• Location: World of Pan

Tanky Toon

World of Pan
Buddy Park
Nov 23, 2018
I have to admit that I had some reservations when I saw the trailer for this short film. Aesthetically speaking, I was unreasonably biased against the cast who did not fit the stereotypical male leads. However, since I am a fan of the production studio, Strongberry, and seeing Kain Guru's positive comment, I gave this film a shot.

Having lowered my expectations, I was pleasantly surprised at how this film elicited a range emotions from outright hilarity to tinge of sadness, as it was not a stereotypical happy ending.

Story: It is mainly about a guy's quest for a quick solution to his lack of sexual experience. His random, not-so-calculated search for the partner who would rid him of his dreaded virginity, lead him to his best friend who was nice enough to help out. Really funny scenes as the main lead struggles to find a guy who is ready and willing.

Acting: The chemistry between the main leads is palpable. Even though some of the cast looked off-putting, the realness of their portrayal propels the story of friendship and how far one goes to help out a friend in need. The banter among them and their individual characters became more endearing as the story progressed.

Music: Not much to talk about

Re-watch value: Short enough to replay again, especially for the hot scenes, but mostly because this film showcases
the strong bond among gay men with the same dilemma of finding the one who, not necessarily loves you, but at least a fantastic romp in the hay. This movie is also a story about missed opportunities, where there is a sudden realization, that the person who you have taken for granted, might actually be the one who can provide a source of happiness.

Overall, a fun and delightful short film.

Table Manner
Nov 23, 2018
The premise started out great and we see the dynamic between the characters, it was not overdone or totally subdued, so there is enough nuance in the story if you read between the lines. Despite being amateurs, the cast delivers a performance that made the characters believable. Cinematography is a plus also and the director took conscious care of the film's rich surroundings despite being in a small random cafe/resto.

The only drawback in the short film is that it left more questions than answers. Although there are moments of clarity, the film introduces elements that are out of whack: like what is the significance of mentioning that of all the days that the scheduled chef broke his arm is the day that Min Jae shows up with the new boyfriend, is it supposed to be a fate-inspired meeting or was it deliberate? Why did Min Jae ask a random question to Geon Woo to see if he truly likes him?

Maybe the true purpose of this film is to make people question their current and past relationships that fall into a cycle, as Noona says, of getting to know each other and once this phase over, moves onto the next.
But despite the average review, I will still encourage supporting the titles coming out from this small production studio. (Strongberry on Vimeo)

Summerdaze
Aug 24, 2018
Story is nothing new, it's one of the most common clichés about bestfriends falling in love.
However, the story-telling is a bit new. I did not realize how a very short film without speaking parts can speak volumes with just their actions.

And here the acting comes in as natural as if the actors are living it. The small touches, the glances, the visible clearing of throats, all gestures
contribute to the beautiful and poignant telling of the story of requited or unrequited love. (depending on one's view).

The music brings attention to the flow and ebb of emotions and moves the story along.

Re-watch value: The need to play this movie over and over again is quite strong, and quite tempting as it is short.

Overall, a very short and sweet film.

Flyleaf of Summer
Aug 23, 2018
I wanted to only write one word about this movie: Terrible, but this site doesn't allow it, so I have to write about how terrible it is in more than 500 characters.

So what else should I say about it:

Story: Simple enough, two boys got the groove on.

Acting: Horrible. You can clearly tell they are just reciting the lines. Monotonous expressions.

Music: None to speak of

Re-watch value: Even 6 minutes was too long for this short film.

Watching a hamster go around in circles for 5 minutes would be more interesting than watching this POS.

And don't tell me that 6 min is not enough to do justice for a movie. Other equally short films have done better. "SummerDaze" is one example.

Dropped 0
I really tried to plow through this train wreck of a drama but couldn't. Just the gratuitous shots that are inappropriately placed was enough to make me hurl. I don't have a problem with half-naked bodies, but it seems to me that this drama is just an excuse for girls/guys to take their clothes off every chance they get. They shove boobs in front of the camera and some ass-pushing going on that seems forced.

Acting wise, nobody acted naturally and the supposed chemistry between the two men who are engaging in an adulterous affair...was not even there. I felt that the actors especially the one playing Jack is so stiff, as if he didn't even want to be there. And the one who is playing Palm is too flamboyant as if he is playing a one-man orchestra.

The characters in this drama are so one-dimensional and almost predictable and therefore I did even bother to watch the rest of the drama to know where it's headed: disaster.

Jul 26, 2018
Out of the Club Friday Stories that I've watched with a gay theme, this is easily my favorite out of them all. I almost did not watch this drama
because Tao who plays Todd, annoys me with his pencil thin excuse of a mustache (I'm quirky like that). But after watching a few episodes I got used to it, (I just used one eye to look at him). And Toni who plays Meng is a hot tamale and his chemistry with Tao/Todd is sizzling hot.

