Hi guys, Wednes here :) 

This might be a dead thread because I'm super late to watch Six Flying Dragons (I know...), but I'm going to share this anyway. I just went past episode 11 last night, and I'm here particularly because of this  scene and song that Ddang Sae / Byun Yohan performed in that episode. I'm going to gather different interpretations of this song by other Koreans and also attempt to share my thoughts on this at the same time. Hope it helps future viewers of this drama to understand the song more, and hope this brings back memories for those who've seen it already.

First of all, the song is called  청산별곡 (靑山別曲) pronounced /cheong-san-byeol-gok/  and it's a song from Goryeo era (year of 918 - 1392). It was created and shared by mouth (no written record) and the lyrics are in Goryeo version of Korean. In the drama, the melody has been changed (at the same time, it was obviously impossible to know the exact original melody from that time) and the lyrics were switched from Goryeo Korean to a more modern version of Old Korean, Joseon Korean. There are many interpretations of this song, and it's still mandatory for students to interpret this song in school up until today.

THE TITLE: 청산별곡 (靑山別曲) 

1. 청산 /cheong-san/ literally means an "evergreen mountain". 

In Korean, the colors 'blue' and 'green' are very much alike. There are many nouns to describe the two colors and many other colors in between them. For example, you may see a Korean person saying "It's blue light" or even "It's aquamarine light" when green traffic light is on. In the same way, 청 /cheong/ is used in modern day to describe 'blue' more often than 'green', and you can see that in 청바지 /cheong-ba-ji/ which means 'blue jeans' or simply 'jeans' because we all know its color. Here 'cheong' color is used to describe the word 산 /san/ which means "mountain", thus automatically makes it rather 'green' than 'blue'.

In this song, 청산 /cheong-san/ is not only just a mountain. It portrays a place where it's "evergreen". In Goryeo era where the people were having a difficult time, they all dreamed of this beautiful imaginary place where the land would be perfect for growing crops, and where everyone could live peacefully and freely. So, Cheongsan did not really exist, but it serves as a symbolic subject of this song.

2. 별곡 /byeol-gok/ is one of Goryeo era's types of song.

No, 별 /byeol/ here does not mean "star" as you all think ^ㅂ^... 별곡 /byeol-gok/ is a type of songs from that era. It has a specific structure where it would start with something, followed by something, and ends with something. I apologize that a Korean-American like me can only know that much. I doubt that high school students in Korea these days actually know its exact structure as well though. Anyway, I know for sure that in this type of music, 3 songs are performed in a specific order to sound complete. I still don't know whether this 청산별곡 /cheong-san-byeol-gok/ is three songs combined into one, or whether it's just one out of the three. My parents and grandparents don't even know.

3. In conclusion, Korean people in Goryeo time sang this song to express their hope for a better place to live and to escape reality.

THE LYRICS 

Original lyrics written in Old Korean letters cannot be typed, so please refer to this  image file from Namu Wiki. Below are the lyrics, which as I've mentioned earlier, in Joseon language (not original), which is also not the same version as appeared in Six Flying Dragons either. I'll add the drama version below.

(Verse 1) 살어리 살어리랏다, 청산(靑山)에 살어리랏다

멀위다래랑 먹고, 청산(靑山)에 살어리랏다

얄리 얄리 얄 셩, 얄라리 얄라

I want to live, I want to live in Cheongsan
I want to live in Cheongsan
while eating 'meoru' (crimson glory vine) and 'darae' (hardy kiwi)
Yalli yalli yallang sheong, yallari yalla

(Verse 2) 우러라 우러라 새여, 자고 니러 우러라 새여

널라와 시름 한 나도 자고 니러 우니노라

얄리 얄리 얄 셩, 얄라리 얄라

Cry, cry, bird, sleep and wake up and cry, bird
I, who have more worries than you,
also sleep, wake up and cry
Yalli yalli yalla sheong, yallari yalla

(Verse 3) 가던 새 가던 새 본다, 믈 아래 가던 새 본다

잉무든 장글란 가지고, 믈 아래 가던 새 본다

얄리 얄리 얄라셩, 얄라리 얄라

I look at the birds that were flying away
I look at the birds flying down the river
As they take rusty gardening tools with them,
I look at the birds flying down the river

(Verse 4) 이링공 뎌링공 하야 나즈란 디내와손뎌

오리도 가리도 업슨 바므란 또 엇디 호리라

얄리 얄리 얄라셩, 얄라리 얄라

The day has managed to go by somehow
But what are we going to do about
the night that nobody will come by or leave

(Verse 5) 어듸라 더디던 돌코, 누리라 마치던 돌코

믜리도 괴리도 업시 마자셔 우니노라

얄리 얄리 얄라셩, 얄라리 얄라

Where is that stone aimed at?
Who is that stone trying to hit?
Without anyone to hate or love,
the person is crying after getting hit by a stone

