Marfi09:

Each has its own points.  You need to watch both at times.

Drama is  a must for romance with all its variation. Also for family moments and stuffs.

Anime is for fantasy and action. Although good anime= manga so its basically manga that I care about.

In terms of pure quality, anime(manga) is way better than drama. There are many classic and unique anime(manga) that can be considered as world class level. But I cant tell about even 1 drama(japan, korea, etc.) that is really good like  Game Of Throne or Inception level.

As someone said, there's a drama called tribes and empires airing right now that's trying to be like Game Of Thrones, and is actually pretty good from what I can tell.

Inception is a masterpiece scifi, that's something that essentially does not exist in drama. It's like scifi just not an asian thing, the few scifi dramas that do exist have really bad "science". So if you're looking to compare anything to Inception, then there's just no competition, but asian drama has other things to offer.

Nirvana In Fire is at least as good as Game of Thrones in my opinion, and does feel a bit similar too. Keep in mind people have different tastes, Game Of Thrones is one of those series that I thought was really good, but just simply could not get into.

You should really check out chinese drama before quickly concluding that anime has more masterpieces than anime, chinese drama didn't always use to be really good but recently there have been what most would consider masterpieces: Nirvana In Fire, Battle of Changsha.

Fans who only watch korean dramas will mention shows like Signal, which I think is good but overrated, and not a masterpiece. Then there's shows like goblin which barely has any substance to call a masterpiece. Maybe Reply 1988.

From Japan, there's probably 1 litre of tears and Tenno no Ryoriban.

I find it hard to believe you've found no "world class"/masterpiece drama. Have you seen a lot?

Of course, I can also name many anime/manga I believe are just as good as Game Of Thrones, so this isn't saying drama is better. if you see my earlier post, you'll know I actually believe the best anime is better than the best drama. That opinion is slowly fading though.

anime with it wonderfull art, dorama with the nice place and actors...

So, for me... both are good. I can;t compare them

its not one or the other for me, i have many that i love of each... it just depends on the story that is being told. 

I like drama because I like the fluffy romantic comedies.  I haven't found that many shoujo anime...I like anime, but dramas have plots that suit my tastes a little bit more.  I do adore manga though.  There just haven't been all that many that I read made into anime.  I did absolutely adore Ouran, and My Little Monster, Kamisama Kiss ect... the shoujo ish ones that have been done are the ones I liked the best.  

Drama now.  I don't watch many anime anymore.  Kind of out of my age bracket now.  I can't relate to many of them as they are targeted at younger audiences, though sometimes there are some gems, so I watch maybe 1 or 2 every other season.  Dramas cover more real-life topics and feature older characters.   I also like movies for this reason.  More interesting.

I prefer anime over J-Dramas, because of its amazing animation, they have an unique styles, such as anime characters having an large eyes and amazing and hilarious expression. Before getting into K-Drama, i watched a lot of anime on TV.

Known anime i watch anime are that of: Pokemon, Digimon (01, 02, Tamers, Frontier),  One Piece, Naruto, Naruto Shippuden,  Yu-Gi-Oh! (i hate the dubs that 4Kids/4K Media has done for it), Jewelpet, Tokyo Mew Mew, Blood+, Hell Girl, and more as far i know.

J-Drama is an terrible piece with bad quality, terrible cinematographer, and not focusing too much on romance at all.

I am currently watching few animes, the anime i am currently watching are that of: Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V, One Punch Man and Pokemon SM.

If I want sports and adventure, I watch anime. If I want slife of life, comedy and mystery, I watch drama. In the last couple of years I've been on a drama roll, I can't get out So lately I prefer drama. I think it is because I can connect more with the characters. With 10 episodes of 45 minutes I feel like I know them better than in a 75-100 episode anime. I suppose that is why One Piece is better imo in character development, since I've been watching them grow and mature in almost 800 episodes :)

I think it's all about personal taste and experiences. I grew up more of books than cartoons and anime and the very first dramas (that I interestingly watched) are mostly original screenplays so I'm not really into anime (except for Digimon). But for my girlfriend, she grew up with One Piece and had seen some average and below per live actions adaptations so when it comes to Japanese entertainment, we enjoy differently.

