Hello there, i am an male drama watcher and i've been thinking is anybody male users on MDL feel comfortable or being uncomfortable of watching dramas. Anyting?

Males watch too

I feel perfectly comfortable watching dramas as a guy. The conversations are sometimes a little awkward because it tends to be a female dominated fandom/hobby. But I've never been made to feel intentionally uncomfortable.

nothin wrong with that, i watch drama for them cute girls xD

but serious talk, some dramas do have good story.

Echo:
The conversations are sometimes a little awkward because it tends to be a female dominated fandom/hobby.

ikr, when the talk become the fangirlish i tend to back off a little lol

Echo:

I feel perfectly comfortable watching dramas as a guy. The conversations are sometimes a little awkward because it tends to be a female dominated fandom/hobby. But I've never been made to feel intentionally uncomfortable. 

That's nice, i am quite comfortable watching dramas as a male as well. And yes, i know dramas is largely for a female audience, but we do have male members that love dramas too, male dramas watchers are considered to be part of a niche group whose female watchers of dramas are noticeably more mainstream groupies.

We do also have male MDL users that are also Gay that usually watches dramas that are gay romance (Thai and Taiwanese dramas have a large catalog of gay romance dramas for gay male dramas watchers that can love to watch it as well).

Yes i watch too, but only few. I tend to watch dramas where the story is equally distributed among the characters (mostly ML). Because most of the dramas are generally centered  around the female lead where the male lead always looks like kind of support role and then there's two male lead chasing her, hahahahahaha

I am straight guy and have been watching dramas for many years now. One thing for sure I don't watch for what a typical female viewer is usually looking for in a drama (no offense, I know the more seasoned viewers are not like this...xD). 

From my observation, female viewers tend to look for certain things in the main characters before deciding to watch anything. Like for example introverted ML, cold turned to nice ML, strong FL...you know, stuffs like that. They don't mind the cliches, draggy-ness, non-realistic plot-lines, as long as they have the desired characters and tropes.

I don't know about other male viewers, but I found myself to be more curious on the story-line before anything. It doesn't have to be unique, as long as the scripts are well executed and I prefer the more believable situation over the shoujo-manga kind of logics (if you know what I mean). 

I also tend to avoid over-hype drama when it has some idol actors acting in it unless the story is interesting enough and I will usually try to avoid the "feminist" propaganda stories (but I did accidentally watched some...lol).

Sorry about the long post, but my point is female and male viewers might be looking for different things in dramas, so dramaland doesn't belong to specific gender. They are loads of gender-neutral dramas out there and while it sounds strange I found many Japanese dramas to be male-biased and many of the source materials are coming from male writers too!

It doesn't really come up in real life because I like Western TV, I watch and play sports and that's what most of my friends talk about. I'm not going to force them into something they don't know anything about.

In terms of online - I usually look at suggestions. Personally I prefer comedies and period dramas so that's what I look for. I'll throw in the occasional suggestion or tip if someone has a question or wants a recommendation.

I only started watching dramas earlier this year and I'll admit I am hooked.  My friends and co-workers know I watch some laugh and poke fun but whatever.   I mainly like to watch the Wuxia dramas, I love watching the wire work during the Kung Fu battles.  I'm always thinking in the back o my mind - how'd they do that; trying to deconstruct the scene from a technical aspect.  

So, yea, I'm male and I like watching Chinese dramas (only because I haven't watched any Korean, Japanese, etc.).   If people ask I don't deny it. 

I didn't like drama before but I began to watch some this summer and I really like it now
that's all I watch on netflix

ShowBox Tutuapp Mobdro

If u havent seen this and have Netflix, enjoy...David Letterman talking about watchting a  kdrama:   https://mydramalist.com/profile/joanapolis/feeds/kV3o4hJ

JoanneSmith:

If u havent seen this and have Netflix, enjoy...David Letterman talking about watchting a  kdrama:   https://mydramalist.com/profile/joanapolis/feeds/kV3o4hJ

Didn't expected to see Letterman talking about this.

TimiZero:
I am straight guy and have been watching dramas for many years now. One thing for sure I don't watch for what a typical female viewer is usually looking for in a drama (no offense, I know the more seasoned viewers are not like this...xD).

I'm straight girl ... well, woman ... and I agree entirely with your post. MDL seem to attract a lot of weird otaku fangirls who act in some really bizzarre ways. I'm not saying this to be offensive, but I've been on this site for 7 years and I once had a long list of friends (now deleted, by choice) who I'd converse with on the regular. The crazy ways in which people would behave over their idols & or favourite dramas were, and still are, absolutely shocking to me. So I feel I have a good overview of the type of people who frequent the site. Furthermore, you pretty much can't take any of the ratings for dramas and movies on MDL seriously. So many times I fell for the hype surrounding many dramas & got sorely disappointed. The only reason I stick around MDL is to keep track of my Asian catalogue. Otherwise, I would have quit this site a long time ago because of how ridiculous the people on here are. The core demographic definitely do not suit my personality, interests or tastes.

By the way, I'm trying to figure out why it would be strange for men to enjoy dramas? Dramas are entertainment. There are dramas to suit every tastes, so to think they're and or should only be a female pasttime, to the point where a man watching drama is 'shocking' or 'uncool' is just another ridiculous notion that I can't wrap my head around.

PrettyCarEye:
The only reason I stick around MDL is to keep track of my Asian catalogue.

Strangely, I find that MDL is more reliable now than any other english written asian drama database...therefore it's nice to have account in here (like you can know what is trending just by looking at what people post on feed) apart from being able to keep track of our own lists.

PrettyCarEye:
I'm trying to figure out why it would be strange for men to enjoy dramas?

Exactly what I was thinking!! But, I saw somebody else posted on feed before asking the same question like the OP. So, I think there must be some sort of miss perception about this especially among younger people or beginner in asian dramaland. 

I forgot to write this earlier, but I think there are many male watchers out there. It's just that they probably don't bother to make accounts in MDL....well, as you know men typically lazy with stuffs like keeping record, so... LOL. Even in my case, I took some time before finally decided to join..and furthermore I only realized the existence of MDL after years of watching drama, and only open account couple of years after that.

The idea that it's weird for dudes to watch Asian dramas is really funny to me because like.... dramas are the stuff that airs on TV in Asia LOL I feel like people often forget that. it's like saying it's weird for K/C/J men to pop open a beer after work, flip on the TV and watch their own shows.