I am currently in highschool and absolutely clueless abt where to study. most ppl already have a clear idea and idk everyone's kinda rushing it. so kinda need help.

now us or Canada wont be an option cos it takes too much money and there's a lot of shit going down in us and uk.

germany seems kinda cool for studying medicine rn. but I don't know abt the cost, requirements, eligibility criteria, best schools to do my mbbs/md and job market for doctors.

do they discriminate based on ur nationality in germany? cos in Europe and America most ppl I know end up working as cabbies or some other kind of low wage job despite fulfilling all qualifications for their job or maybe even being the brightest just bc others are given unfair opportunities. and considering that im a girl, it's only worse. medicine is a hella competitive field.

guys pls tell me what I should do

xoxo

shadow some docs and make sure ur ineresed in the work 

Where are you from? 

I've had some distant relatives from the UK go and study medicine in Poland. Not sure how they're doing now.

I think you should give Denmark a shot. The education is long I think, but you get paid for studying, which means the government gives you money, while you're getting educated.

I would stay within your country if it is at all possible. 

The problem with giving advice is different countries have different systems.

US and Canadian medical school seem to be leaning more towards people completing 3-4 years of undergraduate before applying and I know many who went into medicine with PhDs (7 years of school to get PhD and then medical school after that)!

Perhaps some European countries let you go straight to med school with no university or 1-2 years.

For medical school these days, you're going to want to have good grades, volunteering experience (not necessarily medical related) and an interesting life story (talk about your volunteering experience and why you want to be a doctor).

Getting into medical school is difficult and the earlier you start the better. 

You talked about the taxi driver thing for immigrants: the problem with medical degrees is some countries won't recognize your degree as soon as you land in the country and almost all of them will require you take a test and show you can pass it before you can start practicing. That costs money and it takes time (to study for the test) and often it's in the new country's language that you are learning. And then you have to find a way to get a job with no connections. It's no impossible but alot of these men and women coming from say India to the US don't have the time and money to pass tests. They have families to support and they will take the first job they can get.

Well in my country Portugal although in comparison with other countries it is cheaper to study and live for entering in medical school only European residents or Brazilians with a certain legal status, saying that you'll have to pay attention to your country of choice regulations.

In Canada you can do a 3 or 4 years undergraduate degree in anything then take the MCATS to get into med school, then about another 3 or 4 years in med school after you can do a residency depending on what exactly you are going into. The residency could take up to 3-7 years. Or you could go to an island to study medicine. I am also in high school and am working towards the medical field. Co-op is a good option so you can shadow doctors in a hospital, that is what I am doing. Studying medicine is generally expensive but I think if you study it on an island it is cheaper and faster but the medical systems are different in each country, depending on where you study you will be restricted when you get your medical license.

I HOPE THIS HELPS!

So I don't know if you still need advice, but I am from Germany.

To be able to go to University you need the Abitur. We have diffrent kinds of secondary schools here in Germany and Abitur is the ''highest'' degree you can get from school.

To be able to study medicine you need a really good degree. We don't use GPAs here but grades.

Very good:

(15) : 1+

(14) : 1

(13) : 1-

good:

(12): 2+

(11): 2

(10) : 2-

etc.

Medicine is something a lot of people want to study so this degree has a Numerus Clausus (NC). It basically says what grade you have to have to get accepted without waiting a few semesters. This year it was 1,0 (14) on average in almost every state [1,1 (still 14 I think) in one or two].

I do not know if they make a diffrence between foreign and German students or not. But I think if you got the requiered degree and grade it shouldn't matter. 

But this doesn't mean you can't try if you don't have those grades. You might still be accepted.

Medical school and the accompanying medical license systems differ from country to country so you will have to do a fair amount of research.

I would encourage you to shadow doctors and have experiences in a clinical setting with healthcare workers and patients (volunteer/internship) to determine and solidify your decision to pursue medicine. 

FYI in the USA, it is an unwritten requirement that medical school applicants have clinical experiences and scientific research experiences.

Becoming a doctor is quite a competitive, rigorous and time consuming process and you must evaluate whether it is the right fit for your career goals and desires.

:)

omg I wasn't expecting so much of a response. thanks a lot all of you. the advice really helps. I already have a lot of volunteering experience in various medical and science related settings and lead a lot of clubs and stuff. im used to competitive and rigorous training and im sure no matter what I choose id always do my best (ofc it can get hard sometimes).

anyways, it seems I probably wont be able to study medicine. while my grades aren't a problem and I love the subject, it's too expensive to study it. and idk how long I can depend on my parents for it and not many opportunities where im studying. and all teachers/counselors say there are no scholarships available for it. medicine is a really underrated field here and tho the pay might be quite high, the years spent studying will make me go bankrupt. who knew dreams could be so expensive.

im really glad you all took your time to help. I still have one year...you never know. but ill probably get into biomedical engineering or architecture. thanks a lot :)

Knavery:
The problem with giving advice is different countries have different systems.

Knavery:
Getting into medical school is difficult and the earlier you start the better. 

Knavery:
he problem with medical degrees is some countries won't recognize your degree as soon as you land in the country and almost all of them will require you take a test and show you can pass it before you can start practicing. That costs money and it takes time (to study for the test) and often it's in the new country's language that you are learning. And then you have to find a way to get a job with no connections.

yes

rad_lisette:
FYI in the USA, it is an unwritten requirement that medical school applicants have clinical experiences and scientific research experiences.

research is a plus

Call Me Onee-sama:
the years spent studying will make me go bankrupt.

yea ids a bery lon and expensibe course

u made de ride choice. i didn wanna say id earlier becuz i wanded u 2 come 2 ur own final opinion 

bud yea iz is a shid job

I don't think you should forget about medicine. 

Work towards a different degree but make sure you take any pre-requisites required for medical school in your country or countries you were considering.

Be frugal, save up. I know a woman who did a PhD, worked in a lab before becoming a doctor. She built a family over that same time (4 kids) with a husband who wasn't making much money.

The debt can be worth it if you are motivated and succeed. There are scholarships that can help ease things as well, you just need to put in the work to find them and apply to them.

Alia95:

So I don't know if you still need advice, but I am from Germany.

To be able to go to University you need the Abitur. We have diffrent kinds of secondary schools here in Germany and Abitur is the ''highest'' degree you can get from school.

To be able to study medicine you need a really good degree. We don't use GPAs here but grades.

Very good:

(15) : 1+

(14) : 1

(13) : 1-

good:

(12): 2+

(11): 2

(10) : 2-

etc.

Medicine is something a lot of people want to study so this degree has a Numerus Clausus (NC). It basically says what grade you have to have to get accepted without waiting a few semesters. This year it was 1,0 (14) on average in almost every state [1,1 (still 14 I think) in one or two].

I do not know if they make a diffrence between foreign and German students or not. But I think if you got the requiered degree and grade it shouldn't matter. 

But this doesn't mean you can't try if you don't have those grades. You might still be accepted.

May I ask you if one wants to pursue a Masters Degree in Pharmacy, but I'm not German and I already have a Bachelor's degree and my high school diploma is of IGCSE. Will they accept my Bachelor's degree or will I have to like restudy for it or smth if I want to get my Masters there?..

And please if anyone knows any good countries to pursue a Master's degree on pharmacy, do advise.

@Danasmah I am sorry I don't know that. Generally I would say, since bachelor is a worldwide accepted degree, that it should be okay. But I am not 100% sure and I guess it depends on the country. I would maybe message the University you want to apply to.