Given how rare that Japanese dramas are subtitled nowadays. It would be very cool if each dramas on my plan to watch list can hae a little circle next to it with a color that tells me if the subtitles are finally  reelased so that i dont have to go down the list manually and see if i would be able to watch it.

54votes

I don't think this is possible as long as there aren't more legal sites to watch J-Dramas. I think MDL doesn't support illegal sites which is what most of the sites are. Unless the show is on Viki, DramaFever (which sucks bc it doesn't work everywhere) Netflix or some other legal site - MDL (imo) can't and shouldn't share the information. 

I think the only thing we as fans can do, is to suggest Japanese dramas to viki. The more suggestions they get, the more possible it is to get a show to viki. For example Kimi wa Petto 2017 is completely subbed on viki now :) 

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
 HAVA-RAVA:

I don't think this is possible as long as there aren't more legal sites to watch J-Dramas. I think MDL doesn't support illegal sites which is what most of the sites are. Unless the show is on Viki, DramaFever (which sucks bc it doesn't work everywhere) Netflix or some other legal site - MDL (imo) can't and shouldn't share the information. 

I think the only thing we as fans can do, is to suggest Japanese dramas to viki. The more suggestions they get, the more possible it is to get a show to viki. For example Kimi wa Petto 2017 is completely subbed on viki now :) 

while I agree with you, I think he is only referring to have a sign that indicates that the shows have complete subs, not a link to where to find them. [Lol, this sounds like Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them :)))] 

Something like this maybe? (excuse my drawing lolz]

A green S that stands for Subtitles. And then it's up to the user to find the (illegal) link to watch the subbed show. You can find most of the illegal/legal links in the comments anyway. :D

Hessa Volunteer Staff

I'm not with or against this, However, I, personally, I think this is something for streaming websites to have, not a database (Wiki and IMDb both don't have this). Moreover, this would only work for people who watch using English subs. 

It might be good to have, but it would mean extra work to maintain and keep updating whenever subs are released.

Moreover, if something is subbed (DVD/airplane/oversees movie premiere) and is not on the internet, what do we do in that case?

Also, do we add it in case it is legal subs or fan subs?

I have conflicting thought so don't mind me, this is just a mental not for me to see when I come across this in the future, to see if I change my mind or not.

@Yuanwei

Exactly. That looks perfect. That would be absolutely brilliant. 

@Hessa

I understand that there can be manpower issues and maybe the update might not be as timely. However, I am sure most users on this site accept it for the imperfections and if I can be pursuing my list and suddenly notice that one of the dramas that I have been  waiting on for an eternity finally has subs... that would be helpful.  

bannie:

@Yuanwei

Exactly. That looks perfect. That would be absolutely brilliant. 

@Hessa

I understand that there can be manpower issues and maybe the update might not be as timely. However, I am sure most users on this site accept it for the imperfections and if I can be pursuing my list and suddenly notice that one of the dramas that I have been  waiting on for an eternity finally has subs... that would be helpful.  

Plus getting a notification about that would be epic. 

Skye-N-Rain:

Plus getting a notification about that would be epic. 

Your existence is epic. 

I think MDL is open for edits too. So it is very simple for anyone to update it. Even I who might not have the talent like all these people who source and update all sorts of information, can click a button next to the drama after I finish an episode to update that Eng subs up till X episode is available.

It's not a bad idea, and perhaps we will add it in down the road. The problem is that we simply have a lack of time in a day to get all the ideas we want up on MDL.

I've been here for half a decade. I have time. 

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
 Hessa:

I'm not with or against this, However, I, personally, I think this is something for streaming websites to have, not a database (Wiki and IMDb both don't have this). Moreover, this would only work for people who watch using English subs. 

It might be good to have, but it would mean extra work to maintain and keep updating whenever subs are released.

Moreover, if something is subbed (DVD/airplane/oversees movie premiere) and is not on the internet, what do we do in that case?

Also, do we add it in case it is legal subs or fan subs?

I have conflicting thought so don't mind me, this is just a mental not for me to see when I come across this in the future, to see if I change my mind or not.

I actually think it's a nice idea which can differentiate MDL from other databases. Especially since we also incorporate the legal links from Dramafever (/Viki) which I don't think the other databases do.

We should update that a show is subbed only if it's on the internet (either on any streaming sites, torrents or just soft subs) and we could make this as a rule when users submit it for approval. :)

Both? I mean even if Viki is a legal site, the subs are still done by fans which in most cases don't get any pay, right?

As for the extra work, we could get more staff (1-2 users) which will only take care of this and/or only have access to this section of updating/approving that shows have subs. 

Or we could only update the subs section after a show has finished airing/premiered and is completely subbed. I mean, Japanese dramas get subbed later than Korean ones, and also most movies get subbed at least 1 month after it got released on DVD. Another thing, not all shows have subs on legal DVDs but you might find the fansubs online.

Since Skye is giving a green light, we can discuss this further and more and they can decide how and when to implement since as he said, there is not enough time to do everything they want now. :D

bannie:

I've been here for half a decade. I have time. 

looool

Ceki:

looool

haha but no negative sarcasm meant. ive really been here since mdl 1st anniversary. lol

and i know we keep improving slowly but surely

I really want this pretty please. 

This season Im following 6 dramas and it is a pain going everywhere trying to find whether it is subbed :(:(:(

No. it clogs up the list. Legal streaming sites already provide you with the sub process bar (though you don't get a notification) and they're pretty consistent with them for the most part (in fact on viki on the weekly schedule it shows you the sub process bar). Figure out a pattern of when a show gets subbed and adjust as so. If the show is popular volunteered subs are finished within 2-3 days of ep release. Other streaming site release already subbed. Just adjust your schedule. Pretend that the show airs on a wed instead of monday, etc.

If we do go forward with this maybe 2 tags/signs one for dramas with merged subs and one for subtitles are done but you need to merge with the raw yourself.  Older shows a lot of times have subs done on sites like d-addicts, but the user needs to find the raw themselves and put it together with programs like HD video converter factory.