Hi people!

Curious.. As a lost soul, I have no idea what I want to do in the future... I thought I wanted to major in Architecture, but now I feel uncertain about going down this path.

I've heard advices. People tell me to explore, take classes, find a passion, do something related to your hobby, try something new.  Well sure i'm taking classes, but I'm not interested in any of it. And my only hobby is watching Asian drama and listening to kpop. I can't do anything out of it. What to do? Any ideas?

Intern at as many different jobs as you can. This will help you get an idea of what you'd like to do or not to do.  

find a job that pays well for little work and enjoy your hobbies

job can be fun but dont expect your hobby to be as fun when it is your full time job 

i cannot enjoy anything for 80 hours a week probably not even 60

ie if anyone told me to watch jdrama for 60 hours a week every week for an entire year i will hate jdramas 

*even if you think you will watch only the jdramas u like but in reality you will have to watch genres you dont like nof only that you will have to watch from 8 to 6pm nonstop can you really say any hobby of yours can sill be considered a hobby when you have to adhere to these

Skye-N-Rain:

Intern at as many different jobs as you can. This will help you get an idea of what you'd like to do or not to do.  

Great advice! I actually have been interning at an Architecture firm for a few weeks already. Not quite sure I want to become one. It's just I was wondering if there's any quicker way to figure out what I want to do... I'm just so lost...

bannie:

find a job that pays well for little work and enjoy your hobbies

job can be fun but dont expect your hobby to be as fun when it is your full time job 

i cannot enjoy anything for 80 hours a week probably not even 60

ie if anyone told me to watch jdrama for 60 hours a week every week for an entire year i will hate jdramas 

*even if you think you will watch only the jdramas u like but in reality you will have to watch genres you dont like nof only that you will have to watch from 8 to 6pm nonstop can you really say any hobby of yours can sill be considered a hobby when you have to adhere to these

It's very difficult to find a job that pays well for little work... especially if I don't have a college degree yet. 

Try some traveling.. maybe u can find more interesting things .. and new hobbies. Maybe a new idea too

Weirdestone:

It's very difficult to find a job that pays well for little work... especially if I don't have a college degree yet. 

all relative 

Anjaly:

Try some traveling.. maybe u can find more interesting things .. and new hobbies. Maybe a new idea too

I am planning on going on a short vacation with my sisters some time soon! So that will be interesting! And curious, what do u mean by find something more interesting? Can you please elaborate? I appreciate the advice!

Sorry for replying to your question with another question, but what made you unsure about majoring in architecture? Would you mind telling us?

kura2ninja:

Sorry for replying to your question with another question, but what made you unsure about majoring in architecture? Would you mind telling us?

Yes! During my current internship, I feel like maybe the work isn't for me. It seems like something I don't want to do...

Ah, I see.

Because you've already considering studying Architecture before your  internship, I'm assuming that there's a certain something about it  that appeals to you. I think you need to re-articulate to yourself  what that certain something is, the more specific the better.

I also think distinction needs to be made between not having an interest in a field of study and not having an interest in the work related to that particular field. Maybe you just didn't like the kind of work done in an architectural firm, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you're not interested in other kinds of work that someone with an architecture degree could do.

I'm sorry if I didn't make any sense :p

kura2ninja:

Ah, I see.

Because you've already considering studying Architecture before your  internship, I'm assuming that there's a certain something about it  that appeals to you. I think you need to re-articulate to yourself  what that certain something is, the more specific the better.

I also think distinction needs to be made between not having an interest in a field of study and not having an interest in the work related to that particular field. Maybe you just didn't like the kind of work done in an architectural firm, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you're not interested in other kinds of work that someone with an architecture degree could do.

I'm sorry if I didn't make any sense :p

Those are some good points. Thanks for the advice!

Weirdestone:

I am planning on going on a short vacation with my sisters some time soon! So that will be interesting! And curious, what do u mean by find something more interesting? Can you please elaborate? I appreciate the advice!

The more you travel the more u explore different opportunities.. sometimes a stranger we meets can inspire us in a different way. Maybe the natural beauty can wake up Ur hidden aesthetic abilities..hahhaaaa..

More importantly sometimes a food we taste can take give u a U-turn , what I mean to say is.. a journey can teach you a lots of lesson that a school can't give.

Giving an example.. my journeys have a lot of effect in the carrier I am pursuing. I found myself falling in love with exploring places, their culture and more importantly different languages. So I decided to pursue IFS ( Indian Foreign Service  ) which can fullfil all of my passion and my commitment towards my country. 

Hope you got what I am trying to say... If not feel free to ask.

Anjaly:

The more you travel the more u explore different opportunities.. sometimes a stranger we meets can inspire us in a different way. Maybe the natural beauty can wake up Ur hidden aesthetic abilities..hahhaaaa..

More importantly sometimes a food we taste can take give u a U-turn , what I mean to say is.. a journey can teach you a lots of lesson that a school can't give.

Giving an example.. my journeys have a lot of effect in the carrier I am pursuing. I found myself falling in love with exploring places, their culture and more importantly different languages. So I decided to pursue IFS ( Indian Foreign Service  ) which can fullfil all of my passion and my commitment towards my country. 

Hope you got what I am trying to say... If not feel free to ask.

Hey Anjaly!! are you still preparing or got through the exam?

I am stuck on deciding between whether to prepare for CAT or IFS. CAT is relatively easier option for me but IFS gives me vibes. IFS seems cool!! I just can't sense the difficulty level for clearing upsc....... Gosh i am just being lazy and not doing anything at the moment  :( 

PS: i am pursuing B.Tech in aerospace engineering (3rd year student)

Hii Shivam..

B tech in aerospace.. it's really cool. I am just a literature student in my second year. I am kind of preparing.. I read newspaper daily. Mainly international affairs , update myself with my previous class subjects ( mainly from highschool and higher secondary ) . These are my preparations...

Considering the difficult level of IFS , I still have along way to go. Bt since my dreams r on the line, I can't back out. Also it's cooool......