~ The MDL Asadora Discussion Thread ~

Hi guys, let's use this thread to discuss absolutely everything about Asadoras!

Renzoku Terebi Shousetsu ("serial TV novel"), also known as asadora ("Morning Drama"), is a serialized Japanese television drama programs series broadcast in the mornings by Japanese public broadcaster NHK. The asadora started in 1961 with the black-and-white 'A Daughter and Me' (Musume to Watashi), starring Takeshi Kitazawa. Today, works in the first half of the year are produced by the NHK Tokyo Broadcasting station and works in the second half of the year are produced by the NHK Osaka Broadcasting station.

Asadora currently airs in Japan Monday through Saturday morning on NHK General TV from 8:00 to 8:15, with a rebroadcast the same day from 12:45 to 13:00. The asadora have become some of the most popular shows on Japanese television, with series such as Oshin, earning an overall 52.6-percent ratings for the series.

Virtually all of the storylines center on the life of a female  heroine who faces challenges while working to achieve her dreams. The  heroine is chosen by NHK through an audition that involves interviews  with several thousand applicants. The winning actress not only stars in  an asadora, but also becomes a spokeswoman for NHK, and is usually involved in NHK-sponsored events—including the annual Kouhaku Uta Gassen New Year's Eve event. Often, the asadora serves as a springboard for  the actress to bigger and better opportunities within the Japanese  entertainment industry. - wiki

Fun facts:

• Each Asadora centers on the life of a female heroine who faces challenges while working to achieve her dream (and that is the main theme of the drama).
  • Two Asadoras are released per one year.
  • Each episode is broadcast 2x daily and lasts only 15 minutes.
  • All protagonists are female, except for 9 Asadoras with male leads - Hashiran ka!, Romansu, Kokoru wa itsumo ramune-iro, Tabiji, Tamayura, Akatsuki, Musume to Watashi,  Ranman, and Yell .
  • Welkame is the lowest rated Asadora to this date (13.5%).
  • Oshin is the highest rated Asadora to this date (62.9%).
  • Asadoras do not have to be only historical, they can be contemporary too.
  • Some of the Asadoras are based on true events and real historical figures. 

THE LIST OF ALL ASADORAS

Tora ni 
Tsubasa

110th (2024)

Bugiugi

109th (2023)

lawyer
singer

Ranman

108th (2023)

Mai Agare!

107th (2022)

Chimudondon

106th (2022)

Come Come 
Everybody

105th (2021)
botanist
*male protagonist
pilot
chef
radio teachers

Okaeri Mone

104th (2021)

Ochoyan

103rd (2020)

Yell

102th (2020)

Scarlet

101th (2019)
weather
 forecaster
actress
composer
*male protagonist
ceramics artist

Natsuzora

100th (2019)

Manpuku

99th (2018)

Hanbun, aoi.

98th (2018)

Warotenka 

97th (2017)
animator
inventor of instant noodles
cartoonist  
comedy/theater 
96th (2017)
95th (2016)
94th (2016)
93th (2015)
restaurant (?)a designer for children's clothesfemale magazinea businesswoman
92nd (2015)
91st (2014)
90th (2014)
89th (2013)
a pâtissièredistillerya translatorJapanese cuisine
88th (2013)
87th (2012)
86th (2012)
85th (2011)
diving / an idolhotel managera doctora fashion designer
84th (2011)
83rd (2010)
82nd (2010)
81st (2009)
a school teacherokonomiyaki makera manga artista magazine editor
80th (2009)
79th (2008)
78th (2008)
77th (2007)
radio / DJa musician / geishaa dancera rakugoka
76th (2007)
75th (2006)
74th (2006)
73rd (2005)
a ryokan managera novelista jazz pianista travel agent
72nd (2005)
71st (2004)
70th (2004)
69th (2003)
?gardeninga nursebread baking
68th (2003)
67th (2002)
66th (2002)
65th (2001)
a flight attendanta meteorologista school teachera chef
64th (2001)
63rd (2000)
62nd (2000)
61st (1999)
a nursean actressa single mothera wagashi maker
60th (1999)
59th (1998)
58th (1998)
57th (1997)
the Japanese railroada shipbuilding companya carpentera sake brewer
56th (1997)
55th (1996)
54th (1996)
53th (1995)
a beauty stylista shogi playera lawyera rock musician
* male protagonist

Haruyo, Koi

52nd (1995)

Piano

51st (1994)

Karin

50th (1994)

Eenyobo

49th (1993)
a screenwritera children book writera miso makera doctor

Hirari

48th (1992)

Onna wa Dokyo

47th (1992)

Kimi no Na wa

46th (1991)

Kyo, Futari

45th (1990)
a nutritionisthot springsWW2 air raidstsukemono store 

Rinrinto

44th (1990)

Wakko no Kinmedaru

43rd (1989)

Seishun Kazoku

42nd (1989)

Jun-chan no Ouen-ka

41st (1988)
development of TVa volleyball player??