(Verse 6) 살어리 살어리랏다, 바라래 살어리랏다

나마자기 구조개랑 먹고, 바라래 살어리랏다

얄리 얄리 얄라셩, 얄라리 얄라

I want to live, I want to live at the sea
I want to live at the sea
while eating 'namoonjae' (sea-blites) and 'oysters'

(Verse 7) 가다가 가다가 드로라, 에졍지 가다가 드로라

사사미 장대예 올아셔 해금(奚琴)을 혀거를 드로라

얄리 얄리 얄라셩, 얄라리 얄라

I hear, I hear as I walk to the outdoor kitchen
I hear the sound of a deer playing ' haegeum'
(Korean instrument)
as the deer climbs up that wooden pole

(Verse 8) 가다니 배 브른 도긔 설진 강수를 비조라

조롱곳 누로기 매와 잡사와니, 내 엇디 하리잇고

얄리 얄리 얄라셩, 얄라리 얄라

A very strong liquor is being brewed inside a fat jar as I (try to) leave,
but its strong spicy smell just like the smell of 'calabash' (bottle gourd)
is holding me back, oh, what am I supposed to do?

* Here are some variations of the original version performed in modern day: 123,...
Note that the melody is different from Six Flying Dragons version

INTERPRETATION / NOTES 

1. Yalli yalli yalla sheong, yallari yalla

This line is said to be a mimicry of musical instrument sounds. In verse 1, it is "yalli yalli yallang sheong" while in other verses it's "yalli yalli yalla sheong". It also appears as a legendary question on Korean students' college entrance exam today. While the melody might sound sad and yearning, the use of 'L' and 'Y' sounds indicate the originator's intention in sounding energetic and hopeful.

2. The use of symbolism in the lyrics:

•  Cheongsan (verse 1) & sea (verse 6) = ideal evergreen place to live at

•  Birds (verse 2, 3) = the counterpart of 'me' / a free person who can leave to live in a better place / a lover who has left / the fields I used to cultivate on which were once evergreen / a companion who helps soothe my grief

Meoru & darae (verse 1) & namoonjae & oysters (verse 6) = abundant amount of food / symbol of a good life

•  Night (verse 4) = loneliness / pain of being ignored (by my homeland)

•  Stone (verse 5) = the unfair treatments innocent people receive during that period of time / the struggle of life

•  'Cry, cry, birds' (verse 2) = sometimes translated to 'sing, sing, birds' (refer to 'birds' above) as in 'I, who have more worries than you, are still singing, so why don't you sing too?' indicating a hopeful message which is most likely directed to the singer himself because the 'birds' are already gone to have a good life

'I hear a deer playing haegeum' (verse 7) = I dream of an impossible event / I hope for a better life / sometimes interpreted as 'I hear a person playing haegeum' meaning 'I listen to the sound of music to forget this miserable life' / can also indicate the performance of deer-masked vagabonds who performed (for money and) for the entertainment of people back in the days, also giving hope for a better life

'The strong smell of liquor is holding me back' (verse 8) = as I try to leave to a better place, the 'liquor' or toxic life/obligations/country is holding me back / I might be the culprit of my own despair because I'm drawn to this liquor which is bad for my health but I'm addicted to it anyway

3. To sum up the topic of each verse...

Verse 1 [Longing for a better place to live],
Verse 2 [Sorrow of live],
Verse 3 [Lingering affection and regret towards current society],
Verse 4 [Despair of being left behind],
Verse 5 [Unfairness of life],
Verse 6 [Longing for a better place to live],
Verse 7 [Desperate feeling towards life],
Verse 8 [Reality]

Off the records, this song and many other songs and topics in Six Flying Dragons remind me so much of Les Miserables and The Hunger Games (especially the song 'The Hanging Tree') Let's go back and appreciate  Jeong Dojeon's 'No Difference' (무이이야 /mu-i-i-ya/) at Jangpyeong Gate for a minute.

THE SIX FLYING DRAGONS VERSION 

1. This version, performed by Byun Yohan (Ddang Sae / Lee Bangji) in the series, uses the melody from an Israeli traditional song called Erev Shel Shoshanim (Evening of Roses). There are many versions available online, but this is my personal favorite (after skimming through ~10 of them). I know nothing about this song or language, so feel free to correct me if you have additional information.

2. Here comes the lyrics of this version and its romanized lyrics for you to sing along. It uses the most modernized language out of all those versions, and it only has the lyrics from verses 1, 2 and 5 of the original version.

