Hi everyone! 

So, I was discussing how people often write spoilers in the comment sections of dramas (without properly concealing them) with @Penel over at the feeds. We realized that writing an article that could serve as a "Guide to Spoilers" might be helpful. 

I planned to briefly cover what a spoiler is as well as why people dislike them, how to avoid them, how to properly conceal and maybe give some examples of the most common spoilers found here. Of course, that's all easier said than done, and I've stumbled into a bit of a creative block. 

So I was wondering if anyone could share with me what their view of spoilers is. 

1. Do you dislike them, not mind them or like them? Why?
  2. Have you encountered many spoilers in the comment section which aren't properly concealed?
  3. Do you read reviews with spoilers on them? Have you read a review that claims there are no spoilers only for you to find many?
  4. Which do you think are the most common types of spoilers people give?
  5. What are your thoughts regarding adding spoiler-like tags to a show? Such as: tragic-ending, amnesia, childhood connection, etc. (thanks @Zardua_ for this point).
  6. Anything else you can think of regarding the topic is welcome!

Just in case: Google dictionary defines a spoiler as "a description of important plot development in a television show, movie, or book which, if previously known, may reduce surprise or suspense for a first-time viewer or reader."

1. Do you dislike them, not mind them or like them? Why?

I totally have no problem with spoilers and i even seek them out if i need to stop watching for say..sleep purposes. i am going to finish the drama anyways so it doesnt matter.  Text doesnt always do the visuals justice.  Screen shot spoilers sometimes make me angry, but not enough to not watch the show/movie.

1. Have you encountered many spoilers in the comment section which aren't properly concealed?

No.  No one watches what i watch when i watch it, so not really noticed--I am a mainly japanese watchers and most of the spoilers i have seen are korean or chinese.

1. Do you read reviews with spoilers on them? Have you read a review that claims there are no spoilers only for you to find many?

i will read a review only when i am confused about how i feel about a drama after watching it.  After reading someone else's  review helps me identify what i had issues with but could not identify myself.  i never read a review before hand..i dont think like other people and i know that.

1. Which do you think are the most common types of spoilers people give?

-Who winds up with who

- who is the villain

-what the plot twist is

1. Anything else you can think of regarding the topic is welcome!

Please encourage people to use the spoiler tag for screen cap spoilers and then add explaination underneath.  Add the spoiler text inder a spoiler tag in reviews (or use white text and tell people to highlight).

this is more about reviews---  And please to form their own opinions, if you think you are going to like a topic but spaklebunny456tardissnaps(please dont let this be a real person) says they don't like it, give it a try anyways you never know what hidden gems you miss by someone else not liking something.

I feel like a spoiler is any info we haven't learnt yet that could affect the way we feel whilst watching and our reaction to the upcoming scenes, like knowing how it ends, who THE killer is, who gets with who, or even smaller plot points, like spoiling there's an amnesia plot-line that isn't otherwise mentioned in trailers and whatnot.

For me, I've seen plenty of unwanted spoilers, both here in the discussion/comment bit of dramas, but also in Viki's timed comments. I don't like it when they're unmarked tbh, if it's accidental i understand and forgive, but people who spoil on purpose seem to think that they have beaten someone else, or one upped them by being able to spoil a series for them.

On the other hand, for some dramas, like those that I'd like to watch but could end tragically, i will go looking for spoilers of the ending, I don't tend to watch dramas with sad endings as I watch dramas to feel happy over any other emotion, so people putting a spoiler tag of 'Happy ending' or 'Sad ending' is really useful to me. For me spoiling is only acceptable when it has been asked for/hidden so it cant be stumbled upon.

Hope this helps you a bit, and that this is the type of stuff you're looking for

Thanks for sharing, @OldAnimeLady. 

OldAnimeLady:
Screen shot spoilers sometimes make me angry, but not enough to not watch the show/movie.

