I'm a big fan of Japanese movies and dramas. What I love most is that regarding human relationship, they are the warmest. I mean I really love to see people so dedicated to their family members, friends, and beloved ones. Sometimes, it is a tragic story (like one litre of tears), sometimes it's a happy one (8-year engagement or our little sister), but anyway, they are so warm, such that they give my motivation and hope for the future.

Anyway, I'd like to share my thoughts and feelings on Jdramas with people of like interests, but I'm not sure where the best place for that  is. So, any suggestions and recommendations is welcomed massively!

Hi, there are several ways to do that.

1. Create a new thread in this forum with a title like "INSERT_TITLE discussion" or something.

Pro: It could be linked back from the drama info page

Cons: There's possibility of few participation (or none) due to low number of watchers...or it could be members don't want to get involve due to potential spoiler if the drama is currently airing.

2. Create a review (make sure to put spoiler warning if it contains any of it)

Pro: More easier to express yourself about the particular drama and every time people visit drama page they can access that review...

Cons: Not everyone wants to read reviews, especially if they have watched the drama some times ago....

3. Write a review on your own blog or livejournal

Pro: Could express your opinion further by adding images or gifs to the reviews...no space limitations so you could write in depth reviews

Cons: Need to advertise you blog to attract visitors

4. Write comprehensive comments on drama info page with spoiler tag if needed

Pro: Much easier to be seen by other members

Cons: Not everyone read or reply to comments....if you're late to the drama the party might be over...and people usually won't read longer comment...

5. Create a post on MDL Feed with spoiler tag if needed

Pro: More easier to reach audience as most members prefer the feed over forum.

Cons: Most members on feed don't watch Jdrama

Thank you very much for the detail and comprehensive answer. I think I start something in this forum, hopefully I'll find some people to discuss things.

The kind of discussion I'd like is something like this: Why does the  drama series, Mother (2011) end this way? What does this tell us about Japanese culture? And so on and so forth. As I'm really into some aspects of the Japanese culture, I want to share my ideas and hopefully learn more about it. I don't know whether people here like this kind of talk, but I'll give it a try, as it is about Japan, it is worth it!

Again, thanks a lot:)

Well for something more specific like that, forum might be the right place. As long as it's a most watched drama, I think you would receive some replies. Just remember to put spoiler warning on the title though.

PS: I would love to have a discussion about the culture too!

TimiZero:

Well for something more specific like that, forum might be the right place. As long as it's a most watched drama, I think you would receive some replies. Just remember to put spoiler warning on the title though.

PS: I would love to have a discussion about the culture too!

I'm happy to hear that. I'm kind of busy right now, but try to write my ideas on Mother (2011) soon. My thesis is that there is a tendency in Japanese culture to treasure enduring pain and suffering for  valuable things. Many times, this creates the most beautiful and deepest human relationships, but sometimes, it seems that they endure pain  just for the sake of suffering, as tough it's some valuable by itself. I mean it's totally uncalled for, so it's more of machoism. I really love Mother (2011), but to me, the ending doesn't make any sense, unless you know this aspect of the Japanese culture. I'll write in more details later. And surely, I'll the spoiler warning to it:)

faarian:
I really love Mother (2011), but to me, the ending doesn't make any sense, unless you know this aspect of the Japanese culture.

Actually, if i remember correctly there was a discussion about the ending some time ago on daddicts... which in my opinion have answered some of the questions.

Your view on machoism part is true too as far as the popular culture goes...i.e. in movies and dramas....but I wonder if it's really the case in reality. So, I can't wait for your writing on it!

I think this forum is a great place for you to have this type of discussion.   I'm sorry I have not watched Mother.   What is so wonderful about Japanese drama and film is that they so many times they do reflect real life so well.  And in real life there are just so many circumstances where there is no good answer, there is no happy ending.  

As far as culture goes, the very best way to understand is to ask a Japanese person.  However, I married into Japanese culture and even after many years some things remain opaque to me. 

I encourage you to post and share your ideas.

TimiZero:

Actually, if i remember correctly there was a discussion about the ending some time ago on daddicts... which in my opinion have answered some of the questions.

Your view on machoism part is true too as far as the popular culture goes...i.e. in movies and dramas....but I wonder if it's really the case in reality. So, I can't wait for your writing on it!

In fact, I didn't know anything about daddicts, but as you mentioned it, I googled and found this thread on the series. It seems to be the one you meant, doesn't it? I'm reading it to make sure I don't miss something important, thanks!

My knowledge of Japanese society is limited. Years ago, I had some Japanese and non-Japanese friends online gathering around J-league (their soccer league). I found the atmosphere super-friendly and welcoming. In fact, I was really impressed by everything: their planning, players, fans, ... So, that left me with a really good impression. And recently, as I started to watch Japanese movies and series, I find them really warm and lovable, so I've become a big fan, as far as my limited experience allows me. Regarding your last point,  I'm not sure how exactly the reality is, but tend to think that these movies and series more or less reflect things from their society. Hopefully, at some point, I'll  gain some first-hand experience of the society, maybe by living there for some good time or even better by finding a cute and kind Japanese girl:)

bubblytea:

I think this forum is a great place for you to have this type of discussion.   I'm sorry I have not watched Mother.   What is so wonderful about Japanese drama and film is that they so many times they do reflect real life so well.  And in real life there are just so many circumstances where there is no good answer, there is no happy ending.  

As far as culture goes, the very best way to understand is to ask a Japanese person.  However, I married into Japanese culture and even after many years some things remain opaque to me. 

I encourage you to post and share your ideas.

That's right. What I find amazing is that they are capable of creating beauty in the most tragic and painful situations. In fact, I always think that humans can create the most beautiful and valuable things when all the world is against them. One Litre of Tears (2005) is a good example of this.

So, I've no complain about sad endings. Since I'm kind of too emotional, I'm not ready to watch this kind of films all the time, but I know that the problem is with me, not the movies which reflect an important part of reality.
My point about Mother (2011) is that its sad and painful ending is totally uncalled for.
I'll try to write as soon as possible, thank you very much for the encouragement!

faarian:
I googled and found this thread on the series. It seems to be the one you meant, doesn't it?

Oh I can't confirm, but I guess that must be it....after all it is a 9 years old thread...haha. At that time I was just a silent reader (not bother to register at that time). But, daddicts was kind of lively place than it is today. People will talk about drama when it's airing, episode by episode with speculation and prediction... So it's more than enough to just sit there and read all those interesting comments. xD

know any other jdrama forums than jdorama.com? cant register there

Ichika Kaneki :

know any other jdrama forums than jdorama.com? cant register there

As far as I know, there were some forums active in the past but not now. Aside from them, there is a semi-active subreddit on J-dorama :

https://www.reddit.com/r/JDorama/

But I think the most active place for discussing J-dorama is just here: MDL Feeds!

faarian:

As far as I know, there were some forums active in the past but not now. Aside from them, there is a semi-active subreddit on J-dorama :

https://www.reddit.com/r/JDorama/

But I think the most active place for discussing J-dorama is just here: MDL Feeds!

yeah i know the reddit one. thanks man. ever since lockdown ive spent my entire time on reddit , mdl and mal