mj_babec358:

Does anyone have recommendations for more Japanese dramas like Ouroboros, but with no romance? So like crime, mystery, investigation, plot twists, etc?

• Border (2014) – A detective who can see the dead solves cases using their testimonies. It has a dark, psychological tone like Ouroboros.

• SPEC (2010) – A mystery/sci-fi drama where detectives investigate special individuals with supernatural powers, blending crime with supernatural elements.

• Kazoku Game (2013) – A thriller where a tutor is hired to help a troubled student, but his unconventional and often disturbing methods reveal deeper family secrets.

• Mr. Brain (2009) – Follows a neuroscientist who helps the police solve crimes by analyzing the human brain. The drama blends crime-solving with science.

Mitanshi Kumari:
I would love to join! Although I haven't watched many J-dramas, can I still participate?

When you join a challenge, you need to watch new dramas which fit the prompts (those you've already seen cannot be used unless you rewatch them). So it doesn't matter how many dramas you've seen so far as challenges are there to make you watch more dramas and help you step outside of your comfort zone :)

Thyella:

Having it ready at the beginning if next year should be enough, rigght? That's when most watch challenges start and I feel it'll get less attention if we start it randomly during the year.

Just a suggestion. It's your work after all :)

Hmmm, that's a good point you make. I'm fairly new to the MDL world so idk how things work very well. I didn't really consider the *when* since I wasn't planning on it being a yearly challenge but rather one of those perpetually ongoing ones, haha. Probably best to wait until next year then, gives us more time to polish it too! Thanks for the input! 

Mitanshi Kumari:
I would love to join! Although I haven't watched many J-dramas, can I still participate? The ones I remember watching are Silent, Trillion Game, Takara-kun to Amagi-kun, Kieta Hatsukoi, Senpai, This Can’t Be Love, Ameiro Paradox, Minato Shouji Coin Laundry, and Old Fashion Cupcake.

I haven't watched many Jdramas either. I think we've watched about the same number of 'em, haha. Welcome to the club!

Jelena Petrovic:

When you join a challenge, you need to watch new dramas which fit the prompts (those you've already seen cannot be used unless you rewatch them). So it doesn't matter how many dramas you've seen so far as challenges are there to make you watch more dramas and help you step outside of your comfort zone :)

Ok so how exactly I can participate in a challenge? I'm also new in MDL

Mitanshi Kumari:

A new forum thread will probably be created for this watch challenge and you just need to make a post within that thread which you will update with dramas you watch and find fitting for prompts. Here's an example of what it looks like for the Thai watch challenge https://mydramalist.com/discussions/thai-dramas-lakorns-movies/122203-thai-watch-challenge-2024?pid=2922129&page=1 .

Mitanshi Kumari:
  • Border (2014) – A detective who can see the dead solves cases using their testimonies. It has a dark, psychological tone like Ouroboros.

• SPEC (2010) – A mystery/sci-fi drama where detectives investigate special individuals with supernatural powers, blending crime with supernatural elements.

• Kazoku Game (2013) – A thriller where a tutor is hired to help a troubled student, but his unconventional and often disturbing methods reveal deeper family secrets.

• Mr. Brain (2009) – Follows a neuroscientist who helps the police solve crimes by analyzing the human brain. The drama blends crime-solving with science.

These sound awesome, thanks!

Arclei:
I also reorganized it a bit and I think it flows better ! 

It looks great now! <3 A question about rules. Will participants have to complete all prompts within a level to be able to get to next level? I'm asking because I'm not sure how easy it is to find subbed doramas/movies from the 19th century. I was just trying to find a subbed Filipino title to watch and it's similar in difficulty as Japan. xD 

I agree that starting it at the beginning of 2025 would be best as it will gain more attention at that time and it gives enough time to prepare and also get some badges done. I'll ask Rien to include the Dorama Challenge in her badge portfolio once the official title of the challenge is decided. I can make a couple badges as well. Custom wishes for certain titles, actors/actresses or motives are possible. Here's an example of badges I made for the Japanese Dorama Club: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/japanese-drama-movies/66595-japanese-dorama-club?pid=3047699&page=33#p3047699 

Mitanshi Kumari:

Like Jelena said, each challenge has their own thread. There you can find an explanation for the challenge and what you need to do to participate. Usually it's a form and the prompts that you fill out (the prompts are filled throughout the year as you watch dramas, movies etc for the challenge, when you completed a title for a specific prompt you add the titles name to the prompt and so on) 

There are challenges that are done yearly and there are challenges that are not tied to a year and can be completed at your own pace. For a complete list see this post, Rien has made a list for MDL challenges and clubs: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/creativity-forum/69619-badges-banners?page=1

JulyMoon:

It looks great now! <3 A question about rules. Will participants have to complete all prompts within a level to be able to get to next level? I'm asking because I'm not sure how easy it is to find subbed doramas/movies from the 19th century. I was just trying to find a subbed Filipino title to watch and it's similar in difficulty as Japan. xD 

I agree that starting it at the beginning of 2025 would be best as it will gain more attention at that time and it gives enough time to prepare and also get some badges done. I'll ask Rien to include the Dorama Challenge in her badge portfolio once the official title of the challenge is decided. I can make a couple badges as well. Custom wishes for certain titles, actors/actresses or motives are possible. Here's an example of badges I made for the Japanese Dorama Club: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/japanese-drama-movies/66595-japanese-dorama-club?pid=3047699&page=33#p3047699 

My idea is to let participants pick however many prompts/sections they wanna complete per level and modify/mix and match 'em to their preference (Levels are more like waves, which I only named 'level' because they kinda get harder/more specific as they go along, but one could do, say, level 4 and no other and still participate, if that makes sense). After all, it's meant to be fun, and not everyone might wanna do every prompt (or like you said, be able to, for that matter). I'll be sure to clarify this in the explanation, tho. Good point you brought up!

I did find some old subbed jmovies on Youtube of all places (none from the 19th century tho, the oldest is from 1929) I'll add the link to the prompt and/or a table of contents. I put 1890-1989 specifically because that's how far back MDL's year search goes and I don't wanna limit anyone who happens to find a subbed drama/movie from that time and wants to use it for the challenge, LMAO

2025 it is then! I appreciate all your help, and getting custom badges would indeed be very cool!!! (love your badges, btw) I'm unsure about the name too, tbh... 'Dorama' refers to only dramas, as far as I know, so maybe something simple like "Japanese Watch Challenge"? I'm open to ideas though.

I would also like to join please!!!