Misaki25:

Just You. The best I ever seen

I tried Just You, I think I watched about 10 episodes or so. I think it had potential. I liked ML and I thought he and the FL had great chemistry. However, the incompetence of the FL and complete disregard for logic in how an employee would interact with her BOSS and her sometimes over the top and illogical behavior/reactions put me off. While What's Wrong with Secretary Kim was not necessarily perfect, at least the FL showed time and time again that she was competent and intelligent and frankly acted in a logical/human-like behavior. 

Frankly, I don't like hysteric, dumb, incompetent FL. I don't also like when I'm told that FL is smart and competent yet as the viewers we don't see any evidence of that intelligence. 

I've been watching Asian dramas for around 6-7 years, so I've become very picky about the shows that I watch and don't necessarily have the ability to turn a blind eye and enjoy things that I might have enjoyed in my early Asian-drama days.

But thank you for the suggestion anyway :) 

KINGJJ:

I understand what you mean about poor acting in Chinese dramas (personally I haven't seen any problems in Taiwanese dramas with acting so far) but I think I can help you out! Since I've seen quite a few Chinese and Taiwanese dramas myself. All of my recommendations will be romance dramas because that's all I watch.

Chinese dramas:

• Stay with me.
  • Customize happiness.
  • Fifteen years waiting for migratory birds.
  • Because of you.
  • A love so beautiful.
  • Cruel romance.
  • With you.
  • Meteor garden (2018)
  • My sunshine.
  • Loving never forgetting.

Taiwanese dramas:

• Meteor garden (I recommend watching this original Taiwanese version before the new Chinese remake)
  • Devil beside you.
  • Marry me, or not?
  • Autumn's concerto.
  • Refresh man.
  • Love @ seventeen.
  • Attention love!
  • Moon river.
  • In a good way.

I have watched BOF the J-drama yeaaaaars ago and attempted the Korean and Chinese versions. The Chinese, in my opinion, is a lot better than the other two and I thought the actor for ML was great but every single thing other than the ML bored me to tears. I ended up just skipping a lot of the scenes that don't have the ML until I just gave up on completing it. I never really understood the magic of this particular story/franchise and why it keeps getting remade over and over again.

I did though put many of your suggestions on my watchlist. Thank you for the suggestions! :)

It's ok :) and it's good that you have the other versions of BOF a try, it's not for everyone. I hope you enjoy the rest of the dramas I gave you!

Chinese:

• To Late To Say I Love You !!!
  • Loving, Never Forgetting

Taiwanese:

• Someone Like You

While I would not use the term shitty to describe something that isn't to my taste, I agree finding one that I enjoy is akin to finding an orange unicorn.

That said, I did enjoy this Taiwanese one. It was kinda clever and cute.

When a Wolf Falls in Love With a Sheep (2012)

I know you dropped Love O2O, but did you happen to try the movie version? I found it way more enjoyable!

For a modern day romance, I definitely agree with others who have recommended Autumn's Concerto.  For a melancholy romance drama,  Summer's Desire, the 2010 Taiwanese version. (The 2018 Chinese remake is awful.) I recall  Marry Me, or Not  making me laugh out loud. I loved the Taiwanese version of Meteor Garden  but at this point it's pretty  dated so I don't know if it'd feel the same.

For Chinese dramas... I don't know that I can wholeheartedly recommend any romance-focused dramas set in modern day. They're frequently 35+ episodes with repetitive storylines and ridiculous plot twists. Sometimes there's a good chunk of ~15 episodes in the beginning or middle. Maybe The Fox's Summer for a light, fun watch?  A Love So Beautiful was so popular but I had to skim through the high school parts. 

I do recommend these C-dramas but they're either not set in modern day or not romance-focused:

• Nirvana in Fire (my favorite Chinese drama of all-time, but very little romance - this is the rare 50+ episode drama that I have watched more than once)
  • Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms (fantasy, romance)
  • Lost Love in Times (fantasy, romance)
  • Legend of Yun Xi (historical, romance - the male lead is like a cardboard cutout, but the female lead is great!)
  • When a Snail Falls in Love (modern crime/detective with a little romance)
  •  Love Me If You Dare (modern crime/detective with a little romance)
 acemoonshot:

While I would not use the term shitty to describe something that isn't to my taste, I agree finding one that I enjoy is akin to finding an orange unicorn.

