Do you prefer to watch dramas while they are airing, or are you more of a marathon person?

Personally, I enjoy having the chance to discuss a drama, so I wish I could always watch them while they are airing. But I found out that unless a drama is really very good, the wait makes me lose interest pretty soon. As I said unless the drama is very good, in which case waiting for the next episodes enhances the pleasure for me.

But I also remember the thrill of my first marathons through already completed dramas, that feeling which makes you oblivious to everything around you except the story on screen. And I know many drama addicts who always wait until the show has come to an end before starting it.

What kind of viewer are you?

:)
im leaning on marathon
Usually I would say completed ones so that I don't have to wait but this spring has changed me. I've become an avid 'watch it as soon as the subs are up' watcher.
At first I only watched finished dramas, so I could marathon through them, but then I accidentally came upon Personal Taste (which is the first drama I watched while still airing) and I from then I've mostly watched still airing dramas.

I might go back to my marathon practice because

1) Korea doesn't record the whole series previous and I've found it is a risky practice.
2) The Taiwanese drama I'm currently watching airs only once a week and has 20 episodes. That is going to take forever to air in comparison with dramas of other places.
3) I think Japan does the same thing as Taiwan.
Marathon sounds right up my alley :D Probably coz I lack the patience required to wait for each episode to air! The wait is killer T_T I know this from experience (Oh city hunter, how much you tormented me! ). Plus there's the probability that I'll end up watching some other drama waiting for the current one to air, and end up getting hooked to that one instead! :D
OK...

rzrz wrote: At first, I only watched finished dramas, so I could marathon through them. But then, I accidentally came upon Personal Taste (which is the first drama I watched while still airing) and from then I've mostly watched still airing dramas.

I might go back to my marathon practice because:

1) Korea doesn't record the whole series previous to airing and I've found it is a risky practice.

2) The Taiwanese drama I'm currently watching only airs once a week and has 20 episodes. That is going to take forever to air in comparison with dramas of other places.

3) I think Japan does the same thing as Taiwan.

But I know I'm not going to be able to stay strong until the drama finishes...lol
For me, I'd say completed ones. I 100%-ly enjoyed watching drama one at a time, back then. Unlike now, i recently started airing dramas namely City Hunter, Heartstrings, Myung-Wol the Spy, and Scent of a Woman which are good but i don't get to enjoy them for some reasons. And besides, i don't like discussions so what's the point of watching them ahead. After finishing the airing dramas i started, I'm going back to what I've practiced before. :D
miazndpro wrote: For me, I'd say completed ones. I 100%-ly enjoyed watching drama one at a time, back then. Unlike now, i recently started airing dramas namely City Hunter, Heartstrings, Myung-Wol the Spy, and Scent of a Woman which are good but i don't get to enjoy them for some reasons. And besides, i don't like discussions so what's the point of watching them ahead. After finishing the airing dramas i started, I'm going back to what I've practiced before. :D

It's funny because I've begun feeling the same way. Even those dramas which are very good have lost a little something for me - don't even know what this something is.
The last time I got truly obsessed with an airing drama was with Secret Garden, but at the time I marathoned through the first 9 episodes before catching up to the airing ones. And the discussion thread was so animated, amusing, quirky I hoped I could repeat the experience with other dramas and starting from episode 1. But the magic never repeated. (We had to open up a post-SG-Trauma-Group back at DramaCrazy, ROFL).

So, like you I'm contemplating the idea of going back to the... drama-blowout. ;)
I prefer completed ones, but if the drama are hilarious, i can't wait to watch it while it's airing.
I've only recently started to watch airing dramas - I started with Heartstrings and then Ouran Host Club and Scent Of A Woman. By the time I caught up on City Hunter the 2Oth episode was out but needed subbed haha.

wrote: Plus there's the probability that I'll end up watching some other drama waiting for the current one to air, and end up getting hooked to that one instead!

This has been happening to me haha, I've started watching other dramas in the middle of waiting for the next episodes to come out, and I'll get myself addicted to them (currently watching My Girlfriend Is A Gumiho and I love it haha), so by the time the next episode comes out, I'm not as excited? for it, or well when I watch it I tend to forget a little of what has already happened, or I won't be as into the show as it was when I first watched it. I think I'm going to start waiting until a lot of episodes come out (or it's completed) before I start on any newer currently airing dramas. The ones I'm watching now I'll continue, though.

wrote: But I also remember the thrill of my first marathons through already completed dramas, that feeling which makes you oblivious to everything around you except the story on screen. And I know many drama addicts who always wait until the show has come to an end before starting it.