Speaking of which, I have to give both of these actors credit, as Tao managed to make me want to punch him in the face because of his childish antics. He played the role of a free-spirited rambunctious guy who does nothing but cause trouble for Meng. But when push comes to shove, Tao as Todd delivers and becomes the responsible adult that sometimes Nuch wished he was. Toni was also believable as the conflicted Meng, who believes he is doing everyone a favor by being nice. On one hand, Meng tries to cater to his girlfriend's unreasonable whims, and yet on the other, he tries to keep his best friend Tod close to his hip whenever Nuch is not watching. Nuch, meanwhile, is really annoying as the bitchy and jealous girlfriend who does not seem to think about other people except herself. I was so annoyed that I wanted to boot her to the curb faster than you can say "sayonara."

The story is interesting as it took me through a journey where I also felt confused about the actions that Meng took, because it seemed to me he was the center of the drama, and also the center of the problem as he could not seem to make up his mind about what he wanted. It looks to me that he wanted his cake and eat it too, but we all know that couldn't happen. The story however left me hanging and felt that it was not resolved either way, but maybe it is a good thing and this is one of those dramas that I am OK with an ending that is up to interpretation.

Jul 26, 2018
Story: This drama focuses more on Boss than on the romantic relationship between him and Win. It shows how Boss struggles with his feelings throughout his high school days into adulthood, whether it's a one-sided relationship, unrequited love, or a brief wind of romance. I liked also the dynamic between Boss and his mother in particular, about how they truly care for each other.

Acting: Pchy, from Love of Siam, delivers the role of Boss to the T. He plays with such a range of emotion from happiness of his first love and to the sadness of his mother's illness. The actor who plays Win, however, is bland. I believed the Pchy carried the role and made the story more believable as we see him going through the struggle of getting his family to accept his lifestyle choices.

Music: Nothing worthwhile to note

Re-watch value: If only to see Pchy's acting maybe, but otherwise, not really.

Love Online: Extra
Jul 19, 2018
I watched this movie primarily for the supposed BL, but I stayed for the story, and the eye candy didn't hurt either.

Story: I liked the banter between the two leads, it feels like a typical rom-com where the couple started off hating each other and later their relationship blossoms into romance. I feel that I'm watching those type of movies but instead of a girl and a guy, it's a guy and a guy. I found the movie also to be quite funny, from their bickering to them eventually bunking together in the same house. I find it also adorable how they tried to fend off prying eyes, how their story turned into tabloid fodder.

Cast: They were pleasant to look at, really pleasant. The cast must have done a good job to have me in stitches while watching the movie.

Music: Pleasant enough.

Re-watch: I would re-watch just to catch more of the nuance between their actions.

I couldn't get enough of this movie, my mind went into over-drive just watching this. Yes, there is no BL skinship or any mouth-to-mouth action to speak of, but that doesn't mean they do not care or love each other less. The two men were practically attached to the hip till the very end, and even ditched other girls/commitments for more "couple" time.

Faded
Jul 19, 2018
Story: I was pleasantly surprised at how much content was packed into such a short film: there were elements of romance, drama, tragedy, family, youth, and also along with it a message to boot. The dynamic between the mother and the two men were palpable, and although conflict arose between the two men and the mother and son, they were tackled in a realistic manner.

Cast: The mother's acting stood out in this short film for me, but then the story and also the production (though not big budget) helped propped her character up to be a mother who has to choose between her happiness and her son's happiness.

Music: Nothing that stood out.

Re-watch value: I could only because it's short, but I wouldn't as I don't re-watch, and usually move on to the next drama / movie.

One of the lead characters also directed and wrote this short film, which is really something to me. Not that he did something super amazing, but at least he tried and did not end up with a bad film as some bigger productions do. It was even nominated at the local London Film Bunch, a net-working community based in London that features mainly short films. I was mainly happy that this film did not end up like most BL films, especially coming from China.

Rare
Jul 19, 2018
This movie was "Meh" for me.

It looked like the creators THOUGHT they had a brilliant idea but couldn't expand further than what was shown.

Story: Supposed to be tragic but I just laughed inappropriately and that's not a good thing.

Cast: Good enough that they were men. That's it.

Music: As unmemorable as the movie:

Re-watch value: Was that a blip?

Can't justify a long review for a very short film that did nothing but take up 7 minutes of my time but apparently my review was too short to even be submitted so I had to add these last few words.

Kinematics Theory
Jul 18, 2018
I did not have any high hopes about this movie, so I had no idea going in what to expect so I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bland as I thought it would be.

Story: It was a fun and light-hearted movie that moved quite quickly (which was why I was confounded by the turn of events in its sequel, "The Ambiguous Focus.")
The two boys had a love-hate relationship that blossomed into a close-friendship, and eventually into a full-blown relationship (not shown here but in the sequel).
Obstacles were in the way, but they were quite minor as the two guys were able to rely on each other.

