I have way too many things to write about when it comes to CQL/MDZS. Made this thread to put my thoughts on the drama, novel and all other adaptations of the wonderful story there is instead of flooding the drama page with my thousand word posts. This is mostly about finding and analyzing the various tidbits and hidden hints in the drama when it comes to LWJ and WWX's love story. Please do add in your thoughts and findings and feel free to correct my interpretations.

I wanna write a bit (read: a lengthy essay) about the song Wangxian. I have been stewing over this for two months and with a platform to write my thoughts, I need to put this out here for my sake. I think the novel LWJ composed the tune after WWX left Gusu. It makes sense to me that way because WWX's departure would have been the trigger that would have forced LWJ to confront his feelings properly. I doubt he wrote it while WWX was still in Gusu. Imo, LWJ wouldn't have realized his feelings to an extent where he would have written a love song by then. The music definitely had to be written before the Wen sect indoctrination because by then Cloud Recesses was burnt and LWJ sitting around composing love songs when his family was suffering makes him come off as a shallow and mindlessly lovesick character, which he is not.

One thing I realized is that in the drama, LWJ wouldn't have had the time to compose the tune during that time period because he and WWX almost never separated till the indoctrination. But there is one time where he could have done it. That would be the evening when he bids farewell to the rabbits in ep 7. By then, the fact that WWX was gonna leave the next day would have made him acknowledge his feelings to a certain extent (Not yet full fledged love but definitely more than a simple crush). The next day, he departs to find the Yin metal and luckily, WWX joins him. I think the drama did a great job of adding that extra arc of searching for the Yin metal because it adds depth to their relationship. While LWJ has come to realize WWX is special to him, he is yet to warm up to the idea and sort through his feelings. Throughout their journey that's what happens. Ever since their journey starts, (from when LWJ wears in blue clothes in ep 7 and he looks mighty fine in those), his expressions indicate a gradual acceptance of his feelings. When WWX throws that loquat and joins him in ep 7, I believe he must have been super happy that WWX came. Then when WWX uses that new spell he invented (Binding? Bonding?), there's a certain joy and playfulness in LWJ's demeanor despite his poker face when he says "Boring". I think ep 7 to 10 is him fully enjoying being in the company of his crush. He no longer glares at WWX, that's the biggest hint right there!

And ep 10. I believe that is when he actually realizes what he feels for WWX is love. Remember how he looks when Song Lan and XXC take their leave? The longing in his eyes is plain as day. Maybe he realizes he wants to be like that with WWX. Cultivation partners (which is also the equivalent of lovers in the cultivation world, if I'm not wrong). Then WWX says "Let's go" and the way LWJ looks at him...Then that final scene before their parting. WWX climbs onto the roof and how LWJ eyes soften when he realizes it's not an intruder when he hears WWX speak. And those soft eyes again, when he says "Wei Ying, I'm leaving". And then Wuji plays in the background. Give it a thought, WWX is on the rooftop just like that night in Gusu but LWJ's feelings for him have evolved so much. I think this is the second instance of when LWJ could have composed the music. 

That night when he leaves is a pretty awesome time because he has come to realize his feelings completely and acknowledge them as love and he leaves with the image of WWX dozing on the rooftop. I'd say he couldn't have composed it after Wen Chao appears to block him in ep 11 because he's walking in a hurry and Wen Chao's appearance only bodes bad for everyone so his focus would have been the Yin metal. I don't know how many nights passed from when he leaves Qinghe to when he encounters Wen Chao on the road. I say nights and not days because in my head, I always imagine LWJ sitting and composing a love song on a lonely night, thinking of Emperor's smile and looking at the moon, playing the zither and naming it Wangxian in his heart (at least, that's how I imagine it in other adaptations). But I know that's not entirely possible here since in the worst case, maybe a single night passed and LWJ must have journeyed throughout the night, he wouldn't have had the time to do all that. But at the very least, the moon (yes, the moon is a must) and his own thoughts would have been enough to compose the tune in his head while he made his way to Gusu that night. Or maybe he journeyed for a few nights and he stopped at some place (like the one in ep 1 when we first see LWJ before he heads to the Mo house. That balcony seemed pretty ideal to think of loved ones. Oh, it ensures a great view of the moon). Anyways, though he could have done it in ep 7 too, I'd like to think he composed the tune in ep 10.