I hadn't even considered the screenshot types of spoilers, which I'm guessing may be prevalent in the feed section! I'll cover that for sure! 

OldAnimeLady:
i will read a review only when i am confused about how i feel about a drama after watching it.

I do wonder how many users only read reviews if they've watched the drama. I tend to read reviews if I've already watched the drama (just to see what others' takes on it are, especially if they gave a similar rating). But I may also read reviews for a drama that I'm on the fence about watching. I usually read at least three reviews. One with a high rating, another with a medium rating and one with the lowest rating. That way I can get a better gist of the good and the bad. 

OldAnimeLady:
spoiler tag in reviews (or use white text and tell people to highlight).

It's unfortunate, but I think that, as far as I know, you can't change the color in a review. The alternative I'd plan to give is to write the review spoiler free but add a note that you'll write the spoiler in the comment section within the review. That way they'll be able to use the spoiler tag function. 

OldAnimeLady:
- who is the villain

Ah, you are right! This one slipped my mind and this would probably be the one I'd hate the most.

OldAnimeLady:
And please to form their own opinions,

For sure! I can make a small note when I write the section of spoilers within reviews. :)

Thank you very much for your input, @Zardua, it really helps! 

Zardua_:
I feel like a spoiler is any info we haven't learnt yet that could affect the way we feel whilst watching and our reaction to the upcoming scenes

Very well put. I'll probably emphasize the "affect the way we feel" because that may be the most important thing to consider and remember; especially for those who don't understand why people don't like spoilers. 

Zardua_:
like spoiling there's an amnesia plot-line that isn't otherwise mentioned in trailers and whatnot.

Another very valid point with a perfect example (since so many dramas use this trope, yet don't necessarily add it to the premise description). Thank you! 

Zardua_:
people who spoil on purpose seem to think that they have beaten someone else, or one upped them by being able to spoil a series for them.

I have heard this before as well. Perhaps I'll add a note about this as well. Though I do want to gear the article into ways to "circumvent" the spoiler (in a way). Like ways to phrase certain things so that people who've seen the drama understand the point and people who haven't seen the drama will not be spoiled. 

Zardua_:
so people putting a spoiler tag of 'Happy ending' or 'Sad ending' is really useful to me.

Interesting! So if this was a tag within the show, would that bother you still? I don't usually read the show's tags, but now I'm wondering if this is a tag that's used. 

Would it be better to have people put it in the comments properly hidden with the spoiler function vs. tagging the show's ending as "happy" or "sad" or even "tragic"?

regaurding tags..they can be a "spoiler" tag when added and does not show unless you search for the tag OR for recommendations automation purposes

For example the "amnesia" tag could be there but hidden and if you watch a lot of shows with amnesia it may suggest a show for you based on that

here are shows with amnesia tag
https://mydramalist.com/search?adv=titles&th=200&so=relevance

Its such a trope in jdrama romances at least 1 in every 3 has it, I myself dont even consider it spoiler any more, just pleasantly happy when it doesn't.

This was just an example tag, not picking on any one or the tag

•  Do you dislike them, not mind them or like them? Why?

Somehow i kinda live for spoilers. I am not good with binge-watching and/or I dont have time to binge watch so I sometimes venture into the sea of spoilers to find answers on my most pressing questions. I feel like i do this with any kind of media - books, tv shows, comics. I try to not read  spoilers about everything as it ruins excitement of the story and i purposefully dont read details as sometimes i think i know thanks to spoiler what will happened... but i actually misinterpret stuff. However, finding out who is the husband in Reply as a result of unconcealed spoiler would probably ruin my excitement of the drama. so yeah.. there are spoilers and then there are spoilers

• Have you encountered many spoilers in the comment section which aren't properly concealed?

probably yes but as I dont have that much issue with reading spoilers it just didnt bother me much.

• Do you read reviews with spoilers on them? Have you read a review that claims there are no spoilers only for you to find many?

i dont read reviews much. im okay with minor spoilers - sometimes you have to share some key elements but there is no reason to spill everything in the review.