Non-chan no Yume

40th (1988)

Hassai-sensei

39th (1987)

Chotchan

38th (1987)

Miyako no Kaze

37th (1986)
a magazinea teacherBased on Tetsuko Kuroyanagi's moma ryokan manager

Hanekonma

36th (1986)

Ichiban Daiko

35th (1985)

Mio Tsukushi 

34th (1985)

Kokoru wa itsumo ramune-iro

33rd (1984)
a reportertheater
*male protagonist
?manzai 
*male protagonist

Romansu

32nd (1984)

Oshin

31st (1983)

Youi don

30th (1982)

Haikara-san

29th (1982)
a film director*male protagonistvariousa marathon runnerhotel

Honjitsu mo Seiten Nari

28th (1981)

Mansaku no Hana

27th (1981)

Niji o Oru

26th (1980)

Natchan no Shashinkan

25th (1980)
a radio anouncer? Takarazuka Revuea photographer

Ayu no Uta

24th (1979)

Ma-ne-chan

23rd (1979)

Watashi wa Umi

22nd (1978)

Otei-chan

21st (1978)
fishing porta manga artistwar orphansSadako Sawamura 

Kazamidori

20th (1977)

Ichibanboshi

19th (1977)

Hi no Kuni ni

18th (1976)

Kumo no Jutan

17th (1976)
bakerya singera landscape gardener 
a pilot

Ohayousan

16th (1975)

Mizuiro no Toki

15th (1975)

Hatoko no Umi

14th (1974)

Kita no Kazoku

13th (1973)
an office workera doctoramnesia a coming of age

Ai Yori Aoku

12th (1972)

Mayuko Hitori

11th (1971)

Niji

10th (1970)

Nobuko to Obachan

9th (1969)
a businesswomanagriculturewar strugglesa life with grandma

Ashita koso

8th (1968)

Tabiji

7th (1967)

Ohanahan

6th (1966)

Tamayura

5th (1965)
a family dramaa national railroadthe Meiji eraa traveler
*male protagonist

Uzushio

4th (1964)

Akatsuki

3rd (1963)

Ashita no Kaze

2nd (1962)

Musume to Watashi

1st (1961)
povertya professor
*male protagonist
family lifefamily life
*male protagonist

Articles:

Introducing Japanese Morning Dramas by Hanna
Top 10 Favorite Asadora Heroines by Oricon

Why do you like Asadoras? Which ones are your favorites?

Wow it's so awesome to have a forum like this! Thank you @Ceki!

Of course, I love Asadoras haha

Doesn't everyone think it's odd that they announced Hirose Suzu for the 100th Asadora but they still haven't  announced anyone for the 99th? Especially since they'll definitely need to start filming in April or May to be ready for October. It seems very disorganized and frankly it's a bit frustrating, as if Manpuku is already less of a priority than Natsuzora. Poor Manpuku :(

I think Iitoyo Marie, Sugusaki Hana, Matsumoto Honoka, Taira Yuna, and Kuroshima Yuina are the actresses with the best chance of getting a leading role, due to factors like age, current popularity, and recent projects. 

Hanna:
Doesn't everyone think it's odd that they announced Hirose Suzu for the 100th Asadora but they still haven't announced anyone for the 99th? Especially since they'll definitely need to start filming in April or May to be ready for October. It seems very disorganized and frankly it's a bit frustrating, as if Manpuku is already less of a priority than Natsuzora. Poor Manpuku :(

Here's why: https://doramaworld.blogspot.rs/2017/12/hirose-suzu-to-be-heroine-of-nhks-100th.html

It's got something to do with reforms, not sure if that's true or they're just hiding the real reason.

Hanna:

Wow it's so awesome to have a forum like this! Thank you @Ceki!

