If someone is depressed do you think it's bad to watch tragedy dramas? Do you think they should avoid tragedy dramas and just watch happy ending dramas? 

It would depend on that person. I actually like to watch both. I switch off I watch a tragic one then a happy one. Mind you I do tend to start talking to the screen when I watch dramas. Tragic ones help because then we can cry with them or if they are in the same situation as well. That and its a good way to hid the real reason your crying. As for the happy  ones, I tend to start to start wishing it was me or I could have had that so more like "what if's" happens when you watch and makes you even sadder at times because memories of happy things floats in your mind.

So really it depends on the persons personality. Everyone copes differently but if they are really are depress then I would say you should watch carefully on what they are watching and to be on alert but at the same time understand that this is how they let go of that numbing feeling.

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me personally it's an absolute NO-NO. If I'm feeling depressed watching tragedies will make me feel worse because it compounds any negative feelings I might be having about life. This is the time when I need to watch happy stuff that makes me laugh and feel uplifted. A happy ending is a must.

Actually, even when I'm not feeling down, I still prefer to watch happy stuff rather than tragedies, esp if it's drama. I have a higher tolerance for tragedies in movies because they're shorter and I tend not to absorb all the sadness of what I'm watching. However, I don't want to spend hours and hours of tragedy in dramas. No, life in general is tragic enough. All you gotta do is turn on the news!

Irisdramafan:

It would depend on that person. I actually like to watch both. I switch off I watch a tragic one then a happy one. Mind you I do tend to start talking to the screen when I watch dramas. Tragic ones help because then we can cry with them or if they are in the same situation as well. That and its a good way to hid the real reason your crying. As for the happy  ones, I tend to start to start wishing it was me or I could have had that so more like "what if's" happens when you watch and makes you even sadder at times because memories of happy things floats in your mind.

So really it depends on the persons personality. Everyone copes differently but if they are really are depress then I would say you should watch carefully on what they are watching and to be on alert but at the same time understand that this is how they let go of that numbing feeling.

I can relate to that, sometimes crying along to the drama, makes me feel relieved if I'm feeling stressed out, but doesn't make me focus on the real reason I'm crying  but I also do feel that sometimes watch happy things it can sometimes make me feel even more sad because I wish I could also feel happiness like the characters in the drama.

emaureeng:

Probably better than watching the news.

Yeah I guess so, when I was younger I use to read news papers and I remember I use to be so scared from what I had read that I use to struggle sleeping at night and I use to get chest pains from anxiousness 

PrettyCarEye:

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me personally it's an absolute NO-NO. If I'm feeling depressed watching tragedies will make me feel worse because it compounds any negative feelings I might be having about life. This is the time when I need to watch happy stuff that makes me laugh and feel uplifted. A happy ending is a must.

Actually, even when I'm not feeling down, I still prefer to watch happy stuff rather than tragedies, esp if it's drama. I have a higher tolerance for tragedies in movies because they're shorter and I tend not to absorb all the sadness of what I'm watching. However, I don't want to spend hours and hours of tragedy in dramas. No, life in general is tragic enough. All you gotta do is turn on the news!

I use to always steer clear from tragedies, since I felt the same way, why would I go out of my way to put in so many hours on a show that would end badly anyway, when I watch things with happy endings it makes me feel happy because, even if I am not happy, seeing others being happy and getting a happy ending would make me feel happy and more hopeful that happiness is attainable for everyone, however there are times when I would watch something happy and it would have the opposite affect and actually make me feel even more sad since I would wish I could have a happier situation like the characters in the drama. I've always wondered though why some people really enjoy watching tragedies and go out of their way to watch them...the only reason I have been tempted to watch a tragedy is when people say that the story is really good, so then I watch it and then skip through the ending to lessen the amount of crying.

I don't watch happy dramas when am feeling bad, I can't find it in me to be happy or smile, and they make me feel even worse.  Nor do I watch tragedy dramas either because I'm already in a bad way, why add to it? What I watch are reality shows, as in, cooking shows, house hunting shows, house make-over shows, the type where you just watch and the mind doesn't need to think, it's neither in a happy place nor in a bad place, and minute by minute I start to move away from that dark cloud. 

I think it depends on the person but for me, when I'm feeling depressed the last thing that I want is to watch something sad. I normally prefer to watch funny dramas when I'm feeling down/sad. I love the drama Just between Lovers but I had to put it on my hold-on  list because I was feeling very depressed while watching it, so whenever I'm feeling sad I just choose to watch funny things to make me smile:)