Lately I have noticed that even though I adore some of the most recent dramas, that i seem to enjoy older dramas and that they're more memorable for me and I have no idea why. I think it may be because I am sucka for nostalgia and the whole early 2000s thing really makes me sad (born in 2000). 

I wondered what you have personally noticed has changed about dramas, from each country, from let's say the early 2000s compared to now? 

For me, it's obviously using smart phones and social media. I miss the times when characters in dramas would only have a basic mobile phone, social media wasn't part of their lives and I feel like they communicated better with each other. 

Storylines have obviously changed. I know at some point, you have to stop recycling the same storylines over and over again (though I personally love each and every single one of the Itazaru Na Kiss adaptions and Meteor Garden) 

They film differently. I have seen so many dramas where the camera panning is really random, a little shaky  and just not amazing quality - but somehow, it felt more realistic for me (even though reality is the last thing I want because how can I escape from this torturous world, otherwise?) 

It's kinda sad for me to think about this because memories...anyway. 

So, what have you noticed? ❤️

I watch lotta of older dramas.  I think the cliches are more strong at older dramas for the better or for the worse at rom coms, the characters seems to be more goofy/cheesy thats my impression. We had more of second leads and triangles, at older dramas as well, the newer ones seems to have less of that (which I like, I always seem to fall for the 2nd lead)  and I take that making second lead more likeble as bad writing since we gonna get disappointed sooner or later ;-; 

The melodramas were more dramatic than the newer ones, lot more suffering, lot more tragedies, in exchange, they were more complex. I've been watching some recent dramas which such simple or boring story lines I feel disappointed a little.

I watch mostly korean dramas

Aw, I can relate entirely to the magical feel of the dramas from the early 2000s. I assume it's because of how simple the times were compared to the present. I mean everything back then felt so new and refreshing, it was like an entirely new canvas for people to paint with their original ideas and creativity, which seemed to have dried out.

Honestly, I agree with the fact that people were better connected in older dramas than the new. I suppose dramas are a reflection of how our society functions.

I have noticed that characters back then were similar to a beautiful hand-carved statue, they happened to be thoroughly thought out, extremely detailed with minor flaws and most dramas had a consistent plot. Whereas, these days characters are mostly bland and inconsistent. It's like that innocent charm and originality has vanished completely. :(

However, there's always light at the end of the tunnel. In my opinion, it's the best of the changes that has been made throughout these forsaken years.

The biggest changes would be the lack of getting hit by a car, amnesia and terminal disease cycle, (aka the nosebleeds.) Most dramas had those three mixed together, and I almost wished that I had knocked myself into having amnesia, seriously.

Other changes that I've noticed are the lack of an evil/controlling mother or step-mom, arranged marriages, family disputes over inheritance, damsels in distress and the most irritating of all/stereo typical love triangles where they include the most over the top 'evil' or persistent love rivals.

I believe that these are the biggest changes from the past to present dramas, and I'm glad that these writers have finally learned to tone some of these clichés into a downward spiral.

Truly hope that dramas can continue to thrive for many more countless years without losing its originality.

Oh my god you're so right about the evil mom giving money to the girl lead hahaha, the amnesias, and CHILDHOOD PAST.  I can't take childhood couples anymore.I was a very common cliche back then and is still used till now over and over and over and over again.  Korea, just stop with that already ;-; There's the gool old Chaelbol, that never goes out of fashion really

Yes but for some reason, I seem to like older ones better. I don't know, I feel like they had a better character development.  They were more like a book, you know, with prologue, introduction, development, resolution, conclusion. I dont know if you get what I mean. There were less holes in the stories too. ^~^

I never watch the trendy dramas, I'm always digging for something older for some reason.
When I get enough of ancient dramas, the current gonna be the new ancients hahaha

The obvious difference would be the 4:3 tv resolution to 16:9...LOL some dramas already migrated to 16:9 as early as 2000, but mostly changed at around 2005 if I can remember correctly.

About the tech things such as phone, there are few recent dramas that tell story of the past too so it's not about the year of it's broadcasted but more about the year the event took place in drama. However, with the new evolution of technology the old tricks can't be used anymore like the stupid misunderstanding or missing someone on crowded place...etc..so it's cool to see the new take on the world with smartphone and social media.

I don't watch kdrama, but when looking at the teaser on TV or few glimpse of it or the screenshot on MDL feed, I noticed the recent dramas feel more like beauty magazines...LOL.. regardless of the storyline...if your notice, almost every characters in recent dramas wear bright colors, brand new clothes...even when they go to office or go to sleep...and their office or houses feel like designed by professional interior designers with stylish furnitures with matching wallpaper colors...Unfortunately i can see the trend is coming to japan as well, which is a bad thing in my opinion.

• Less idols in dramas
  • A greater % of older dramas had scenes to make the viewer cry - i find myself more often more emotionally vested in the older dramas 
  • More water-in-the-face by mother-in-law
  • Greater % of dramas starting in high school 
  • Even more use of white truck, tie-the-shoelace, wrist pulling, etc, plot devices in a single drama
  • OSTs - now they are more computerized and pop\catchy, and in old dramas less computerized and are more guitar and 90's feeling.
  • Actors - in older ones the same age looked younger and with less makeup. also there were less idols in them (especially as the main actors)
  • More memorable - wether it's the stories, scenes or actors they left a bigger impression
  • Filming technics\resolution - got better with time, but there is somethings comforting in the older way of filming
  • Product placements - I don't remember having that in the older ones
  • Less side stories\characters\couples - they were a lot more centered on the main characters.
  • Less mix of different geners - if it was romance it usually didn't have a mix of family life (of all the main characters, what the parents, sibling neighbors feel about the couple for example), work place drama and etc mixed all together.
  • Brighter colors - I'm not sure if the camera improving or fashion but nowadays all is brights colors in clothes, home design and etc that you see in the dramas. Older ones had more darker\warmer tones and I don't remember seeing the characters wearing highlighter colors XD

I actually have a hard time watching jdramas that were filmed in the last 10 years (somewhere after the era of HYD\Gokusen\Kimi wa petto they weren't that fun anymore)