Hello everybody! 

I am looking for movies that feature very provocative themes. 

Anything that might include Taboo topics/ Spicy stuff / weird or disturbing things.

In the mood for some unique stuff to watch rn lol 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Also, it can be from any country, no restrictions there :)  

thank you!  

EDIT: 

FULL LIST WITH ALL RECOMMENDATIONS MADE HERE:

https://mydramalist.com/list/q1XvYdb3 

you could try call boy.  it's shows full on sex.  personally i think it was written /directed by someone who has never made a woman orgasm in their life  but it if you are interested in what a 15 year old boy thinks sex is like i think this movie gets pretty close. 

cityhunter:

you could try call boy.  it's shows full on sex.  personally i think it was written /directed by someone who has never made a woman orgasm in their life  but it if you are interested in what a 15 year old boy thinks sex is like i think this movie gets pretty close. 

It definitely sounds like an interesting watch lol although that kind of viewpoint is very disappointing considering the topic of the movie, I will still check it out. 

Thanks for the recommendation! 

SNH:

It definitely sounds like an interesting watch lol although that kind of viewpoint is very disappointing considering the topic of the movie, I will still check it out. 

Thanks for the recommendation! 

unfortunately whenever  hetero sex is the topic in Asian dramas (and else where around the world) i feel you get a very male centered view of it. 

mengosteen:

https://mydramalist.com/17335-zebra 

https://mydramalist.com/22272-the-river  (don't check tags before watching)

The River already got me after reading two sentences from the description lol Will definitely check that one out! Thank you so much <3 

Thanks for asking this question because I love weird ass movies too! Looking forward to all the suggestions you'll get ... hopefully I won't have seen any or many of them. So here are my recs, which I didn't find on your ptw:

• Visitor Q (Japan) - all I can say is mindf*uk! Director Takeshi Miike trolled the heck out of all of us before trolling was even a thing! Some people found Visitor Q very disturbing because it breaks every taboo you can imagine, but I found it funny as hell. Don't read anything about it before watching! It was so outrageous and absurd at every corner that at the end of the movie, I didn't know what the hell I had just watched! LOL I *know* Takeshi Miike and his whole cast & crew had to have had so much fun effing with us, the audience! Guy is f'en f'ed up in the brain for coming up with this weird ass movie, but I'm sure glad he did because even years after watching it I still can't forget it! :-)

• Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Thailand) - I love this movie! But I am fan of arthouse cinema so no surprise there. The movie is veeeeery slow paced, you might fall asleep watching it but if you stick it out you'll be rewarded with a beautiful art piece with striking cinematic images & an interesting, poignant story about life  & death. No wonder it was a Cannes Palme d'Or winner back in 2015, I believe it was.

• Last Life In The Universe (Thailand) - a love story about a slightly weird, free spirited couple. A personal favourite.

• An Elephant Sitting Still (China) - this is 4hrs of basically doom & gloom. It's not particularly weird & taboo defying in the traditional sense, but it's weird in how obsessively on point the director is at  portraying the very worse of the human condition. There's a reason for this, but if I tell you the film might have less impact so don't read up on this movie beforehand, just watch it blind. Skip this one if you're feeling melancholy or depressed right now, though. Watch it when you're in a good headspace so you won't internalize the pessimistic tone & mood of the film. However, just know that while this film takes you on a rather depressing journey ... I personally thought it ended on a very positive note that gave the protagonists new hope for their lives. If you watch it and get to the end, I think you'll understand what I mean ... or not. I certainly think it was worth the watch.

• Moebius (Korea) - this is on the same level of weirdness & mindfuckery as Visitor Q.

• My Man (Japan) - I thought the direction & cinematography in this movie was so well done! The scenery on its own tells a story about the characters & their day to day existence! If you pay attention to such things when you watch movies, then you might appreciate this as much as I did. The movie isn't an all around carnival of taboo defying weirdness, but there's enough to be scandalized about!
 SNH:

Hello everybody! 

I am looking for movies that feature very provocative themes. 

Anything that might include Taboo topics/ Spicy stuff / weird or disturbing things.

In the mood for some unique stuff to watch rn lol 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Also, it can be from any country, no restrictions there :)  

thank you!  

I am so glad you asked for this! I've been searching using different tags such as "Mature," etc., but not a lot of results are what I'm looking for. I never thought to ask in the Forum! lol Smart move!  I'm definitely taking notes from some of these responses!

Btw, I thought Call Boy was interesting for reasons other than sex for sex's sake (that's my best "on the fly" attempt to not drop spoilers). The same can be said of Love's Whirlpool, as well. 

I second Moebius. Kim Kiduk films are always weird, but this definite took the cake and the icing of weird and also taboo.. So his other works to watch are Beautiful and 3-iron.

Also maybe:

• Kenjo No Ai - jdrama special and very provacative
  • Helter Kelter - very weird
  • Oldboy - very taboo
  • Oasis - taboo and weird
  • Markova: Confort Gay (Philippines) - taboo

Recommend:

Tokyo Idols
Japanese Girls Never Die
Night Flight
Last Life In The Universe +1 @PrettyCarEye it's one of my favorites too.
A Brand New Life
One Child Nation (2019) 
Under the Sun (2015) 

Undo
Small Talk
Angels Wear White
Green Tea
Never Forever
Till Death Do Us Part (2011)

River's Edge
Helter Skelter
37 seconds

(Please be careful with tags before watching, some of them could spoil all the plot)

PrettyCarEye:
Thanks for asking this question because I love weird ass movies too! Looking forward to all the suggestions you'll get ... hopefully I won't have seen any or many of them. So here are my recs, which I didn't find on your ptw:

Welcome to the club of weird movie tastes lmao a lot of people posted many suggestions so feel free to browse around this thread :D 

Gooddd, love the premise of Visitor Q  sounds exactly like the type of movie I was looking for. Thank you! 

Since you recommended me so many wonderful titles, don't mind if I do the same! 

• The Poet and The Boy
  • The Isle 
  • Alice: Boy from Wonderland 2015
  • All About Lily Chou Chou 
  • Hansel and Gretel 2007
  • I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK 
  • Save The Green Planet!
  • The Queen of Crime 2016
  • Barbie 2016
 Tsulaa:

I am so glad you asked for this! I've been searching using different tags such as "Mature," etc., but not a lot of results are what I'm looking for. I never thought to ask in the Forum! lol Smart move!  I'm definitely taking notes from some of these responses!

Btw, I thought Call Boy was interesting for reasons other than sex for sex's sake (that's my best "on the fly" attempt to not drop spoilers). The same can be said of Love's Whirlpool, as well. 

I know that feeling all too well lol it's hard to find such movies via tags and google. Feel free to browse around this thread there are a lot of suggestions already :) 

Also, ty for the recommendations!

Czakhareina:
I second Moebius. Kim Kiduk films are always weird, but this definite took the cake and the icing of weird and also taboo.. So his other works to watch are Beautiful and 3-iron.

Man Kim Ki Duk is my favorite director, I love all of his movies! 

I never heard of Markova and the plot is exactly what I was looking for, you definitely hit the nail on the head with this rare gem :D Thank you so much!

acom:
Recommend:

Tokyo Idols
Japanese Girls Never Die

Thank you for all the great recommendations! Love how you included docu films I was looking for those as well :D 

Surprised no one has mentioned Strange Circus yet. This is hands down the WEIRDEST movie I have ever watched and I can legit only recommend to those that are mature enough to handle adult/ disturbing themes.

Btw thank you for this post- I will be watching ALL of the recommendations ^_^