Make impossible to rate uncompleted dramas

This discussion has been closed.

I think you should still be able to rate dramas while they are airing. But making a review? No. 

Like it was stated before: rating dramas is something completely subjective. Actually, if I say so myself, the great marjority of this site (me included) rates and reviews based solely on their perceptions and overall enjoyment, not really considering the technicalities which only critics or someone who studied about cinematography, for example, can do.

But again, nobody really needs to understand about the subject to have their opinion. 

I don't really know how to put it (the language barrier is killing me), but maybe we could have a system that points out the margin of error of the ratings. I read here that (correct me if I'm wrong) in a drama used as example, only 4% of viewers actually completed it. So if possible, it would be good if the ratings had a margin of error pointed out, because it can include the people who dropped the drama and the ones who actually completed it.

However, I don't know if it's possible or if this even makes sense. Not great at maths to be honest, much less programming. even my english sucks

But maybe another option would to make this site a bit like Rotten Tomatoes for example. We have the opinion of the "critics", the ones who actually watched it entirely and reviewed it properly (because really, some "reviews" look like comments) and the opinion of the public, which includes who put on hold, or who dropped, or even who watched everything but won't make a review. 

Overall opinions are subjective. So ratings end up subjective as well. What I love may be trash for other people. The best we could try to do is be as just as possible, I guess.

CherryBunny:
I really, really think the whole trend lately of trying to force people to manage their lists and experiences like others needs to stop. It's seriously becoming an issue with all these forceful suggestions and telling people they are wrong to not rate/review/manage things like you want them to.

I agree with you.

It's enough that people have different systems of rating. For example some people seldom give a rating lower than 5 or 6 while others utilize the extremes of the scale. Ratings for the most part will stay subjective just like people's taste of drama. I personally use ratings not to project to others my opinion of a drama cause I think so highly of myself and that my opinion holds so much value(because let's be real: I'd be a terrible critic), but to manage my watched list better (it gives a quick visual of what dramas I enjoyed and didn't without having to remember & recall). So you bet your ass I influence the ratings in that annoying subjective way. A lot of people rate based on personal enjoyment (I've seen it be admitted on few of people's profiles). So at the end of the day the ratings will never be a true critical objective representation of a drama. That's why rotten tomatoes divides their ratings & reviews between the critics & the regular viewers. I am sorry honey, but this is not the academy or the Oscars; Not everyone wants to act a critic. So restricting people to meet your standard is not only useless but is reaching.  
Looking up comments and reviews before picking up a drama is far more useful and helpful than a single digit. They can point out plotholes or warn of bad endings and etc. So no matter how hard you'll try to restrict & control, the rating feature on a drama page will never be truly useful tool to help gage a drama.
That being said, I support not allowing people to hype a drama before it even airs. But with dropped dramas? Well I'd say there are exceptions like episodic dramas that have a standard pattern, where seeing a couple episodes is enough to gage whether you dislike it or not. Other reasons could be that it depicts sensitive subjects (like violence & abuse against women or rape) in a wrong way (like it glides over/makes it seem acceptable or unimportant, etc.), and you might drop the drama & rate it poorly to convey that you don't condone (a promotion of) such behavior (but only if you read the warning comments & know for a fact that negative behavior by a character never got reprimanded (most common with Thai dramas & their love for what they call slap&kiss genre). or if the drama is just too cringy (a combination of bad script, poor production, and/or cringy acting) - usually more  common with short web dramas. I would discourage rating a dropped/unfinished dramas for your regular typical dramas but I wouldn't restrict it to all dramas cause that treats dramas like they're all the same. As for airing dramas? My 2cents is that it makes no difference if you decide to drop a drama while it's airing & leave a low rating or if you do it after it finishes airing. I guess the only difference is that you can spoil the ending (to see if it gets any better), but then again not all do. Some just drop, rate, and move on. I'd say maybe make a little a caution on drama pages or when you click to rate, with a little message asking to discourage such behavior so that people can be at least more aware of the issue since not everyone visits the forums . You can also separate the ratings whether it'd be:
a separate personal rating on your list - your personal rating of the drama - and one on the drama page - your more objective rating that you want to project to the world. (ik it sounds a bit silly)Then I'd just substitute with a simpler " I -- this drama" rating system on the lists page to help sort your dramas. And the ratings would be like: I enjoyed this drama/ Did not enjoy this drama/ I liked this drama so-so -- or something like that with a simple system.
Or like mentioned above separate the dropped ratings in statistic.

And to add: I understand the suggestions to restrict & control the reviews (this is where you need to be more "professional" & critical, etc.) - but with ratings? Like, really?

What do you call "a regular typical drama"? How would you choose them? Maybe it's the language barrier as someone said earlier but I don't get your point. If I understood you correctly, that would be unfair for some dramas.

I find the ratings on MDL quite accurate, unlike other websites, including professional websites.  And there is a reason for that. On a professional website, you'll have less opinions, less points of views. Hence, what you'll get is something only a few people who are always together agree on. On a community as huge as MDL, it's impossible to have a common scale without people disagreeing. And that's GREAT. This way, we can see many objections to good and bad ratings alike. A few movies in history had really bad critics before it aired, but when they got released, the public praised them a lot.

Also, if as Plushie said, only 4% of viewers completed a drama, doesn't this mean that this drama was so bad that 96% of them dropped it? Then, why shouldn't the bad ratings show in the overall rating? And again, I mean EQUALLY show in the overal rating. It simply reflects the truth: many people didn't like it.

