*SPOILERS* 

I have never posted anything on this platform, but this completely disgusting victim attitude that the female lead in this drama has been constantly walking around with just made me want to punch her through my screen. I don't know how the writers of this drama ever though that this would add anything to the story besides pure frustration for the viewer. They keep showing scenes of her crying all the freaking time after hearing how hard Bok Su's life has been, meant to make her look pitiful. While in reality she's just making it seem like she has been suffering. In ep-12 there was the tipping point for me to write this topic. She said something like ''You're not the only one who has been suffering''. Literally the most ignorant and self-centered female lead in kdrama existence. Only reason to keep watching is the fact that one of the best male actors to walk the planet is in this drama.

They're both are victims for different circumstances

Soo Jung

[Past] is a poor orphan raised by her grandmother while lived on food stamps most of her life, came 1st in her class without extra help like privet lessons which cost A LOT. Got bullied by the once she thought as friends just because she's poor (believed Se Ho's manipulation) then heard the person she cared about calling her pity like the rest of them afterwards saw another "friend" falling from rooftop and ALL of it happened when she was 17-18

[Present] Her grandmother who's currently in the verge of death and worked her ass off to be a full-time teacher in a system where nepotism and bribery is what will get you a job. She's a teacher who's passionate, support and helps her students who were given up by everyone and considered to be "without a future", is risking her full-time job for Bok Soo/student. Did apologized to Bok Soo even tho she didn't lie in her statement.

Bok Soo 

[Past] Was raised by single mother and a sister, poor but less than Soo Jung (mother's restaurant) wasn't good in studying but improved a little, was nice to SJ, fought a lot with other bullies to defend his friends and his dream for the future was to be Soo Jung's boyfriend and was more upset from SJ not questioning him more than being expelled (I felt sorry for his mother). 

[Present] Have a teacher who cares about him even after 9 years. Returned to school for revenge and apparently there is legal act where allows him to continue his studies (even adult criminals in US are allowed to study), he's lying to his sister about her son school status. He is his own boss, work as a freelancer with his other 2 friends who have a diploma which one of them wasted 9 years of her life following one sided love.  He STILL didn't tell Soo Jung about Se Ho's lies but kept guilt her for not questioning him 9 years ago while having a crush on her AGAIN and wanted to use his wish so Se Ho stays away from her SMH. In 10-12 he didn't attend class (wanted to quite easily without even thinking about his mother) and didn't want stop to make trouble KNOWING it will result Soo Jung losing her job as a teacher.

After listing it, Bok Soo has a lot of entitlement, victim noise and he cries the most compared to all charectures in this drama. He's the type who blames everyone for everything but himself, like we don't see Soo Jung complain about hers unless when Bok Soo brings up his

Mechanixz:

*SPOILERS* 

I have never posted anything on this platform, but this completely disgusting victim attitude that the female lead in this drama has been constantly walking around with just made me want to punch her through my screen. I don't know how the writers of this drama ever though that this would add anything to the story besides pure frustration for the viewer. They keep showing scenes of her crying all the freaking time after hearing how hard Bok Su's life has been, meant to make her look pitiful. While in reality she's just making it seem like she has been suffering. In ep-12 there was the tipping point for me to write this topic. She said something like ''You're not the only one who has been suffering''. Literally the most ignorant and self-centered female lead in kdrama existence. Only reason to keep watching is the fact that one of the best male actors to walk the planet is in this drama. 

She thinks getting school bullied vocally or graduating lonely is the same as losing your dream, your right of receiving education (hence your chances at a normal job and life), your loved ones betraying you and being seen like a criminal for a crime you didn't commit.

sure girl

let's see if she'll still only have eyes for herself after realizing her mistake. IF she realizes it. (i honestly still doubt that)

I am not supporting her actions or anything but  lets put ourselves in her situation and look. You are a teenage girl with no dreams but you work very hard. You have this pressure around school where girls will look down at you if they come to know about your financial status. And you being a nerdy girl never thought anyone will like you until Bok Su came into the picture. He is sweet and you feel very comfortable around him.

