It feels like the writer left the viewers to assume the ending - so what's the best assumption out there???

TO ME: Dan's ending was when his hanky burnt black because they made that point repeatedly throughout the story, what a shame to waste it. Everything after that is YS's hallucinations so she could keep going with life. Sad right? From the beginning the writer seemed to be clinging towards a tragic story. I can empathize with their sad scenes and sacrificial love more if this was the ending.

So you're saying that the ending we saw was Yeon Seo's imagination and not real life, like what happened when she was in a coma?

In the back of my head, I think so too, but I want to believe that they had a happy ending, because that's what I want for them.

I do too but I couldn't convince myself with the ending the writers gave us. Why did they have those scenes of her hallucinating and dreaming as if to imply the possibility? Even when YS said to Ms Jung "Dan is right there" she looked directly at him but Dan didn't even react then that YS could see him, so I thought he was definitely a hallucination - until the last scene.

glad to see someone else doesn't understand the ending of this drama

it started off so well but ended so basically....there's a lot of things that needed to be explained that just weren't at all.

Ikr? It's like we had to watch the writer still deciding how to end the story.

I took the ending has him finally becoming human. They both accepted their fates and the "deity" gave them a miracle to allow them to finally have a life.

However, the plotholes and the questionable logic of how things played out even though it was predictable, made many viewers perhaps a bit confused on the clarity of the ending (which wasn't clear).

oops, i'm late to the team but i just finished! 

What if, Yeon Seo actually committed suicide? Before the ending scene, Yeon Seo's butler/helper saw the pill bottle half empty. It could mean that Yeon Seo purposely took all the meds at once in order to see Kim Dan again... Which is why she is able to see him and his cloth disappeared... Because, his mission, which was to watch over & protect her is over since she has passed away? 

Tbh my theory is probs wrong lol but that was the first thought for me when it ended. Imma just assume that he miraculously became human & they are living happily ever after now : ) 

I disagree! The final ep we have Lee Yeon Seo grieving for the loss of Kim Dan - yet we see her imagining Kim Dan still being there with her because of her grief and her coping process. What she doesn't see is that Kim Dan is still there watching over her but not seen by her. At the end when she walks to the prophet's bench it's like we are coming full circle. That's where they initially met. We see Kim Dan walking behind her going to the bench trying to hold her hands but knowing that it will be fruitless. As they both sit by the bench, a leaf falls into Yeon Seo's hands. She's so full of hope that it will carry a message for her but it doesn't so in her disappointment, she writes a message on it. At this point she starts crying and Dan reaches out to touch her tears. At that exact point was when God decided to allow him to become human and that's when Yeon Seo felt Dan's hand on her face and then turned to actually SEE him sitting there beside him. If you see Dan's reaction, it was "Does she see me?" That's because he's just as surprised as she is. This was the turning point - this was when he realized he was back in real life and when his handkerchief disappeared. Finally God heard her plea and realized that these two sacrificed so much for their love and he granted Dan his human life so he could be with Yeon Seo. And that's the happy ending we all were looking for.

I re-watched this just last night and YES I agree with you. 

In the past when I first watched it I thought she went crazy and it was all in her head and then she killed herself (also noticed the pills ;) but now I think she sensed him there, cos he was really there just invisible like the first time. 

See he was given a mission to guard her and he did but she still sensed him even tho she thought she was crazy.  And he was always there - then on the bench she mentioned that there is never anything on the leaf so she writes her wish and cries he tries to wipe the tear and boom they see and feel each other! 

The handkerchief disappeared meaning his connection to the divine and that world was gone - making him human. It did not go black as in you were punished. He was rewarded and they end up together as a miracle - I mean she even started to believe at the end in god. 

So yeah that's what I think :)

Exactly! It's the happy ending we all wanted. To me there was absolutely no doubt that Dan became human - all their expressions at the bench were perfectly tuned to when Yeon Seo  & Dan finally were able to feel and see each other. It was an absolutely amazing conclusion of their love story.

Yeah I'm sure he turned human too, because it just doesn't make sense that it was her hallucination. Why did she randomly all of a sudden see him again after she couldnt before. When they were walking to the bench she couldnt see him and all of a sudden she could see him after sitting down?? It just makes sense that the ending was a miracle, sure its lazy writing but i don't think its an open ended one. And to even really reaffirm that what happened was a miracle, the last couple of sentences Dan says in narration "We will live happily with this miraculous love" atleast thats what the subtitles said, i'm not sure how accurate the translation is, but assuming its correct, he himself calls the ending a god-given miracle. But i just wanna say again though, i really wanted a happy ending but the writer should've done something creative with it, the rest of the show had such a cool concept, so the ending just seemed lazy and random.

i think he became an human, like in her hallucination she knew it was one because she didn't hear his heartbeat but here she teaches his cherst to feel his heartbeat and we can hear it. 

The tissue with the  feather disapeared ùeaning that he is not connected to the deity anymore 

and the bottle without the pill probably means that she's been taking it and could not be hallucinating 

for me it's not an open ending 

but i was expecting a tragedic ending too 

I have just finish watching the drama and how I interpret the ending was like this.

