I mainly access MDL thru a basic browser, so no using AdBlock or anything.. usually it's all fine etc but just recently there's just so many ~video ads hijacking my speakers, which indicates MDL now has similar ad-overload like some other sites that got it bad too.. I have to frequently switch to "mute" & take out my earphones or get startled by said ads. 

Is it just me? (Or does everyone else already use AdBlock? lol) 

just get u block origin. it is the ad blocker I've ever had. from my experience, it has blocked all pop ups and just regular ads.

Basic meaning no add-ons possible, but thanks for the rec! 

When I did use a regular desktop, I loved AdBlockPlus, so very useful. 

For now tho, hoping the site itself can go back to just ~picture ads! ;P

Could you take some screenshot if possible. Those sounds like really bad ads that we don't want on MDL.

I managed to record the most repetitive one: http://tinypic.com/m/k2n34g/4 "Salem Five" 

I will add screenshots of another diff one when I get them uploaded somewhere.. 

If everyone used adblock, MDL would cease to exist or we'd have to force people to pay money to use the site (which we never would.) 

Please take screenshots of the ads in question, and either post them here or email them to me at [email protected] . Sometimes annoying ads like this get mixed in

I have to agree with everyone else that I am seriously very irritated with the video ads that are now always showing on MyDramaList.  It really does make me sad because I have always liked this site so much in the past.   :(  Sometimes I can't even text a reply because I'm so busy trying to avoid the video ads.  If I avoid it at the bottom of the screen, then it pops up at the top when I scroll up.  So annoying!

LPA:

I have to agree with everyone else that I am seriously very irritated with the video ads that are now always showing on MyDramaList.  It really does make me sad because I have always liked this site so much in the past.   :(  Sometimes I can't even text a reply because I'm so busy trying to avoid the video ads.  If I avoid it at the bottom of the screen, then it pops up at the top when I scroll up.  So annoying! 

Please take screenshots of the ads in question, and either post them here or email them to me at [email protected] . Also, do they start playing audio when you hover over them or all the time?

Skye-N-Rain:

If everyone used adblock, MDL would cease to exist or we'd have to force people to pay money to use the site (which we never would.) 

Please take screenshots of the ads in question, and either post them here or email them to me at [email protected] . Sometimes annoying ads like this get mixed in

Skye, would you consider keeping the site free but giving people the option to not have ads by paying a yearly fee?

Skye-N-Rain:

Or this: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/suggestions/25850-supporting-mdl

Naksken:

Skye, would you consider keeping the site free but giving people the option to not have ads by paying a yearly fee?

Yes. We've thought about that and most likely will do this soon. 

Really annoying ads won't let me see my notifications. >_<

https://ibb.co/cMuF9b

Thanks, we will fix that soon.

I have hardly visited MDL at all the past months, except when "necessary" lol to update my list or look up info, & every time, those ~video ads were driving me crazy, as recently as this week, just so LOUD & startling, etc. especially if I still had my earphones in. 

So today when I happened to notice the email about the paid sub option for a fully ad-free experience, I immediately signed up! 

Thanks!! I'm also glad to support MDL in general, hope it is very successful for a long time! 

(Maybe still try & find a way to do static-ads-only tho, for the users who can't sub (for whatever reasons) & don't use AB (out of loyalty or device limitations, etc) .. video ones are quite intrusive & distracting (not mention, memory zappers) on otherwise plain webpages.) 

Happy Listing!! xoxo 

Ji-N closed this Feb 18, 2018 06:50 pm