@liddi

Glad to help. Thank you Lidi.

I wonder what's the meaning of "lovers" bugs în chinese. In english as far as I am aware the term lovers implies a romantic connection between two people, regardless if the pair is a couple or not, but how about în chinese? It holds the same interpretation? I had read something on the jing's forum about the lovers bugs being able to also get planted în family or/and friends which IMO îs ridiculous to say the least. 

blabla100:

I wonder what's the meaning of "lovers" bugs în chinese. In english as far as I am aware the term lovers implies a romantic connection between two people, regardless if the pair is a couple or not, but how about în chinese? It holds the same interpretation? I had read something on the jing's forum about the lovers bugs being able to also get planted în family or/and friends which IMO îs ridiculous to say the least. 

The novel refers to it as 情人蛊. 

情人 literally means lovers in the romantic sense - there is no ambiguity there. 

蛊 refers to a poisonous bug, often used in witchcraft.

So the lovers bug 情人蛊 is unequivocally meant for a couple who are in love with one another.

liddi:

The novel refers to it as 情人蛊. 

情人 literally means lovers in the romantic sense - there is no ambiguity there. 

蛊 refers to a poisonous bug, often used in witchcraft.

So the lovers bug 情人蛊 is unequivocally meant for a couple who are in love with one another.

Thank you, liddi, I was honestly curious. 

blabla100:

Thank you, liddi, I was honestly curious. 

No problems. It's good to get it cleared up. 

I am actually surprised the lovers bug is still a point of contention when its very nature should be one of the most indisputable elements of the story.

AH :
Thank you for translating liddi! A very interesting post title, and lots of interesting tidbits in the post itself

liddi:
What Lost You Forever conveys is a kind of love that "lives [on]". I always feel that in this world, while love is soul-stirring, it is not everything in life.

Familial relationships, friendships, ideals, responsibilities... people have all kinds of ties in this world, and there are a lot of blessings and happiness that do not come from romantic love.

Eternal yearning for each other happens because there is profound love, because it cannot be obtained, because it cannot be forgotten. However, I am willing to bear with all these emotions and live well.
Life is a series of encounters and partings; it is a series of forgetting (leaving behind) and beginnings.
You were once here, you have left.
Even though I find it difficult to stop missing you, I will still smile when I see the beautiful rainbow.

@AH, I find your fic truly matching Tong Hua's message. In my opinion, XY would continue her life (with Jing), enjoy her time abeit her hidden yearning for XL. If one day she found out what XL had done for her, the secret inside the big belly doll, she might feel relieved that she was not a pawn in his chess plan and their relationship was mutual love, not transactions. However, she would still cherish what she had been having and would make the best out of XL's sacrifice for her by having a meaningful, eventful life. I really like the ending of your fic. 

@AH: I like your fic so much that I decided to translate it into my native language. Just finished the first draft. If you allow, I may share the fic on fan group for XL-XY (with proper credit)

blabla100:

I don't believe the issue is in the name of the bugs, it's pretty clear in name and description throughout the book... I think that over the Jing forum they strongly believe XY only loves TSJ and can not also love XL. The lovers bug is then rationalized to not be admissible evidence of XY and XL romantic love because it was planted in CX and it is indisputable that XY only has family love for CX. That then means that the lovers bugs aren't really for lovers despite it's name and nature. The flaw in this argument is that it doesn't take into account that it was never properly planted in CX. The voodoo king did stress that lovers have lovers bug, non lovers have heart beat bugs and that you need to be "in love " otherwise you will "die in heartbreak".

We can discuss the bugs as much as we like but the problem in the Jing supporters is not the bugs but their firm belief that XY has no romantic feelings for XL as well. 

We just believe both exists and believe maybe possibly it's strong as she chose to love TSJ but she couldn't help herself from loving XL.

I may have generalised all the Jingers but you guys know what I mean...

@MengXiang

You summed it up pretty well. It is quite weird though that there are people who don't belive în XL-XY love-line, especially because as far as I know, TH is well known for having multiple love interests în her stories. I had also read sound of the desert and there too there were 2 male leads and without a doubt the FL was romanticaly în love with both at some point în time. The difference between LYF and sound of the desert îs that IMO LYF doesn't actually scream happy ending for XY by the end of the novel, în sound of the desert I never got the slighest doubt  that the FL wasn't completely happy with her choices.