Objectively, I think what matter the most is the genre of original source (manga or light novel, etc.). Quality of drama adaptations relies mainly on the cast (e.g. Thamae Roman, Kenshin series). For Fantasy/Adventure themed like One Piece, Seven Deadly Sins, No Game No Life, Black Clover, no way live drama could give similar taste. Talking about Kenshin, live action is way much better not just because of cast but also by the available technology at the time of creation.

Honestly I really do like both

Here my MAL list https://myanimelist.net/animelist/OldAnimeLady 

Here's my MDL list : https://mydramalist.com/dramalist/OldAnimeLady

Nothing is going to be as good as the Manga, you can do things with animation better than LA, BUT sometimes its fun to see what they can do..Tokyo Ghoul anyone?

The common thing between Japanese dramas and Anime is the main theme is always bigger, especially if you compare it to dramas in other countries where the theme is all over the place. The key to it is Jdramas and Anime don't force romance, if it's about friendship then it is just friendship, if it's coming of age then it's only about growth. Now to compare anime to Jdramas is hard, but since I love Japanese culture and want to learn more about it then I'll stick to Jdramas, as anime tends to make things exaggerated.

Many anime are very artistic, with an interesting and unique style.  I'm not sure if I could say the same for J-dramas.  Are there any J-dramas that are as artistic as the anime listed below?

I'm not sure how to explain what I mean by "artistic", but here are some examples of artistic anime:
Mushishi
The Tatami Galaxy
Madoka Magica
Serial Experiments Lain
Mononoke
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Gankutsuou

There are some J-dramas that I love, for example Nodame Cantabile, GTO, 1 Litre of Tears, but I wouldn't put them in the "artistic" category.  Maybe Kazoku Game can be considered a little artistic, but I don't like it as much as my favorite anime series.

The best dramas that I've seen are Chinese (Nirvana in Fire, Scarlet Heart), but I wouldn't consider them to be artistic in the same way as the anime above.

mjf314:

Many anime are very artistic, with an interesting and unique style.  I'm not sure if I could say the same for J-dramas.  Are there any J-dramas that are as artistic as the anime listed below?

I'm not sure how to explain what I mean by "artistic", but here are some examples of artistic anime:
Mushishi
The Tatami Galaxy
Madoka Magica
Serial Experiments Lain
Mononoke
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Gankutsuou

There are some J-dramas that I love, for example Nodame Cantabile, GTO, 1 Litre of Tears, but I wouldn't put them in the "artistic" category.  Maybe Kazoku Game can be considered a little artistic, but I don't like it as much as my favorite anime series.

The best dramas that I've seen are Chinese (Nirvana in Fire, Scarlet Heart), but I wouldn't consider them to be artistic in the same way as the anime above.

You don't really define "artistic" but I'm going to assume your definition exists somewhere at the intersection of a. aesthetically pleasing and b. complex, non-conventional storytelling (so pretty much like music that's "for the arts not the charts") and recommend from there. Japan has so many of those... like so so so many. Your examples are all network jdramas which are commercially successful but not necessarily intended to be artistic. This is just what comes to mind for me, maybe check some of these out and see if anything fits what you're looking for:

Movies
- Little Forest: Summer & Autumn + Little Forest: Winter & Spring
- Tremble All You Want
- Anything done by Koreeda Hirokazu. Check Shoplifters, Our Little Sister, Like Father Like Son, Nobody Knows 

Dramas
- Anything done by Sakamoto Yuji. Check Quartet, anone, Soredemo, Ikite Yuku
- Dakara Watashi wa Oshimashita (plugging this cause I'm watching this now and it's just WOW)

Thanks for the recommendations.  Yes, that's a good explanation of what I mean by artistic.

I've seen 5 of those movies, and I agree that they're artistic.

Maybe I haven't watched enough J-dramas yet.  I'll check out your recommendations when I have a chance.

Love them both equally! 

I'm more into dramas but then I really like movies that are made from anime ^^