Make impossible to rate uncompleted dramas

This discussion has been closed.

For people who argue " let's rate only after the drama aired", let me say this is exactly the same problem in my mind. If I drop a drama while it's airing and I can't rate it, do you expect me to get back to its page two months later to rate it? By then, I may well have forgotten the whole story already. So it's the same as giving an advantage to those who will complete it while it's airing. (Hence, people who liked it more than I did, as I explained above.) Sure, it won't be as much if it's just during the airing period, but that's still favoritism.

PS: About the reviews, I agree that it's better if we can't write them while it's airing... unless we dropped the drama. BUT the  reviews for dropped dramas should be available only after the drama finished airing. This way, no one has the advantage.

Personally, I don't rate dramas that I don't finish but I also don't drop dramas and instead put them on hold. Whether or not I actually return to them is another matter. Sometimes you might not be in the right mood to enjoy the drama or it might not be the type of drama you want to watch at the moment. I've seen some people watch say 25% of a drama, drop it and assign a rating which I don't really get. Would you watch 30 minutes of a 2 hour movie, turn it off and give it a rating? Dramas are a much bigger investment in terms of time spent so I understand why people will drop them if they don't like what they've watched but I don't think it's fair to rate a piece of work that you haven't watched in full.  Obviously you can judge what you have watched up until that point but I don't see why it's necessary to assign a rating.  Most likely, if someone sees that you have dropped a drama, they'll assume that you didn't like what you watched up to that point.

With dramas I put on hold, I usually will make little notes about what I liked or disliked up to that point and if the positives outweighed the negatives I might consider picking it back up in the future.

To be honest, I don't really put much stock into ratings but rather what people have to say about the dramas. Especially when it comes to new dramas where the ratings seem to be inflated. But as mentioned before, ratings are subjective and people have different standards/criteria. 

I kind of like the idea of using the episode guide to keep track of thoughts you may have for each episode so that by the end of the drama, you have a clearer idea of what you liked/disliked about it.

Ah, here it goes. I was wondering. :p 

All the opinions I ever see about not wanting to allow rating an airing drama are always because the people arguing for it don't like to do it themselves. :p Again, it all comes down to personal prefrence on how a person chooses to rate and when. It literally has zero impact on anyone else if a person rates as they watch, like how I and many others do. It is actually more helpful overall by showing the general rating of airing dramas, how they are being recieved as they are progressing. This is pretty much how every show in the history of broadcasting is calculated and rated. Television companies don't just put out a whole season of a show and wait to rate it until after the season has ended. They see how viwers are reacting to it along the way. I will never ynderstand why this is such an issue for people.

Bottom line: It is very simple. If you don't like rating an airing show or a drama until you finish it, then don't, but stop trying to force others to do the same. 

I seriously don't get the drama. If you guys are against this suggestion - then don't vote. But everyone else has the right to vote if they are for it. In the end it is up to admins to decide if they will implement the suggestion or not. 

As for me, I think that nobody should be able to rate/review anything unless they complete or drop a drama/film.

I honestly don't care whether people assign ratings to dramas because like I said I prefer to seek out the reasons as to why they rated the dramas. But I don't think it's accurate to say rating a drama as it airs has no impact on anyone else. I see a lot of people checking out new dramas solely because it has a high rating. The issue is there isn't a way to separate ratings from those that dropped it/currently watching and those that completed it. I notice a lot of new dramas that only have aired a few episodes have a disproportionate amount of 10s which inflate their ratings. Take for instance the new drama, Mother. It's currently airing but since it has 250+ ratings, it's already counted as one of the top dramas despite not having finished airing.  

The difference between some Asian dramas and western dramas is that for the most part, Asian dramas are one and done, sort of like Western miniseries. Some people rate season by season then as a complete series but usually review sites rate the tv series based on screeners for the first half of a season they receive. Which isn't accurate as well but some people love ratings and will base their opinion on numbers instead of what is actually being said. 

I'm not advocating for people to do this or that, my concern is more with the site's feature that it allows currently airing dramas with >250+ ratings to be counted as one of the top shows.

Jay:
I'm not advocating for people to do this or that, my concern is more with the site's feature that it allows currently airing dramas with >250+ ratings to be counted as one of the top shows.

Hmm are you talking about Top Airing Shows or? Because that is determined by the number of members that have put that drama on their lists. It actually shows which dramas are currently the most popular.

No drama here (as far as i know ^^), but for this suggestion 'not voting' is not exactly the same as 'to vote against'. Still, I understand the arguments in favor of the suggestion but again, why shouldn't we consider a hype vote as a genuine vote ? With hype votes comes great resp anti-hype kind of votes too. As nastou19 said earlier, it's not even important, the whole thing will correct itself by people who're going to actually complete/drop the drama.
There's even people that have completed a drama and did not rated it at all, and still, these people ARE participating in the voting system too (it's a kind of a missing vote, but still a kind of vote). And we should consider this : have a look at the finished dramas scored with a 9 rating (here I'm not talking about airing ones).
There's little wonder as to why they reach 9 ratings. These are the best dramas we could watch as of now and they still have probably 'beneficiated' from hype, anti-hype, fangirling, completed, dropping, bashing, missing votes, etc
As for me, my only point of concern in MDL is the use of common expression like 'actors chemistry' and 'ooh-my-god-this-is-the-best-drama-i-have-ever-seen', especially when these two are close together. But that's another story entirely ^^.

