Hessa Volunteer Staff

Hi, guys.

So, basically, I noticed over the past few weeks that people keep asking the same questions again and again. So, I decided to make a thread answering all of your questions.

Why is this very different than the Chinese version?

To answer you simply, this is not a remake of the Chinese version, this is an adaption of the novel. In addition, not all adoptions have to follow the original story exactly, they may focus on different aspects and that is why there is a difference. And of course, this is set in Korea, not China, so you have to expect differences.

Is this show historically accurate?

Like what Naksken said, "They've fit a fictional Chinese novel into the facts of Goreyo's history. So, actual characters from the past, with a fictional story, and a fictional female lead." Moreover, the princes are real and living in 900s, in what is known as the Goryeo Dynasty. So the thing about killing all the princes and becoming the successor is from the novel, not a historical fact.

EDIT: Looks like the order of monarchs of the real Goreyo's history is actually followed. The death of certain characters is also true.

Why does this show have low viewership rates in Korea even thought it is popular overseas?

I seriously don't know. But I interpreted it this way:

1. It competes in the same time slot with Love in the Moonlight and Monster.
  2. Some people dislike IU because of her scandal.
  3. Targeted toward young adults who usually watch it online (Not counted in the viewership rates).

Why did 3 episodes air in the first week?

SBS had an empty slot, that is why.

.... show is much better. Why are you watching this? Why is it popular on MDL? You are just watching because of the idols? Or because of the bathhouse scene (Episode 1)?

Isn't it just a personal preference? Can't people watch what they want? And if they are just watching it for the idols or the bathhouse scene, it is their choice. Everyone should respect people's preferences.

As for me, I didn't even know the idols nor the main leads. I just watched it because I wanted to and immediately fell in love with the story and cast.

How are the princes ranked?

It is by who is born first.

Does the 13th price have the same name as the 8th price?

The answer is yes and no. Their Hangul name is spelt as 왕욱, which is romanized as either Wang Wook or Wang Uk. However, bear in mind that this was an era where Hangul still wasn't invented. Therefore, they used to use the Chinese character, or what is called Hanja. And here is where the difference appears. The 8th prince's name is written as 王旭, 旭 (Uk) as in rising sun, brilliance, radiant, while the 13th prince's name is written as 王郁, 郁 (Uk) as in sweet-smelling, rich in aroma.

Middle Korean had tones, therefore their name is not only written differently but also pronounced differently.

In addition, the 13th price is referred to as Baek Ah (Which is his nickname in the show), so the viewers are not confused.

Is Prince # married?

If you look at their hairstyle, you would know. If the hair was pulled into a topknot, it means they are married. The topknot was a sign of manhood for the men since they would start to wear their hair into a topknot when they got married, as they used to marry at a young age. (Source)

The king has multiple wives/queens, was that really normal back then?

Yes, it was normal, and it was not just done in Korea, many kings from all over the world usually had multiple wives. You might find it weird because in our current time polygamy is not frequently seen. But it was a common practice by nobles back then to further increase their power or create unity between kingdoms.

The king has many concubines, was that really normal back then?

Yes, this was also normal and common practice by nobles. Men, if they could afford it, sometimes kept one or two concubines as sexual playmates and friends (Source). Moreover, don't be mistaken, concubines are not married to the King, so they are not his wives. They are different from the queens.

Actually, all court ladies working in the palace are thought to belong to the king and the King can bed them if he wishes. In addition, court ladies can't get married without the king's permission. You can read more about royal noble consort of Korean kings and their status over here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Noble_Consort_of_Korean_Kings

Was incest allowed back then?

Most people have seen this show's relationship chart and were baffled by it. I know how you feel, I was surprised too. But we have to bear in mind that this is a story from the past, where there were not many restrictions placed on royal family members. Royal family members did marry their siblings or half-siblings in the hope of keeping their bloodline pure and farther increase their family power.

Why is there 2 versions of the episodes?

To explain it simply, this show was pre-produced, meaning that all episodes were shot in advance and edited. Moreover, before this show was aired in Korea, it was sold to multiple countries to be simultaneously broadcasted. Therefore, the overseas broadcasting channels, who bought the rights to this show, have already subbed the episodes and they air them at the same time the episodes are broadcasted in Korea.

However, since this show did not receive high viewership rates in Korea as expected, the production company decided to re-edit the episodes. Nonetheless, the production company either,

1. Did not send it to the overseas broadcasting channels that already bought this show.

2. Or they did send it, but the broadcasting channels did not want to spend more money and time to re-translating the episodes.

However, that was what caused the chaos.

What are the 2 versions?

The original international version and the SBS re-edited version.

How to know which version I'm are watching?

It is simple, just look at the top right corner and if there is an SBS's logo, you are watching the re-edited version. Plus, usually, the original version starts with a song, while the re-edited version starts at the lake shot with the 15+ age restriction.

DramaFever = Original International ver.

KissAsian = SBS Re-edited ver.

DramaLove & HDFree = Both versions available

Are there many differences between the 2 versions?

No, there is not much difference except for a few extra scenes and some music difference. However, I suggest you choose one version to watch and then watch the extras from the other version. All the extra scenes timings will be included below.

The SBS version has some untranslated lines, why is that?

