South Korean K-Pop boy band SHINee’s lead singer Jonghyun died early Monday. Jonghyun, whose full name is Kim Jong-hyun, was found unconscious at a rented studio apartment in capital Seoul, and was later declared dead at a hospital.

The 27-year-old's sister told police that she thought Jonghyun may have attempted suicide. Police launched an investigation into his death and an autopsy is pending. According to local media reports, police said the singer was found with a burning coal briquette nearby.

"On Dec. 18, 2017 at 4:42 PM (local time) Jonghyun's older sister reported to police that her brother was about to commit suicide," Gangnam Police said in a statement.

"We went to his residence in Chungdam and discovered that he had attempted to commit suicide with brown coal briquettes lit inside a frying pan."

"Emergency responders were with us at the time so we rushed him to the Konkuk University Hospital in a state of cardiac arrest," the statement added.

According to the Mirror U.K., Jonghyun's cause of death is said to be carbon monoxide poisoning, which could have been caused by breathing in fumes from the lit coal briquettes.

Social media users reacted with shock after learning about Jonghyun's untimely death and tributes poured in.

"Jonghyun is a beautiful person and artist who touched lives. He will always be with us through his music," one user wrote, while another said: "Jonghyun suffered in silence for so long. if he only knew how greatful i am that he existed. a big thank you to him for pouring his heart out all along this path."

"I can't even imagine what happened to Jonghyun, this is a lesson for all the companies, they need to pay attention to their artists who are suffering from depression and they should prioritize their artist's health first becoz that is the most important," another user wrote.

Born on April 8, 1990, Jonghyun began his career in 2008. He participated in S.M. Entertainment's project group S.M. The Ballad. Jonghyun debuted as a solo artist on Jan. 12, 2015, with his first EP, titled "Base." The same year, Jonghyun released a compilation album, "Story Op.1." On May 24, 2016, Jonghyun released his first studio album, "She Is," followed by his second compilation album, "Story Op.2" on April 24, 2017. In 2016, he won the Golden Disk Awards for "Base."

Article from International Business Times

Saddened and truly shocked. The poor kid must have been in so much pain if he wanted to end his life so abruptly, Carbon monoxide poisoning is not a fast nor a painless way to go. May he find peace and comfort in his new journey. Rest in peace Jonghyun. :( 

Thank you @Jeremy for posting this

Rest In Peace ... I was so shocked I literally just found out a few minutes ago . May he know he was loved by millions && he will be miss.  ????

A farewell note sent by Kim Jong-hyun, better known by his stage name, Jonghyun, and as front man in Korean-pop sensation SHINee, was uploaded to social media on Tuesday. It points to the crushing pressure of being a celebrity in Korea.

Kim was found unconscious at a private hotel in Seoul on Monday and died in hospital. Seoul police are now treating his death as suicide.

The police report that Kim’s older sister received a text message on Monday suggesting that the star was going to kill himself. And on Tuesday, a longer suicide note was uploaded on the Instagram account of Nine, a musician with modern rock band Dear Cloud. According to Nine’s management, the note was handed to her two weeks before Kim’s death.

“I am broken from inside. The depression that had been slowly eating me up finally devoured me and I couldn’t defeat it,” the 27-year old singer-songwriter wrote at the beginning of his note. Kim also wrote that his doctor had blamed Kim’s personality for being unable to cast off the depression. His note does not specify what he has been burdened by, but he briefly suggests that being a celebrity added pressure.

“Maybe I wasn’t supposed to come up against the world; maybe I wasn’t supposed to be known to the world; I’ve learned that’s what (makes my life) difficult. How come I chose that,” it reads.

The Korean entertainment is notoriously high pressure. It includes a “Hunger Games”-like work environment, where every colleague is also a competitor, and only the strongest survive. Many talents are recruited as teenagers, and may not be emotionally mature enough to handle the discipline and the scrutiny. The Korean public set high standards of behavior and physical appearance, and use ubiquitous social media to pass instant judgement.

Since the late 1990s when Korean pop, film and TV dramas grew to become a phenomenon around Asia, several other young Korean talents have committed suicide. Many have left behind notes about how harmful the industry is.

Korean-American singer Charles Park, known by his stage name Seo Ji-won, was one of the first K-pop celebrities to take his own life – on 1 Jan 1996. In a note, he confessed concerns about the sudden success of his debut album, and whether its follow-up, which he had finished recording before his death, would be equally successful. He was 19.

Other actresses and female artists have killed themselves, complaining of depression and disillusionment with the industry. Jang Ja-yeon, who had a supporting role in the Korean version of hit TV series, “Boys Over Flowers,” wrote in her suicide note that she had been forced to perform sexual favors to so-called sponsors who help talent get roles in popular TV series or films.

A source close to actress Jeong Da-bin, who died in 2007, told the police that Jeong had been depressed over her lack of work, the imprisonment of her previous manager, and online attacks about her appearance.

Actress-turned-singer U;Nee hung herself the same year. According to the police report, people close to U;Nee stated that she had become depressed by online criticism, especially attacks over her sexy style.

The reasons for Kim’s decision to kill himself are not yet clear. The last words from one of the industry’s most popular acts, however, reveal some of the dark underbelly beneath K-pop’s gorgeous, glittering façade.

From article in Variety

Sad terribly sad. :(

Rest in Peace.

I dont know who he is but I've definitely heard about this KPop group. 

It always surprises me how people with so much power and wealth can develop depression. 

There are lots of reasons behind this and it's hard to understand from outside but all I can say is that I'm ashamed of some doctors who could blame their patients saying that the problem is about their personality.

Rest in peace

Truly, truly sad. 

I was very shocked yesterday when I heard. :(

I belive they (idols) are under a lot of pressure and stress (no wonder why they cab develop a depression easily!!). Like come on do they even have any time for themselves. It's very sad that they hardly get any privacy. I don't know about their schedule but (idk).  I hope people will realize that they are people too and need time off, they need to take care of themselves and not hide under their masks.

i'm in shock since yesterday when i came from school and heard the news... i still cannot believe it's actually true, still have hopes he's alive... we all know he suffered yet no one could help him get over this depression... he was our precious angel on earth and now he went home... we all hope he's better now because he deserves to be happy...
i feel really sorry for everyone, i-
ehh...
tbh i can't understand people who spread hatred against any of idols... no, not idols, agains any other person... it's inhuman...
we should all respect ourselves
the words are really powerfull, keep that in mind before it's too late...
he didn't deserve such a pitiful death... he was supposed to live a long life, have a big career, he was supposed to be with members and us, fans, for many years...
and now? we're saying goodbye to a young man who has the brightes smile on earth, who helped people when he needed help himself... even after his death he's helping people by donating his organs... i really can't believe how could we let this angelic person pass away like that...

but besides being totally broke at this circumstance, i deeply hope that this would be a warning to all companies that the artists are also human beeings and they deserve to rest, they can have problems and they can need help as we all do sometimes... i hope they will keep this in minds from now on...

the most precious performance that will be remembered forever..

may him rest in peace

you did well, Jonghyun...

I know this is an old forum, but still.. I've been thinking about his death.. have also seen his last video on youtube before he died. The circumstances that many idols live in must truly be terrible. I just can't understand why nobody could help him or took the time to help him? I mean there were many signs and did call for help. Also, the actress Jang Jayeon who committed suicide 10years ago and wrote a list of men whom she had to either sleep with them or who molested her. I heard they are going to re-investigate those guys. This whole kpop/kdrama business just makes me really sad and I think it won't change much even though people had to die, because those in charge care more for sex and money. Otherwise they wouldn't treat these idols/actresses so badly :'-((((