Meineke:

I sort of have a system. At any given point I try to have one sageuk, one modern age, and one to rewatch. I usually pick based on a theme I haven’t watched in a while or alternating between something dark and a romcom. I also tend to pick shows that have some of my favourite leads that I haven’t seen in a while. As for my watchlist, I pick shows either because they have a cast member I like or because it has a good rating. I don’t usually watch anything below 8.0.

Do you follow it off of the reviews for the 8.0 rating or do you jump into shows even though it has a lower one? 

maya_x:

It takes me a really long time to find the next drama for me to watch too! I have the ‘plan to watch’ list but I never refer to it lmao. Sometimes it’s becauae I’ve enjoyed the previous drama so much that I try to find another one that’s identical & realise that’s not going to happen lool. Other times it’s because I’ve been on such a roll that I need to take a break for like 6 months ????

However the way I usually look for something to watch is by the rating (8 and above) as well as the year it was aired (2015 onwards). I tend to also look at the spoilers too see if it’s a happy ending & if it’s not, then...

Genre’s aren’t a priority for me as i’ll truly watch anything as long as it keeps my interest lool, but my favourites are always crime, romance & youth! 

I do spoilers too, it's kind of hard not to xD 

Dandelion:

I am not sure about it. I think it depends on my mood. Sometimes I pick things because the summary sounds interesting, second is the casts are the people who I am familiar with, or sometimes rating or theme. If there is a certain theme that I am looking for, I usually ask with the other members for recommendation and so far they are good. 

I pick off mood as well, definitely, do you have a plan to watch list? 

zalcu:

Almost every drama I choose comes from my plan to watch. There are exceptions obviously but I definitely rely on it for picking my next drama. I do tend to pick by mood (which usually is guided by the synopsis or tags) or by the title though. I'm also less likely to lean towards a historical or 50+ episodes and more likely to pick up things with supernatural or fantasy elements, but the cast can shake that up a little. A good actor/actress can make me choose watch something over everything else.

I do re-watch, but I only have two reasons. One: I'm in a slump. The more common reason, two: I'm with my mother who hasn't watched the drama yet. (We love our drama nights.) 

I have such a hard time with historical! Do you have a hard time with the chemistry between some actors and actresses? 

Engr Mommy:

I read reviews and I look at the ratings. I don't watch what everyone is watching (shows currently airing). It spoils the mood for me.  I make sure not to watch the same main lead/s back to back. I want to forget their last role/character before I try another of their drama. After watching some heavy melodrama with heartbreaking ending, I tend to jump right to the next light rom-com lol

As for recommendations, there's just too many so I will give you my top dramas in random order.

K-drama:

- Healer

- Kill me, Heal me

- A Gentleman's Dignity

- Something about 1%

- Because this is my first life

- Marriage Contract

- Queen In Hyun's Man

C-drama:

- Story of Ming lan

- The Eternal Love (2 seasons)

- Oh My Emperor (2 seasons)

- Eternal Love (Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms)

- Sound of the Desert

- My Mr. Mermaid

I can dig that, I definitely need to do the whole forgetting the main lead in one show and jumping into another because it throws me off so bad and I never want to watch it, like I watched my amazing boyfriend and loved the FL and tried to watch Le Coup De Foudre and she's the FL in that and I'm like D: I can't do it 

• recommendations from MDLers
  • asian wiki daily blog 
  • articles on soompi
  • who the actors are - i research those i like and work thru all their works if possible

Sometimes it's as simple as the title making me want to watch ie When I Get Home My Wife Always Pretends to be Dead. But mostly its the tags and genres I use to find dramas to watch. For a while all I wanted to watch was horror so I looked up dramas and movies with that tag, read the synopsis and some of the comments to see if it's worth my time. Then I would add the ones that looked interesting to my ptw list. I go through bursts of that. Like recently I just wanted to watch nothing but bl dramas or high school or a psychological thriller- this is pretty much why my ptw list keeps getting longer and longer lol.

I have moments where I burn out and don't want to watch anything but I find that trying not to binge watch and watching multiple dramas with some movies thrown in helps that.

I love a good love story, so if there is any in kdrama & it captures my heart, then I will watch it till the end. Besides I like stories with good action & mysteries to be solved. That combination always works for me. Mostly I choose from the kdrama that are airing at that moment. But sometimes I come across nice video on YT and look for that particular drama

depends on my mood...majority is on the

-Kiss scene

-chemistry

-humor

-cast

Yo0osammy:
I have such a hard time with historical! Do you have a hard time with the chemistry between some actors and actresses? 

I can think of maybe 2 actresses who I'd actively say "yes, I struggle." Otherwise it's a "not really." For the most part I'd say a bad script is more likely to bother me than chemistry. 