That said, I did enjoy this Taiwanese one. It was kinda clever and cute.

When a Wolf Falls in Love With a Sheep (2012)

This post came after a string of frustrating Chinese dramas that had different reasons for frustrating me (silly/hysteric/irrational FL, really silly/juvenile and again irrational plots, pretty horrible performances...). Out of the dozens Chinese and Taiwanese dramas that I attempted and the few I completed, I only loved about three and those three I watched a loooooong time ago so I'm afraid I'd rewatch them and discover that they were not all that (except for maybe In Time With You since I love Chen Bolin). So I was really really really annoyed when I wrote it. I do agree that shitty is not an appropriate word to use especially that it entirely depends on taste and preference. 

PS: I loved your metaphor of the orange unicorn :)

Interestingly, after going through your Favorite Romances list, "cliched", "idiotic" and "juvenile" would be some of the terms that I would use to describe more than a few of the dramas on your list. Guess everyone has their own tolerance for some of the cheesiness found in dramas before it veers into corniness and idiocy. 

As for dramas I would recommend, the best Chinese Dramas that i've watched include: Nirvana in Fire, Battle of Changsha, Nirvana in Fire 2: The Wind Blows in Chang Lin, With You, My Huckleberry Friends, Romance of Our Parents, Ode to Joy, Scarlet Heart and Auntie Duohe.

Taiwanese Dramas: Q Series: Love of Sandstorm, Days We Stared at the Sun, Age of Rebellion, Love, Timeless, An Innocent Mistake and My Dear Boy.

Not all of these dramas are focused solely on romance but if you're looking for quality Chinese and Taiwanese dramas, these dramas are certainly worth your time and attention in my opinion.  

Jay:

Interestingly, after going through your Favorite Romances list, "cliched", "idiotic" and "juvenile" would be some of the terms that I would use to describe more than a few of the dramas on your list. Guess everyone has their own tolerance for some of the cheesiness found in dramas before it veers into corniness and idiocy. 

As for dramas I would recommend, the best Chinese Dramas that i've watched include: Nirvana in Fire, Battle of Changsha, Nirvana in Fire 2: The Wind Blows in Chang Lin, With You, My Huckleberry Friends, Romance of Our Parents, Ode to Joy, Scarlet Heart and Auntie Duohe.

Taiwanese Dramas: Q Series: Love of Sandstorm, Days We Stared at the Sun, Age of Rebellion, Love, Timeless, An Innocent Mistake and My Dear Boy.

Not all of these dramas are focused solely on romance but if you're looking for quality Chinese and Taiwanese dramas, these dramas are certainly worth your time and attention in my opinion.  

I agree with you that some of the dramas in my Favorite Romances list are "cliched", "idiotic" and "juvenile." However, there's at least one or two redeeming qualities. Let me give you a couple of examples:

Kill Me, Heal Me - The FL was screechy and hysterical and I hate the actress, and the plot wasn't necessarily airtight but Ji Sung carried the story with his performance and had great chemistry with the FL

Fated to Love You - encompasses all the words I said (cliched, juvenile, and idiotic, with a horrible second act) but again great performances and chemistry.

High Society - Only watched the parts of the SFL and SML and skipped the rest since they had, again, great chemistry and the SFL had unexpected reactions to most of the cliched plotlines.

My ID is Gangnam Beauty - is the opposite of most of the others. Great plot and characters but not that great of performance especially from the ML.

As for the Chinese dramas that I dropped had little to carry me. When the acting is unconvincing at best, cringy or boring to tears at worst, or only one single cast member that can act (Meteor Garden Chinese version), and the story is cliched/juvenile, and the plot is all over the place or there is no plot to talk of, and there is very little chemistry, there is nothing for me to latch on, to push me to actually finish it.