• Which do you think are the most common types of spoilers people give?

accidental "I cant believe X is dead!!"

• What are your thoughts regarding adding spoiler-like tags to a show? Such as: tragic-ending, amnesia, childhood connection, etc. (thanks @Zardua_ for this point).

tragedy should be always tagged but rather than "tragic ending" i prefer "tragedy" tag as it does not imply what really happens (like.. it kinda does but it doesnt).

In general if the spoilery-tag thing happens within the first half of the drama i think it is fair to tag it. if it is in the second half i wouldnt want to see it as a tag unless it is somethnig really triggering.

---

good luck with writing your article, i am looking forward to it!

1. I dislike them, because spoilers take away the fun and excitement of discovering things on our own. For example, I hate when someone reveals there's a kiss in episode 8. It doesn't matter that they didn't say at which point the kiss will take place and how the scene will unfold, but just knowing it will happen in that episode reduces the anticipation for me.

2. Yes I have. It makes me postpone watching that drama/movie in the hopes I will forget the spoiler over time.

3. Yes to both. It is for this reason that I do not read the reviews anymore,  unless I have finished that drama/movie.

4. The highly anticipated kissing scene, the plot twists, the episode/moment the couple get together, the plot in the final episode, the endgame of the secondary characters, etc.

5. If the tags reveal a major plot twist, a concealer should be added. If the tags reveal something that can be deduced by the synopsis or something that will be revealed soon into the story (like ep 1-4) than it is okay to add without concealing.

6. I'd rather people overconceal than spoil things. So maybe concealing should be the default (at least in the comment section)?

OldAnimeLady:
For example the "amnesia" tag could be there but hidden and if you watch a lot of shows with amnesia it may suggest a show for you based on that

Thankfully, there's a new format that has been implemented that allows you to decide whether a tag is a "spoiler tag". Not sure what it looks like when you add it as a spoiler tag, but that's probably something to consider and advice people to use. Will find a way to mention it in the article for sure!

Thank you for your feedback, @Salty_base!

Salty_bae:
venture into the sea of spoilers to find answers on my most pressing questions.

Oh, I can't blame you because I do the same. There are some dramas that make me impatient. Like if it's a gender bender drama, I want to find out the exact episode when he or she will figure out the other's gender. However, I would hate to learn the exact way they find out since that would take away some of the excitement. So, on those occasions, I might just ask people to tell me specifically at which chapter he or she finds out. 

Salty_bae:
there are spoilers and then there are spoilers

This is an interesting point and worth discussing. Maybe I can specify that there are sub-plot spoilers and then there are main plot spoilers. Whereas the sub-plot spoilers may not be as harmful, main plot spoilers are. Since those would deal with important information regarding the overall story.

Salty_bae:
accidental "I cant believe X is dead!!"

Hahaha yes! Those are the ones I've unfortunately stumbled upon a number of times.

Salty_bae:
rather than "tragic ending" i prefer "tragedy" tag

You are correct in this and that's also worth mentioning. One leaves things vague enough to not spoil, the other pretty much spells the end of the story. Thank you!

Thank you for also sharing your thoughts, @Aem!

Aem:
I hate when someone reveals there's a kiss in episode 8

Yes, this is another prevalent spoiler example that I hadn't thought of, but which I've seen! So I'll definitely add it to the article. You also make a valid point. Even though this spoiler may not be considered big by some, it does take away the excitement for most! 

Aem:
If the tags reveal something that can be deduced by the synopsis or something that will be revealed soon into the story (like ep 1-4) than it is okay to add without concealing.

This makes for a good rule of thumb to decide whether to add it as a spoiler-tag or not! 

Aem:
I'd rather people overconceal than spoil things. So maybe concealing should be the default (at least in the comment section)?