Also, we have, not one, but THREE versions of the song and each one of them is better than the best. (The lyrics, the music, what did I do to deserve this sort of bliss?) The lyrics of the songs are of longing and missing WWX which is why I think the songs are more meaningful when one thinks he composed it after WWX left Gusu. Despite LWJ composing it when WWX was alive, it becomes even more meaningful during the 13/16 years when WWX was missing.  And I believe that is how the lyrics were written for the adaptations because there is a line about like playing the enquiry to search for a soul. That's why, imagine this. While he composed the tune when WWX was alive, he added the lyrics during the 13/16 year gap (Sigh, my heart aches for LWJ). Also, it's my headcanon that he didn't add the complete lyrics in the audio drama and live action version and after WWX comes back, they both sit and refine the song because there are lines sung from WWX's perspective in these two adaptations. All three songs contain so many little references, my god. As a bonus, I think LWJ's character song, BuWang, is another secret version of Wangxian! While Wuji is a duet that is perfect as Wangxian, BuWang is basically LWJ and his heartmelting love for WWX. WWX's song, Qu jin chen qing, is no less lovely, he's showing his love for LWJ in his own way in some of those lines. Wangxian is love <3

Okay, this was super long but, FINALLY, I'm done.

Ah...., no matter how we dice it, horizontally or vertically, the WangXian love story is just so beautiful. Reading your post, tears swell my eyes, thinking all the 16 years of pain Lan Zhan must have gone through......... I need a fix now. I'm re-watching all the WangXian moments.

Found this video with gorgeous WangXian moments with analysis:

https://youtu.be/P_IGboqDk44

CqlisMdzs:
Then that final scene before their parting. WWX climbs onto the roof and how LWJ eyes soften when he realizes it's not an intruder when he hears WWX speak.

I totally noticed this too when re-watching!  It's such a super small detail, blink and you'd miss it, but the slight softening of LWJ's expression/lifting of the corner of his mouth and you just knew how soft he was for WWX.

I really love how the drama portrayed and further enhanced the LWJ & WWX relationship, even better than the book I think.   One could totally write a whole different book based on their drama relationship and its subtleties.  

I'd posted this in the other thread, but this seems to be an appropriate place for it as well:  Who fell in love first?

CqlisMdzs:

I have way too many things to write about when it comes to CQL/MDZS. Made this thread to put my thoughts on the drama, novel and all other adaptations of the wonderful story there is instead of flooding the drama page with my thousand word posts. This is mostly about finding and analyzing the various tidbits and hidden hints in the drama when it comes to LWJ and WWX's love story. Please do add in your thoughts and findings and feel free to correct my interpretations.

I read that the song was renamed after episode 11 and it is not called wangxian in the ost. Why do you think it is??? I have my thoughts but don't want to tell for now:)

@AlexBBB

Woah! I knew that the song was renamed but I didn't know it was after ep 11! Interesting.. I don't know the real reason though :( I read at one place that it was because the audio drama had the rights for the name "Wangxian" so the live action had to change it but I read somewhere else that the censorship was the reason. What do you think? I'm so curious!

@ChineseDramaFan

Yeah, I love her videos as well! I think one or two things might be her reading too much into the situation. Nevertheless, brilliant observations, so so grateful she is making those <3

@Luyi

(Ugh, I don't know why but MDL is giving me an error message whenever I try to quote other posts so I can't quote the lines I want to.)

I agree with you that the drama version of their story takes their love to the next level. In fact, I couldn't appreciate the novel version of the two characters at first (I read the novel after the drama and after the love they shared on screen, the novel felt bland in some ways) and it took me some time to warm up to them and the reason I have come to like the novel as well is only thanks to drama LWJ and WWX. Also, I feel that the absence of intimate scenes in CQL makes the love story more touching. Besides, the feelings they show through their eyes seem more intimate than what a kiss could convey (I wouldn't complain if they did kiss though, haha).

Thank you for that article, loved it! So nice to read and understand all these different perspectives of WangXian :) I've got some thoughts of WWX's side of things and I'd love to know what you guys think of it!

Here's my thesis on WWX and his love!

I believe, in his own way, WWX is also interested in LWJ from the start. But he is so so so dense that it takes him 16+ years to realize it. I am kinda hesitant to use the term love for either of their feelings on the first meeting, especially for WWX, because that makes it sound like they had some perfect fairy tale like love story, which is unrealistic, and doesn't do their love justice. But it is true that they left an impression on each other in that first meeting and from there it was a gradual journey of discovery, more so for WWX than for LWJ. It was their shared values and views of the world and so much more that brought them together. Would LWJ have pursued his love to that extent only because of WWX's looks? I believe the answer is no. Same goes for WWX.

