Closed

posting links

This discussion has been closed.

i was wondering what is MDL's official stance, if there is one,  on the posting of links to illegal stream sites?  i've seen some people seem to get very upset about it but i've  never seen a link removed. 

If we ran into it or got reported, we will remove it.

Ji-N:

If we ran into it or got reported, we will remove it.

the MDL stance is "we tolerate it" from my observation
i don't care what people do on their own and which pirate websites they visit, it's their business, but to see direct links to kissasian and ondramanice here... it is annoying,  admins pretend not to see and react only when it gets "reported"....
reporting: https://mydramalist.com/26895-ren-bu-biao-han-wang-shao-nian#comment-2239633

btw, when you click on "report", which one is it:
- duplicate
- no longer relevant
- offensive or spam
- spoiler alert
- incorrect information
?

MadiHawkins:

the MDL stance is "we tolerate it" from my observation
i don't care what people do on their own and which pirate websites they visit, it's their business, but to see direct links to kissasian and ondramanice here... it is annoying,  admins pretend not to see and react only when it gets "reported"....
reporting: https://mydramalist.com/26895-ren-bu-biao-han-wang-shao-nian#comment-2239633

btw, when you click on "report", which one is it:
- duplicate
- no longer relevant
- offensive or spam
- spoiler alert
- incorrect information
?

you're obviously offended by it so i'd pick offensive. 

Offensive or spam would be fine and put your personal comment if you want us to read it. The issue is we can't monitor all comments/discussions/posts so it is up the users to report it if you believe to be offensive or shouldn't be on MDL.

hmm, the issue is... mdl attitude

let's take the above example: i "reported" and you deleted the comment reported

... but there is no "deleted by admin" , did you make clear to users why it got removed? i don't think so... 

2 days and we have in the same place next comment with new links to other illegal streaming sites: https://mydramalist.com/26895-ren-bu-biao-han-wang-shao-nian#comment-2240967

i'm not on my crusade here to report such posts, especially that it sounds aimless if it can soon get reposted by another user, you're the admin and your decision what solution you use or don't want to use, just commenting on the subject

We don't have such system in place. If you think there is a good solution to combat this, please feel free to contact us personally. 

There actually is a way to combat this depending how the MDL server is built.  You program the site to basically ban certain content. Facebook has a form of it installed as well. If you post a link that has certain phrases in that you have put in a list. Therefore when someone posts such link an error message comes up stating that it contains content that isn't allowed. If you put the sites addresses in such a list of banned content and links will not be posted due to this fact. 

It is the same principal  that is used in on-line games for banning certain words in the chat platforms or not allowing certain names to be issued to players when making characters. The only thing I don't know is how hard it would be or the time needed to do it :o)

It is in our to-do list but we don't have enough time nor resource to work on it at this moment.

Facebook is not a good example - they censor everything,  they discriminate, and they block useful and legal content only because links lead to Chinese websites... (yeah, they removed my comments from my friend's fb page)

I thought more about building an appropriate awareness and culture among users, if admins show themselves instead of acting in shadow and treating users as secret police - it might have a different impact, another solution is sth like warnings and blocking a user from posting comments if they keep breaking rules
But it's up to an admin, and as I said, judging by number of these links shared on mdl, it's not like somebody here cares.

I apologize if we make you feel that way. We will eventually improve the system and correct the linking issue. 

MDL has only 2 staff members, the 2 admins. if you don't see them around a lot it's b/c they are also the ones building the site,  which i believe they do in their free time b/c as far as i know they both still have day jobs. 

now, you try to change the meaning of my words, cityhunter, and this is the most offensive thing which I see on mdl
the reported link got removed so Ji-N WAS there, it's not about them not being there, but about their approach
lack of open reaction makes "reporting & removing" aimless so they will only have more and more links & reports to deal with...

a person can be there with out making their presence known.  my point was that the two people who build and run this site are busy and not obligated to spend their time on the site in the way you would like them to.  don't try to use your lack of understanding or lack of willingness to see nuance to call my statements offensive.  

I'm going to close this thread since we answered the question, and will work on improving this issue down the road. For now, our main goal is to get as many licensed content providers to have their links here on MDL [though we do have a handful at the moment.] as this is much more effective way to get people to use licensed streams.  

Also, no reason to get upset at one another. Everyone here is trying to help and improve MyDramaList, and for that we're extremely grateful.