So recently, I finished this game called "428 Shibuya Scramble," and for those who don't know, it features live action sequences, so it almost feels like a Japanese drama in video game form. lol And boy, what an amazing story it has, filled with drama, tearjerking emotions, and a wide variety of ensemble cast.

But the character whom I loved the most in there is this cop named Kano, your average hot-headed anime protagonist with a sense of justice. He's a little on the thick-headed side at the beginning, like all shounen heroes, but what's brilliant is that the story deconstructed such a cliche and had this senior cop called out just how terrible a cop Kano is, always recklessly charging into things. And the thing I really loved was that he grew as a result and mellowed into someone more realistic, someone whom you could take seriously as an officer of the law. He even almost sacrificed himself just to catch the bad guy. Phew, gives me the chills.

So yeah, I'm looking for a cop drama with a hot-headed protagonist like that, maybe someone who also becomes more mature over time. I've seen so many cop dramas where the protagonist is just basically some super genius from the beginning, which is so boring. I want to see a passionate main character who wholeheartedly wants to protect Japan, but might have been on the naive side.

It would also be nice if the drama is mixed with both comedy and drama. I don't really like 100% comedy and goofiness. Tearjerking scenes are a definite plus.

What I also really liked about 428 Shibuya Scramble was that the finale was very epic in the sense that every episode in the story led up to that point in the final chapter. All the actions taken by the characters meant something important in the end, whether it's gaining information or gaining allies. It really felt like the characters had to earn their way to a happy ending, which makes the story so epic. If you could recommend a drama that has a feeling like that, it would be nice too.

Thank you so much for reading. I hope to hear from you soon!

• Cruel City | kdrama. Has a hot headed cop with a lot of passion and some anger issues, hell bent on catching his targets. He grows and mellows out, becoming less reckless and more thoughtful. Plenty of action sequences and interesting characters in this one. No comedy, though. 
  • Voice | reckless detective with a penchant for justice. Also hell bent on catching a killer who took someone from him. He mellows out and becomes less reckless as the series progresses. A little comedy, plenty of action. This one is fast paced. Highly recommend. 
  • Voice 2 | New main lead, same female lead as Voice. ML is a detective with a lot of issue, hot-headed, mistrustful, a bit paranoid and plenty aggressive. He starts to trust his team as he works with them, becoming less rash and more of a team player. Also highly recommend. 

Live - very enjoyable show that aired on netflix recently. The main character is similar to what you describe and the plot is pretty good. Had some super serious moments, some nice comedic relief when needed, and a little romance. Its pretty down-to-earth so no crazy action seens with heavy fighting and such just realistic encounters you'd expect a cop to have. Show also goes into the daily lives of cops and how society (in korea) treat them. Was very enjoyable overall and worth a look. Just a side note takes about two episodes to really hook you in as the first few episodes are the set up.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I didn't expect a reply so soon, and didn't expect so many recs either. lol Thanks again.

✔️ Life on Mars 

✔️ Tunnel

✔️ TEN

✔️ ST Scientific Task Force 

✔️ Circle 

✔️ Black 

✔️ Duel

✔️ Love Me if You Dare 

Comedy 

✔️ Mystery Queen 

✔️ Two Cops 

✔️ Accidental Detective