I'm just asking to vote in a more objective and serious way. but it seems that here you are more worried about being able to do what you want without rules instead of using common sense. I remain of my idea, the votes on MDL are not worth anything because too many users vote not seriously , if you are good to have votes that express the false, happy you. It's not good for me and I stopped relying on the rating a long time ago. I'm only sorry to see an MDL resource wasted this way.  Bye

Poia, again you are telling people to do it *your* way. That is what it comes down to. There are rules on MDL. They are there to keep us all safe and comfortable. We do not need rules for controlling our thoughts or opinions, however. I don't understand why you are so passive agressive about it though. No one is trying to force you to rate anything you don't want to rate.  

nastou19:
Also, if as Plushie said, only 4% of viewers completed a drama, doesn't this mean that this drama was so bad that 96% of them dropped it? Then, why shouldn't the bad ratings show in the overall rating? And again, I mean EQUALLY show in the overal rating. It simply reflects the truth: many people didn't like it.

I think you misinterpreted this example. The original poster used this example about a currently airing drama. At that time, close to 900 people rated the drama but only 34 people had actually completed the drama. 

Personally, I don't see why it's necessary to assign a rating to a drama that you haven't completely finished. If you dropped a drama, most people would probably assume you didn't like the drama. For instance, I watched 13-14 episodes of The Heirs and absolutely hated it. But that means I only completed 65-70% of the drama and i'm missing 30-35% of the story and thus don't feel it's fair for me to rate it. 

I think one of the issues with rating currently airing dramas is the fact that they're allowed to be counted in as one of the top rated dramas if they receive more than 250 ratings. I would like Mydramalist to not allow dramas to be counted as one of the top rated dramas until the drama has finished airing so at the very least there's a greater chance that more people have completed the drama.

I agree with CherryBunny on this. That is your way of thinking, not everyone's. I hated The Heirs, I dropped it and I rated it. Badly at that. Why? Because if all those who didn't like it and choose to dropped it hadn't rated it, this drama would have a score higher than it already is, which wouldn't reflect the overall thinking of viewers. Moreover, as someone stated earlier, I also rate the drama to know which one I like better, completed or not. If I can't do that here, it's pretty bothersome to keep track of them.
If you use this website regularly, you'll see airing dramas ratings change greatly between the airing period and after that. The hype isn't there anymore so the ratings adjuste by themselves. From what I remember, it was the case with The Heirs. So, with just a little patience, the problem stop being a problem.

My point is this is how I read ratings : at one point in time, people here on MDL love this drama more or less giving the current rating. If it's currently airing, I know I should take into consideration the hype. If not, then I actually find it pretty trustworthy.

By the way, Poia, I do vote in an objective and serious way, using common sense. And I'm pretty sure everyone here does the same in their own way. We don't have the same criterias, that's all.

And I'll stop argumenting after that because I'll start repeating myself.

Well since I used the example of The Heirs, I'll continue with that. The Heirs has 26,000 ratings and 30,000 have completed it while 2,500 have dropped it. Not everyone drops a drama if they don't like it in the beginning. The Heirs is the only drama that I watched more than 50% but haven't completed. Surely, the 2,500 that dropped the drama would give it a "bad" rating so I would like to see how much of an impact that had on the overall rating as it stands now. Which leads to a possible suggestion:

I think it would be interesting if MDL could add a feature so that we can see more advanced/detailed statistics. For example, we can see the ratings overall (like we have now) but also more detailed ratings that only present the overall rating by those that completed a drama and the overall rating given by those that dropped a drama or those that are currently watching. This allows things to stay the same but people that want a more in-depth look at the ratings will have that option. I don't know how much effort is required to implement this but MDL has evolved quite a bit in the last little while thanks to the tireless work put in by all those involved so i'm sure they can think of a way.

Yeah, I agree with you on about currently airing dramas and the hype surrounding them especially if they're starring popular actors,

It's not necessary to respond to me, I'm just presenting the other side of the argument so that if anyone is reading this they can come to their own conclusion.

https://mydramalist.com/profile/TejuosoAyomide/reviews/37621

This needs to be stopped. What's the point of Episode Reviews?

I must admit the whole 'Episode Reviews' section seems pointless. I, for myself, have never used it (as far as I remember) and do not plan to use it either.
Moreover, this section is almost a spoiler advertisement free ticket.

@Ceki

I agree but was told that MDL now lets people review currently airing dramas. I had been reporting them up until Hessa told me of the rule change. 

mediaklan:

I must admit the whole 'Episode Reviews' section seems pointless. I, for myself, have never used it (as far as I remember) and do not plan to use it either.
Moreover, this section is almost a spoiler advertisement free ticket.

Out of curiosity, why don't you use them? Is there anything that would prompt you [and others] to use them more?

Skye-N-Rain:

Out of curiosity, why don't you use them? Is there anything that would prompt you [and others] to use them more?

For the few times I felt the need to talk about a specific episode, it's usually closer to sections already in place, like the "comments" section (to ... comment on a specific scene) or the forum (specifically asking about something I didn't understand). But since I'm (usually) not a "currently-airing" drama viewer type-of-guy, leaving a review for something I've not completed would (probably) leave an aftertaste in my mind. I can totally understand the need to talk about a specific scene/episode but writing a review about every episodes ? ... as far as I'm concerned, too much work ^^.
Note that it doesn't make it a good reason to dismiss Episode Review, it's just not really that useful *to me*.