Ceki:

Hmm are you talking about Top Airing Shows or? Because that is determined by the number of members that have put that drama on their lists. It actually shows which dramas are currently the most popular.

No, if you select top shows and sort it by top rated, it's there on the second page at #28. Sure, you can filter it out by completed but the fact that it's included as one of the top rated shows overall despite still airing is kind of odd. A Korean Odyssey is also there on the third page and I think that's currently airing too. 

Ceki:

I seriously don't get the drama. If you guys are against this suggestion - then don't vote. But everyone else has the right to vote if they are for it. In the end it is up to admins to decide if they will implement the suggestion or not. 

As for me, I think that nobody should be able to rate/review anything unless they complete or drop a drama/film.

As mediaklan said, "not voting isn't like "voting against". If we had minus votes, I would just do that. But this suggestion once received many votes. If people hadn't said out loud that they were against it, MDL might have adopted it already. That's why I had to voice my opinion on that.
By the way, I like the idea of the hype rating before it airs ^^ It would be helpful since there isn't a hub anymore.

In a way, I agree. I feel like people shouldn't rate a drama they haven't seen at least 50% of it. If necessary we can push for at least a minimum of 5/16 out of the average k-drama episodes

Because it doesn't make sense to rate a drama low just because you decided to drop it at ep 2. The drama barely started (unless it's a J-drama). You can hate it but your rating shouldn't mess up the system. 

Also, not everyone who finishes a drama = they love it??? I completed a drama and still rated it a 4/10.

However, I don't care about ratings in general because they all are usually over-rated. I just worry over those below 7.5 because if a 8.5 drama is bad for me... Then jesus christ, how much worse is the lower rated dramas?? 

Ratings on currently-airing dramas should not be permitted.

Ratings of less than 10.0 on Nishino Nanase Dramas (NNDs) should not be permitted.

Ratings on non-NNDs should be submitted via a dissertation process.

Jay:
it's included as one of the top rated shows overall despite still airing is kind of odd.

I see. Yes, it's weird. Perhaps it's a bug :/

nastou19:
But this suggestion once received many votes. If people hadn't said out loud that they were against it, MDL might have adopted it already.

Well, that's the point of these suggestions and voting :D They can't please everyone and it is logical that they will go with the majority. I just said I don't get the dramatic comments such as "stop voting on this suggestion" etc. If a suggestion gets 100+ votes and there is only like a dozen people against it, it's just the way it is.

Kokkuri:

Ratings on currently-airing dramas should not be permitted.

Ratings of less than 10.0 on Nishino Nanase Dramas (NNDs) should not be permitted.

Ratings on non-NNDs should be submitted via a dissertation process.

looool Panda-kun?

Ceki. The reason why people like me comment to this suggestion is because it keeps coming up, even after Skye said last time that they are not planning to make it impossible to rate currently airing dramas. It is very annoying to keep seeing this suggestion and to keep reading about people who don't personally like doing it themselves try and make it so the rest of us that do are made to stop. That is a lot more unfair, imo, then a dropped drama being rated. I think admins need to make a public statement about this, so the arument will stop popping up all the time again. Like a sticky note or something, instead of just a reply to the suggestion. That way, people will have a better chance of seeing and reading it and this argument might finally stop for good.

Also, the reason we speak up, instead of just not voting, is because this is a discussion thread and the point of the suggestion forums, I think anyway, is to discuss the suggestion stated. I usually ignore them, but when it is about a feature I use all the time and one I feel strongly about, of course I am going to pipe up and give my 2¢ on why I disagree with it. :p

I made a suggestion on the previous page about what to do with the problem of rating a drama or movie before it is aired, but that is a seperate issue.

Ceki:

Also. Meant to add this but forgot. Do you not seriously get that all a person has to do is mark they completed it or dropped it so they can vote? :p How productive would that restiction be, really? The way rating works is so that people have the freedom and choice to decide how they feel about a drama. You really can only allow it freely or do away with it completely for it to even be a usable feature. Otherwise, the whole use of ratings will be pointless. ;) 

Ceki:
there is only like a dozen people against it

That's the issue : you can't know how many people are against it unless ... we were to create a voting topic against this suggestion. An idea which is already boring me to no-end.

RoseRain:
Because it doesn't make sense to rate a drama low just because you decided to drop it at ep 2

Actually, it makes sense. Rince, repeat : If you decided to drop it at episode 2, then 'something' important to you wasn't there to push you further on the drama.
I would even say it's a dramatic drama epic fail ^^
Usually, there's more invested in the very first episodes of a drama (the first episodes are always trying to catch the viewers attention), so if it fails there ... ouch. Thus : a dropped drama usually means a very bad rating is closing in.