Cast / Acting: Not much to say, except that they're hot, especially in their swimming trunks.

Music: Not memorable.

Re-watch Value: I'd rather re-watch something else.

It was neither here or there, but I certainly liked this one better in terms of substance, than its sequel, "The Ambiguous Focus."

The Ambiguous Focus
Jul 18, 2018
I have mixed feelings about this movie / drama. It deviated so much from the movie, not just in terms of plot, but in terms of feel as well, that I am
wondering whether I'm viewing the same story.

Story: This one is so much darker than "Kinematics Theory," relationships more complicated, and there is a lot of sh!t going on
that I wonder if whether it is the fault of the writing or the character's life-decisions.

Acting / Cast: After watching Kinematics, I guess I am surprised at how the lead character development changed from the movie to this drama.
The cast was able to deliver the transition without so much as skipping a beat, and they were believable in their angst and insecurities.

Music: Nothing worthwhile to note.

Re-watch Value: Not entirely sure I would. Maybe would only re-watch for the hot sex scenes, but I'm bad like that.

River Knows Fish Heart
Jul 18, 2018
This is easily one of my favorite BL-themed movies that come from China. It was not rapey, it had some skinship and it did not end abruptly
unlike some other movies or dramas coming from this country.

Story-wise, I liked the simplicity of the plot: two boys who are lost in their own way and finding each other and making good music.
There were quite a few adorable moments between the two, some flirting banter, push-pull-relationship.

Acting-wise, there is nothing to write home about, but the cast were quite decent for relatively new-comers.

Music: It was poignant as it is used to reflect the moods of the characters and their feelings.

Re-watch Value: I would watch it again since it was an easy watch.

Considering that this was an online web movie without the trappings of a big budget production,
I did not go in watching with a huge expectation, and I was pleasantly surprised at how fluid the story was,
maybe except towards the end (which I won't spoil)...that I wish there was more to it.
This made me yearn for a sequel, which is really not a bad thing.

In Between Seasons
Jul 16, 2018
I have to admit, I hated this movie. Maybe it's just me, but there I said it and I'll say it again: I hated it. Even that is an understatement and I am being nice already to give it a 2.5.

Story: I normally read reviews before watching any movie or drama, and since this movie is really new and only had 1 amazing review, I decided to give it a whirl.
Bad decision on my part. Good news is: it only wasted less than two hours of my time. The story was so draggy, I fell asleep that I had to rewind again to see what I missed.....nope, I didn't miss anything apparently. It's like watching those daytime soaps where a scene of somebody slapping can run from a Friday episode to next Monday's. That's why I don't watch daytime soaps, and I shouldn't have watched this movie.

Acting/Cast: Despite my bad review, we have some pretty decent acting over here. I was only able to finish watching this movie because of the eye candy provided here. The mother's acting was poignant, and but not good enough to feel her pain.

Music: I fell asleep....was it a lullaby? I couldn't tell.

Re-watch Value: Once is enough. Unless I'm a masochist, I won't watch this ever again. EVER.

Does the Flower Bloom?
Jul 16, 2018
After patiently waiting to watch this movie, I have finally done so. What to say about it?

Story: I find the premise (after reading the movie summary) to be "cute", however, I had a high expectation going in that
I thought the story would unfold with more plot elements than what I have read. So either the person who summarized the movie
was pretty good or that the story did not live up to it.

Acting / Cast: Aside from some of them being eye candy (one in particular), I can say that the acting is quite run-of-the-mill and
nothing that stood out that I would give any of them an Oscar, but they were believable enough in their roles that I did not spit out laughing inappropriately.

Music: I really don't pay attention unless it's pretty amazing or pretty horrible, I guess it didn't fall in either bucket.

Re-watch Value: Nah, I don't re-watch movies or dramas unless they are playing in a TV screen somewhere and I'm too lazy to change the channel,
which it ain't happening with this one as I had to scour the good old net to watch this movie.

What I liked: There were a few adorable moments (like the awkward lip to lip action - if you can call it that) and maybe I just got curious of how they
would end up or tackle the age-gap issue that Kazuaki kept bringing it up.

What I didn't like: If Kazuaki was so hung up on the fact that he was so much older than Yoichi, why did he keep going back to Yoichi's house with
different excuses? I can't say more than what is beyond the scope of the summary. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against May-December romances,
but when one is just barely going out of his teenage years, and the other almost as old as his father.....what could be really holding them both together
except attraction or curiosity maybe?

They already have enough challenges as it is, being both males in a very restricted culture, and to compound on
that their age gap issue, and other difficulties (like when Kazuaki gets transferred to Osaka).
Would Yoichi's young shoulders be able to handle all these then?
I wanted the movie to address these questions, I guess I wasn't satisfied with the answers to give the movie a 10.