Of course, I love Asadoras haha

Doesn't everyone think it's odd that they announced Hirose Suzu for the 100th Asadora but they still haven't  announced anyone for the 99th? Especially since they'll definitely need to start filming in April or May to be ready for October. It seems very disorganized and frankly it's a bit frustrating, as if Manpuku is already less of a priority than Natsuzora. Poor Manpuku :(

I think Iitoyo Marie, Sugusaki Hana, Matsumoto Honoka, Taira Yuna, and Kuroshima Yuina are the actresses with the best chance of getting a leading role, due to factors like age, current popularity, and recent projects. 

No, not at all.  Very disorganized is way exaggerating word imo - and it's not like nhk handle this stuff just yesterday

I would love they'll cast ryoko fujino in the future. The kid has so much potential, even beyond hana sugisaki, imo

Fujino Ryoko was good in Hiyokko but she's still really young. Hopefully she can gain more experience and return to Asadoras in a few years like how Tsuchiya Tao was in two Asadoras (Ohisama and Hanakoto Anne) before finally getting to lead one. 

Also! More supporting cast for the 98th Asadora Hanbun Aoi was announced today: Toyokawa Etsushi, Igawa Haruka, Seino Nana, Shison Jun, Nakamura Tomoya, and Furuhata Seika. (source) Lots of veterans and really busy young actors! Hard to believe they could fit an Asadora into their schedule, especially Shison Jun since he's been everywhere lately. Only a few more months left to wait! 

Love all the infomation about Asadoras. I'm always on the look out to watch more of them. Thanks for the hard work and updates (^_^)

Wow Ceki, Thanks a lot! I got into Asadora lately and became very addicted. I just finished Gegege no Nyobo and looking for other interesting Asadora. Thanks!

Maria Angela Yanita:

Wow Ceki, Thanks a lot! I got into Asadora lately and became very addicted. I just finished Gegege no Nyobo and looking for other interesting Asadora. Thanks!

Winnie:

Love all the infomation about Asadoras. I'm always on the look out to watch more of them. Thanks for the hard work and updates (^_^)

You're welcome guys :) I'll try to keep the first post updated as regularly as I can :) Feel free to post here your opinions as you watch dramas.

So far, I had finished 3 asadora: Mare, Amachan, and Gegege no Nyobo. Compare to other typical J drama, asadora has better plot and real character growth. 

yay.... I dont know this discussion exist ... XD

asadora is very underrated and undervalued. I hope many many more people will give them a try, because asadoras just so ... wonderful XD

I want asadora with mayu matsuoka; or in maybe next 3 years... hamabe minami and kaya kiyohara ...

Oh, and pls make a semi musical asadora like amachan with sakurako ohara or sakura fujiwara as heroine :D

We dont have musical asadora for quite a while

Simplifica:

Oh, and pls make a semi musical asadora like amachan with sakurako ohara or sakura fujiwara as heroine :D

Wow I would loveeee another musical asadora! And those actresses you suggested are so awesome: Sakurako is one of my favourite female soloists and she's a greta actress too!
I can't help but think that Hashimoto Kanna would be so perfect for something like that too! I loved her in Rev. from DVL and was so sad when she stopped being an idol.  She's gained a lot of popularity lately and is only 18 right now...so by the time the 101st Asadora rolled around she would be 20/21 which is the NHK's favourite casting age haha
It would really be a dream come true for me if that could really happen... now I'm definitely going to get my hopes up... sigh ????

Updates on Hanbun Aoi :D

Sato Takeru :D http://www6.nhk.or.jp/nhkpr/post/preview.html?i=13118

I want romance!!!!

I think asadora must be really good. But its too lengthy and my Japanese is lacking. However... this is a super asadora OP.

Simplifica:

yay.... I dont know this discussion exist ... XD

asadora is very underrated and undervalued. I hope many many more people will give them a try, because asadoras just so ... wonderful XD

I want asadora with mayu matsuoka; or in maybe next 3 years... hamabe minami and kaya kiyohara ...

lol amachan was fantastic. 

Manpuku's heroine has been announced! It's Ando Sakura! (source)

(from the press conference today!)
I'm really surprised, since I'm pretty sure 2006 was the last time we had a heroine over 30!
But I'm really happy for her! And she just had a baby in the summer!
I'm not so familiar with her previous works... has anyone seen any of her movies or dramas?