So, WWX's side of things.
LWJ's reactions around WWX are so obvious but WWX reactions are even more subtle than LWJ's at times.
The first time WWX lays eyes on LWJ, while almost everyone is gawking, his gaze is inquisitive. It's in his nature to be curious about everything and everyone after all. Then that moment when LWJ turns back and their eyes meet, it's easy to miss but WWX takes in a sharp breath and freezes for a moment and recovers only when JC starts introducing himself. An involuntary reaction. Most people would react the same way WWX did when Hanguang-Jun looks their way because he has an intense gaze. My point is, not even WWX, who always enjoys an upper hand on others and who didn't seem all that interested in LWJ is immune to it and in his own way, LWJ affects him. While LWJ analyzes his own reactions and realizes his love for WWX early on, WWX never does because he himself doesn't realize he's reacting that way.

In fact, there are other instances in the drama when WWX reacts like that to LWJ's gaze.
Ep 23, when LWJ comes over to WWX's room to play his Guqin for him.
Ep 30, A-yuan and WWX are play sword fighting and WWX looks up to see LWJ looking at him.
Ep 43, after Zewu Jun reveals LWJ's scars story, LWJ and WWX are sitting across each other and LWJ is pouring the wine. In the novel scene, WWX is looking at LWJ's face and the soft light of the fire seems to make LWJ's features appear more ethereal. And WWX, he's entranced. Seeing ep 42's scene in that light, there's a moment when LWJ is pouring the wine and WWX is just sitting there looking at him and the camera is focused on them for long enough to show it's just like the novel and WWX is admiring LWJ. Then they talk and WWX says something like, Zewu Jun would definitely take action if JYG is found guilty and then, LWJ looks up at WWX. WWX's reaction is so precious. He gets nervous and takes in a sharp breath and averts his eyes before bringing them back to LWJ and his voice when he whispers "What is it?" is almost on the verge of faltering.

Next, his behavior around LWJ. There's a scene in the novel that's partly omitted in the drama.
Ch 66. The scene is too long to type out but WWX and LWJ are hiding behind the hay (yep, ep 44 scene) and WWX is in the process of teasing LWJ. A couple is talking near them (it's Mianmian's family in the drama but in the novel, it's a different couple. They meet Mianmian around the last chapter in the novel). The woman is talking about how their son is always bullying the next door kid and the man says something like "Don't boys bully the people they like because they want them to look at them?" and WWX freezes in his teasing. (It's hilarious how LWJ discovered his feelings on his own but half the people on the planet played a part in helping WWX discover his.)

I think this scene explains almost everything about WWX and the way he behaves around LWJ since their first meeting and anything I add will only be redundant.

WWX is the sort of guy who has got a lot of energy and curiosity about a billion things. In that respect, he's like a kid and he retains that innocence despite everything and I believe that is one reason that draws LWJ to him. WWX isn't someone who would analyze things deeply or review his own reactions and that is why, he is dense a brick when it comes to his attraction. But his body language is another thing. The drama shows that brilliantly. To every small change on WWX's side, there's a reaction on LWJ's side and vice versa in almost EVERY scene and it's a spectacle to watch. And it's more interesting on WWX's side because his body is far ahead of his mind when it comes to his feelings. Just observing their interactions, it's almost embarrassing how it took them so long to get together.For example, those scenes where they have to take some decision, they always need to look at each other before agreeing upon something. Or ones where WWX is doing something and LWJ's eyes are always looking at him peripherally, especially in those initial episodes. And that awesome scene where WWX is talking to NMJ and he walks across the room and ends up super close to LWJ and he stands there and continues talking like it's the more natural thing in the world. Too many to type out, 50 episodes of love worth rewatching infinite times!

On when WWX realized his feelings in the drama. I've been trying to pinpoint this and I think it's really gradual so one scene might not be able to answer that but on when WWX realizes LWJ's feelings it's for sure ep 48 I believe. They are sitting on the cushions and WWX tells LWJ that he didn't have to do the things he did for WWX (sheathing his sword and blocking his spiritual energy) out of guilt (LWJ's drunken words that he feels guilty) and LWJ says he didn't do it out of guilt. WWX asks why he did it then and he' looks so hopeful. LWJ says, It's something that should be done. I think the line would make more sense in Chinese because WWX looks so happy. By then he knows his love for LWJ and when he gets that answer he can put two and two together. There's only one answer to why LWJ went to such length for him if guilt is taken out of the equation. This also coincides with the novel confession but since the CQL team couldn't put that scene here, they did their best to give us an equivalent of the confession I think. 

(There's this scene in the drama where the camera is focusing on JGY (I think?) and one can see LWJ and WWX partly to the right and while they are in no way enacting the confession scene, thinking of what their novel counterparts were doing in that scene, it feels frustrating and hilarious at the same time. I wonder if showing those two at that exact time was deliberate on the crew's part.)

luyi:

I totally noticed this too when re-watching!  It's such a super small detail, blink and you'd miss it, but the slight softening of LWJ's expression/lifting of the corner of his mouth and you just knew how soft he was for WWX.