The theme of sacrificial love where Yeon Seo was considered dead due to the surgery that causes her to have cardiac arrest because she left the stab wound for too long. She is supposed to die. That was the first death. Note that the handkerchief is still blue so Kim Dan didn't messed up the mission and has completed it successfully. God has forgiven him for his act due to the sacrifice she has made and archangel Hoo. However, the second death happened when Kim Dan gave his final wish and life away to revive Yeon Seo through the tears and kiss during the hospital bed scene. The handkerchief turned dark as he vanished. The Giselle story is applicable here.

"When you give one thing away, you get another thing in return. It's all fairness in the name of Him"

What I am trying to say is that when she gave her life away, she grant a life to Kim Dan. But in return, he is willing to also give back the life he gained back to her. This fulfilled the Sacrificial Love that both side has given. Both has died once as compared to Director Ji where Seo Hui dies but not him. Director Ji lost his chance to sacrifice himself (when he abandoned his angel status and Him) but was given a chance to fulfill his original mission that was set by Him (to give inspiration) for redemption.

Interestingly, she started to see him even after she has woken up. The handkerchief disappeared and even Ms. Jung admits that she didn't take it because Kim Dan was the one that has taken it back. The black feathered handkerchief turned blue again right at that moment when he became an angel. He has revived and gained redemption. She assume she was crazy and had mental hallucination since she was seeing him but remember that time she was visually impaired and being the only one seeing (feeling) him. She had a physical condition at the time so the her at the moment is also sick (heart sick to be precise). Kim Dan didn't respond to her at all is because he assumed she can't see him again. He want to embrace her but knows it may be futile. He acknowledge his angel status.  He thought Yeon Seo was just responding to thin air as well.

"John tells us that Jesus appeared to His disciples on 'the first day of the week' "  after his resurrection. A miracle has happened. Him has given Kim Dan his resurrection as Angel Dan after his sacrifice.

So we are now at the end point. Yeon Seo has taken the medicine, convincing herself that the hallucination should no longer exist. She wants to be a better person and lead a better life for Kim Dan, knowing that he is watching somewhere whether it be above or near her. She can't see Kim Dan after taking the medicine because her condition is cured, similar to when she got her cornea (though Kim Dan already had a mission to fulfill as a human).  But right now, Kim Dan's mission is to be an angel monitoring her condition.  Yeon Seo still misses Kim Dan and start writing on the piece of leaf of her own prophecy. There is always this theme fo the "Second Coming of Jesus" where he will be back from heaven to visit earth. Prophecies happened and when she shed her tears, Kim dan couldn't resist wiping it even if he thought it was futile. But that's when the tears he shed on her during the hospital scene bed scene get returned. It formed a complete cycle of him leaving for real but is back again mirroring the fact that she gave her life which in returned he gave it back.

We are now back to the beginning where Kim Dan and Yeon Seo first met on the bench when she was visually impaired. She thought she was hallucinating again and he didn't expect her to see him again after all the ordeal they went through.  Was the deity whom gifted him love but took it away after finally showing us a miracle? In exchange for his angel status, he regained his human form. The prophecy written by Yeon Seo is fulfilled by Him. A definite happy ending that is not open in my opinion. He is human and was finally having a happy ending with Yeon Seo. Even though she could not defeat the yearning she had for Kim Dan, she wished to fulfill her promise of being better in life. That's the karma and goodness rewarded by Him to her.

I didn't think the ending was lazily written as it was possibly the only way they could go about the ending without it ending tragically. A story that ends in tragedy may be impactful but there is always that positive that comes after. We only appreciate Jesus after his passing, not when he was alive.  Him left behind a tragic story only to now have millions of followers asking for forgiveness and praying. We all prayed for Yeon Seo and Kim Dan's love story to blossomed, not to end in tragedy.

That's all for my interpretation. fyi, I am not a Christian but I have always been interested to learn about the history of the world and religions. I could be wrong in my statements but that's the conclusion I have reached for this drama. The screenwriter has put in a lot of effort to emulate the bible stories through a Love Story.  Applaud to them for producing such a great work with messages that I appreciates.

For me it's pretty clear that he becomes human. 

Earlier we are taught from a scene that what differentiates a dream (or an illusion) from reality is him having a heartbeat. In the ending scene on the bench, she feels (and we hear) his heartbeat. 

The earlier scene with the half empty pill container is there to show us that she takes her pills and is not hallucinating. This is also enforced by YS and Dan being surprised all of a sudden that they can feel each other's touches, thus YS is not hallucinating.

We are also shown that the handkerchief mysteriously disappears from YS's possession, although no one took it, which means that it is returned to heaven / Dan and perhaps even that Dan is reinstated in his angel duties. In the end, we see Dan wearing the handkerchief with a blue feather (meaning, he's still an angel and alive) which then disappears when YS touches his heart. The angelic component is thus removed by having the connection between heaven and earth destroyed, which implies that he becomes a human.

So for me, these three facts make the ending undeniably clear.