(Verse 1) 살어리 살어리랏다, 청산에 살어리랏다

sa - reo - ri - sa - reo - ri - rat - da / cheong - sa - ne - sa - reo - ri - rat - da

멀위랑 다래랑 먹고, 청산에 살어리랏다

meol - wi - rang - ta - rae - rang - meok - go / cheong - sa - ne - sa - reo - ri - rat - da

(Verse 2) 울어라 울어라 새야, 자고 일어나 울어라 새야

u - reo - ra - u - reo - ra - sae - ya / sha - go - i - reo - na - u - reo - ra - sae - ya

너보다 시름 많은 나도 일어나 우는구나

neo - bo - da - shi - reum - ma - neun - na - do / i - reo - na - u - neun - gu - na

얄리 얄리 얄라셩, 얄라리 얄라

yal - li - yal - li - yal - la - sheong / yal - la - ri - yal - la

얄리 얄리 얄라셩, 얄라리 얄라

(Verse 5) 누구에게 던지던 돌이냐, 누구를 맞히려던 돌이냐

nu - gu - e - ge - teon - ji - deon - to - ri - nya / nu - gu - reul - ma - chi - ryeo - deon - to - ri - nya

미운이도 고운이도 없이 맞아서 죽는구나

mi - u - ni - do - ko - u - ni - do - eob - shi / ma - ja - seo - shoong - neun - gu - na

얄리 얄리 얄라셩, 얄라리 얄라

얄리 얄리 얄라셩, 얄라리 얄라

Also, don't forget to listen to the version sung by Lee Chohee (Gap Boon) and Byun Yohan together: here 
(Her voice is sooooo sweet! This one really reminds me of 'The Hanging Tree' from The Hunger Games. I don't even know why...)

References: 12, mom, grandpa, and dad who didn't really help at all

Article by me [email protected]

Please kindly link back to this page if wish to share :)

For some reason, I cannot edit the original post o_O
I need to change the translation for verse 5:
from " Without anyone to hate or love, the person is crying after getting hit by a stone" ✘
to " Even without anyone to hate or love, a person would still cry if he's hit by a stone" ✔
Also, in the SFD version, that part has slightly different lyrics which is:
" Even without anyone to hate or love, a person would still 'die' if he's hit by a stone"

The direct link to the original lyrics in old Korean letters doesn't seem to work, so here I re-uploaded it:
WDRX4sX.png

That's all ♡
this scene and the  last fight between  Gil Tae Mi and Lee Bang Ji are my fav scenes.

the song is so emotional , i remember the melody piercing my heart when i was watching and i could not stop crying..
the Israeli song you've linked is  good too ,even though not understanding a word it gives you many feels

the latter fight scene , in my opinion is one of the best sword action. It is so dynamic, powerful and meaningful. Gil Tae Mi's speech here is so relevant in today's world as well. 
I hope i am not spoiling a lot for you

I just can't stop talking about it coz i love it soo much.

But unfortunately, i've yet to finish watching this. I was watching it while it was airing,  but somehow i could not dare watch after ep 41, I know i should pick it up again but somehow i hold it off.
@atslipinbag: I was actually keeping my fingers crossed as I read your comment! It turns out that you didn't spoil me much. I'm gonna catch up with you soon :P Even if I'm still on episode 12, I'm loving it so much since the beginning. I really think you should continue.
That was very interesting thank you for making time to write this❤️ i was so intrigued by the songs and the history behind SFD i remeber looking up the lyrics and memorizing  무이이야 and 청산별곡 and would find myself singing it very often and that led me to discover the beautiful art of 구각, 판소리  ...ugh if only i new MDL then and we were watching it together i imagine you would've made awesome threads about this, don't worry it is never too late to share your thoughts on this and i will look forward to your posts about it  :)
i just discovered ur review on one drama, then followed to ur other reviews and then found this article. im so glad. sfd was the only long drama i genuinely enjoyed from beginning till the end. i did look up translations for this song and it was a bit different (loose) than this one. thank u for ur insights. i cant believe i learned just now that the melody is not original. i thought it was very korean-ish if u know what i mean. it turns out to be from israel. great melody as well. i still miss ddang sae and the rest of the crew. phenomenal drama.
@peacefulsoul: If I knew MDL earlier (I only discovered this site and joined in April this year), I would've seen a lot more amazing dramas including this one as well. Thank you for reading. Glad I'm of some help!

@geurae: I guess you saw my review on My Paparotti? I saw your comment on that review just a minute ago. Sorry for the late reply. (Oh, wait, you said drama. Which drama though?) I understand when you say the melody is Korean-ish. I think they put a lot of thoughts into which melody they'd use for this remake. Thank you for reading!

This song is on repeat in my head right now. This information - all of it - is fascinating!!! Thank you so much for sharing it.