Nice to meet you, call me Horsepen! My title states it all, but I love watching interesting movies! Neo noir, arthouse, independent especially. My profile details a couple of my favorite films and dramas.  If you have any recommendations based on my likes, definitely let me know :)

Some of my favorite dramas include:
Secret Forest (Korea, 2017)
Saikou no Rikon (Japan 2013)
Prison Playbook (Korea, 2017)

And some of my favorite movies include:
Black Coal, Thin Ice (China, 2014)
Memories of Murder (Korea, 2003)
Oasis (Korea, 2002)
Yokomichi Yonosuke (Japan, 2013)
Last Life in the Universe (Thailand, Japan 2003)

I'm watching a ton of stuff right now, some of which I really like such as Prison Playbook (Korea), Money Flower (Korea), Terrace House Opening New Doors (Japan), Unnatural (Japan), and Anone (Japan). I haven't found a c-drama that quite fits the bill for me in terms of interests yet, but open to suggestions. I do love a good old corny j or kdrama.  I enjoy well crafted films and shows, but I also have a special place in my heart for the cutesy cliche ridden (but well done) dramas like Hard Nuts!! (Japan) and Fated to Love You (Korea), probably due to reading so many shoujo manga over the years.  

私は日本語が分かるし、もしあなたも字幕なしの新ドラマを観ていれば、ぜひ気軽に連絡してください!繋がりたいです~

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome and good luck with the search. China is producing a lot of webdramas these days so I would look at those over the big budget made for TV stuff.

Knavery:

Welcome and good luck with the search. China is producing a lot of webdramas these days so I would look at those over the big budget made for TV stuff.

Thanks, I will try that!

First off, I would like to extend a warm welcome to you and hope that you enjoy your time here.

Second, great taste!

As for recommendations based on what you like, you seem to enjoy dramas/movies centered on investigations/criminal cases so for Chinese Dramas I would suggest you keep a lookout for Burning Ice, Tientsin Mystic and Day and Night. Unfortunately, they don't have English subs at the moment if you need them but Netflix has acquired the rights to them so be on the lookout in the near future.

I am more knowledgeable about films from China/Taiwan/Hong Kong so my recommendations will lean heavy to these places.

I too like Black Coal, Thin Ice and have been meaning to watch Memories of Murder. I suggest you check out Looming Storm. It's suppose to be similar to Black Coal, Thin Ice (same producer as well). As for other Chinese movies, I would recommend A Touch of Sin, Devils on the Doorstep, Kaili Blues and Chongqing Hot Pot based on your tastes. For romance films, I suggest Wong Kar Wai if you haven't already watched his films, especially Chungking Express, Fallen Angels and In the Mood for Love. A recent Chinese drama that fits the "cutesy" but well done (at least in my opinion for the most part) is A Love So Beautiful which is quite popular at the moment.

Hopefully you find something that you like in what I mentioned above, if you need anymore recommendations (that is if you do like what I recommend..), don't be afraid to ask!

Hello, horsepen! Welcome to MDL. I hope you enjoy your time on here.

I haven't watched any of the dramas or films you listed as your favorite (although I'm planning to watch Prison Playbook very soon), so unfortunately, I can't recommend any dramas or films that would align with your taste. However, Jay observed that "you seem to enjoy dramas/movies centered on investigations/criminal cases." If that's so, I would recommend the Korean drama Signal. It's centered around a detective who discovers an old walkie-talkie and uses it to communicate to a detective from the past. Joined by a third detective, the three of them work together to solve cold cases and disclose police corruption. 

Additionally, I believe you mentioned you enjoy watching corny dramas. I would recommend the airing Korean drama I'm Not A Robot. It's an adorable drama filled with cute, weird, silly, corny, and cringe-worthy moments. 

I hope you find something you like!

It won't let me quote long posts, it says.  But @Jay and @exe , thank you both for your welcome and recommendations!  Yes I've just put Burning Ice and Kaili Blues in my watch list, as I have been using Letterboxd for keeping up with movies.  I'm glad this site has dramas (though it doesn't have non-Asian movies), which is why I decided to sign up.  Thanks Jay for your many recommendations, I definitely do like a good crime case thriller!   I have had Wong Kar Wai's films in my watchlist for a while as I know they are well-known for being great examples of modern Chinese cinema, I suppose I need to bump them up the list now! I will add the others you recommended, thanks again!  Thanks Exe, I appreciate your recs! I have watched the first few episodes of I am not a robot, it's quite funny! I haven't watched Signal, though I've seen the trailer, so I'll check it out!

Hi welcome to MDL :) Two of my favourite Arthouse Film directors are Wong Kar-Wai and Kim Ki-Duk. I can recommend the following:

3-Iron - (Kim Ki-Duk)

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring- (Kim Ki-Duk)

In The Mood For Love - (Wong Kar-Wai)

2046 - (Wong Kar-Wai)

Happy Together - (Wong Kar-Wai)

Hope you have fun here exploring dramas and films :)

Hello Horsepen, I'm also really interesting about independant asian movies since few years.

In regards to chinese movies I mostly know social movies, so if you prefer thriller movies it wouldn't fit !

My favorites chinese movies are :

- a touch of sin and Shān Hé Gù Rén by Jia ZhangKe (I second Jay, one of the best chinese director of the moment).

- Mystery by Lou Ye (drama, life)

- Memory of Love by Wang Chao (drama, romance)

- Nanjing, Nanjing by Lu Chuan (war, really sad)

- And more classic, Red Sorghum and the story of Qiu Jiu by Zhang Yimou.

I hope you will find your hapiness, if you know good chinese thriller movies don't hesitate to share ;)

Winnie:

Hi welcome to MDL :) Two of my favourite Arthouse Film directors are Wong Kar-Wai and Kim Ki-Duk. I can recommend the following:

3-Iron - (Kim Ki-Duk)

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring- (Kim Ki-Duk)

In The Mood For Love - (Wong Kar-Wai)

2046 - (Wong Kar-Wai)

Happy Together - (Wong Kar-Wai)

Hope you have fun here exploring dramas and films :)

Thanks for the welcome and recommendations.  I will check them out! 

Fati:

Hello Horsepen, I'm also really interesting about independant asian movies since few years.

In regards to chinese movies I mostly know social movies, so if you prefer thriller movies it wouldn't fit !

My favorites chinese movies are :

- a touch of sin and Shān Hé Gù Rén by Jia ZhangKe (I second Jay, one of the best chinese director of the moment).

- Mystery by Lou Ye (drama, life)

- Memory of Love by Wang Chao (drama, romance)

- Nanjing, Nanjing by Lu Chuan (war, really sad)

- And more classic, Red Sorghum and the story of Qiu Jiu by Zhang Yimou.

I hope you will find your hapiness, if you know good chinese thriller movies don't hesitate to share ;)

Thanks for all the recommendations! I will definitely be putting these on my watchlist! If I come across some I will share! 

I like how you describe your diverse tastes, if I were to create a thread like this it would be like: "Lover of Korean/Chinese/Japanese/English Drama/Movie/Music/Culture", or something crazy thing like that!