Yes, I'm hoping that the article would encourage people to conceal even minor spoilers. Even if it's by adding a vague open comment, then replying to the comment with the specific spoiler they want to discuss. This because I'm not sure why people don't conceal spoilers. Is it because they don't know it's a spoiler? Is it because they don't know how to conceal it? Or is it because they think nobody will read their comment if it's concealed? I'm thinking it's the last one, which is why I thought about advising to put an open, vaguely worded statement, then direct people to the spoiler in the reply if they want to know more about it. Or something along these lines.

1. Do you dislike them, not mind them or like them? Why ?                                                                                  I do not dislike them if they are concealed.I especially look for them in long chinese dramas which tend to have unhappy or open endings.
  2. Have you encountered many spoilers in the comment section which aren't properly concealed?

Not really.

1. Do you read reviews with spoilers on them? Have you read a review that claims there are no spoilers only for you to find many?

Sometimes to the first question and rarely to the second. . But reading reviews in general sometimes puts me off the  drama as the reviewer might have a totally different opinion than me and my eagerness to watch a particular drama wanes.I have stopped reading reviews and comments unless it is a chinese drama.

1. Which do you think are the most common types of spoilers people give?

Endings, who ends up with whom, if it is a happy ending etc.

1. What are your thoughts regarding adding spoiler-like tags to a show? Such as: tragic-ending, amnesia, childhood connection, etc. (thanks @Zardua_ for this point).

I dont care about spoilers other than tragic endings.

1. Anything else you can think of regarding the topic is welcome!

I really welcome properly concealed spoilers. 

NO! I don't like spoilers and having them be included in the tag makes me reconsider even watching a show (to be brutally honest it pisses me off, its like mdl is also in on it). 

If you want to know what happens in a show then just mgs someone who watched it and have them spoil it for you. It's so inconsiderate and flat out rude to tell people what's gonna happen.

I use to read reviews BEFORE I would watch a show just to get their opinion but now I can't even do that. I will read the synopsis while trying not to scroll to far to read the tags and if I like the sound of it then watch it.

Thank you so much for your replies, @usna & @ShotaSidePart!

usna:
I especially look for them in long chinese dramas which tend to have unhappy or open endings.

Yes, I could see why that would be necessary. When you do look for these spoilers, do you check all of them out, or only the ones pertaining to your doubts? Like looking for someone who has already asked, "does this have a sad ending?" 

usna:
as the reviewer might have a totally different opinion than me

I relate to this. I've had been put off from watching a drama by a reviewer, only to later give it a chance and be pleasantly surprised. But the same could be said in the opposite direction. Where I didn't feel like watching a drama but a review convinced me. But personally, I'll always read at least three reviews before deciding. And I usually try to read the reviews that have different ratings. That way I can get a better gist on the story (if it's a drama I'm on the fence about, that is).

ShotaSidePart:
having them be included in the tag makes me reconsider even watching a show

There's a new implementation to the tag system where you can mark whether a tag is a "spoiler tag". I'm not sure what it looks like when you do, however. I'm guessing it might hide the tag from the drama's page and would only kick in when "searching" for a drama with a specific tag. But I could be wrong about it. Have you heard of this?

ShotaSidePart:
I use to read reviews BEFORE I would watch a show just to get their opinion but now I can't even do that.

Do you find not many people use the "this review contains spoilers" warning that has been implemented? Because I know before, it was up to the reviewer to warn people or not, which meant there were a lot of unwelcome surprises. But I feel like more people are now clicking the box that'll add the warning. Unfortunately (just happened recently with a drama I'm watching), if the review is really short, it contains a spoiler and it just happens to be on the main page because there aren't enough reviews, then the spoiler becomes really visible. So perhaps I'll add a note on my article about adding enough spaces before writing the paragraph to keep the spoiler out of sight.

Do you dislike them, not mind them or like them? Why?