I'm sorry if my wording of the original post was too harsh and offensive or dismissive of others' taste.

hyperbutterfly89:
This post came after a string of frustrating Chinese dramas that had different reasons for frustrating me

Oh, I hear you. You are stronger than I am, to have watched that many.  Some Chinese movies I can tolerate.  But no dramas.   Somebody must like them but clearly, I am not their target audience.  You were speaking of being afraid to re-watch some dramas, for fear they'd not hold up.  I had that fear after my recommendation.  That my recollection of When A Wolf Falls in Love With A Sheep was overly praiseworthy.  But to be fair, it is only one I have liked.  So I threw it out there.

acemoonshot:

Oh, I hear you. You are stronger than I am, to have watched that many.  Some Chinese movies I can tolerate.  But no dramas.   Somebody must like them but clearly, I am not their target audience.  You were speaking of being afraid to re-watch some dramas, for fear they'd not hold up.  I had that fear after my recommendation.  That my recollection of When A Wolf Falls in Love With A Sheep was overly praiseworthy.  But to be fair, it is only one I have liked.  So I threw it out there.

I actually watched that movie a couple of years ago and I remember liking it as well. Rewatching has definitely ruined some dramas for me but also made me love ones that I didn't like the first time around. So it can be a blessing and a curse. When one grows and their experiences and thoughts evolve, they change as people and their tastes change. I really scratch my head over dramas that I liked when I was a lot younger.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation :)

Why do  people (esp on MDL) love to get so hot under the collar about other people's opinions about shows they like?  All the low key snark toward the OP's comments are totally unnecessary.

Many dramas are indeed shitty. I can totally understand the frustration that would cause the OP to use such a strong word. I took a break from Asian dramas for almost 2 years for the exact reason that I was tired of all the cliche, idiotic, juvenile silliness of dramaland.  'Shitty' would've been a most appropriate word to describe the shows I was watching at the time. What's worse, now that I've started watching shows again (just a little bit), I've come to realize the vast majority of them are still shitty. That's why I'm pickier than ever about what I watch now. I've gone through my list and removed a bunch of dramas that I no longer have the patience to watch.

Shitty will vary from person to person. Your shitty might be another person's treasure; that doesn't mean the drama will stop being shitty for you, though. Therefore, we should be able to express out true, candid opinions without everyone taking things so personally.

There are so many dramas I enjoyed and most people hated. Lovers, being one of them. This drama has a very low rating on MDL, but is the only drama on my list that has a 10.

I liked High Society for the main leads who I thought had excellent chemistry and had a more mature, balanced approach to their romance than the seconds who had that crazy in love vibe that in irl tend to crash and burn (and which it also did in the drama too, interestingly). However, most people loved this drama for the seconds, not the mains. Many people thought the mains were shitty. Doesn't bother me one bit. I find it rather funny, in fact.

I looked at the OPs list of favourite dramas and read their intro. I deduced that this person and I do not tend to like the same dramas, but I recommended some any way because you can never really pinpoint what someone will like or dislike. There can be many things wrong with a drama, but something about it can still work for you. I've had that experience many times.

I wasn't trying to be dismissive or critical of your favorites either and i'm sure you have your own reasons as to why you like those dramas and that's perfectly fine, everyone's taste is different. For Instance, you didn't like Just You and I definitely acknowledge it has its flaws too but I still like it. The drama writer actually is aware that the main FL is kind of abrasive and loud in the beginning but she does kind of change by the end of the drama and she's given more opportunities where she's able to show her competence. Beyond that, the drama is just fun for me and it has one of my favorite ensemble casts.

Some of the dramas you've watched are more what I consider to be "idol" dramas. Those tend to be more silly and lighter which isn't a bad thing but it depends on how they're executed for me. The ones I recommended for the most part aren't really like those ones you've watched so far so you might respond more positively to some of them. Hopefully you find something that you end up liking and that isn't a waste of your time. ;-)

You've been watching the wrong ones! 

My favourite drama is battle of changsha. The acting the authentic and it has a hint of romance in it :)

Historical, Romance, Spy

Battle of Changsha

Rookie Agent Rouge

Sparrow

Melodrama, Romance

Autumn's Concerto

Action, Romance, Thriller

When a snail falls in love

Romance, Comedy, Friendship

Love and pi (Taiwanese drama - ongoing) (I am loving it)

High School, Romance

With You

My Huckleberry Friends

A Love so Beautiful

P.S. I too find it hard to get into C and T dramas and I have dropped plenty of them specially disliked the once you dropped. But these are some dramas that I really liked. I hope you check them out and I hope you like them. Good Luck. (: