So this is mainly a suggestion and less a bug or error. We are a big community and it seems like a lot of people still don't know that when it says Dec 31st in the airing date that this is mainly a standard setting and not the actual airing date. 

Is it possible to maybe just leave it empty, just add the year and not the exact date or maybe announce it somewhere that Dec 31st is just a setting and not official? 

I've encountered it multiple times every week for at least 2-3 months that someone thinks something is airing at the end of the year when actually it's not. There's been some confusion so to say. It's nothing urgent but I just wanted to bring it to your attention ^.^

Hessa Volunteer Staff

The problem is that if we leave it as 2020 only, people would be able to rate it before it airs because the system think it aired on January 1, 2020.

Hessa:

The problem is that if we leave it as 2020 only, people would be able to rate it before it airs because the system think it aired on January 1, 2020.

Update: I have changed it to year-end by default.

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 Ji-N:

Update: I have changed it to year-end by default.

Isn't it better to have it by the "Drama Status" and "Movie Status"? Maybe we can move the "Drama Status" and "Movie Status" from the Primary Details to the Release information and have users select if it aired or not. If it is "Not Yet Released" and "Canceled" we can't rate it but when it is "Airing", "Finished Airing", and "Released" we can have it rateable.

The problem is that you "changed it to year-end by default", which means short films and student films that don't have a release date and only the year will not be rateable until the end of the year, even though it already was released on 2020.

Hessa Volunteer Staff

Moving the "Drama Status" and "Movie Status" from the Primary Details to the Release information would also help lessen the number of submissions we get. Since both the release dates and the statue are related, people would be able to change them on the same page/submission instead of having two; one for the Primary Details and one for the Release Information.

Hessa:

Isn't it better to have it by the "Drama Status" and "Movie Status"? Maybe we can move the "Drama Status" and "Movie Status" from the Primary Details to the Release information and have users select if it aired or not. If it is "Not Yet Released" and "Canceled" we can't rate it but when it is "Airing", "Finished Airing", and "Released" we can have it rateable.

The problem is that you "changed it to year-end by default", which means short films and student films that don't have a release date and only the year will not be rateable until the end of the year, even though it already was released on 2020.

There is some complication with the data but it is using both at the moment. Right, we don't want it to be rateable till it actually has a release month. Previously most of the older dramas are not rateable when they only have the end year. I will move the drama/movie status if it's not too complicated.

Hessa Volunteer Staff

It seems like removing December 31, 2020, and only keeping it as 2020 makes it show up before dramas that ended in 2020 but began airing in 2019.

You can see it here: https://mydramalist.com/people/13735-wang-yi-bo 

Hessa Volunteer Staff

Still no fix? All dramas marked as 2020 only show up as completed or airing and lots of users try to change it to not yet aired but the system changes it back to completed or airing.

Can you give me a few examples? 

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 Ji-N:

Can you give me a few examples? 

https://mydramalist.com/15618-the-beauty 

You can see lot of them here: https://mydramalist.com/search?adv=titles&ty=68&re=2020,2020&so=date 

So what is the issue with the beauty? 

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 Ji-N:

So what is the issue with the beauty? 

It shows up as airing, so people can't find it in "Top Upcoming Shows", instead it shows up on "Top Airing Shows".