But as you can see all that drama happens and she did a big mistake of not believing Bok Su. This can happen to normal people too who are really insecure about themselves, who constantly are in worry. Her life is pretty hard too. Yes she did get a degree and a job and was not humiliated like Bok Su. But she never had anyone support her during the hard time while Bok Su has his supporting family and friends. Moreover she has to even take care of her grandma, overcome her dad's death. She had no one to rely upon. She took in all the sufferings. She also did live in guilt the whole time, always wondering if she did do the right thing or not about Bok Su. I think the loneliness is the most pitiful thing in her whole life, being lonely is far more scarier than death (at least to me). She may not be the average all rounder sweet k drama female lead but she is a realistic character who we must understand rather than hate.

Although I understand some of the points made by you (mainly Misa's), My comment was mostly pointed towards the incident that happened a long time ago. Like homePK said, Bok Su lost so much in that incident, way more than Son Soo Jeong. In the newer episodes even Bok Su starts to believe that she was actually hurt a lot more than him BECAUSE OF THE INCIDENT, while she literally just ruined his life in that one moment. I get that her situation overall is quite sad, but the fact that she doesn't acknowledge that she the sole reason for all the hurt in Bok Su's life is just sickening.

PS: Oh Se Ho is slowly becoming the more punchworthy character.

I think people just expect too much for a female lead. For me she's realistic. Has it become a standard for female leads in a kdrama to be kind/loving/sweet/understanding/soft??

At first I didn't get how she could have betrayed Bok Soo after all the flashbacks showed that he's been nothing but sweet and caring towards her prior to the rooftop incident, but as the show rolled out the events of the past I kind of get where she's coming from. If I imagine myself in her shoes as a high school girl who already has a hard time trusting people to begin with, having just found out that the only person she actually trusted may have probably betrayed her, I wouldn't even want to talk to anyone, especially not to Bok Soo.

Soo Jeong must have thought that it's better to leave things unconfirmed than to dig into it and get even more hurt if she finds out she's actually been betrayed and that Bok Soo only hangs out with her out of pity. "The truth hurts." (It's unrealistic for us to think that she should never have doubted him in the first place; in the real world, that would be stupidity.)

Also, I don't think she was fully rational at the time. She had just been exposed to the student body, bullied, backstabbed, and was barely processing all of it when she overheard the exchange between Bok Soo and Se Ho. By the time she was being interrogated, I could imagine she just wanted all of it to be over. She must have been barely thinking when she told the truth (what she actually heard) which was actually the right thing to do. It was the adults who were wrong, who led themselves to mistakenly assume and take a biased standpoint. I imagine they didn't investigate any further and forced Bok Soo to drop out in order to protect the school.

Years later she had buried it all and built a thicker wall around her, until she met Bok Soo who melted them once again, and who finally made her realize that she should have asked. It was definitely easier to ask the questions this time around.

Of course she does acknowledge that she's hurt Bok Soo more than anyone, she apologized so many times in the last episode. Perhaps it wasn't as evident as it should have been, because Bok Soo is too kind and forgiving by nature that a simple apology and admission from Soo Jeong was all he needed. And Soo Jeong let it all out because Bok Soo was willing to listen and he is the only person she trusts enough (other than her grandma) to talk about all of these things to, someone she's never had for years. 

After the last few episodes I definitely changed my mind about her, I still think that this development in the story came way too late (the fact that she even apologized even surprised me to be honest). I had to sit through at least 6 hours of wanting to punch her in the face until she finally apologized and told Bok Su that's she understands how he must've felt. The fact that it took her 8 years (or something like that), and a lot of pushing by Bok Su to reach this conclusion still annoys me more than anything. And all this is ignoring the fact that she is acting in a very stupid way for someone who is top in her class in her highschool years. She hasn't trusted anyone for all her years in highschool, but once she finally has someone she trusts, she betrays him, and doesn't listen to his side of the story. The hypocrisy is on a whole new level.

Luke:
She hasn't trusted anyone for all her years in highschool, but once she finally has someone she trusts, she betrays him, and doesn't listen to his side of the story. The hypocrisy is on a whole new level.

I think maybe the link wasn't clear enough... she trusted Bok Soo and then she thought he betrayed her; she thought he didn't actually like her at all and had just been pitying her but also toying with her because she was poor, and also that he had told everyone when it was assumed that he would keep it a secret. She didn't really betray Bok Soo at all. She thought that how he had been acting around her was a lie so it's hard to say "she should have known he wouldn't do something like that", which a lot of viewers seem to be saying. I think it was supposed to come across like she felt she didn't know him at all in that moment.

