*The official ship name is a play on Haagen Dazs

WARNING: THIS DISCUSSION CONTAINS HEAVY SPOILERS.

I finished the drama the day the last episode aired, and I haven't watched it again. However, I did read most of the book. If you didn't know already, Yan Da is an original character from the drama, so she doesn't exist in the book.

In my opinion, it was unrealistic for Ying Kong Shi to have feelings for Yan Da (at least in season 1), because his cold and ruthless personality prevented him from having emotional attachment.

Let's look back at his childhood. 

Ying Kong Shi's past life and his birth were destined to be a tragedy. In the book, Lian Ji/Lotus created him with magic just to use him as a pawn. He was created using a sleet bird feather, red lotus petal, and cherry blossom petal. In the drama, Ying Kong Shi had been discriminated by his "father", who never loved Lian Ji. He was bullied and discriminated by his older half-siblings because he couldn't use magic, and the only person that treated him with kindness was Ka Suo. Shi did not care for any of his siblings that died in the Second Ice and Fire War. Furthermore, the Ice King even chose Shi to be sacrificed for the Deicide Sword!

Shi's harsh childhood had shaped his personality. He did not trust anyone other than Ka Suo and probably his mom. He wanted to become king so he could protect his brother. He killed anyone that got in his way or threatened Ka Suo's happiness. He took advantage of anyone that helped him.

That is where Yan Da's specialty comes in. Shi likes her as an individual, but only to a certain extent. Shi is able to relate himself to her because they had a similar childhood. Although he pretended to be a loyal servant, he still proved that she was different from others. Remember how he ordered Liao Jian to release her from imprisonment in the Bear Tribe, even though he could have just walked away and left her tortured there? And when she was caught as a spy in the City of Bladed Snow, not only did he let her go and not expose her, he also allowed her to hit him, not something that he would tolerate in normal circumstances. Also, he listened to Yan Da when she begged him not to kill her father. Shi had a soft spot for her.

WARNING: DO NOT READ FURTHER UNLESS YOU HAVE WATCHED EPISODE 62.

Having to choose between her family and Ying Kong Shi, she betrayed the Fire Tribe several times, but that was not enough to win his heart. Even during her last moments where she asked him whether he ever liked her, he friendzoned her. I was angry at first, but I thought it through now. Shi's cold and ruthless personality prevented him from having emotional attachment, so how can he have romance when he was blinded by bromance? To regard Yan Da as his "only friend" throughout the story was a big win. Out of all those people, he only trusted Yan Da, an enemy of Ka Suo. Calling her a friend meant that she had a very important place in his heart, placed under Ka Suo and Lian Ji. She taught Ying Kong Shi how to love. She taught him friendship. Those feelings may turn into romance one day, if only she was still alive.

So if you really hope to see their love blossom, then look forward to the modern day sequel, Ice Fantasy Destiny :D

He already said that he loves her in second season, too bad that she died again to protect him and they can't be together. They really had cute moments through the series, I never liked a relationship in asian dramas so much. 

I hope there will be 3rd season, cause 2nd one ends in a weird way again like there's still more to this story. Shi revived Yan Da once, maybe he will try to do so again, only if there comes an opportunity.  I kept seeing posts on youtube saying Alina Zhang (actress that plays Yan Da) said not be sad for Yan Da and Ying Kong Shi ending, cause they have a surprise. I got my hopes up xD

ArisuAmyFan:

He already said that he loves her in second season, too bad that she died again to protect him and they can't be together. They really had cute moments through the series, I never liked a relationship in asian dramas so much. 

I hope there will be 3rd season, cause 2nd one ends in a weird way again like there's still more to this story. Shi revived Yan Da once, maybe he will try to do so again, only if there comes an opportunity.  I kept seeing posts on youtube saying Alina Zhang (actress that plays Yan Da) said not be sad for Yan Da and Ying Kong Shi ending, cause they have a surprise. I got my hopes up xD

I don't think a third season is possible. Guo Jingming (author)'s fans are already pissed about how the drama changed so many details about the book (plot and othe tribes was expanded, and Li Luo changed from an Ice Tribe sorcerer to a human). Season 2 ruined their wonderful memories, and I don't think there is any plot left to film. The book ended with only two characters being alive.

Drama story was better imo, Li Luo being a human was much more interesting, she was badass and you could relate yourself to her more. Ying Kong Shi was much more likeable character. He was a manipulative and intelligent, still had morals and a good heart, while in the book he raped and murdered innocent people. And of course they added Yan Da's character which is my favorite. 

Season 2 ended in a confusing way, Ying Kong Shi meets his reincarnation, smiles at him and it ends. (Maybe I don't understand it cause I don't know Chinese, there's no subs) It's like a damn cliffhanger and there's something more. Meng said there was some kind of surprise on her instagram and never deleted the post. Maybe it's just my wishful thinking cause I personally loved the drama. Just the ending sucked, cause almost everyone died. I hate bad endings where there are unnecessary deaths.

ArisuAmyFan:

Drama story was better imo, Li Luo being a human was much more interesting, she was badass and you could relate yourself to her more. Ying Kong Shi was much more likeable character. He was a manipulative and intelligent, still had morals and a good heart, while in the book he raped and murdered innocent people. And of course they added Yan Da's character which is my favorite. 

Season 2 ended in a confusing way, Ying Kong Shi meets his reincarnation, smiles at him and it ends. (Maybe I don't understand it cause I don't know Chinese, there's no subs) It's like a damn cliffhanger and there's something more. Meng said there was some kind of surprise on her instagram and never deleted the post. Maybe it's just my wishful thinking cause I personally loved the drama. Just the ending sucked, cause almost everyone died. I hate bad endings where there are unnecessary deaths.

The original Ice Fantasy was depicted as mildly homosexual by many readers. That's the main reason why Guo Jingming's fans are pissed.

I agree with you how the plot and character changes were better, especially since all the main characters originally had silver hair so it's hard to differentiate. The only thing I didn't like was how the drama weakened Ka Suo. He was very strong and likeable in the book. It was also interesting how hundreds of years have passed in the book and Ka Suo watched Li Jing grow up.

I wouldn't even watch or read anything homosexual cause I'm not into that kind of stories. Brotherly relationship Ying Kong Shi has with Ka Suo in the drama is really touching and I loved it. They weakened Ka Suo yeah, the worst thing about him is that he always mops around when something bad happens and cries all the time. But at least he has Shi and Li Luo, strong characters that kind of back him up. He is such a kind hearted character though and it's amazing how he always trusts others no matter what. If all characters were strong there would be nobody to support and story would get boring probably xD 

As I said, I loved a lot of things about this drama, it's the first one that I watched with curiousity until the end without getting bored on the way. It keeps you captivated for almost all the time. That's why I'm so pissed at those deaths, cause I got emotionally attached to almost all characters. I wish they would make them alive again somehow. Especially Yan Da, that girl is gold and she didn't deserved dying twice. Her whole life was just suffering, her childhood was worse than Shi's cause she didn't even had anyone to support her. And in all of this she grew up to be a decent and strong character.

There's so many unanswered questions in this drama. They never explained anything about ice-flame tribe. Where did they came from, was there more of them in the past? Why Yuan Ji was the only one left? What happened to Shi at the end, where is he? Why his reincarnation appeared ? I can go on and on xD

kookiejamz:
Guo Jingming (author)'s fans are already pissed about how the drama changed so many details about the book

lmao i think they know Guo JingMing had a hand in that