritotechin - a young woman dreams of becoming a comedian in the male dominated field of Rakugo.

Gochisousan - a young woman who lives to cook, struggles to win over her in laws with her cooking. Set before and during the Pacific war years, 1930s and 40s.

Many of the more recent ones are fully translated.

Hands down Buzzer Beat, it was my first jdrama. 

https://mydramalist.com/49-buzzer-beat

Soredemo ikite yuku. It's very heavy though. 

I just started to recommend a few and realised this article would probably be a good start.  Also if you use Aminos at all there is a JDrama amino that you can join and find more shows. You have to use on your phone though.

When I wanted to explore JDrama again myself I started with that article and then as I was discovering shows for my list I found the amino and am able to find even more. There are a heap of JDrama titles in my list if you want to check it out.

Among earliest dorama i watched is Hero and one litre of tears. I think personally that still good starting point. 

I agree with 1 Litre of Tears as one of the best Jdramas ever.