I really love how the drama portrayed and further enhanced the LWJ & WWX relationship, even better than the book I think.   One could totally write a whole different book based on their drama relationship and its subtleties.  

I'd posted this in the other thread, but this seems to be an appropriate place for it as well:  Who fell in love first?

Both from the first sight:)))

CqlisMdzs:

Here are some thoughts, and please correct me if I got anything wrong. It is going to be long, too.

I I never thought about when Lan Zhan would have written the song. It's amazing that you thought about it and shared your thoughts.

However, since I had finished watching the drama, I kept thinking about what the title was...

When I watched the Untamed, I had no idea there was a novel, nor did I have any information about the drama. I chose it only, because I was watching another drama on WeTV and it continued showing as the 1st drama in the list.

I also hardly read more than a few comments before watching anything to avoid spoilers. I actually wish, I had not read that it was BL (I didn't even know the term:)) before watching it either. Even though it would not have changed my perspective. Just would have been nice may be to discover it slowly:)

When the drama ended, I was sure of one thing : that the title of the song is Wei Ying. The last sentence in the drama is when Wei Wuxian asks Lan Zhan to tell him the title when they meet again. And the last "Wei Ying" for me only meant, that it was also the title of the song. It made perfect sense to me because it sounded like a confession of love. Also it was beautiful that he had dedicated the song to Wei Ying.

So I started checking the soundrack titles and realized that the song was called wangxian in the drama but that on ost it was changed to wuji after episode 11 (before the cave).

I do not know why it is changed (you mentioned may be because of the rights), but whatever the reason is, they would have thought of a beautiful solution.

So could it be that I was right and it is Wei Ying? What is amazing also is that the title on the soundtrack is wuji, (god I love how chinese sounds :)). So doesn't it refer to Wei Ying? 

Or it is possible it is still wangxian. But then, it would only mean that when he asked he already knew??? After all Lan Zhan told him in the cave. That is beautiful, too:) But then what about the audience?

However, both possibilities are beautiful for me (and there might be other:)), so I am just going to keep thinking about it:)

What is also interesting, is that from what I understand wangxian means (forgetting the sorrows?). Chinese is an interesting language. I translate a word into 3 different languages and get 3 different words. However, since simultaneously, I am reading the novel in russian, this is how it is translated in the russian version (was I not attentive reading the novel in english?)

Anyway, let me know, if I missed something, or what your thoughts are.

AlexBBB:
So could it be that I was right and it is Wei Ying? What is amazing also is that the title on the soundtrack is wuji, (god I love how chinese sounds :)). So doesn't it refer to Wei Ying?

Or it is possible it is still wangxian. But then, it would only mean that when he asked he already knew??? After all Lan Zhan told him in the cave. That is beautiful, too:) But then what about the audience?

Wow! Russian! You're amazing.

In the cave, Lan Zhan mouths the words, "Wang Xian".  When it changes to WuJi, in a way, it's still WangXian because WuJi is a homophone. It can mean Untamed, but at the same time, "Wu" also is the character as in Wuxian in Wei Ying's name, and "Ji" sounds like the Wangji in Lan Zhan's name. So whether Wangxian or Wuji, it still means the song for both of them; it's their song, their story.

@AlexBBB

Thank you for the great post!  WWX loses consciousness so he never hears the name and doesn't know it's named Wangxian (just like the novel). So at the end, when LWJ promises himself that he will tell WWX the name of the song the next time they meet, he's basically saying he's gonna confess. The name is equivalent to a confession because when WWX hears that LWJ named the song as WangXian, WWX will realize that it is a combination of their names and LWJ naming it that way makes his feelings blatantly obvious.

As for that final scene, LWJ saying "Wei Ying" is to show us, the viewers, that LWJ and WWX have met up again and are gonna confess their feelings and live happily ever after <3

From what I've seen online, Wangxian translates to "Forgetting Envies" since Wang=forget and Xian=envy. I'm not sure why they changed the name of the song to Wuji but the change is external only and doesn't affect the events of the drama. The actual name of the song in the drama doesn't change, it is Wangxian. And the CQL team again deserve a lot of love and respect for cleverly naming it to Wuji, which is a combination of their names just like Wangxian. What a brilliant team!

Btw, it's awesome that you are reading the novel in Russian! Is it available online?

a question
are you think LWJ fall in love with WWX the moment he see him like how his father fall for his mom in first glance and break many rules  ?!!