I would probably say that I hate spoilers either it is for a movie or a drama. Most of the times I search a lot before watching a series or a film and I tend to read reviews and sometimes the comments. There were a lot of times that people had written a spoiler (probably with no intention to write one) and for me it was disastrous. After reading a spoiler especially if it is extremely important for the plot development I would not watch the drama/movie. I love experiencing the movie/series without knowing a lot of things. The only thing that I like to know is if the majority things it is good or a waste of time.

Have you encountered many spoilers in the comment section which aren't properly concealed?

Yes, unfortunately

3. Do you read reviews with spoilers on them? Have you read a review that claims there are no spoilers only for you to find many?

I don't read reviews with spoilers, but there were times that I have read reviews with spoilers that shouldn't be there.

4. Which do you think are the most common types of spoilers people give?

The ending or a plot twist. Btw for me at least even saying that it is sad without telling what exactly happened is also a spoiler.

What are your thoughts regarding adding spoiler-like tags to a show? Such as: tragic-ending, amnesia, childhood connection, etc. (thanks @Zardua_ for this point).

I tend not to pay attention at that when I am reading the summary, but I don't really like it. Of course it's fine if it is something that occurs throughout the drama/movie (like abuse)  or something triggering 

Anything else you can think of regarding the topic is welcome!

I would also add that spoilers in the summary is probably the worst thing ever  (the above question is a part of what I am saying or it may be implied)

Thank you for your input, @Ackery,

Ackery:
Most of the times I search a lot before watching a series or a film and I tend to read reviews and sometimes the comments. There were a lot of times that people had written a spoiler (probably with no intention to write one) and for me it was disastrous.

I can relate because I'm the same. I tend to read some comments/reviews to get a feeling of whether the drama is worth watching or not. But reading a main-plot spoiler usually puts me off entirely. 

Ackery:
I have read reviews with spoilers that shouldn't be there.

You mean because there was no warning that there were spoilers? Or because people could've easily left them out and made their point without mentioning them?

Ackery:
Btw for me at least even saying that it is sad without telling what exactly happened is also a spoiler.

While I wouldn't consider that a spoiler, it's very interesting that you do. Because we all have our personal way of categorizing what is a spoiler and what isn't. Would you rather a comment like this one: "I like this drama, but overall, it's quite sad... :(" be marked as a spoiler?

Ackery:
something triggering

Another interesting point that's worth being included in the article to discuss. I hadn't thought of the tags as trigger warnings. But would you rather have thought tags included as a "spoiler tag"?

Ackery:
I would also add that spoilers in the summary is probably the worst thing ever

I haven't come across this! Would you consider it a spoiler if the summary mentions something that happens within the first few episodes (1-4 if it's a 16 episode drama, for example)?

Your welcome!

1. I mean that there was no warning of containing spoilers and they were there.

2. It depends. For example if the summary points that it is going to be a drama I watch it knowing that it's going to be sad, but there are a lot of cases that the poster for example or maybe the summary doesn't hint anything like that. In that case I would consider it a spoiler while in the first case I wouldn't.

3. Again it depends. If it is something that occurs throughout the drama like amnesia it is fine. I do believe the same with topics that may trigger people like child abuse. On the other hand if the amnesia (tag) is not in the summary or it happens late in the drama (lets say 14 out of 20 episodes), then I consider it as a spoiler.

4. That depends on the length of the drama. I don't mind if it is a 30 episode drama and in the summary it is included something that happens in the first 1-2 that is crucial and the main plot. On the other hand if it is a 20 episode drama and in the summary there are spoilers about the first 4 episodes (especially when they are crucial of the plot) then I consider it as a spoiler. 

For example (this is an over the top one though): a few months ago I decided to watch Eternal love (2017) and I read the summary because I had my doubts as it is a lengthy drama for my taste. I was confused at first but after watching a few episodes I knew what would happen next because of the summary. Not to be dramatic, but it may even cover the first 25 episodes and that a HUGE spoiler.