1) Main lead - priority senior actress/actor (Takuya kimura,Ayano go, Masataka Kubota, Ryo nishikido, Ayase Haruka, Mikako Tabe,etc ) if new generation cast, I will make sure they're good in acting..unless they're cast with senior actor/actress, I will know how good they're..

2) Genre - priority is my favourite genre.. detective,mystery,medical,family,etc... 

I have been watching dramas for the past nine years and my taste have drastically change. I watch Chinese dramas to Thai lakorns as long as the story piques my interest. I am also one who loves romance and without it, I usually don't watch a drama but sometimes I would watch a slice of life or crime drama depending if it holds my attention. I usually watch dramas based on boredom, interest of the story, and if the couple look like they might have chemistry. I rewatch older dramas as the story and plot is usually better and it brings nostalgia of my youth at the time. Sometimes I rewatch the drama to see how my mindset might have change from when the drama aired to how I am now, to see if it was as good as i thought it was. But when I do rewatch a show, its usually one that really impressed me and blew me away when i first watched it

I am currently hooked on a Chinese drama with Xu Kai and Bai Lu called Arsenal Military Academy its currently airing on the iQiyi app and its the right amount of hilarity, romance, action, and drama. Its also one of those dramas where the female lead disguises herself as a man but she does so to assume the identity of her brother.

Dramas I would recommend: The story of ming lan, princess agents, the princess man, secret, scarlet heart (more so the Chinese version but I really liked the Korean version as well), goodbye my princess, boss me if you dare, the story of yanxi palace, rule the world, nice to meet you, Kleun cheewit, full house (thai version) roh ratree, boss and me, and etcetera

Personally, I have a long Plan To Watch list that I never look through whenever searching for a new drama lol. The reason my Plan To Watch list is so long is because I find new dramas that I don't have the time to watch. Since I'm already watching several dramas at once I decided to just throw them into this never ending list. I then become overwhelmed with how long the list has gotten and don't check it when looking for a new show (yet I continue to add to the list). When I finally do find something to watch, some things I put into consideration are: the cast, description, genre, release date, and ratings.

Most of the time, when I discover dramas, it's by popularity, me looking at dramas a certain actor/actress has been in, or recommendations.

I also can't help but notice popular shows that are airing since they always seem to be featured on streaming services such as Netflix, Viki and many others. I always tap on them and read their description, then if I like the sound of it I'll begin to watch it. The thing I don't like about this method though, is if I get really invested in the show and I need to wait a week for each episode to air lol. I sound really impatient but when I start a really good drama I can't seem to stop, and start binging. 

An example of these situations would be Moment of Eighteen. I'm absolutely in love with this drama! I noticed it because it was airing and was on the featured page of Viki. However, I also tapped on this drama when it popped up on my screen was because I recognized the female actress (Kim Hyang Gi) from another drama I had recently watched (Sweet Revenge). I watched Sweet Revenge because Cha Eun Woo was in it. I then started looking up things about the cast of Moment of Eighteen and found out that the male lead (Ong Seong Woo) was in a kpop group called Wanna One whom I have heard of before. I started watching tons of videos with him in it and began stanning lol. A few months ago I watched Produce 48 which created iZone, and since Wanna One came from Produce 101 Season 2 I began watching that as well. 

So it kind of goes in a cycle for me, I feel like this wasn't really that helpful, just mostly me talking about useless shows and actors lol. But if you haven't started watching Moment of Eighteen yet, I suggest you should lol.

Honestly, it depends - can be my mood.

If not actors, if I’ve watched something and like the character I’ll look on MDL and see what other shows they’ve been in and watch but only if the description is good.

Description 

Then trailer if I’m curious enough but still can’t decide if I want to watch 

Last resort the comments under the drama or reviews as I prefer to not want to read what people are saying as it will put me off, I try avoid because if I see too many under 5* ratings I’ll not want to watch

Sometimes I cruise by favorite actors/directors, or new upcoming dramas, but mostly it's tags, tags, tags. Even if it's a drama that's upcoming or new and popped up on a trailer or MDL's homepage, I jump to the page and scan the tags to rule out things that annoy me, or find themes I enjoy. So, props to all the folks who update pages with tags! I also search tags for themes I'm currently interested in, then I narrow it down by rating and year (things that are too old can be both too hard to find or the video quality might be too poor for my patience). Still, MDL ratings are a little conservative, so I've started taking chances on things that may have a lower rating such as 7.1, and a lot of times I'm rewarded. Unfortunately I've seen that some folks will come in and rate something low if they don't like the themes or actor pairings, or just enough people didn't watch it.