Anyway, she never lied. She never made anything up. She told the police what she truly did hear AND she said that she didn't see anything. Considering she thought that Bok Soo pushed Se Ho, wouldn't it have been worse if she lied to the police and said that she both saw and heard nothing? Then she would be covering up what could be called attempted murder (if Se Ho had truly been pushed) AND she could potentially be wrecking Se Ho's life in the process (again reminding that she thought Se Ho was an innocent party). 

I think there's no real 'good ending' for her in this situation. But I also think the directors and writers of the drama didn't make her the easiest character to sympathise with, and also because Yoo Seung Ho's character is very easy to sympathise with it just opens the doors for people to disregard Soo Jung's 'motives' and thoughts.

Also, it is my own personal philosophy that it should be remembered that everyone has different experiences. While you're completely right in that objectively what Soo Jung went through wasn't as bad as what Bok Soo went through in that he was blamed for a criminal act (did he actually end up with a criminal record? I don't think so but maybe I missed it), was treated unfairly because of that and couldn't complete highschool. But Soo Jung never experienced those things personally. So while objectively what Bok Soo went through was worse, of course the worst pain Soo Jung can truly know is what she was experienced. So I fully believe that both suffered. If everyone's emotions were regarded so simply - "you may be sad but other people have experienced worse" - than only one person in the entire world would have the right to feel sad. 

All throughout the drama, what I really wanted was to punch Son Soo Jeong. I hate how she misunderstood everything, she didn't even try to confront Bok Soo to confirm what happened in the past. Yes, she went to his house before but she left right away. Why? Because she's a selfish bitch. Okay, I understand that her life was so difficult and she was heart broken when she learned that Bok Soo betrayed her but it's still not enough to go on with your life without even fixing everything between her and Bok Soo. This is just so frustrating because it was so unfair to Bok Soo. I hate how stupid Son Soo Jeong is. 9 years? She didn't even try to ask how he is after all those years?! She didn't even try to be curious about what happened to Bok Soo's life after what she did? That's so unbelievable! Because you know what? If you really care and love him, even if it's true that he betrayed you, you would still ask him, you would still talk to him about what happened even if it will hurt you. But she didn't. I'm sorry, I'm just really so frustrated because of  those wasted years for Bok Soo.

Let's accept the fact that she ruined Bok Soo's life. Hay. I really hate her. If it's not for Yoo Seung Ho and Kwak Deong Yon, I wouldn't finish the drama.

Quiazel Espiritu:
 Let's accept the fact that she ruined Bok Soo's life. Hay. I really hate her. If it's not for Yoo Seung Ho and Kwak Deong Yon, I wouldn't finish the drama.

I think a lot of viewers viewed Son Soo Jeong's situation from only Bok Soo's perspective but if you think about it more deeply, her actions make sense.

She really thought that Bok Soo pushed or even simply let go of Se Ho's hand. She heard Se Ho ask to be saved. That's exactly what she told the police too - that she heard Se Ho ask Bok Soo to save him. She never said to the police that it was Bok Soo's fault rather she said what she saw/heard; realistically she shouldn't and legally she can't lie about that, as a witness. Considering what she saw (and considering she thought Bok Soo had been lying to her all along so she thought that she probably didn't actually know what kind of a person he was), she legitimately thought Bok Soo played a part in Se Ho's accident and again, what she saw was Bok Soo playing a part in Se Ho's accident. 

If she had have lied to the police, first of all she would've been committing a crime. But second of all, wouldn't it make her worse if she thought Bok Soo hurt - and almost killed - Se Ho and she lied to protect him? That would've wrecked Se Ho's life if he actually had have been pushed by Bok Soo.

It's still easy to think "she should've asked Bok Soo and then he would've told her what really happened" but like I said before, her faith in Bok Soo had begun to waiver but also what she saw was Bok Soo pushing Se Ho. What she heard made it sound like Se Ho was asking for Bok Soo's help or mercy.  If she had have asked Bok Soo what had happened, what reason would she have to believe him if he said "I didn't push him, he jumped" when what she saw was completely the opposite? Even someone who is truly guilty of a crime as heinous as murder won't often admit to it.

As the audience we know that Bok Soo is innocent but remember that the characters don't know as much as we know.

Luke:

*SPOILERS* 

omg im sooo agree with you
i called her an annoying hypocrite bitch
cant stand her