Make impossible to rate uncompleted dramas

This discussion has been closed.

Poia:

I was against rating a drop drama, but in the last period I start to change my mind for different reasons. So I start to rate dropped drama too. 

But objectively speaking I still think that the overall rating should be divided between completed and drop, or at least add some stats that show where the rating came from. Like the age stats. 

The best solution in my opinion would be to allow to rate only each single episode and use those rating to generate the overall rating of the drama. So who complete the drama will affect the rating more than who drop it.  And it would be more realistic.  Unless I am missing some parameter we should consider. 

I agree with you on this but personally find it's not very practical to rate each episode individually simply because of how much time it takes in comparison. I would rather rate once and have a division that says what ratings were given by people who completed the drama and those who dropped it or have my rating count in the overall rating in percentage of how much of the drama I watched. I mean if we can see age stats and their ratings it should be possible to do the same with completed/dropped. 

I think a rating per episode wouldn't be realistic as I can imagine that some people wouldn't bother taking their time to rate each episode. Specially with long dramas that's taking a while so I think some ratings would simply be missing because of this. There should be a better solution possible than having to rate each episode. 

Well of course users are the main problem when it came to rating. If we follow every concerns there will never be a solution that makes everyone happy. For example the idea to close the rating until the show ends was turn down cause it upset who drop drama and wants to rate immediately, cause if they wait the ending they forget to go back and rate.  

Having more stats related to the rating system is the only improvement the admins can do, at least at the moment. Who is more sensitive about rating can check out the stats and who is not sensitive can go on like nothing change. 

Rating each episode(optional) is coming and more stats. We don't have an ETA.

This sounds good. ^^

For my 2 cents on this - I don't think we should ever censor anyones right to comment, however as a READER I would like to filter based on some criteria.

E.g. I'd like an option that lets me only see the average rating based on people who have completed it, the average rating based on people who have NOT completed it, and the percentage split of a show complete vs non complete.

With that data - I can see whether it's commonly dropped (or commonly completed) - if 80% of people completed it vs 80% of people dropping it, you can immediately tell *something* about the show and how people reacted to it.  I can then read the comments on those that kept up with it as well as those that didn't, clearly by separating them out.

I do the same on Amazon - i'll click on the 4-5 star ratings and see what people who liked it said, and then the 1-2 star ratings and see what turned people off - and see if any of those feel like things that gel with me.

What that does is put the power of choice in the readers control, without censoring the right to review and comment from anyone - which feels like ultimately it would do what everyone wants here?

MattPeddlesden:
For my 2 cents on this - I don't think we should ever censor anyones right to comment, however as a READER I would like to filter based on some criteria.

Agreed, it's actually on our to-do list.

I was thinking along the same lines of Matt where we can see ratings based on different criteria and it can go hand-in-hand with the "dropped" one liner suggestion. But in addition to the one-liner, it'd be nice to also have that Amazon feature where you can filter all reviews/one-liners/comments/notes/etc. that mention commonly used key words. For example, if many people dropped a drama and wrote that they dropped because it was too cliche or the plot sucked starting from episode 16, then you could have buttons under "Read reviews/comments/etc. that mention: "cliche" "episode 16" and people could see how many people found the drama cliche and what else they thought about it. 

An issue with that is not everyone uses the same phrasing so it'd be hard to sort and combine similar keywords (just like the problems with adding tags to titles). If that's the case, maybe there can be a predetermined list of tags/key words to select so everyone's reviews can be consistent and easy to find. Any other words/comments that can't be explained easily by the tags can then be explained via the "one liners." Idk how difficult this whole thing would be to do though, but just a thought.

VERY late to the party on this one, but another loud emphatic, "PLEASE DON'T" vote here.  Given that the overwhelming majority of reviews for Dramas here have scores from 9.0 and up, reviews from people who dropped a Drama serve as a nice counterpoint to the fawning, gushing uncritical "OMG this is THE BEST DRAMA EVAH" template used for somewhere around 90% of all reviews I've seen here so far.  As other have said a drop IS a vote, and should count.

I agree with this suggestion. Daily dramas are the biggest victim of the lack of this feature. Just because some people don't have enough patience to watch daily dramas, they would drop it just for the slightest annoyance. That's why daily dramas have to be perfect just to get better ratings. By better ratings, that means 7.8 to 8.2. As a fan of daily dramas, it really upsets me. There is so much good content in daily dramas, each episode is more compact and fast paced than your typical one hour drama. In one hour dramas, the build is very slow because there is one hour that needs to be filled before the cliff hanger.

Also very late to the party but would also like to add another 'Disagree' to this suggestion. I'm one of those viewers who DO rate all my dropped dramas. I drop them for various reasons:- dislike for certain character types portrayed by the show, dislike for certain themes within the show, show has plenty of plot-holes which doesn't make sense, show seems to encourage certain themes which are distasteful to me, show has terrible acting or bad directing or horrible editing, etc. These issues are valid issues for disliking a show and I don't see why I should be forced to sit through the entire drama just so that I could rate it. 

I also agree with some of the other commenters here: dropping a show IS already giving it a rating (even if some users don't actually rate their dropped shows). 

And finally, does it even really matter what a viewer's reason is for dropping a show? Some viewers rate a show '10' because they like the main actor and completed it, others want to rate a show '1' because they don't like the same actor and dropped it. Both have equal rights to make their opinions felt. Why should we stop them or restrict them?  

Just want to agree with the suggestion about not allowing rating dramas that are currently airing (because it drives me INSANE) but also to add my voice to the others that you should be allowed to rate a drama even if you've dropped it. If it hurts a drama's rating, that sucks, but it will also better reflect the overall audience opinion, and that should ultimately be the goal.

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 Minhyunnn:
I saw earlier someone have a better suggestion which is to have another rating available somewhere you can filter which people rate it: dropped, completed. This is better than taking away the original review that consists of a variety of raters.

There is already a system for that.

Ji-N locked this Feb 6, 2020 08:46 pm