I tend to prefer watching dramas this way, because once I get hooked onto a drama I fall into the story and I tend to love it more. There's also a lot of older shows I wanna watch (my plan to watch list is wayyyy too long). When I watch shows like these in the middle of the currently airing ones, I tend to lose some interest in them (not to say that they're bad - they're good shows, but waiting does suck and it's nice to watch something else while waiting)
A mixture of both. I love watching a drama at my own pace, and unfortunately currently airing dramas limit that.
But, at the same time, i also love discussing dramas with my friends and I rarely do that with completed shows. Overall, i'd have to pick Completed shows though.
It's a combination of both for me, and I think the main reason is because I love the total experience of being a fan. I believe that the fan experience is two-fold:

1) To be able to engage knowledgeably in discussion, you need a thorough understanding of the canon. Drama fandom is interesting in that there really isn't a canon, but rather a canonical archive. The components of this archive are: completed dramas; actors and their roles; directors and their works. Without knowledge of all three, it's difficult to engage in some of the conversations that goes on here on MDL, for example, and I find myself marathoning shows so that I can catch up to some and participate fully in this fandom.

2) The second aspect is what I consider the beating heart and living soul of fandom, and that is simply living in the moment of a particular fandom. Midnight releases of books; midnight premieres of movies; standing in line for days for the latest Apple gadget or video game---this is the lifeblood of fandom, and this is what makes fandom so much fun for me. I love watching a drama that's airing and knowing that another 23 year old in Guam is also anxiously waiting for the subtitles to be uploaded. I love coming onto MDL, reading everyone's thoughts and reviews of the latest episodes, and tossing in my own thoughts. I love feeling like a part of something big that connects me to people I would have never met, albeit virtually. Granted, my enthusiasm for a show can diminish a bit if it isn't very popular, but more often than not I think to myself that I've found a gem of a show that no one appreciates but me.

However, I lean more towards airing dramas for a more practical reason: it provides a natural stopping point, i.e. the limit of the episodes released and subbed, thus curbing my addiction for the moment.
andressa_forbellone wrote: It's a combination of both for me, and I think the main reason is because I love the total experience of being a fan. I believe that the fan experience is two-fold:

1) To be able to engage knowledgeably in discussion, you need a thorough understanding of the canon. Drama fandom is interesting in that there really isn't a canon, but rather a canonical archive. The components of this archive are: completed dramas; actors and their roles; directors and their works. Without knowledge of all three, it's difficult to engage in some of the conversations that goes on here on MDL, for example, and I find myself marathoning shows so that I can catch up to some and participate fully in this fandom.

2) The second aspect is what I consider the beating heart and living soul of fandom, and that is simply living in the moment of a particular fandom. Midnight releases of books; midnight premieres of movies; standing in line for days for the latest Apple gadget or video game---this is the lifeblood of fandom, and this is what makes fandom so much fun for me. I love watching a drama that's airing and knowing that another 23 year old in Guam is also anxiously waiting for the subtitles to be uploaded. I love coming onto MDL, reading everyone's thoughts and reviews of the latest episodes, and tossing in my own thoughts. I love feeling like a part of something big that connects me to people I would have never met, albeit virtually. Granted, my enthusiasm for a show can diminish a bit if it isn't very popular, but more often than not I think to myself that I've found a gem of a show that no one appreciates but me.

However, I lean more towards airing dramas for a more practical reason: it provides a natural stopping point, i.e. the limit of the episodes released and subbed, thus curbing my addiction for the moment.

Perfect! Beautifully put as always. When I first saw this poll I wished there was an "all of the above" option and I gave a very short answer because I do love both watching as they air (My first watch as it aired only began a few months back with Secret Garden) and watching dramas that are complete. (Hong Gil Dong marathonorama!). And the reasons why were all stuck in my brain until I read your post and thought, "this just sums it all up perfectly!"
For a while I was the biggest marathoner you could ever meet! Like if I start a drama Id lock myself in my room and not come out (except to eat and use the restroom of course LOL) until I finished the entire series. But lately I've been finding myself getting bored just watching one series at a time. So to combat that I watch 2-3 completed dramas at the same time.

Also though, this summer has had many exciting dramas that are airing. There's too many thats out that by the time thier completed it would take me a while to finish them especially since school will be in session when thier all finished so its just easier for me to watch them as they air each week. Its kind of exciting to me to have to wait till the next week for new eps. The ones that are airing that I'm watching are: Scent of a Woman, Heartstrings, Spy Myung Wol, Ikemen Ne Desu, Orun Club, Hana Kimi Remake, Zenkai Girl. See thats too many to have to wait for completion! Haha but i thinks its also fun to see everyones reactions to an ep so its also cool to participate in discussions of shows that are airing.

I think though, that I will still continue to marathon dramas but I have found a new appreciation for watching dramas as they air. So I'll probably do both half and half from now on...
I'm a marathoner XDD when it comes to drama XD