If you notice some missing subs, that means you are watching the SBS re-edited version but with the originally sold overseas episodes' subs.

If you wish to watch the SBS version, I recommend waiting until the supposedly DF subs release the subs since there are two types of subs:

• darksmurfsub Subs (Which are released 1 day after the episode airs and for some reason states at the beginning that they are DF subs): Compatible with the SBS re-edited version.
  • Hdfree Subs (Which are found a few hours after the episode release): This version is translated from the Chinese subs and matches the originally international episodes. Also, the subs are really good, even though it is translated from Chinese.
Hessa Volunteer Staff
What are the extra scenes?

Read the list compiled by Neyjour over HERE.

If you have other questions, please type them below, and I will try my best to answer.
I've just watched the sixth ep and thought it was a mess. Unfortunately I couldn't downloaded it from dramafever because it is restricted in my country :( I really wish I could watch the original un-edited version :(

I have a question regarding the historical fact. I've read about goryeo and found out that the crown prince and the third rule for sometimes before the fourth take the throne. But I couldn't get any more facts about their relationship. Hence, they always portray the fourth as a lonely and painful youngsters in all drama (this and shine or go crazy) Is it just a coincidence or the fourth is really such a person? Could you tell me anything about this historical background story?

And then....... I don't know because I don't know much about Korean speech level. But, why does joseon speech sounds more archaic than this one? The speech on this drama sounds so casual and I understand it better than when I watched joseon-period drama.

Anyway, it is so kind of you to make this kind of thread ^^ thank you
Fascinating thread Hessa. Thank you so much for making this. 
Hessa, thanks for this helpful thread.
Great idea!!....hehehe those questions were getting so repetitive!
Maybe you should also post link on the Ryeo main page .... many people don't even look at the forum, and title doesn't say SH:Ryeo/ML 
Thanks! This was really helpful :) 

Does anyone know where i might find a translated version of the novel? Only seem to be a few chapters floating around the internet.
Thanks so much for this thread!  :)

In addition to episode 6, there's also an extra scene in episode 1 (from timestamp 55:30 --> 56:20)
If anyone knows where to download the subs for that scene, please let us know.

Hessa Volunteer Staff
BlueberryCheesecake asks: I have a question regarding the historical fact. I've read about goryeo and found out that the crown prince and the third rule for sometimes before the fourth take the throne. But I couldn't get any more facts about their relationship. Hence, they always portray the fourth as a lonely and painful youngsters in all drama (this and shine or go crazy) Is it just a coincidence or the fourth is really such a person? Could you tell me anything about this historical background story?
So far, I was stopping myself from reading any historical facts, in case they ever spoil the show. However, because I want to answer your question, I did do a little reading, and all I could find is that Wang So was known, later in his life, for squashing his political rivals and creating an atmosphere of fear within the political realm at the time. However, since Wang So's childhood of being exiled from the palace and shunned by the royal family is almost the same in this and Shine or Go Crazy, maybe some elements about it were true, however, I'm not really sure since there is not info about that when I searched.
BlueberryCheesecake asks: I don't know because I don't know much about Korean speech level. But, why does Joseon speech sounds more archaic than this one? The speech on this drama sounds so casual and I understand it better than when I watched Joseon-period drama.
I don't know much Korean either and have not read any explanation from the production company about the type of speech, however, some people were complaining about it. Let us get out fact first, Middle Korean (중세국어) corresponds to Korean spoken from the 10th to 16th centuries, or from the era of Goryeo to the middle of Joseon. In addition, there were tones in Middle Korean, just like Mandarin Chinese. However, in this show, we hear them speak almost modern Korean.
I noticed that this show is tagged as "Youth" in the Korean Wikipedia page, so I concluded that they used modern Korean to make this show fun, light-hearted, and easier to understand for the youngsters. In addition, maybe it is used to subliminally imply how young the princes or to make it is relatable to how Koreans speak nowadays.
rainruma: Maybe you should also post link on the Ryeo main page.
It already is, you can find it in the "Recent Discussions".
Ruby: Does anyone know where i might find a translated version of the novel? Only seem to be a few chapters floating around the internet.

Apparently, the fan translation was stopped 6 years ago. You can read the first 8 chapters here: http://bubujingxinenglish.blogspot.ae/
No she's reflecting the gaze that falls on her.

she's very subversive.
Here's someone who can explain it way better than me.  I love IU
Ask A Korean IU and Zeze
@Johnson-Shampoo .... Netizens in S.Korea can be very vicious ....They have ruined the careers of a few stars, and often, it all starts w/ false rumors...They don't need a legitimate reason or facts.
They have a lot of influence and can sway public opinion, which in turn can sway production companies.

They are just hypocritical ,  judgmental,  immature , shallow jealous people who have nothing better to do.!!!
The reason they make such a huge deal out of 4th's scar, and why it is mentioned more than once in SH:Ryeo that : "Unless you are not good-looking you will  not be treated well"  is b/c it is a fact in their contemporary, plastic-surgery obsessed society..... That's how shallow these K-netizens can be, ripping apart stars for the smallest flaw or misstep.
Thank you for these information
thank you so much Hessa! i was so confused but your posts helped me alot. i'm watching all the scenes you mentioned in both versions. it's a great help:)