MengXiang:
We can discuss the bugs as much as we like but the problem in the Jing supporters is not the bugs but their firm belief that XY has no romantic feelings for XL as well.

We just believe both exists and believe maybe possibly it's strong as she chose to love TSJ but she couldn't help herself from loving XL.

I may have generalised all the Jingers but you guys know what I mean..

In contrast, you can find some opposite opinions in "only XL" supporter group that XY only loved XL. XL is her true love. And she only sympathized for Jing. They also say that the lovers' bug can not tolerate the 2nd love at the same time. And XY's feeling for Jing is a kind of love acting, delusion. Jing is her hope for simple life with long life companion, thus she pretend to love him, her romatic activities with him are what she desired to do with XL but could not do because they did not have fate to be together

H19279:

In contrast, you can find some opposite opinions in "only XL" supporter group that XY only loved XL. XL is her true love. And she only sympathized for Jing. They also say that the lovers' bug can not tolerate the 2nd love at the same time. And XY's feeling for Jing is a kind of love acting, delusion. Jing is her hope for  for simple life with long life companion, thus she pretend to love him, her romatic activities with him are what she desired to do with XL but could not do because they did have fate to be together

Honestly deep down this is what I belive too and I don't really see myself as a die hard XL fan.  It is just the feeling I had while reading the novel, I always had the impression this book is more about XY and XL and to a lesser degree about XY and Jing. That is not to say XY doesn't love Jing too, but în their relationship I belive that Jing loves her more than XY loves him, she loves herself more. 

H19279:

In contrast, you can find some opposite opinions in "only XL" supporter group that XY only loved XL. XL is her true love. And she only sympathized for Jing. They also say that the lovers' bug can not tolerate the 2nd love at the same time. And XY's feeling for Jing is a kind of love acting, delusion. Jing is her hope for  for simple life with long life companion, thus she pretend to love him, her romatic activities with him are what she desired to do with XL but could not do because they did have fate to be together

That's why the level headed discussion in this forum intrigued me enough to engage which I don't normally.

Respect for everyone here. I do like that we are evidence based and call out the crazy XL theories.

MengXiang:

MengXiang:
Respect for everyone here. I do like that we are evidence based and call out the crazy XL theories.

I prefer to say that AH respectfully beats me over the head with evidence and I respectfully cling to my XL drama motivations and headcanons. ;p

I do respect everyone in this thread and love the knowledge and evidence provided as well as the interpretations, because I'm more of synthesizer and also draw from character motivation.

That said, I've always said people are blind if they don't see that XY loves XL.  It's right there in the title, in the name of the LOVE bug, that doesn't turn into the Heartbreak bug, etc.

Likewise, people are blind are if they don't see that XY loves Jing.  You don't make yourself physically ill to point of throwing up blood and having heart palpitations, if you don't love someone.

Now, you can argue about the degree of those loves and who she loves more, though I think that's a futile endeavor, but her romantic love for two people at the same time is indisputable.

MengXiang:

That's why the level headed discussion in this forum intrigued me enough to engage which I don't normally.

Yes, exactly. We have evidence to justify our opinions.

You should see the amount of nonsense being spewed next door on a daily basis. "The love bugs are just like organ transplants", "the only reason is to make the other person feel their pain", "no love is required".

I applaud AH for having the patience to go there every now and then and try to explain things with enough evidence to convince even the most stubborn person ever, but they usually just choose to ignore everything. SMH

@Kokuto

I agree with everything you said, but IMO the scene where she trows up blood is a bit overestimated. As far as I remember the reason why she trows up blood when she gets home is because she tried to control and not express her emotions when she found out that Jing is a father to be, and not really as a psihical reaction to the news itself. Also I belive she tells CX that she is not sad because of Jing, but because she trusted the wrong person, which to me it sounds a bit... IDK, sad because she trusted the wrong person, it is not only about love, there is more to her reaction than just having a heartbreak because of love. 

@natchsketch

I was curious today and I did go to see what the jing's forum îs all about, but honestly beside lots of DW's pictures I didn't see much of anything else. I did LOL at the organ transplants comparation though.